Next generation of consoles come in Page 105

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• RobTheBuilder 1 Mar 2013 16:57:29 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just added a piece of the next gen to Voxel Arcade if anyone fancies a read..:
    http://voxelarcade.com/opinion/will-the-next-generation-of-consoles-be-the-worst-ever-for-gamers/
  • PenguinJim 2 Mar 2013 02:24:19 5,865 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Why advertise high-speed Internet then, highlighting download speed etc?
    That type of marketing is very effective on people with small penii.

Edited by PenguinJim at 02:24:37 02-03-2013
  • Dirtbox 2 Mar 2013 03:31:19 78,209 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    I've just added a piece of the next gen to Voxel Arcade if anyone fancies a read..:
    http://voxelarcade.com/opinion/will-the-next-generation-of-consoles-be-the-worst-ever-for-gamers/
    I'll have a look.

I think its hard to argue against the last generation of consoles being the best that has ever existed.
    Oh, a great way to invalidate every word from there on.

The current generation of consoles (for that is what they still are) were incredibly shit for gamers. Red and yellow lights of death, paid subscriptions for basic services, endless updates, removal of features, online services spending months offline, shoehorned multiplayer, micro transactions, gimmicky bullshit control schemes, endless DLC, the death of nearly 100 great development houses and small publishers and the march of soulless cash grabbing sequels galore put pay to that. The 16 bit consoles were the last truly joyous era of gaming and everything since has slipped steadily down the shitter until we're where we're at right now. You can argue that the PS2 era was better, but it wasn't because the PS2 was practically the only console.

Edited by Dirtbox at 03:56:06 02-03-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• mal 2 Mar 2013 03:55:30 22,569 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you're going to start counting consoles, then the gen before this one should be the best, since I found enough reason to buy all four of the available consoles.

Although the fact I'm now lumbered with four increasingly useless lumps of plastic and metal might have had something to do with the reason I've not invested so much this gen.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Dirtbox 2 Mar 2013 04:02:08 78,209 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Like I said, there was only one console last gen, the others weren't work the dust that settled on them.

• mal 2 Mar 2013 05:05:24 22,569 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aww, you leave my widdle gamecube alone, you big bully!

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Dirtbox 2 Mar 2013 06:59:57 78,209 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The GC was the last straw for nintendo in my book. It had a few nice little games, but for the most part it was a serious disappointment that I should have expected from seeing how Nintendo just let the support for the the N64 trickle away. Seems to just be their way these days.

• beastmaster 2 Mar 2013 07:48:18 11,418 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    I'll have a look.

I think its hard to argue against the last generation of consoles being the best that has ever existed.
    Oh, a great way to invalidate every word from there on.

The current generation of consoles (for that is what they still are) were incredibly shit for gamers. Red and yellow lights of death, paid subscriptions for basic services, endless updates, removal of features, online services spending months offline, shoehorned multiplayer, micro transactions, gimmicky bullshit control schemes, endless DLC, the death of nearly 100 great development houses and small publishers and the march of soulless cash grabbing sequels galore put pay to that. The 16 bit consoles were the last truly joyous era of gaming and everything since has slipped steadily down the shitter until we're where we're at right now. You can argue that the PS2 era was better, but it wasn't because the PS2 was practically the only console.
    That makes for some particularly grim reading. However, your not wrong.

For me, the way I judge how good a generation of console gaming is by my boxes. Or specifically which console I had the most fun with. I buy a lot of games but I trade a lot in and I've still got all my consoles. The boxes are the games from previous gens of games I didn't trade in because I knew I'd want to play them again. The one with the most? Sega Saturn!

A few things you've mentioned above I can ignore as they don't really come into my everyday gaming life. Gimmicky control schemes, shoehorned MP and most micro transactions & DLC.

It's not been all doom and gloom though. I've had lots of fun with the current gen. Best thing to happen is Platinum Software. Damn, their games are good. Just Cause 2 and Far Cry 2 and 3 have been standouts as well.

DLC can be done right. The ESB table on Zen Pinball 2 is brilliant. I also got a Forza Horizon season pass and because I enjoy that game so much, I look forward to the DLC for that.

The death of development houses makes for the grimmest news. I can't see that changing with the next gen. Is it going to be 'AAA' or nothing?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• EMarkM 2 Mar 2013 07:56:30 3,174 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

Nail? Yeah, Head here...
  • OptimusPube 2 Mar 2013 08:31:50 3,031 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:

Nail? Yeah, Head here...
    I couldn't agree more, my PS3 is only used for exclusives now and is more a media box, I use the PC married with Steam and others mainly now and I'm not really excited for this next gen either.

The days of just slipping in a disc or cartridge with no bullshit updates or DLC and playing local multiplayer are long gone.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC

• Maturin 2 Mar 2013 09:03:26 3,006 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The reason I'm more likely to use my PC on a big screen these days rather than a next-gen console is actually not one of graphical power. There's more variety on the PC. Consoles are increasingly boxes for multiplayer shooters and third person adventures. And there's even a lack of variety within those narrow fields as everyone tries to be Call of Duty.

