The Great British Bake-Off Final Page 5

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• dr_swin 3 Oct 2012 10:10:03 4,907 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Last night's show was so good. It's cracking family entertainment. If I could go on Jim'll fix it, after I had received the mandatory rogering from old Jim - I would ask to be a taster on the bake off.

Can't help but think that Brendan will win it because of his all round knowledge and expertise. I think the judges would love to give it to someone else though. I suspect they find him a bit smug and arrogant. I would love Danny or James to win.
  • smoothpete 3 Oct 2012 10:14:49 31,708 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sport wrote:
    I'm actually quite inspired to build a gingerbread house/structure for the kids for xmas now. Could be a really fun thing to do together.
    You can get pre-fab kits, I see them in department stores near christmas. They come with all the gingerbread sheets already made. Or you can buy silicon moulds if you're making your own gingerbread
  • smoothpete 3 Oct 2012 10:15:30 31,708 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Man i want to do that now too
  • nickthegun 3 Oct 2012 10:16:20 61,055 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sport wrote:
    I'm actually quite inspired to build a gingerbread house/structure for the kids for xmas now. Could be a really fun thing to do together.
    My wife made an absolutely beautiful one with our daughter. She used caramel to glue the gingerbread together and everything.

After it was finished, she opened the cupboard to get some icing sugar out to dust it and a can of beans fell out and smashed the house to pieces.

I got home from work to find two crying girls and a shitload of smashed gingerbread.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Vortex808 3 Oct 2012 10:18:18 7,470 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    sport wrote:
    You can get pre-fab kits, I see them in department stores near christmas. They come with all the gingerbread sheets already made. Or you can buy silicon moulds if you're making your own gingerbread
    I can't recommend that enough sport.

My wife and son made one of those kits last xmas on xmas eve to keep him busy and build it for santa to have some. Along with his beer :)

It was great fun with our son enjoying it immensely. The fact that lots of smarties and icing ended up in his stomach instead of on the house during construction might have played a large part in that...
  • smoothpete 3 Oct 2012 10:21:18 31,708 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    right, fuck it. I've got nothing planned on sunday so I reckon I'll give it a crack.
  • nickthegun 3 Oct 2012 10:22:04 61,055 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you have an Ikea near you, they sell kits for like 3 quid.

• sport 3 Oct 2012 10:22:43 12,798 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fuck it, let's all do it!!! We'll have our own little comp with the main aim to have fun with family while doing it \o/
  • Ginger 3 Oct 2012 10:24:13 6,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Fuck it, let's all do it!!! We'll have our own little comp with the main aim to have fun with family while doing it \o/
    That is awesome. I'm in (although I think it might take a few weeks before i can get to Ikea)

Edited by Ginger at 10:24:31 03-10-2012

London open taekwondo champion

• smoothpete 3 Oct 2012 10:25:46 31,708 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So it's ok if I don't have kids, and I'm just a 33 year old heterosexual man who just happens to want to make a gingerbread house?
  • smoothpete 3 Oct 2012 10:26:21 31,708 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm miles away from Ikea. I'll just have a go from scratch.
  • Murbs 3 Oct 2012 10:26:29 22,522 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://cbhannegans.com/archive/gingerbread.html
  • sport 3 Oct 2012 10:26:41 12,798 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    sport wrote:
    That is awesome. I'm in (although I think it might take a few weeks before i can get to Ikea)
    Yeah, it wouldn't be right away, prep and planning needed.

But I would perhaps stipulate that baking your own gingerbread would be preferable, but not mandatory.
  • Ginger 3 Oct 2012 10:26:57 6,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    So it's ok if I don't have kids, and I'm just a 33 year old heterosexual man who just happens to want to make a gingerbread house?
    I think you stand a good chance of winning, as there's no sticky little fingers taking the house apart as fast as you're building it.

• nickthegun 3 Oct 2012 10:27:10 61,055 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OK, according to the internet, ikea start selling the gingerbread kits mid october. I feel like some kind of christmas challenge coming on.

• Murbs 3 Oct 2012 10:28:05 22,522 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    I think you stand a good chance of winning, as there's no sticky little fingers taking the house apart as fast as you're building it.
    You may well be underestimating Pete's desire to eat cake.
  • Ginger 3 Oct 2012 10:29:09 6,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sport wrote:
    But I would perhaps stipulate that baking your own gingerbread would be preferable, but not mandatory.
    Definitely. Didn't realise the ikea kit was a flatpack house, ready to go (should have guessed).

In which case, I submit this as an educational starter for 10.

• sport 3 Oct 2012 10:32:51 12,798 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    OK, according to the internet, ikea start selling the gingerbread kits mid october. I feel like some kind of christmas challenge coming on.
    Exactly this!

I might go with something a bit different, maybe a gingerbread Batcave...

EG Gingerbread Xmas Challenge a GO!
  • Vortex808 3 Oct 2012 10:39:50 7,470 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If it goes ahead then we'll certainly try to join in too.

:)
  • smoothpete 3 Oct 2012 10:41:40 31,708 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We'll need some groundrules - ie, you can't substitute gingerbread for cardboard / plywood
  • nickthegun 3 Oct 2012 10:45:18 61,055 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its going to have to be on the honour system, yes.

• sport 10 Oct 2012 13:34:15 12,798 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Right, this week's "French Flavour" was pretty brutal esp the technical challenge - poor Danni.

Looking forward to the final now.

Don't forget about the xmas gingerbread challenge lads. I'll create a dedicated thread closer to the time.
  • nickthegun 10 Oct 2012 13:37:10 61,055 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was quite tough on Danni, especially since john has made it to the final by virtue of only being the second worst each week.

• X201 10 Oct 2012 13:49:36 15,692 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It was quite tough on Danni, especially since john has made it to the final by virtue of only being the second worst each week.
    He would have got the boot the week he sliced his thumb off too.
  • Murbs 10 Oct 2012 14:04:00 22,522 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Nonsense. He was third worst that week they chucked 2 out.
  • sport 10 Oct 2012 14:10:05 12,798 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Doesn't matter though. There's no way he's gonna top James or Brendan next week.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 10 Oct 2012 14:21:53 10,861 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    James for the W1N me thinks.

Also I couldn't stop laughing as Danni's fraisier cake slowly collapsed as the creme patisserie oozed out the sides.

It did look like a tricky cake to make. And damn tasty to boot!
  • BillMurray 10 Oct 2012 14:34:47 7,860 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really hope Brendan doesn't win. He's been so far up his own arse the past few weeks. James to win or by some freakish fluke the other young lad.
  • puddleduck 10 Oct 2012 14:39:35 1,854 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Brendan's always fairly conservative in his actual cakes. He just gets it all done with minimum of fuss and then jazzes them up. Whenever he's tried something a bit exotic, he generally struggles a bit.

James has gotten stronger as the competition has gotten harder. He's definitely the most interesting of the bakers. Funny though how he's a medical student, Brendan's a gardener who just wants to win... and John who dreams of being an actual baker/patissiere (fancy cake maker) is probably the weakest of the three.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 10 Oct 2012 15:24:33 10,861 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would be happy to see either James or John winning. Brendan has definitely changed over the final few shows. Very competitive and no gelling with the other people.
  • Page

of 17 First / Last