Path of Exile Page 6

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• JoeBlade 25 Jan 2013 22:03:10 2,486 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Always found it difficult with a Shadow to get any AoE working, or to find spells that suit a dual wield melee build. Definitely one of the more challenging classes!
    Mine uses frost nova (or whatever it's called, I get Diablo clones mixed up by now :) and it works out rather well.
    Combined with viper strike it allows for selectively picking off enemies: viper into the heart of a group, nova, viper out towards the edge, pick off slowed/frozen enemies then repeat.
    Mana potions not optional though.

Just had my first ever hard BSOD/restart since, well, ever on my current PC playing this. I feel inclined to put it down for a while because of it although the game mechanics are awesome. Like Natalie, I'm torn.

Also: the sound seems completely off on my PC. Most of the time sound effects aren't triggered and when they do they're far too silent or out of sync.
    Anyone else had this issue? And know how to address it?
  • THFourteen 25 Jan 2013 23:03:50 32,853 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had an hour or so on this tonight

First impression is, it's ok nothing great nothing shit.

There's something that just doesn't feel quite right about the physics to me. Collision detection seems substandard or something I can't put my finger on it.

It's more Titan quest than Diablo IMO.
  • [maven] 26 Jan 2013 09:38:11 5,148 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm of a similar opinion as THFourteen:
    - The game looks ugly (mostly art design and lighting, but the low poly-counts and nearly non-existent effects don't help either)
    - The combat feels a bit off: Sometimes the target mob doesn't highlight even though my mouse is very much on it (hitbox trouble?), and I miss when I feel I shouldn't (but then there seems to be an accuracy stat, so maybe it's on purpose).
    - I wouldn't have minded a separate inventory bit for fragments and scrolls.

That said, there also are some rather interesting bits to the game, such as
    - The difficulty for me was spot-on (played until the 2nd waypoint in mud-flats, level 4 or 5); single mobs were no trouble, large groups and elites / bosses meant lots of kiting.
    - The passive skill-tree and levelling skill-gems are interesting ideas. I'm not sure how well they will work in later levels, but for now they're certainly different and intriguing.
    - Lots of options for upgrading / tweaking existing loot
    - Interesting loot and attributes, from the very start of the game. The effects (and working) of potions are great ideas. Drop rates seems nicely balanced too (maybe a tad high, but we'll see).

I feel compelled to play more, and the decision to a hardcore character that transfers to softcore on death is also clever (and means I get a huge rush when I encounter a named mob and have to run like hell).
    As I have no idea what I'm doing talent-wise, so I'll probably gimp myself and then be really angry at the game (playing a ranger called "Unrated").
  • UncleLou Moderator 26 Jan 2013 11:34:55 35,421 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Art design can't be argued about, I like it, personally, but non-existent effects? Hmmmm. I think you need to play it some more. :) If anything, I almost find them a bit overdone. Also depends a bit on the skills you use, of course. Landscapes and dungeons also get quite a bit nicer looking than at the beginning.

And yes, the difficulty in the game is nearly perfect.

My HC marauder is level 25 now, nearly at the end of act 2. Tough going atm though, nearly every encounter in the pyramid is dangerous.

Edit:
    Tip for hardcore: health, health, health. And more health. Much more important than nearly all other nodes. Health > all. Really.

Health.

Edited by UncleLou at 11:36:20 26-01-2013
  • hypoBla5t 26 Jan 2013 11:49:09 1,356 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Notes on health taken, thx Lou.

I'm coming round to this quite strongly, I do agree that the combat is slightly dicey but I am enjoying my HC summoner Witch.

It does feel fresh at least and I am enjoying it as an alternative to Titan Quest rather than D3 and TL2.
  • shamblemonkee 26 Jan 2013 12:11:44 14,255 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the art is nice - the way the lighting plays off of everything especially, agreed on the polys though - i actually think its the animations that need most work.

It's for sure a slow burner and i'm getting some fairly severe issues with desync the past few days which i never got before:(

for someone who was a die-hard d2 player this is the best thing since then imo.

here's a few screengrabs from my stats, and latest location in game (which should show you just how much the scenery changes as you move inland.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8217/8416857070_a77a4d3433_h.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8473/8415759829_04a0eadd5a_h.jpg
  • [maven] 26 Jan 2013 15:11:38 5,148 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Art design can't be argued about, I like it, personally, but non-existent effects? Hmmmm. I think you need to play it some more. :) If anything, I almost find them a bit overdone.
    I was mostly talking about atmospherics / lighting, no really particle / skill effects. The game just looks a bit... clean? hard-edged? Dunno, hard to describe. A bit like an architect known for straight-lines and white rooms trying to build something grim-dark.

