Homeland - US Pace Page 10

• Page

of 19 First / Last

• Darren 19 Dec 2012 13:59:39 9,081 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The finale started off a little slow but literally picked up with a bang after 20 minutes and became terrifically entertaining right up to the end. That said, I didn't think season 2 had been as good as the first, mainly because the first season dealt with the uncertainty surrounding Brody and everything leading up to him becoming a suicide bomber. Season 2 never had that same sense of building up to something big but that's not to say it wasn't entertaining. However, I do feel this is a series that could get tiresome if they drag it out too long.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• RMXtreme 20 Dec 2012 02:45:41 3,145 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished watching the second series and I can't think of another show that had such a drop in quality between the first and second series.

The Carrie & Nicholas "true love" stuff didn't work at all and the Dana, terrorist and detective Mike plots were probably rejected every time they were suggested during 24s eight-season run.

Carrie always being right and the general incompetence of everyone else is also starting to annoy me. Not even going to mention all the plot holes, because then this would become an awfully long post.

Two good things about this season: my expectations for the third series have been lowered enough that I'll probably end enjoying it more than the second even if it's worse and the and the ending suggested that we'll see more of "The Bear" than we did this season so that's a plus.
  • Iain815 20 Dec 2012 03:25:06 441 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still can't decide if I liked it or not. I thought the car bomb thing was a bit ridiculous. Nobody noticed an SUV parked that close to the building?

Apparently season 3 will be "smaller in scale", which should be good. I hope they take all the criticism into account. This season pushed the 24 button too much.
  • TheRealBadabing 20 Dec 2012 09:11:39 1,367 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is going to be very difficult to explain how the SUV got moved, let alone how it could be done without a camera somewhere recording who did it. Instant Brody guilty/presumed innocent right there.

I have a horrible feeling it's going to get all tinfoil hat with Saul's old spymaster colleague next season.
  • brokenkey 25 Dec 2012 22:36:15 7,159 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RMXtreme wrote:
    Just finished watching the second series and I can't think of another show that had such a drop in quality between the first and second series.
    Heroes.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• WrongShui 25 Dec 2012 23:28:33 6,624 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Heroes.
    The drop in quality in Heroes was between the first and last episode of the first season.
  • retrological 25 Dec 2012 23:29:11 292 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @brokenkey ha beat me to it. That was an even greater drop off in quality. If only they had the balls to just end it in series 1 with brody blowing everyone up.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Dec 2012 14:29:26 14,444 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep, as soon as we knew where Bordy stood, this series was doomed. Essentially, it was made for just 1 season, anything else is now just lost.
  • THFourteen 27 Dec 2012 14:44:49 34,478 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watched both seasons in about the last 4 weeks, was reasonable television but definitely not a patch on something like 24 season 1. I realise its meant to be different, and more about the psychology of the characters and their interaction, but tbh clare danes has an incredibly irritating character, and most episodes are slow and plodding, and not in a good way like the Wire.

its alright and i'll watch it until it ends, but its not great.
  • superdelphinus 27 Dec 2012 15:10:48 8,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I reckon it will turn out Brody and identikit evil terrorist man planned what happened all along. Either that or the mental marine sniper guy
  • Vortex808 27 Dec 2012 22:03:04 7,592 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Noooooo. I recorded the whole series and have been watching them over the holidays. I have just reached the last motherfucking episode and our sky+ box has had a massive hissy-fit and locked up and reset itself.

When it fires up again I sincerely hope it hasn't lost that episode or it's getting chucked out of the fucking window.

/o\
  • Vortex808 27 Dec 2012 22:05:03 7,592 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Phew. Aaaaand relax.

/Exhales deeply.
  • TopDrawer 10 Jan 2013 11:12:11 17 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I really enjoyed the first season, especially the start of it.

This second season for me was ridiculous. It reminds me why I stopped watching 24 season one when the amnesia struck. I eventually went back to that show and thoroughly enjoyed it. I guess I just had such different hopes for this one, it really did start off like it might be a smart psychological thriller but inevitably just turned into a retarded rollercoaster ride of idiocy.

I really got annoyed by how it was meant to be this smart show and some of the character interaction, decisions and obvious fucking stupidity on display broke the charm for me in this second series.

We shall see what happens in season 3 but yeah. Massive dissapointment for me. Overall 5/10.

A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

• Deleted user 10 January 2013 11:21:55
    Finally just finished series 2 and have to agree with a lot of what you guys said. Enjoyable but deeply flawed.

Take the FBI sweep of the abandoned factory. One character explicitly states that the FBI sweep guys work in pairs so are never alone, yet the next thing we know, one guy breaks from the pack to check a tunnel with Carrie.

Also, Carrie phoned Quinn and organised the second sweep, yet we then cut to her arriving at the factory and the sweep has already been done. WTF?

And, how the fuck did they miss that little room in the first place?

How did Abu Nazeer even get in the US?

Finally, there's no way Brody's car could so easily be moved and positioned right next to that conference hall without anyone raising an eyebrow.

All of which is a massive shame because for 3/4 of it, it was entirely believable and engrossing but fell apart at the end.
  • Dougs 10 Jan 2013 11:29:32 69,537 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And there's no way a car would be allowed within a blast radius of a CIA building, conference or otherwise. Even we have such protections for general Ministries.

But anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it, plot holes and all. I love a good ridiculous terrrrrist caper, fills the hole left by 24 just about, whilst being nowhere as good clearly.
  • monkman76 10 Jan 2013 11:31:34 5,419 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agree with your points @HairyArse apart from that for 3/4 of it it was entirely believable. I felt it started getting too far-fetched from around episode 4 or so. The whole transporting the tailor disaster was ridiculous, for one example of many.

