Unofficial Eurogamer Android App V2 Page 4

  • Page

    of 50 First / Last

  • KingOfTheC 12 Sep 2011 09:34:04 288 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah this is so much better than the official one - well done!
  • mikew1985 12 Sep 2011 10:26:29 12,133 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The other one isn't "official" it was made by a johnnywashngo in a time before there were more sophisticated android tools. Unfortunately he didn't have the time to maintain it. Still I don't like to see people rag on it considering it was free and was done in his own time.

    One quick point fb:

    When you bring up the menu in app it gives two options:

    - refresh
    - settings

    This is perfect, i just have a quick pedantic suggestion; I think it would look nicer if the first letter of both words were capitalised.
  • eleven63 12 Sep 2011 16:51:46 1,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Like it - not sure of my feedback will repeat some other requests, but...

    As a pointer, I love the Guardian Anywhere App like the way the content is categorised, and cleverly depending on what I read/open, it then suggests 'Picks' to me (articles/news stories I might be interested in).

    Realise this is beta, and very early days - but would be great to filter articles based on my preferences.

    Currently, as a way to quickly access the forums, its great!

    Good stuff

    Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

  • Razz 12 Sep 2011 16:55:29 60,042 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    eleven63 wrote:
    Like it - not sure of my feedback will repeat some other requests, but...

    As a pointer, I love the Guardian Anywhere App like the way the content is categorised, and cleverly depending on what I read/open, it then suggests 'Picks' to me (articles/news stories I might be interested in).

    Realise this is beta, and very early days - but would be great to filter articles based on my preferences.

    Currently, as a way to quickly access the forums, its great!

    Good stuff
    :D wtf? Yes... yes... this free sandwich you've given me, please could you cut off the crusts, I don't like the crusts. Also could you remove the seeds from the tomato slices.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

  • King_Edward 12 Sep 2011 16:58:13 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The post preview button is pretty clever.
  • eleven63 12 Sep 2011 17:24:31 1,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    eleven63 wrote:
    Like it - not sure of my feedback will repeat some other requests, but...

    As a pointer, I love the Guardian Anywhere App like the way the content is categorised, and cleverly depending on what I read/open, it then suggests 'Picks' to me (articles/news stories I might be interested in).

    Realise this is beta, and very early days - but would be great to filter articles based on my preferences.

    Currently, as a way to quickly access the forums, its great!

    Good stuff
    :D wtf? Yes... yes... this free sandwich you've given me, please could you cut off the crusts, I don't like the crusts. Also could you remove the seeds from the tomato slices.

    Well, if you could organise that, brilliant... thank you ;)

    Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

  • kadooosh 12 Sep 2011 19:16:46 1,202 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Brilliant app for android, well done fb
  • Blaketown 12 Sep 2011 19:48:33 4,630 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah this is great. Well done that man.

    I'd give more feedback but I wouldn't want to seem like a unappreciative cunt. ;)

    Brap, brap, old chap.

  • Blaketown 12 Sep 2011 20:15:43 4,630 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know I was only kidding (about Razz's comment above).

    I haven't found any bugs and I've already talked with freakybun in another thread about the features I would find useful in the future if the API becomes available to him.

    Brap, brap, old chap.

  • kadooosh 12 Sep 2011 20:42:24 1,202 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Im not sure what difference is between the home tab and news? apart from the articles at the top...
  • freakybun 12 Sep 2011 22:06:43 593 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    The other one isn't "official" it was made by a johnnywashngo in a time before there were more sophisticated android tools. Unfortunately he didn't have the time to maintain it. Still I don't like to see people rag on it considering it was free and was done in his own time.
    Echoing my thoughts exactly!

    When you bring up the menu in app it gives two options:

    - refresh
    - settings

    This is perfect, i just have a quick pedantic suggestion; I think it would look nicer if the first letter of both words were capitalised.
    I'll fix that up and maybe change them back at random to catch you out :)
  • freakybun 12 Sep 2011 22:10:24 593 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kadooosh wrote:
    Im not sure what difference is between the home tab and news? apart from the articles at the top...
    Good point. It was more of a proof of concept really. The only difference is the front page is a summary of the last day or so and the news section allows you to page back in time in case you missed a few days.

    Same goes for the reviews tab, its supposed to be an archive but I've not made it very clear.
  • mikew1985 12 Sep 2011 22:13:11 12,133 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    \o/

    :)

    seriously though it's a lovely app man, great work.

    I noticed today when messing around with reading some articles, some of the links weren't working. This mainly seemed to be with articles accesed from the main front page feed.

    I know others have said it as well with pictures not matching up to the article that loads, so thought I'd say I'm having that same issue.

    Doesn't seem to happen if I access the article from the individual feeds ("news", " reviews" etc.)
  • freakybun 12 Sep 2011 22:14:34 593 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    eleven63 wrote:
    Like it - not sure of my feedback will repeat some other requests, but...

    As a pointer, I love the Guardian Anywhere App like the way the content is categorised, and cleverly depending on what I read/open, it then suggests 'Picks' to me (articles/news stories I might be interested in).

    Realise this is beta, and very early days - but would be great to filter articles based on my preferences.