But yes, I need to play more. :)

How does persistence actually work? It seems it removes your game after a certain time-out. Does the layout / randomisation stay the same between games?
    How does difficulty scaling work with more players?
  • shamblemonkee 26 Jan 2013 16:03:16 14,255 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    each zone is an instance that persists for between 8-15 minutes (i think how busy the servers are has an impact on which end of this range it actually is).

you can ctrl+click on a portal or waypoint to bring up the interface for managing instances - there you can see how long left until it resets or manually reset it.
  • shamblemonkee 26 Jan 2013 18:07:23 14,255 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8090/8416625071_10548a4a04_h.jpg
  • [maven] 26 Jan 2013 18:29:54 5,148 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I died. :( Ah well.

I think it's mostly the high-frequency detail in the graphics that feels "weird" coming from D3. Some of the further zones do look less dreary.
  • Sharzam 26 Jan 2013 18:38:14 2,678 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    After playing PoE i really understand why people were so unkind to D3 as PoE really does feel like Diablo 2 in the modern era. Really reminds you of the 'proper' atomsphere.

The previews were bang on the money.

Now to my question, i cannot work out what i want to play as iam a Duelist at the moment. But really dont know what direction to take the character in. Are they meant to just be melee with strength or dextitry with melee for dodge/critcal? Saying that is dex only for ranged stuff. Arggggh open ended.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• UncleLou Moderator 26 Jan 2013 19:33:45 35,421 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Sharzam You see everything in the game. People play marauders with bows, witches with 2H weapons, duellists with 2 wands, etc.

A pretty standard build for a duelist would be the sword/shield combo - just move downwards on the grid, pick the 1H skill moving downwards, move towards the big area with all the sword skills and the one to the left with the health and health regen. Mind, picking weapon-specific nodes obviously makes it harder to always have an up to date weapon.

Avoid the simple +10 dex/+10str etc. nodes as far as possible, the other nodes are always the better option, unless you have to to get somewhere else. This should make the first 20 levels or so pretty straightforward. Use cleave and double strike (not dual strike, unless you double-wield) as your basic attacks for single respectively multiple targets.

Wear what you want, basically - both evasion and armour or armour+evasion are fine for the duelist, though the heavy armour gear will slow you down more - although there's a node near that removes armour penalty.

There's also a big node (iron reflexes) somewhere to the right of the duelist's starting area that removes your evasion skill and adds your evasion points as armour, so you could build a duelist wearing high evasion gear who is better armoured than a marauder wearing full plate.

Or do something completely different. :)
  • shamblemonkee 26 Jan 2013 23:51:54 14,255 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    when thinking about what route to take on the skilltre you probably need to think about what style you like playing (steady maintenance of mostly predictable damage or gambling on staying out of trouble, typically through evasion by mechanics or kiting as two examples).

also, you probably should have a basic understanding of what each type of defence does.

there are 6 ways of defending your character;

armour - mitigates physical damage
    energy shield - acts as a buffer to absorb some damage before it's applied to life (chaos damage goes straight through ES)
    evasion - rolled against accuracy, if successful opponent misses. spells can't be evaded.
    dodge - applied before evasion, only possible through acrobatics keystone - phase acrobatics applies 20% chance for spells to miss.
    block - rolls a chance to avoid taking damage, if the attack would have stunned you a block animation is played which locks you in place briefly.
    resists - mitigate elemental damage on hit

these are applied as follows: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Hit_Damage_Calculation

1) Avoiding the hit:
    At this stage there is a chance to evade attacks (Accuracy vs. Evasion)
    Any chance to dodge from Acrobatics or Phase Acrobatics is also checked here
    2) Avoiding the damage:
    Blocking is checked
    3) Mitigating the damage:
    Physical damage reduction and Resistances are applied
    4) Taking the damage:
    Non-chaos damage is removed from Energy Shield until it's depleted
    Any remaining damage (including all chaos) is removed from Life

bearing the above in mind you can then start to think about what will be useful to your play-style and therefore also what gear to be picking up.

for example in Lou's post above he suggested taking the iron reflexes keystone which is brilliant for allowing you gear flexibility and stacking large amounts of armour. but by removing evasion totally you'd need to be aware that you're removing a chance to not be hit. and therefore either focus on ES and armour or keep it simple and go straight for armour only with high resists and possibly a shield for block, bearing in mind the block stun mechanics.