Okay people may scoff at the train-spotter appeal of Euro Truck Simulator 2 but it's been a big (and well deserved) hit on Steam recently. I can play that on my big screen using an Xbox controller thanks to my PC. Right now PC is offering more choice. There are experiences and genres that console manufacturers just aren't interested in offering. And this viewpoint is even poisoning their PC development - Microsoft killed its PC Flight Simulator franchise.

It seems that each generation since the original PlayStation has narrowed down the choice of games available. Remember that platform had games like Microprose's Gunship available for it. I know there's some simple economics behind the choice of Call of Duty style games being the current console vogue. But we only have to go back to earlier in this current generation to see brilliant games like Chromehounds, something I couldn't expect to see released today. And it saddens me that the games I want aren't available in a simple and relatively cheap box I can put under the telly.
  • Dirtbox 2 Mar 2013 09:27:33 78,209 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The PC has always and will always offer more choice, whether through emulation on your TV or playing native games hunched in front of a monitor, it's quite literally the last vanguard against the onslaught of mega publisher AAAAAA crud and offers small and large developers alike an outlet for whatever their imagination can devise rather than what market trends dictate.

All the cash that's been poured into marketing consoles might have brainwashed the masses and that probably sounds fanatical to those people, but it's the undeniable truth of it.

Edited by Dirtbox at 09:35:03 02-03-2013

• EMarkM 2 Mar 2013 09:29:04 3,174 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Me and my mates from the Northenders (Halo2) Clan had a lot of fun with Chromehounds, see also Crimson Skies ("Blue Team haaaaaas the chicken!")

Good days indeed.
  • Phattso Moderator 2 Mar 2013 09:43:47 13,336 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Probably an age thing, but the variety back in the Amiga days and then early to late 90s on the PC was an onslaught of wonder and amazement. It seems a long time ago that the gaming landscape elicited those feelings, including the modern PC output.

That said, it is the PC along with the better tablet/phone output that's sucking me back in again, to the extent that the new consoles on the horizon aren't exciting me too much - and I've pretty much bought every one of the fuckers since the N64 just to have the option to play whatever was good and unique on them. But there isn't much that's worth it now.

I really enjoyed the 360, but it has been diminishing returns for years now and unless they take a staggering u-turn the Nextbox is gonna continue to disappoint.

It's all about the board games now anyways. Get with the program, people.
  • Dirtbox 2 Mar 2013 09:51:53 78,209 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's partially an age thing, but the feeling of boundless possibility that accompanied that era is long over, there are few things that we haven't seen, played or done and we know the highs and lows of what awaits us long before we press start because there hasn't been anything truly new for a very long time.

• Psychotext 2 Mar 2013 10:09:28 54,217 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But next gen is going to be all about the social side of gaming! It's super exciting!

• beastmaster 2 Mar 2013 10:15:22 11,418 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    But next gen is going to be all about the social side of gaming! It's super exciting!

1 / Like / Tweet this post
    And I bet Microsoft will go all out to fucking promote this shit at E3. I expect this years show to be very painful.

• Gambit1977 2 Mar 2013 10:17:20 9,706 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The reason everything clones the successful games is simply the cost of development nowadays. It'll get worse IMO. Games are already expensive, but they are still such a niche that I can't see huge margins in it for devs outside the big boys. For instance For all it's glitter and incredible scenery, the new killzone will cost a fortune to create that kind of inconsequential background detail. But, it's a system seller, which is where the money is ok to be lost as its speculating to accumulate long term.

We've seen a few bigger publishers dumped into the bin in recent years, can't see that changing soon either.
  • Dirtbox 2 Mar 2013 10:19:58 78,209 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Partially. The reason everything clones the successful game is so they can ride the tail of that success.

As I mentioned above, it's called marketing trend and was around long before games were expensive to produce.

But putting that aside, there is nothing left that hasn't been done at some point by someone, successful or not.

Edited by Dirtbox at 10:32:33 02-03-2013

• Gambit1977 2 Mar 2013 10:31:57 9,706 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Partially. The reason everything clones the successful game is so they can ride the tail of that success.

As I mentioned above, it's called marketing trend and was around long before games were expensive to produce.
    Very true. But unlike the days where devs would buck the trend, and take risks, I think we'll see a lot less 'new' than in previous times outside the indie scene.

I actually think the console companies are all looking at their support of indie games as a selling point due to this.
  • Dirtbox 2 Mar 2013 10:37:51 78,209 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Perhaps, but looking at the laughable support they're giving the indie scene in the current generation and how few titles are sold on the consoles compared to the same games on Steam (Super Meat Boy for example) I can't see them doing a good job with it. All the marketing will go into the titles that earn the most money, not the small guys that care about their customers. There are a couple of happy exceptions like Journey, but that was despite their failure to market the game rather than because of it.

