Next generation of consoles come in Page 110

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• Whizzo 4 Mar 2013 11:57:02 43,151 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's probably just unlocks when X number people do something, they already had lots of stats on how many people had done so many Y things through AC3.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Bremenacht 4 Mar 2013 12:17:59 18,458 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hope AC4 is an all-in piece of irritating social shit updating everyone with trivial, irritating bollocks every two minutes of play

Bremenacht has found 10 doubloons.
    Bremenacht saw a monkey.
    Bremenacht has upgraded his cannon.
    etc.

It's what people deserve.
  • FogHeart 4 Mar 2013 12:57:17 948 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When I first played Umbrella Chronicles I pressed a button on the Wiimote to reload. It wasn't long before I was giving the wiimote a shake to reload instead. I never expected to go 'the other way'. I think it's because I could keep my finger on the trigger and thumb on the top button the whole time I was playing.

The best case scenario for this 'Single Connected Player' scheme is that they borrow from Demon's/Dark Souls for concepts. Other players influence the gaming world but you don't interact with them directly. One thing I hope developers will not be afraid of in future will be tweaking the servers every so often to lend variety to the experience. Think of those 'Black World Tendency' days, or how Gearbox tweaked the likelihood of finding specific types of rare loot on specific days. (I think Valve do things with TF, not sure). It means the game you play can behave differently from day to day and feel less 'flat'.
  • oceanmotion 4 Mar 2013 13:12:36 15,969 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would like to see less shite pop up on screen. XP that, unlocked this, found 1/20 useless tat, upgrade available.

For all the effort they put into presentation, they stick that in your face. Keep it clean and offer a simple upgrade menu if you must have all that stuff. You know, like you had before the XP copy carrot system, otherwise people don't play games I'm guessing.

The connected experience they talked about in Watch Dogs sounds interesting, you have a contract but another player is out to get you before you do the job but a bit, never going to happen that well. I know they had something similar in Assassins Creed but that was a game mode pitting players against each other. Whole different thing when single player is involved. Be interesting to see how seamless they make it, could offer good replay value.
  • sanctusmortis 4 Mar 2013 16:41:39 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zack and Wiki was a great demonstration of how pre-MP Wiimote controls sucked. It needed well timed precise motion, and was nigh-on impossible as a result. Sport Resort's Table Tennis the greatest use of the controls Dead Space Extraction a close second (better on more accurate Move though). Motion makes a simple action tiring, which is why devs used it little; a button press/stick twiddle far more useful.

Big article on Techradar today bemoaning the lack of real GPU advancements this year as big 2 announce mid-range rejigs and nowt else. Also decrying Titan as utterly pointless, as 60% of tech for supercomputer use and utterly useless in a commercial machine. That's what I was talking about last week - the next gen consoles make no big leaps as graphically the tech's pretty stagnant right now. MS resultantly pushing CPU not GPU for new Xbox.
  • RobTheBuilder 4 Mar 2013 16:45:53 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @sanctusmortis but even so MS and Sony were never ever going to use bleeding edge GPU parts for their machines. Even last gen they didn't, let alone now they can't afford the same huge subsidies.
  • sanctusmortis 4 Mar 2013 16:48:47 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    At the time the GPU in the 360 was a year off commercial release, and the PS3 chip never really was. The new machines are literally custom jobs of chips that OEMs already use in systems - the "London" series of AMD APUs.
  • fletch7100 4 Mar 2013 19:56:11 7,331 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Off topic

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/03/pulp-is-first-exclusive-xbox-360-movie/
  • Bremenacht 5 Mar 2013 12:10:30 18,458 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Infinity Ward Steam Box.

Just to clarify, it's that Piston box with 'Infinity Ward' printed on it. IW Tweeted the pictures. Not exciting really.
  • sanctusmortis 5 Mar 2013 17:13:41 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does mean more and more devs piling on the idea of a Steam-linked mini PC, though, which is certainly a thing.

New Xbox being shown off behind closed doors this week - leaked conference notes include talks on "Xbox Gold", which is currently the new rumour of an actual release name (possibly alluding to tiers - Gold being the premium box, Silver the base model). All very hushed, maybe leading to a post-GDC reveal.
  • sanctusmortis 5 Mar 2013 22:27:57 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Getting 403'd every time I try add a better link, but if you go to the source on that article it's got better deets. Seem's it normally partners only, but "select media" are invited. Partners for the reveal maybe?