Edited by shamblemonkee at 23:54:50 26-01-2013
  • griff0x 28 Jan 2013 09:31:48 702 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    my necro witch sucks with 2h, dual weild wands FTW.
    exploding zombies are great also.
  • shamblemonkee 28 Jan 2013 09:52:40 14,255 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @griff0x sounds fun, I mucked up my shadow build and pretty much got to a point where progression was too hard when the large act 3 areas, realm crashes and my build basically said no! :)

Reverted to sword and board ranger for now, will return to the shadow another time
  • spamdangled 28 Jan 2013 10:09:12 27,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I hate to say it but... well, after so many years playing D2, I sort of now prefer the changes that D3 brought in. POE is sort of just feeling like D2.5 or something. Loved it in beta but now it's sort of feeling a bit... old-fashioned.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• griff0x 28 Jan 2013 10:14:27 702 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    yea i noticed ya status changed, then saw you run past me whilst i was kitting out a m8 in town. i have gone virtually all minion so far. few cast speeds and spell crits, int is ridiculously high atm due to getting the minion passives, zombie exploding is great as is having a second spectre.

its just like me necro in d2.
    love it.
  • UncleLou Moderator 28 Jan 2013 10:28:01 35,421 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I hate to say it but... well, after so many years playing D2, I sort of now prefer the changes that D3 brought in. POE is sort of just feeling like D2.5 or something. Loved it in beta but now it's sort of feeling a bit... old-fashioned.
    I am not quite sure I can follow, because the whole skills and passives system in PoE is radically different to D2, and, if anything, the fact that you can change your active skills at any time is much closer related to D3 than to D2.

Edited by UncleLou at 10:28:37 28-01-2013
  • spamdangled 28 Jan 2013 10:41:40 27,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, but because the whole skill tree is all just passive buffs, it's slightly illusory. You're not, say, spending a point to get an awesome new attack ability, you're spending a point to get a rather dull +5 to your magic or something. The gem xp sort of mitigates that, but...

I don't know. Like I said, it is really good, and I played it a lot in closed beta, but going back to it since open beta and it's sort of reminded me that in reality it's not being as different and interesting as it's making out. I don't know. I just prefer D3 I think.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 28 Jan 2013 10:41:50 27,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nice engine though....

• Shikasama 28 Jan 2013 10:52:46 6,599 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The skill gems are far, far, far superior to the antiquated talent tree systems.
  • UncleLou Moderator 28 Jan 2013 11:17:01 35,421 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I keep trying new active skills and combinations to see what works best, so while you're pretty much stuck with your passive build, the tactical element of D3 is in PoE as well.

I think the game has one fundamental problem right now: life is just too important. While I can't claim to have any proper overview, it seems to me that most people on HC go for life and life regen nodes primarily, to the point of ignoring almost everything else.

Due to how armour, energy shield etc. work, you just can't neglect it no matter what, and at least for melee builds it has the additional advantage of being not just importan for survivability, but as a resource for your skills if you choose Blood Magic. And with the slow mana regeneration and high costs, not choosing Blood Magic is hardly an option at least for marauders and duelists.
  • spamdangled 28 Jan 2013 11:21:05 27,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I do like the barter system, that's one thing atm I think it has over other arpgs.

And in fairness to Blizzard, they have done a lot to try and osrt out the complaints about D3 since launch.

Edited by darkmorgado at 11:22:57 28-01-2013

• shamblemonkee 28 Jan 2013 12:05:52 14,255 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    but the problem for D3, which PoE really exposes is that the item system is as shallow as a puddle, with everything just being reduced to a single figure either based off of weapon damage or armour) there's no damage types, no inate bonus types, etc, etc - which is then compounded by the Ah making the best gear available quicker than you could ever find it - which then turns it into a gold grind, not a loot grind.

