Homeland - US Pace Page 16

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• oceanmotion 17 Dec 2013 17:44:45 16,126 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Felt like left overs from what I think the Israeli TV series would be like and the end was very current events, look how neat that was which was a bit lame. Could the political change be the use of military toys which wasn't really a thing before and I imagine the US audience feedback loves the current tone.

It was somewhat an elaborate reset of the show, anything can happen now, doubt the kid will be about, Brody family never to be seen again, Saul doing his private jobs and government on the side to keep his character in the show. Carrie is just a bizarre character, how she still gets a job after stepping out of line many times. They should kill her off next. I guess the only loose thread is the car bomber, probably her!
  • altitude2k 26 Dec 2013 15:39:31 4,880 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Quinn is the bomber.

The real question is whether it was part of the plan or whether he's working for someone else.

Edited by altitude2k at 16:25:01 26-12-2013
  • mrpon 26 Dec 2013 17:58:01 29,564 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can I just say, I'd totally have a go on Sauls wife.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• CosmicFuzz 26 Dec 2013 18:30:29 25,624 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really? I find her incredibly unattractive.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Punctum 26 Dec 2013 18:31:34 1,045 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Well that was a load of old shite.

Probably won't bother with the next season. It would feel a bit posthumous, really, and without point.
  • CosmicFuzz 26 Dec 2013 18:33:09 25,624 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It had to end that way for it to carry on I think. Would be silly otherwise.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Punctum 26 Dec 2013 18:40:27 1,045 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It seems a waste of character investment though. I enjoyed the characters of Brody, Carrie and Saul and, for me, this is what made the show.

If they start with a completely clean slate, then it may work. It won't work if they shoe-horn in the existing characters for the sake of it.

Quinn could be the exception though.
  • altitude2k 26 Dec 2013 18:46:41 4,880 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm happy for them to end it there, and was really the only possible outcome for Brody.

But without Brody I fail to see myself being too interested going forward. I felt myself losing interest without him around during those massive portions of this series, and it only picked up after he came back. That's telling, IMO.
  • monkman76 27 Dec 2013 06:33:19 5,406 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agree with Mola and craigy that the politics have gone dodgy, not to mention far-fetched. Can't believe that's not the end of the road for the show though, I mean without Brody (and Saul to a lesser extent, though he could reappear I guess) what makes it Homeland still? Is it now going to be about juggling motherhood and espionage? End it here, surely. The man the show was always about is dead.
  • monkman76 27 Dec 2013 06:35:36 5,406 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also: we're never going to know who the mole in series 1 was, are we.

Saul
  • Mola_Ram 27 Dec 2013 06:40:30 8,273 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No, Brody was a drag on the show, as was his family. It's good that he got to go out as a "hero", but I'm glad he's gone.

The show is as much about Carrie and Saul as it was about Brody. Brody wasn't in most of this season, and I don't think the show suffered for it.
  • altitude2k 27 Dec 2013 06:44:38 4,880 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    The show is as much about Carrie and Saul as it was about Brody. Brody wasn't in most of this season, and I don't think the show suffered for it.
    100% disagree.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Dec 2013 06:47:06 8,273 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    100% disagree.
    WELL, YOU'RE WRONG :)
  • monkman76 27 Dec 2013 07:19:33 5,406 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Homeland is Brody and Carrie. Everyone else is secondary, even Saul. Take away one of those two, and it changes fundamentally. Carrie with no Brody to obsess over is not the same Carrie.
  • monkman76 27 Dec 2013 07:22:58 5,406 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    He wasn't on screen for most of it, but he was always 'present' in the sense of being relevant to proceedings. Though admittedly less than the first two seasons, which was probably why this was the weakest season for me.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Dec 2013 07:30:31 8,273 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There were some pretty good spy games going on in the first half. It was good enough that I stopped giving a single shit about what happened to Brody.

And even less about the other Brodys that kept popping up to distract us with their bullshit.
  • monkman76 27 Dec 2013 07:35:36 5,406 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agree about the other Brodys.

