Is X-Wing/TIE Fighter coming back finally? Quite possibly.... Page 6

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Dirtbox 24 Sep 2011 16:52:10 77,775 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Never played gears of war, I hear it's better than Uncharted though.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Mekanik 24 Sep 2011 17:03:07 3,472 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This was about a new x-wing game a minute ago. Where did all the rambling incoherence of the last few pages suddenly come from? :o

Anyway, i like gears too, and wouldnt mind gears three as well, mostly.
  • ResidentKnievel 24 Sep 2011 17:42:58 6,184 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can't they like both.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Dirtbox 24 Sep 2011 18:07:06 77,775 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In an attempt to get this back on course, I've played through both X-Wing and Tie Fighter recently by using DosBox. The only real tweak you need to bear in mind is to use Gravis Ultrasound instead of the ever shite soundblaster.

• Mekanik 24 Sep 2011 18:08:56 3,472 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    On a side note, how much can you improve the blackness of space with better graphics?
  • Dirtbox 24 Sep 2011 18:11:31 77,775 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Volumetric nebulae, perhaps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCzDKj3hjOE does a nice job of making it all look a bit more spacey than usual.

• ResidentKnievel 24 Sep 2011 18:48:53 6,184 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If I win the lottery I'm throwing money at that Infinity dev.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Dirtbox 24 Sep 2011 19:03:40 77,775 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm praying that Elite 4 manages something similar.

• Clive_Dunn 24 Sep 2011 19:31:33 4,778 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nexus was average at best, decent idea badly implemented.
  • Dirtbox 24 Sep 2011 20:11:17 77,775 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Because it was an overly complicated Homeworld rip off without the atmosphere.

Actually I didn't mind it, it doesn't stand up as an all time great though, by a long, long way because it became a bit arduous after a while.

Still not seeing any point to your line of reasoning though, surely any space game is a good thing at this point, it's not like they're queuing around the block.

• Dirtbox 24 Sep 2011 20:51:10 77,775 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It had a good story, but it wasn't quite enough to carry the rest of the game.

So what is your point about any of this?

• Clive_Dunn 24 Sep 2011 21:05:00 4,778 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow, you really are an aggressive little man. Are you Derek Smart Phd ?

Without it's space scenario Nexus was effectively a one unit RTS without any resource gathering. It could have been really good if it tried to be a spiritual successor to the excellent Starfleet Command 1 and gone down the fleet combat simulator route, but it got lost en route.

No, it didn't have an on-rails shooter segment. It did have a really bad stealth level though, and I sort of gave up there.

I really need to go back and play I-War 2 again. I dig it out every 3 years or so to see if I can beat the first battle. About 10 years of failure so far.
  • WrongShui 24 Sep 2011 21:06:32 6,613 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nipsen wrote:
    Clive_Dunn wrote:
    Nexus was average at best, decent idea badly implemented.
    ... because? It didn't have an on-rails shooter segment?

I'd rather have gotten a proper Imperium Galactica 3.
  • Dirtbox 24 Sep 2011 21:23:30 77,775 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Starting to seriously consider that this might be Del Stupid actually.

Hows your piece of metal from Mars, Del?

• 4gate 24 Sep 2011 23:15:47 362 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Clive_Dunn wrote:
    I really need to go back and play I-War 2 again. I dig it out every 3 years or so to see if I can beat the first battle. About 10 years of failure so far.

Is that the one where you're a child with the ship instructing you, and then you die about 50 times before putting the cd back in the case and throwing the case out the window? I bought that. Really short campaign.
  • Deleted user 24 September 2011 23:25:53
    nipsen wrote:
    edit: By the way, if you like the video, and enjoy the idea of Nexus 2 - they are having a fundraiser to complete the development of the next game.

(..Unless you're happy with playing Gears of Space: Colonial Duty Marine until you sell your consoles and buy a Mac, obviously. Then just ignore it).

So there are only two possible options in your world? A sequel to a mediocre game that no-one cares about or gay Space Marines? Why would you sell consoles to buy a mac?

This is like the most tedious episode of Going for Gold ever; I wonder what Henry Kelly is doing these days.
  • PenguinJim 25 Sep 2011 01:21:35 5,841 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think.. maybe.. lol.. new tie fighter game really needs 3D space to be good.. but you guys won't like it unless it's on xbox. But developers follow a sine curve of impartiality with respect to market 3D and based on "gamers" choosing xbox because if you like shooting in games you are retarded.. a lot of reports show low iq on these forums and only an idiot would post here..

New tie fighter game would need to use Soundblaster to improve graphics of course, but Microsoft has made sure we can't use Soundblaster anymore as part of their xbox plan.

And when Rrrufty says "there are 400 3D space sims featuring superior joystick controls and no 2D radar option and the lead programmer's name is Sven" he is mistaken, there are 3. The rest have no Sven, princess.

But.. a new shooty-in-space game will come out and everyone will buy it if it's like Call of Duty in space and uses 2D.. to help people orient themselves.. therefore making it not real space. xbox ruined space sims. Lair was the last great space sim.
  • Rodney 25 Sep 2011 03:25:34 1,872 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Excellent example of Poe's law.
  • pauleyc 25 Sep 2011 09:38:29 4,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Volumetric nebulae, perhaps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCzDKj3hjOE does a nice job of making it all look a bit more spacey than usual.
    That and the other clip from the 2010 tech demo make me wonder why Braben still hasn't hired these guys for Elite 4.

Those 'there aren't "dozens" of space-sims' and '3D combat claims'...oh dear.
  • Dirtbox 25 Sep 2011 09:48:59 77,775 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Things fly over your head so often, you're required to wear a hat with a little traffic controller in it.

• PenguinJim 25 Sep 2011 09:54:06 5,841 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ...which games do I love?

I don't see the problem with being thrilled by game concepts before a game is made, but that doesn't exactly describe me. My only pre-order for the past four years has been The Witcher 2.

If I'm representative, the console industry is fucked. The only console game in 2011 in which I'm interested is Dark Souls.

And doesn't X have a 3D map? (That's four examples and an expansion, technically, but you know what I mean)
  • THFourteen 25 Sep 2011 10:01:35 33,266 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    I think.. maybe.. lol.. new tie fighter game really needs 3D space to be good.. but you guys won't like it unless it's on xbox. But developers follow a sine curve of impartiality with respect to market 3D and based on "gamers" choosing xbox because if you like shooting in games you are retarded.. a lot of reports show low iq on these forums and only an idiot would post here..

New tie fighter game would need to use Soundblaster to improve graphics of course, but Microsoft has made sure we can't use Soundblaster anymore as part of their xbox plan.

And when Rrrufty says "there are 400 3D space sims featuring superior joystick controls and no 2D radar option and the lead programmer's name is Sven" he is mistaken, there are 3. The rest have no Sven, princess.

But.. a new shooty-in-space game will come out and everyone will buy it if it's like Call of Duty in space and uses 2D.. to help people orient themselves.. therefore making it not real space. xbox ruined space sims. Lair was the last great space sim.

Never played Lair. X3 was pretty good - arent they making a new one?

Also i was massively dissapointed in the xbox version of Wing Commander. WC1+2 and Secret Ops were amongst my favourite ever games growing up, and the xbox live version was utterly atrocious. But i imagine kids loved it :(
  • Page

of 7 First / Last