I think that it was Sony that said it's the developers responsibility to market their games. And to a point that's fine but without some sort of community spotlight to bring attention to the fact it even exists, it's all for naught.

Edited by Dirtbox at 10:41:52 02-03-2013

• beastmaster 2 Mar 2013 11:08:13 11,418 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's also Steam Box as well. I doubt it'll convert MS and Sony platform holders and the PC brigade don't want/need one.

I like the idea of it and as I'm moving to PC this year, it's kind of appealing but will probably cost too much and not offer enough expansion possibilities.

• Dirtbox 2 Mar 2013 11:15:08 78,209 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They're just branded PCs for people who don't know or care about fucking about building a gaming PC, which is fine. The weakest point about it is that if it's running linux, it's next to worthless for games. I think there are only about 20 games on Steam that currently run on it and mainstream developer support isn't picking up particularly quickly.

• sega 2 Mar 2013 11:18:28 868 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Phattso
    Probably an age thing, but the variety back in the Amiga days and then early to late 90s on the PC was an onslaught of wonder and amazement. It seems a long time ago that the gaming landscape elicited those feelings, including the modern PC output.
    I don't think it's an age thing at all. I also have a fondness for the Amiga despite never owning one. I don't think you'll ever get to an age where you see modern games as crap - maybe a rose tinted perception of the past (as interesting as Amiga games were, gameplay can be a bit patchy in places) but I don't see why you would dislike modern games just because they're modern if you still enjoy it when you discover a title you like.

The reason you're finding games today boring is because they are. It's just the same stuff all the time plain and simple. It's like going to the cinema and only being able to pick from Michael Bay films.
  • DodgyPast 2 Mar 2013 11:27:06 8,469 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Was just thinking, I bought Jet Grind Radio from Steam because I wanted it to last across generations.

I like the permanence of PC gaming. There's quite a lot of stuff I like to go back to. As a bonus if they ever switch of steam you'll be able to replace them with cracked versions.

Until recently there was always emulation to fall back on, but can't see that happening easily with the 360 or the PS3.
    In effect they really have managed to sell games as a service since after they cut off that service ( stop selling or supporting their hardware) you will be cut off from that purchase.
  • sega 2 Mar 2013 11:29:56 868 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I also bought that on Steam, along with Nights and a few others so that I could keep them forever. It's a simple matter of just plugging a laptop via HDMI to a TV with a 360 controller. That's probably the simplest gaming option at the moment too - consoles really have become more complex to play games on than the PC.
  • Phattso Moderator 2 Mar 2013 11:31:37 13,336 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @sega I don't think I mentioned finding modern games boring, although many are, it's just more that sense of possibility (as Dirtbox rightly states) just isn't there any more. Focus on visuals over interesting gameplay is certainly one culprit, but a route for getting interesting niche titles to market is another.

MS had a wonderful opportunity with XBLA/XBLIG this generation to bring us back to that place, and they fucked it off in favour of Netflix. That more than anything has probably soured the consoles to me.

Limited as I am to a Macbook Pro for my 'PC' gaming, alongside an ailing 360, I've been hitting a lot of indie titles pretty hard. There have been some really nice treats in that pile, but it's still a shadow of the older era.

I guess I'm pinning my hopes on other ways to play to get that feeling back. Roll on Rift. :)
  • OptimusPube 2 Mar 2013 11:38:24 3,031 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's an age thing for me, games Like Journey, Limbo and Flower grip me more nowadays compared to the big blockbusters, the last big games to grip me were Skyrim and Portal 2, even Portal 2 is pretty niche but they're so long ago in gaming terms nothing has really got me gripped since I just don't have the patience, the only game I'm excited for in the future is Watchdogs but it's by Ubisoft and their terrible DRM. :(

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC

• Dirtbox 2 Mar 2013 11:42:51 78,209 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Until recently there was always emulation to fall back on, but can't see that happening easily with the 360 or the PS3.
    Actually, at least with the PS3, it shouldn't take that long. Half the battle with emulation is the resources that are dedicated to emulating functions called by the bios, but since the PS3 was cracked wide open a few years ago, it's made the task a lot easier and significantly reduced the hardware required to make it happen because there's almost no reverse engineering and hacking required compared to what went into something like Snes9X.

https://code.google.com/p/rpcs3/

Edited by Dirtbox at 11:50:22 02-03-2013

• sega 2 Mar 2013 11:45:24 868 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aye but if games like Journey and Limbo grip you, you have to realise that they're modern games. If it was an age thing for you, OptimusPube (great name), then you wouldn't like those games either. You're also excited by some upcoming games, so you're clearly not cynical and bitter but rather fed up with the state of modern gaming in general. I personally think it's the loss of love from the developer. Journey and Limbo both seem to be made with a bit of creativity and passion - all the games you mentioned have.

Basically I'm just saying you guys aren't alone and a lot of younger gamers feel the same way. The industry has just lost its way and we're clinging on to a bit of hope that we'll see creativity and passion return before there's nothing left for us.
  • Page

of 402 First / Last