Seriously though, Homeland with Brody would be like, I dunno, Friends without Joey and Chandler. Might be OK, but it's a different show.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Dec 2013 07:37:55 8,273 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, if you think this was the weakest season, then perhaps a slightly different show might be good!
  • monkman76 27 Dec 2013 07:39:25 5,406 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It was weaker (for me) because there was less Brody and Carrie, so no :)
  • mrpon 27 Dec 2013 09:23:10 29,564 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've heard he comes back Dexter dad style.

I haven't.

• TheSaint 27 Dec 2013 09:28:04 14,829 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is Showtime we're talking about, it's just going to keep getting worse much like Dexter.

At least 24 knew what it was, this show seems to think it's some higher quality drama which may have been the case in the first two seasons but definitely isn't based on the last one.
  • TarickStonefire 27 Dec 2013 09:56:23 3,429 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    100% disagree.
    I 100% disagree on your disagreement, even though it's not clear what you're disagreeing with.

The show is as much about Carrie and Saul as it ever was about Brody. More so. This season in particular: not really about Brody at all. He could have been anyone.

And the show didn't suffer for him not being in it for at least half. Didn't miss him at all. The bits he took part in could have been any character they'd turned really. Kept forgetting she was pregnant. Didn't mind him not being in it.

Yeah.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 27 Dec 2013 09:57:30 3,429 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    This is Showtime we're talking about, it's just going to keep getting worse much like Dexter.

At least 24 knew what it was, this show seems to think it's some higher quality drama which may have been the case in the first two seasons but definitely isn't based on the last one.
    I thought it was alright personally. Dexter has been shit for years though. Season 3 of Homeland was nowhere near even being close to starting to resemble the shitness that both 24 and Dexter became by the end.

But hey.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TheSaint 27 Dec 2013 11:10:57 14,829 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dexter's decline was gradual though.

Bit harsh on 24 it got much better again in the last couple of seasons. I'd much rather re-watch the last season of 24 than the most recent Homeland season.

IMO the show was all about Brody and the last season became far better when he made an appearance. I really don't have any wish to watch the next season with just Carrie, especially as it looks like Saul won't be around much either.
  • altitude2k 27 Dec 2013 13:10:30 4,880 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We can still hold out hope for his return.
  • Deleted user 31 December 2013 17:15:07
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    But that was the point of this season I think. To show the murkyness of the CIA. That what they consider a win doesn't always feel like one, that's what Brodie himself said in the safe house.

Season wise, it was a pretty dire first half, but managed to ramp up the quality for the second. Ending wise, it had to happen for the show to remain viable. I'm actually looking forward to season 4 more than I was season 3.
    It wasn't till the last episode with the TV clip of the press reporting about the assassination i went, hang on a minute.

The Spy game is murky businness, and i really felt this season tried to draw from The spy who came in from the cold. It's ruthless, and they lose track of what is actually happening.

But i think the writers muddled that with the assassination plot - They hanged Brody, and made it a public execution - it's clear that america were to blame. That would bring pretty significant political instability. There seemed to be no fallout over it. It's like the iranians went 'thanks guys' and just got on with it.

The writers didn't show much willingness on the iranian side to despose of the target.

I thought though, that the last episode was pretty good, and rounded off a few things well. I'm not sure about you guys, but after the 4 months break, i kept expecting saul or even carrie to be assassinated themselves. The guy they placed seems the sort to execute a plan like that to further reinforce his own position and break those ties with america. So in that sense, the murky waters and fun side of spying seems alive and kicking.

Edited by joelstinton at 17:16:15 31-12-2013
  • JYM60 14 Jan 2014 03:41:47 16,901 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had been up to date with this season up to episode 9. But it was just so shit I stopped.

I just watched the last 3 eps there, as someone told me they were an improvement. And they were right. Largely down the Brody being back I imagine.

Overall awful season compared the the other two. They really should end it there.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• mrpon 6 Oct 2014 10:18:01 29,564 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    First two episodes up, usual places. Not watched yet.

• jimnastics 6 Oct 2014 11:42:42 312 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Couldn't believe it when I heard there was another series... Homeland always was and always will be about Brody, the last series was distinctly mediocre (needs more Brody), but it came to a definitive conclusion. Complete cashcow to drag out another series, if you have to do it at least keep it somewhat dignified and make it a spinoff ffs.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Oct 2014 12:26:01 8,273 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Brody was shit. I'm looking forward to his absence.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last