Next generation of consoles come in Page 124

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• CosmicFuzz 6 Apr 2013 00:28:39 23,851 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Always online means pushing out automatic updates, automatically downloading demos/dlc/patches when they come out, it means being able to order something at work online and have it waiting for you installed when you get home. It means being able to stream content to a portable device or work computer. It means lots of things, that's just stuff I've pulled off the top of my head.

Does it mean you-have-to-be-online-to-play? It can do. No one has said that's what is going to happen, although everyone seems to be jumping to conclusions.

There's plenty of benefits and plenty of downsides. We don't know anything yet.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• crashVoodoo 6 Apr 2013 00:48:45 3,871 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    a voice of common sense ... finally

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Dirtbox 6 Apr 2013 01:19:53 77,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Except it doesn't mean a lot of that, the only thing it does mean is patching.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• dsmx 6 Apr 2013 01:36:47 7,589 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You don't need to be always online to do any of that even patching cosmicfuzz, that just needs an internet connection at some point for some period of time and sony are already doing all of that and have already confirmed that you won't need an always online internet connection to achieve it.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• cubbymoore 6 Apr 2013 01:42:38 36,483 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox is always online.
  • PenguinJim 6 Apr 2013 06:07:41 5,830 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :redface:Let's hear from Microsoft Studio's Creative Director: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534951
    http://i.minus.com/jF1Mjq5MZmVHd.png

Edit: how late am I? This news is DAYS OLD! Feel free to use the "Ignore User" button. :redface:

Edited by PenguinJim at 06:10:45 06-04-2013
  • OptimusPube 6 Apr 2013 06:45:53 2,945 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Conversely, this doesnt automatically make sony the champion of the free man. This is a company that has installed technology to stop you watching blu-ray rips into PS3s.
    Since when? or do you mean Bluray rips on disc? I have plenty installed on the PS3's HDD that work perfectly.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• rare_uk 6 Apr 2013 08:10:06 3,562 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Conversely, this doesnt automatically make sony the champion of the free man. This is a company that has installed technology to stop you watching blu-ray rips into PS3s.
    Since when? or do you mean Bluray rips on disc? I have plenty installed on the PS3's HDD that work perfectly.
    he's on about Cinavia which is on certain films. it is annoying
  • THFourteen 6 Apr 2013 08:19:06 33,175 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    why don't you people just get internet at home?
  • Mr-Brett 6 Apr 2013 08:53:32 12,763 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Portable view - Never forget.

• Mola_Ram 6 Apr 2013 09:01:45 7,222 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ...I don't get it. What point is the video trying to make?
  • OptimusPube 6 Apr 2013 09:10:47 2,945 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Confused here too, I'm more confused why it's in that format as well.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• mal 6 Apr 2013 09:17:54 22,453 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dev bullshit bingo I'm assuming.

House!

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Armoured_Bear 6 Apr 2013 09:18:48 10,570 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    That the dudebro FPS games are a gigantic pile of shite and surrounded by retards?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Apr 2013 09:29:16 37,795 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's about the advance of technology, and the talk of the change it can bring. They talk socio-political moments, and using the tech to make emotional cinematic moments... But in the end all they use that technology for is to do the same old stuff.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 6 April 2013 11:36:50
    http://youtu.be/oteIDaK7EdA

So.... It's settled then. Xbox it is
  • RobTheBuilder 6 Apr 2013 11:55:02 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @NeverEatYellowSnow given I've heard the tools are much better this time, plus the x86 architecture is much easier to develop for, that seems a bit of a lame statement.

The point about cash reserves is relevant though. If Microsoft are clever they'll use them to launch at a price Sony can't compete with. They will also be smart not to have mandatory constant online and used game blocking.
  • oceanmotion 6 Apr 2013 12:17:16 15,815 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Microsoft are long past overspending with the Xbox, bean counters run that division now. Marketing will get the funds rather than going into the red with hardware.

They will both sell out for months probably.

What they really want is to get users into the ecosystem of XBL and SEN/PSN were they can maximize revenue. Hardware sales at the start are a given. Will be interesting to see what they do. Contracts, cable TV bundles.
  • mal 6 Apr 2013 14:00:05 22,453 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    the x86 architecture is much easier to develop for
    I don't know why this myth keeps persisting, but it certainly seems to have legs.

Probably its because it used to be true. Compilers for anything other than x86 a few years back were pretty poor.