The rune system in D3 is also only superficially better, you don't really have many options as once you're in inferno your options are limited by how defensive you need to be.

the only thing i prefer in D3 is the fluidity of the combat.

I don't mind that i'm not always getting a shiny new toy to try every level in PoE, i actually quite like working towards my plan on the passives while juggling my kit and gems. As an example i'm now on node away from Iron Rflexes with my ranger which will fundametally change which gear i look for and how my combat works. that's pretty fun.

Edited by shamblemonkee at 12:08:29 28-01-2013
  • shamblemonkee 28 Jan 2013 12:10:05 14,255 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    griff0x wrote:
    yea i noticed ya status changed, then saw you run past me whilst i was kitting out a m8 in town. i have gone virtually all minion so far. few cast speeds and spell crits, int is ridiculously high atm due to getting the minion passives, zombie exploding is great as is having a second spectre.

its just like me necro in d2.
    love it.
    ha, yeah i really enjoyed the shadow but i was just getting destroyed in solaris temple by champion carpets with augmented fireballs, channelled lightning and health regen :p.
  • spamdangled 28 Jan 2013 12:42:49 27,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    but the problem for D3, which PoE really exposes is that the item system is as shallow as a puddle, with everything just being reduced to a single figure either based off of weapon damage or armour) there's no damage types, no inate bonus types, etc, etc - which is then compounded by the Ah making the best gear available quicker than you could ever find it - which then turns it into a gold grind, not a loot grind.

The rune system in D3 is also only superficially better, you don't really have many options as once you're in inferno your options are limited by how defensive you need to be.

the only thing i prefer in D3 is the fluidity of the combat.

I don't mind that i'm not always getting a shiny new toy to try every level in PoE, i actually quite like working towards my plan on the passives while juggling my kit and gems. As an example i'm now on node away from Iron Rflexes with my ranger which will fundametally change which gear i look for and how my combat works. that's pretty fun.
    Yeah you have a good point with that. Thing about D3, they got so obsessed with the idea of trying to balance PVE and PVP in the same builds that they ended up overly dumbing down the runes. And they did it really late, you can tell because in the CE of the game with the making-of DVD they're still talking about the old system where you found runes, and they applied cool effects to every single power. That would have been so much better.

And now they've pretty much admitted they've just given up on PVP...

Poor old Blizzard, even after all these years and they still can't get balanced PVP :)

• hypoBla5t 28 Jan 2013 12:47:42 1,356 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I have to say I'm starting to come full circle and return to my 'hmmm... not sure' standpoint. Combat is certainly a bit off - it seems to me as if every first attack on a new mob misses for some reason and I kinda miss the schlocky, chunky feedback you get from killing mobs in D3 or TL2.

Will push on I think, would like to see more. D3 1.0.7 looks pretty tasty as well though.
  • griff0x 28 Jan 2013 13:16:31 702 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    d3 got alot of work to do( im sure they will get there, maybe on expansion release as per LOD) 1.0.7 is too little, too late. being an avid fan of the series it was much better when then didnt cater for the kids/casuals as i was liking how hard inferno was before it was nerfed to the floor, now with my wd i dont even need to fire anything up to mp4/5 as my pets destroy just about all mobs.

Combine the d3 grfx engine and the poe mechanics engine and we have something v special.
  • UncleLou Moderator 28 Jan 2013 13:18:15 35,421 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I still think Diablo 3 has the most satisfying combat. It's the most fun game between Torchlihgt, PoE, etc., but in PoE it's just more satisfying to build your character, including gear choices, with different weapons and different elemental attacks actually being different. I really like both games, in the end.

I am just not sure yet if the "hardcore" crowd that plays these games for years will be big enough to sustain PoE, especially as there really is no need to buy anything at all, bar a few stash tabs maybe. Most people will leave PoE once they played through it once or a couple of times, just like they did with D3, or TL2, for that matter.
  • griff0x 28 Jan 2013 13:37:13 702 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    totally agree with the combat style/play, D3 nails this and is far superior to the others. Saying that though its a 9 month old AAA title with millions of $$ behind them so i expected a lot more.

POE is an openbeta of a f2p title from a small 20ish man team from NZ, i can see it doing well if the devs continue the way they are.

microtrans seem a bit expensive though as they are less microtrans and more pump in double figures and we will give you some credit to spend on your transactions.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last