Next generation of consoles come in Page 147

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• mcmonkeyplc 22 Apr 2013 11:54:45 39,440 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Vizzini, I hear there's a forum called Neogaf where lots of clever types go an discuss intelligent things.

Perhaps you would like it there?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• PenguinJim 22 Apr 2013 12:01:57 5,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Noooooo! Stay here, vizzini! You've already outwitted me, Dirtbox, and that moron who vowed that Sony would keep Cell for their PS4!
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Apr 2013 12:10:57 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It must be said, this place was definitely 15.31% more boring when Vizzini disappeared.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Apr 2013 12:23:37 10,582 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Hah! Back to the xeon workstation. I bet ecosse feels stupid for not getting one now!
    If I'd known he was wealthy enough to replace his TV in such short time spans(nice work on the TV upgrade by the way), I would have given different advice, knowing it would be a completely different PC by the time any issues arose. But he'd be quite entitled to take issue with everyone telling him to invest big in an expensive GPU with relatively tiny amounts of gddr5 judging by the PS4 announcement.

At least had he got a LGA2011 system like the DF authors, that extra memory bandwidth would make all the difference to the PCIExpress 3. with a GPU he could have bought next May. And the LGA2011 socket motherboard still might get a firmware to support PCIExpress 4.x speeds.
    Thank you but it was 21 months since my last TV purchase :-)

I did feel the lack of gddr5 this weekend when playing Tomb Raider on Ultra settings at 60fps on my new telly, if Only I had've went for that Xeon workstation....

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 22 April 2013 12:43:24
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    It must be said, this place was definitely 15.31% more boring when Vizzini disappeared.
    You just made that statistic up. Without Dirtbox confirming it I won't believe it.

I have it on good authority that people were glued to nickthegun's fake technical comments that no one bothered correcting.

Rumour has it, his comments were a five way collaboration (that chopsen was leading), resulting in viewing figures rising 20%. References to the Cell processor down 95%, WiiU comments rising sharply and excitement levels remaining unchanged (at Infinity and beyond).

@Armoured_Bear

21months? That's a short life of a TV in my book, I window shop for a new TV nearly that long before I upgrade. You must have started window shopping as soon as you bought the previous one. Have you started window shopping for your next-gen PC yet? That thread will be great :)
  • HandsomeCrab 22 Apr 2013 14:19:55 278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You lot ought to go on Jeremy Kyle to try and patch things up.

GT: carlmadin

• Dirtbox 22 Apr 2013 21:01:40 77,704 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I go to a top secret durango reveal in Hitler's bunker followed by head from Balmer himself and come back to this mess.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• cubbymoore 22 Apr 2013 21:23:04 36,485 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    You just made that statistic up. Without Dirtbox confirming it I won't believe it.

I have it on good authority that people were glued to nickthegun's fake technical comments that no one bothered correcting.

Rumour has it, his comments were a five way collaboration (that chopsen was leading), resulting in viewing figures rising 20%. References to the Cell processor down 95%, WiiU comments rising sharply and excitement levels remaining unchanged (at Infinity and beyond).

@Armoured_Bear

21months? That's a short life of a TV in my book, I window shop for a new TV nearly that long before I upgrade. You must have started window shopping as soon as you bought the previous one. Have you started window shopping for your next-gen PC yet? That thread will be great :)
    I like this new viz.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Apr 2013 12:58:46 10,582 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This is why MS can go fuck themselves.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 13:04:38 59,452 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its a good job the wii u isnt advanced enough to display video on the dashboard.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Psychotext 23 Apr 2013 13:09:34 53,944 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hypnotic.
  • glaeken 23 Apr 2013 13:10:13 11,143 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I never quite get the rage about the xbox dashboard. I turn on my xbox and launch a game. I never spend any time in the dashboard. It's a menu system as far as I am concerned and it's main job is launching the applications which it does just fine.
  • RobTheBuilder 23 Apr 2013 13:10:14 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear especially if you are paying to use gold
  • DFawkes 23 Apr 2013 13:10:43 22,789 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You're a big silly billy, nick :p You used to make a real effort.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Deleted user 23 April 2013 13:11:22
    @armoured_bear

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-19-bbc-embraces-fan-content

I think that is only the beginning. Listen to this guy that works in a prominent role for BBC worldwide(in the US) regarding what is good about the new Xbox. “Frictionless billing” and “great cross-merchandising places” anyone?

"It's been awhile. I think we're going to see Microsoft, for example, really get it right - not that they haven't in the past. You're going to see this next Xbox be a true home entertainment system. I think they're going to have a system when you get into Xbox Live that's going to be very seamless; you'll see more frictionless billing."

"As a media company, for example, one of the things I'm interested in is can we cross-merchandise our stuff on the system? When you go to iTunes and you look up Dr. Who, you get the TV show, you get the app, you get audio clips - it's all there on the same thing. We sell and rent a lot of video on Xbox, through Netflix or through the Xbox video service. We have a great partnership with Forza where we've integrated it with Top Gear. We've been trying to do as much as possible cross-merchandising, so that people get a sense of all the different ways a brand can get into their life. Creating new strategic gateways into these brands is important, and if Xbox does its job right I think Microsoft is going to develop a great cross-merchandising place for us."