What is true is that developing for Windows is pretty easy, but that's mainly because (and it pains me slightly to say it, but) Visual Studio is an awesome IDE. And the things that used to suck, like the Windows API and MFC can now be worked around with .NET.

But if you've got a Mac, compiling for x86 and compiling for PowerPC is pretty equivalent. And on Linux, compiling for x86, PowerPC, ARM, MIPS, whatever as long as you've got a distro built for it, is almost identical.

What is good about having an x86-based console IMO is the GPU. It's more of a known quantity, and it's hooked up to the CPU in something resembling a well understood way (although I understand Sony are doing something slightly un-PC-like in how they're putting the PS4 together, but I've not looked up any of the details). And I suppose compiler support for multiprocessor x86 chips is probably more mature than compiler support for multiprocessor Power chips.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• FWB 6 Apr 2013 14:10:11 44,223 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    NeverEatYellowSnow wrote:
    http://youtu.be/oteIDaK7EdA

So.... It's settled then. Xbox it is
    That commentator is awful at his job. Sounds like he needs to take a shit.
  • CosmicFuzz 6 Apr 2013 18:43:28 23,851 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    You don't need to be always online to do any of that even patching cosmicfuzz, that just needs an internet connection at some point for some period of time and sony are already doing all of that and have already confirmed that you won't need an always online internet connection to achieve it.
    Course not. But unless you have some mental set up where you only have Internet for certain hours of the day, you need to let your console be connected to the Internet all the time. Or plug it in before you go to bed every night which I could not be fucked doing.

And yes Sony are doing that now, and it works by leaving your console plugged into the Internet.

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• RobTheBuilder 6 Apr 2013 18:48:23 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mal ok fair point. But it's easier than cell. Plus as all the three main consoles plus PC are using similar architecture it reduces difficulty in conversion and learning new systems.
  • Pazie 7 Apr 2013 18:08:58 227 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's one thing that concern me about the next Xbox needing to be online for the console to work, and that is, I hope Microsoft aren't going to make us set up an account with our credit/debit cards. Isn't this what Sony has done to make the PSN Plus work on the Vita or PS3. I wanted to try out the free 30 days trial, but I wasn't prepared to have to put my card details in to make it work.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Apr 2013 20:31:40 10,570 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Durango Price rumours

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Whizzo 7 Apr 2013 20:56:21 43,088 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hooray more unsubstantiated rumours, just what the world needs.

I had to stop watching the video footage because it was just nonsense, half of it seemed to be the two contributors saying they didn't know stuff rather than anything else.

Edited by Whizzo at 20:58:58 07-04-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• Mr-Brett 7 Apr 2013 21:04:10 12,763 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    It's about the advance of technology, and the talk of the change it can bring. They talk socio-political moments, and using the tech to make emotional cinematic moments... But in the end all they use that technology for is to do the same old stuff.
    A little late here but yeah this is the point, they talk about the amazing new things they're going to do but what they actually mean is prettier, bigger, more, Not new or different.

While that's expected it's ridiculous how straight faced they are about it, especially intense paranoia guy.

Portable view - Never forget.

• RobTheBuilder 7 Apr 2013 21:20:28 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The idea that millions of people will stick with Xbox Live for a crappier console is bullshit. They will only stay if the machine and price is right, the games are right, and if the console gets good launch momentum.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2013 21:24:05
    Whizzo wrote:

I had to stop watching the video footage because it was just nonsense, half of it seemed to be the two contributors saying they didn't know stuff rather than anything else.
    Msoft just need to release info has fast as possible. They are on the end of a internet battering atm, even if the rumours are unsubstantiated, rumours amongst the gaming community are often seen as true and used as ammunition for ages. Even though we know nothing about the console.
  • crashVoodoo 7 Apr 2013 21:41:36 3,871 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:

Msoft just need to release info has fast as possible. They are on the end of a internet battering atm, even if the rumours are unsubstantiated, rumours amongst the gaming community are often seen as true and used as ammunition for ages. Even though we know nothing about the console.
    But all the publicity and press is keeping it in the public eye regardless of it being  positive or negative.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Spunkweazle 7 Apr 2013 22:57:52 470 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    this always online business, is there any chance that is just microsofts way of keeping tabs on their dev kits? since the only information leaking out is via developers with dev kits it would seem like an ideal way of stopping them from appearing on ebay. Maybe it wont even be included on the finished console.

Edited by Spunkweazle at 23:20:26 07-04-2013

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• Page

of 402 First / Last