Edited by sanctusmortis at 22:30:59 05-03-2013
  • timetraveler 6 Mar 2013 06:56:03 61 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Which are you going to buy: Xbox 720 or PS4? I'm thinking about Xbox ;)
  • SpaceDave3000 6 Mar 2013 07:01:29 78,259 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm going to get a PS5. No one has said anything about it yet and I don't know what hardware or games there will be, but I'm thinking it'll be the best one.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Mar 2013 07:03:21 38,339 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They'll admit the x86 architecture was a mistake and go to CELL2.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• djronz. 6 Mar 2013 07:52:17 279 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    timetraveler wrote:
    Which are you going to buy: Xbox 720 or PS4? I'm thinking about Xbox ;)
    Lol... seeing as you're a time traveller you could go back in time and buy that xbox you're thinking about on launch day! ;)
  • CosmicFuzz 6 Mar 2013 10:38:34 24,562 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Vizzini has a gun to their head. Maybe he goes round to the lead developer's house like Sarah Connor in T2.

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• crashVoodoo 6 Mar 2013 12:47:44 3,929 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    So no more backward compatibility ... again!

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• kalel 6 Mar 2013 12:59:21 87,910 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    EDIT:

Ignore me...

Edited by kalel at 12:59:55 06-03-2013
  • sanctusmortis 7 Mar 2013 17:29:37 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sony wants to ship 16m PS4s in 2013

I assume they mean by April 2014, ie the end of the financial year, but still. Kinda crazy to try for 16m in 6 months.
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 17:36:47 54,301 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still pretty unlikely unless they have one hell of a production ramp up.
  • ecureuil 7 Mar 2013 17:37:27 76,871 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's how many they want to ship to stores then, not how many they expect to sell to the consumer? Is that a standard amount?

Edited by ecureuil at 17:37:36 07-03-2013
  • sanctusmortis 7 Mar 2013 17:47:10 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd say at a push they might ship 750k a territory a month. That's 13.5 million in 6 months, if they managed such a massive feat, and that's less than their stated goal. It seems ridiculous, unless they already committed to silicon.

The norm, IIRC, is typically a max output of 1.5 million units a month for production of such a large item. That puts them at 18 million if they already began making them. So, is this their way of saying they have?
  • neilka 7 Mar 2013 17:50:45 16,101 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    vizzini has already preordered 15 million of those.

Lastly, I am gay, disabled, and a liberal.

• CosmicFuzz 7 Mar 2013 17:55:12 24,562 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's even more absurd if it doesn't launch in Europe until after Christmas.

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• richardiox 7 Mar 2013 18:00:00 5,611 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How under their PS Vita forecasts were they after 6 months?

Edit - google says they projected 16m vita/PSP combined for first year of sales, which they have since revised down to 7million. Combined.

So over 50% less. Given Sony's recent history of clouding sales numbers by combing platform totals maybe that 16m figure is for PS3 and 4 combined.

Edited by richardiox at 18:03:43 07-03-2013
  • sanctusmortis 7 Mar 2013 19:08:56 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Sony just dreams of the day they can sell 16m of a piece of kit in relatively short order, TBH. I'm not sure either console can sell that well any more.
  • IronGiant 8 Mar 2013 22:53:52 4,528 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's too much competition out there now for any console to sell anywhere near the amount that this gen has. I'll undoubtably get a new console but i know lots of other people who are happy paying 69p for games on their phones and tablets, the consoles are relegated to being DVD players.

I do think the differences between the PS4 and Xbox will be much bigger than the current machines though. This time around Sony are going all out for a gamers machine and it seems MS are less bothered about games and focusing more on being a media hub.
  • SpaceDave3000 9 Mar 2013 02:46:39 78,259 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Historically there has always been at least 6 consoles in the market per generation, sometimes a lot more, the difference being they were unique enough to have their niche. This current generation has 9.

The video game crash during the first gen had something like 18.

Edited by Dirtbox at 02:51:16 09-03-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• sanctusmortis 11 Mar 2013 11:10:28 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Okay:
    Blow: New Xbox "Not Strictly About Games"
    Yoshida: PS4 "more about services than the system"

Anyone else see some cognitive dissonance here? So far the biggest things we've heard about PS4 are the social all up in your games, and Gaikai Gaikai Gaikai.

This is the next generation: "lol that was kewl must tweet dis screenie".
  • RobTheBuilder 11 Mar 2013 11:17:59 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ďTo me[,] they talk about a console that is not strictly about games. Itís trying to be the [center] of the living room device, which is fine and maybe itís the right thing for Microsoft to do
    No. No it is not. Not in any way shape or form.
    Every time a console manufacturer has tried to be 'the centre of the living room' they have failed.
    Unless there is something special under the hood, the rumours about the next xbox are not very positive.
  • Page

of 402 First / Last