I really resent the BBC having a Worldwide arm that uses the BBC name and BBC IP we have paid for through the license, but then acts like any other ruthless corporation dragging our public sector content assets through the gutter.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 23 Apr 2013 13:18:14 6,654 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I never quite get the rage about the xbox dashboard. I turn on my xbox and launch a game. I never spend any time in the dashboard. It's a menu system as far as I am concerned and it's main job is launching the applications which it does just fine.
    I pretty much agree, though I wish I could get angry about this kind of shit.
  • L_Franko Moderator 23 Apr 2013 13:22:09 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I also don't get the problem with the dash, it isn't as if the adverts are taking up much room. I don't even notice them while choosing a game to play.
  • RobTheBuilder 23 Apr 2013 13:22:42 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @vizzini but that income supports the money we pay and allows them to do more than they could with just the licence fee.
    It would be insane for them to only provide free content in the UK and do nothing elsewhere.
  • Deleted user 23 April 2013 13:40:32
    @RobThebuilder

You can't say that without analysis. The BBC is a great flagship in making the UK desirable to visit. Who can say whether letting all free distribution channels outside the UK be a free channel for distribution doesn't make the country more money and reduce the license fee?

As a British citizen, I expect to travel the world and access license fee content for free through PS3 or Xbox or itunes, etc. I resent anyone earning +£100K while working in a private spinoff arm using the BBC content like any other commercial venture. It effectively makes the BBC charter meaningless if they can promote one commercial brand over another through BBC worldwide.

@RobTheBuilder

You also realise that we already get defrauded by the government in them failing to give all the license fee money to the services it is supposed to pay for? Much like the road tax bate and switch.

Edited by vizzini at 13:44:09 23-04-2013
  • ronuds 23 Apr 2013 13:55:17 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    glaeken wrote:
    I pretty much agree, though I wish I could get angry about this kind of shit.
    Yeah, but ADS - RAAWWWRRRRRRRR!!!!! I accidentally looked at one once!!

I'm positive the PS4 won't have a single ad.
  • RobTheBuilder 23 Apr 2013 14:12:58 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @vizzini it wouldn't make more money. It wouldn't attract money to Britain, and none of that would then see its way to the BBC.

Without a commercial venture abroad the funding would be limited and quality lowered. Yes the execs of worldwide earn fairly large sums of money, but given that worldwide makes a profit which helps fund UK content I have no problem with that.
  • spindizzy 23 Apr 2013 14:13:03 6,438 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @RobThebuilder

You can't say that without analysis. The BBC is a great flagship in making the UK desirable to visit. Who can say whether letting all free distribution channels outside the UK be a free channel for distribution doesn't make the country more money and reduce the license fee?
    Are you suggesting that making the BBC content all free would make more people visit the UK? Even if that were true (and it's obviously not), it wouldn't get the BBC more money and so exactly how do you expect it to reduce the licence fee?
  • King_Edward 23 Apr 2013 14:14:44 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They're fugly, and shouldn't be on my dashboard.

Ads that is.

Edited by King_Edward at 14:15:18 23-04-2013
  • Deleted user 23 April 2013 14:42:22
    spindizzy wrote:
    vizzini wrote:
    @RobThebuilder

Are you suggesting that making the BBC content all free would make more people visit the UK? Even if that were true (and it's obviously not), it wouldn't get the BBC more money and so exactly how do you expect it to reduce the licence fee?
    @spindizzy

The license fee already provides more than enough. The government are just defrauding the license fee payer by failing to give the BBC their fair share.

Did the license fee get reduced by 10% when the Government cut the BBC budget by 10% ? No.

Bigger tourism (and exports) in UK off the back of unedited/undoctored BBC content being globally free is a very likely scenario. The other problem with BBC worldwide is whether they are influencing the nature of the content that out license fee more than pays for in full.

Are we getting more Americanized type shows made, by these type of BBC worldwide endorsements of Xbox/itunes and PS3 iplayer? Is this damaging the BBC much deeper than we thought by political associations from channel providers for Worldwide?
  • RobTheBuilder 23 Apr 2013 14:46:05 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @vizzini first sentence, just wrong. We get far better value for money this way.
    The government do defraud the BBC but they hate them so want to destroy them.

Look at what we get from the BBC compared to the cost of SKY. Makes the licence fee look like the bargain of the century.
  • nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 14:52:26 59,452 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BBC Worldwide contributes almost 20% of the BBCs income and pulls in almost £250m for the corporation, most of which is directly pumped back into programs and initiatives that we see domestically, you numbskull.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• ronuds 23 Apr 2013 15:22:11 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What does the BBC do that would make me want to visit the UK?
  • Roddles 23 Apr 2013 15:23:18 1,839 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I MAKE PEOPLE WANT TO COME TO AMERICA. DAMNIT CHLOE, THERE ISN'T ENOUGH TIME.
  • Lukus 23 Apr 2013 15:24:25 19,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wrong thread for inane Vizzini public service ranting, this is the inane Vizzini pro-Sony anti-MS ranting thread.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 23 April 2013 16:08:11
    I agree with Lukus :)

After checking the BBC finances it seems we'd need a different thread about BBC worldwide's +/- points.

So in this thread, I'll just backup to my point about the focus on “frictionless billing” and a place to “cross-mechanised” as a feature of Durango.

I'm not against adverts on dash boards if they are to promote a core console function or game content. But I agree with Armoured_bear about the general adverts issue on the 360 dashboard being completely unrelated to the console product, and therefore have no place to be there.
  • Page

of 402 First / Last