Still enjoyed it, liked the final episode and am intrigued by where season 3 will go - but it was a massive drop in quality from the first season, which I watched for the first time on DVD just before this season.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2013 11:46:34
    It feels to me like they missed a trick with the bit when Brody got taken away again by Nasir. This was a perfect opportunity to bring the "is he a baddie?" mechanic of the first season, and I was certain that was what was happening, but it wasn't.

Third series is set up to be the opposite of the first which is quite neat - everyone now thinks he's guilty apart from Carrie who knows he's not - but I think they blew their load far too early really and there's not much left for this now. It's basically 24 really.

I'm still utterly certain Saul is going to turn out to be a baddie.

Edited by kalel at 11:46:43 10-01-2013
  • AcidSnake 10 Jan 2013 11:49:29 7,298 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The most jarring thing about the factory sweeps to me was that the CIA appeared blissfully unaware of dogs and their ability to bark at stuff they can easily find hidden behind some pipes...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• monkman76 10 Jan 2013 11:50:18 5,419 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We still don't know who the mole is from season 1. But I'm concerned that the writers don't (yet) either.

I don't think we can be 100% certain Brody is not guilty can we? He did after all beat the polygraph in season 1, he could have been lying to Carrie at the end there. He was much more cosy with Nazir when they met in the US than he ever admitted to the CIA.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2013 11:53:20
    Season 2 peaked when Brody was sat watching the video of himself having just lied through his teeth. Reminded me of the scene at the end of The Shield where Vic just sits there squirming knowing that he's completely fucked.
  • TopDrawer 10 Jan 2013 11:53:29 17 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    All of the factory scenes were stupid.

Her running around with an iron bar to fight making tons of noise to fight someone who has a gun. The tin can noise rolling to make her turn and look at the door.

The FBI having absolutely zero communication during their sweep, no, me and carrie are going to look over here, no one even noticing 2 of the group had disappeared of radio-ing in to check. Him moving a fucking massive metal blockade with absolutely no back up or cover when an armed terrorist was meant to be inside?

There were just too many ludicrous things in each episode and this comes from someone who watched every season of 24!

EDITED for me uncontrollably ranting without thinking about spoilers.

Edited by TopDrawer at 11:56:49 10-01-2013

A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

• TheSaint 10 Jan 2013 11:59:03 14,833 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not to mention when they were all listening to her shagging Brody in the hotel room. Surely at least one one of them would have had to excuse themselves to go and crack one out in the toilet.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2013 00:35:18 8,325 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ok, so I just watched ep 10.

...the code to a remote-controlled pacemaker? Seriously? I mean, it's still very entertaining in a 24-esque-guilty-pleasure kind of way, but this show isn't supposed to be 24.
  • steveb07 15 Feb 2013 21:23:57 881 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have to agree with nearly everything people are saying on here. I watched season one and two back to back over the last three weeks.
    The first was superb and I wouldn't have minded if they hasn't done any more. Gripping and fresh from start to finish. It didn't feel like 24 and I'm a huge fan of that, seen them all.

Initially I enjoyed the second season but one or two things got to me as mentioned above. The pacemaker serial number and sweep of the building standing out the worst.

Do I want a third season, no.
    Will I watch it anyway, yes.

PSN: IIIQuid

• Mola_Ram 15 Feb 2013 23:10:58 8,325 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The characters are still great. Any scenes between Carrie/Brody, Carrie/Saul... hell, even Jessica got some decent acting in.

They're what made this show great in the first place, and they continue to shine even with the silliness of some of the plot developments. So, overall, I really liked this season, and will watch a third.

Poor Chris, though. Nobody loves that kid.

"Hey dad, want to play Hearts?"

"No, fuck off Chris"
  • L0cky 15 Feb 2013 23:33:09 1,559 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Poor Chris, though. Nobody loves that kid.

"Hey dad, want to play Hearts?"

"No, fuck off Chris"
    Heh, they should wait 20 years and make Season 3 all about Chris.
  • Deleted user 10 March 2013 18:00:26
    Just started watching this yesterday and I was liking it a lot up until the sixth episode when it became utterly predictable and the heroine falls for the guy who she thought was terrorist scum for no discernable reason.

Fucking awful writing. Not every fucking show needs a love interest for Christ's sake.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2013 09:29:22
    So, I'm a few episodes into season 2 and I see why it's considered one of the worst drop offs in quality of a show ever.

Carrir has fallen in love with a guy who is a literal self confessed terrorist who she has spent a grand total of maybe 3 days with in private. There is zero actual reason for this. Also, they seem to have told Claire Danes to permanent make crazy eyes in every single scene.

Sgt Brody is mad about Carrie, a woman who has harassed both him and his family and uncovered the fact that he is a terrorist. Also she kind of ruined his marriage as well.

It's all just silly and not in a good way. It's as if they just threw logic out the window juat to have a bit of love story bullshit so women would watch a spy thriller type thing.
  • monkman76 12 Mar 2013 09:41:37 5,419 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not going to disagree about the overall plot of series 2 being a bit ropey, but the love between Carrie and Brody isn't as ludicrous as you suggest. Especially for Brody. He can actually be himself (the new, horribly conflicted himself) when he's with Carrie, rather than living a lie. They're kindred spirits, her whole personality is permanently on a knife-edge. She sees a fellow tortured soul and understands him. (Which no one else does, again explaining Brody's love for her.) Bit daft? Maybe. Inexplicable? No.

Also
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    I was liking it a lot
    I don't believe you :D
  • THFourteen 12 Mar 2013 09:42:52 34,478 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Carrie is also an annoying cunt.
  • Page

of 19 First / Last