    Currently, as a way to quickly access the forums, its great!

    Good stuff
    :D wtf? Yes... yes... this free sandwich you've given me, please could you cut off the crusts, I don't like the crusts. Also could you remove the seeds from the tomato slices.
    I'll rotate the cheese to a more pleasing angle. Unless you don't like cheese of course, in that case i'll leave just the angle in.
  • freakybun 12 Sep 2011 22:17:39 593 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    \o/

    :)

    seriously though it's a lovely app man, great work.

    I noticed today when messing around with reading some articles, some of the links weren't working. This mainly seemed to be with articles accesed from the main front page feed.

    I know others have said it as well with pictures not matching up to the article that loads, so thought I'd say I'm having that same issue.

    Doesn't seem to happen if I access the article from the individual feeds ("news", " reviews" etc.)
    Do you mean the links in the article copy or the link to the actual article?
  • mikew1985 12 Sep 2011 23:12:52 12,133 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry I mean the actual article.

    For example I was trying to get into the retrospective on Discworld Noir and it was taking me to the Digital Foundry piece on ICO and SoTC
  • freakybun 12 Sep 2011 23:24:55 593 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Sorry I mean the actual article.

    For example I was trying to get into the retrospective on Discworld Noir and it was taking me to the Digital Foundry piece on ICO and SoTC
    How strange, I've been randomly clicking around on the top features and cannot reproduce.

    Do you remember if you did anything like refresh the page or something? I would be nice if it was something simple like that, but these things seldom are!
  • crashVoodoo 13 Sep 2011 08:37:07 3,821 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    when i was looking at the syndicate images earlier i was trying to swipe between them but it wasn't working. my brain couldn't compute this and I thought my touchscreen was buggered :-P

    a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

  • mikew1985 13 Sep 2011 08:54:43 12,133 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    freakybun wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Sorry I mean the actual article.

    For example I was trying to get into the retrospective on Discworld Noir and it was taking me to the Digital Foundry piece on ICO and SoTC

    How strange, I've been randomly clicking around on the top features and cannot reproduce.

    Do you remember if you did anything like refresh the page or something? I would be nice if it was something simple like that, but these things seldom are!

    I tried to referesh the page several times to make sure it wasn't just a weird once off but no joy, I was consistently getting the DF article.
  • King_Edward 13 Sep 2011 10:04:12 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    spoiler no spoiler

    Spoilers seem a bit random
  • Deleted user 13 September 2011 11:48:44
    Excellent app! Made my day.
  • Deleted user 13 September 2011 11:53:08
    I've just found something out. When using the  new app I was reading the old app thread, and you posted a link to this thread. It's a forum link, but tries to open with the installed browsers. Is there no way to make Eg links open with the Eg app when using it? If that makes sense.....
  • freakybun 13 Sep 2011 18:08:44 593 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    when i was looking at the syndicate images earlier i was trying to swipe between them but it wasn't working. my brain couldn't compute this and I thought my touchscreen was buggered :-P
    You're brain is safe:) I never put swiping in the screenshots section. I completely forgot about that, so I'll file that away one on a future release...
  • freakybun 13 Sep 2011 18:14:09 593 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    spoiler no spoiler

    Spoilers seem a bit random

    Edited by King_Edward at 10:08:36 13-09-2011
    Horay! A bug I can track. Your post when edited goes back to normal... its on my list now, cheers.

    Loving the way you showed the bug by reporting the bug.
  • freakybun 13 Sep 2011 18:15:51 593 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nipples wrote:
    I've just found something out. When using the  new app I was reading the old app thread, and you posted a link to this thread. It's a forum link, but tries to open with the installed browsers. Is there no way to make Eg links open with the Eg app when using it? If that makes sense.....
    Makes perfect sense. I forgot to put the URL handling code in the forum.

    I'll fix that.
  • freakybun 13 Sep 2011 18:33:39 593 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Update

    The kind developers at EG took time out to give me access to their API yesterday.

    The good news is most of the stuff will map directly onto my objects without much if any modification.

    Its going to take a little while cause, for those of you that develop, I'm a test first Guy and writing tests takes longer than writing the actual code. Less bugs is the outcome though.

    But from time to time I do write stuff that's not tested, the text entry for example, because you're learning. This is, by the way, my first Ui android project.

    The plan now is to integrate the API for release 2, handle the bugs for release 3 then do some cool stuff.

    Thanks for the feedback, it's invaluable. So keep it coming.

  • KingOfTheC 13 Sep 2011 18:41:20 288 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    The other one isn't "official" it was made by a johnnywashngo in a time before there were more sophisticated android tools. Unfortunately he didn't have the time to maintain it. Still I don't like to see people rag on it considering it was free and was done in his own time.

    Edited by mikew1985 at 10:27:03 12-09-2011
    Ah you see this I didn't know, I'd always assumed it was official.

    To be fair, it could have been a crude drawing of a turd and it would still be better than anything I could create, so I'm not one to pass comment.
  • psychokitten Moderator 13 Sep 2011 18:42:22 7,791 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fair play, freakybun! :)
    Not that I have an Android phone right now, mind.
  • Page

    of 50 First / Last

Log in or register to reply