• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Duffking 15 Sep 2011 00:26:03 7,554 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    [maven] wrote:
    First impressions from the release version:
    Single player maps as good as ever
    Looks really impressive and runs really well (2560x1440 on "Nice" my late 2010 iMac)
    Handling model includes controlled drifting and is good fun (I didn't really like the old Canyon handling)
    Canyon tile set is surprisingly versatile

I noticed a few extra blocks there when I went to validate my map earlier. You can transition directly into banked curves on roadrace pieces which is a change, that wasn't there in the beta.
  • jimmac 15 Sep 2011 00:31:43 229 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone else having trouble with the install. Mine keeps getting stuck on the tmcanyon_hd file. The installer just hangs and I have to use the task manager to close it. Tried it to two different hard drives with the same result.

Any ideas?
  • AHiFi 15 Sep 2011 00:35:25 1,665 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can anyone tell me whether or not the 360 wireless wheel is compatible with this?
  • Duffking 15 Sep 2011 00:43:29 7,554 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jimmac wrote:
    Anyone else having trouble with the install. Mine keeps getting stuck on the tmcanyon_hd file. The installer just hangs and I have to use the task manager to close it. Tried it to two different hard drives with the same result.

Any ideas?

run as Administrator perhaps?
  • urban 15 Sep 2011 01:16:02 11,067 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are you running xp?
  • jimmac 15 Sep 2011 01:21:20 229 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I am running XP yes.
  • [maven] 15 Sep 2011 09:20:43 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AHiFi wrote:
    Can anyone tell me whether or not the 360 wireless wheel is compatible with this?

I'd guess probably, but I don't think you'd want to. Digital, frantic keyboard tap-tapping all the way.
  • Tricky 15 Sep 2011 10:17:04 4,485 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    [maven] wrote:
    AHiFi wrote:

I'd guess probably, but I don't think you'd want to. Digital, frantic keyboard tap-tapping all the way.

Now now gentlemen - back away from the age old Trackmania keyboard/gamepad debate :-)

Assuming you've got the wireless adapter then there's no reason why the pad wouldn't work AHiFi - the wired one works fine so the wireless one should do too.
  • Tricky 15 Sep 2011 10:41:00 4,485 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Feck me, so he did.

/wonders what else I've misread this morning...
  • urban 15 Sep 2011 10:48:38 11,067 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jimmac wrote:
    I am running XP yes.

So for some people under Windows XP, the in-game updater will fail to update the game executable, and will refuse to launch.

You can download and apply over your current installation this setup:

http://files.maniaplanet.com/RC3/Trackmania2Canyon_Minimal_Setup.exe
  • AHiFi 15 Sep 2011 11:03:04 1,665 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A pad it is, thanks fellas.
  • urban 15 Sep 2011 13:31:21 11,067 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For the record I hate fullspeed maps. They might as well be called 'take the pixel perfect line that the map creator used' or Ski electrix.
  • [maven] 15 Sep 2011 13:32:26 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is there a way to add buddies through the http://player.maniaplanet.com site? I can see them, but haven't found a way to add new ones...
  • jimmac 15 Sep 2011 23:37:45 229 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Used that link to download and then updated in game and it worked fine. Thanks.

Ran the first track about 4 times and as I crossed the line for my first gold medal the game crashed my PC completely. Black screen no input to monitor. Had to do a hard reset.

Judging by the support forums it seems pretty common. I knew I shouldn't have broken my rule about buying things as soon as they come out. Very disappointing.

Going to leave it for a couple of weeks till they sort it out.
  • mingster 17 Sep 2011 22:49:08 3,293 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm running it on Win7 32bit. Installed first time no problems. Have done all the A + B tracks offline to at least silver. Played about 6 hours offline and about 4 hours online not had a single crash or glitch. Works fine for me. There are a lot of settings you can change in the options. I put vsync on nad run in Fast mode get constant 75fps. Good game.
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 18 Sep 2011 11:35:40 141 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm Bedders in the game.

Will go through the thread and add anyone else who's posted their name.
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 18 Sep 2011 11:49:01 141 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    jimmac wrote:
    Used that link to download and then updated in game and it worked fine. Thanks.

Ran the first track about 4 times and as I crossed the line for my first gold medal the game crashed my PC completely. Black screen no input to monitor. Had to do a hard reset.

Judging by the support forums it seems pretty common. I knew I shouldn't have broken my rule about buying things as soon as they come out. Very disappointing.

Going to leave it for a couple of weeks till they sort it out.

Jimmac, have you gone into Compatability under the Advanced graphics settings? Set V-sync through there, fixed my crashes.
  • Tiger_Walts 18 Sep 2011 12:11:53 16,625 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The only issue I have is that I'm on a 4:3 display and that makes all the menus stretched.

A few other things could do with some polish. Navigating the menus with the joypad could be a little better, it's not always clear what you currently have highlighted. Also, when returning to the track selection screen it's not very consistent with what is currently highlighted.

Track editor could do with a mode that, when you highlight the end of a track piece shows only and all the track pieces that attach to it. It would speed things up somewhat. (Maybe simple mode does that, I've not tried it).

When playing solo, it shouldn't count down from 3 every time you restart.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• urban 18 Sep 2011 12:38:05 11,067 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So people actually use a joypad? What ones? I find the arrow keys on a good cherry keyboard to be good enough?
  • BillMurray 18 Sep 2011 12:42:04 7,901 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just use a 360 pad. Bit more comfortable than a keyboard and easier to be a bit more consistant and flowing in corners.
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 18 Sep 2011 13:19:38 141 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    360 pad here too - I do have a slight problem with the stick being in a neutral position, but the car steering ever so slightly to the left from a standing start.

Fiddling with the settings has improved this a little.
  • ToonMonkey 18 Sep 2011 14:14:12 369 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I get the pad veering slightly in neutral too. What settings can allieviate this then?

Awesome game btw.
  • [maven] 18 Sep 2011 14:45:06 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I created a group for Eurogamer called:
    Eurogamer
    login: 8of10
    pass: jaffacakes
  • Deleted user 18 September 2011 14:47:20
    How many non-user made tracks has this got?
  • Res 18 Sep 2011 15:15:20 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ToonMonkey wrote:
    I get the pad veering slightly in neutral too. What settings can allieviate this then?

Awesome game btw.

If you access the control settings when driving you'll find the option to adjust the dead zone. For some reason that option appears to be omitted from the input settings on the main menu.

I had to set mine to 0.2 when using the official 360 controller.
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 18 Sep 2011 15:45:10 141 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    How many non-user made tracks has this got?

60-ish.

• RobTheBuilder 18 Sep 2011 15:50:17 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So is this as good as I keep hoping?
    I am trying to resist buying until I finish Deux Ex properly!
  • ToonMonkey 18 Sep 2011 16:58:31 369 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aha cheers Res. Sorted it thanks.
  • Kismet. 18 Sep 2011 17:02:42 1,241 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm loving it and as someone who prefers the individual play over the multiplayer I was happy to see there are plenty of tracks (65 in total, like for TMN), I think it will keep me busy for a while.

Still not sure about the five minutes cooldown to make an official time, but the fact that there's no need to spend planets to go official nor to download other people performances sort of make up for it. So far I haven't found it utterly frustrating, bar maybe for the A08 track, but considering that I've yet to reach the green medal time even in training for that one I guess it's more about the specific track than the new system. Maybe later on with longer and more difficult tracks it may become annoying.

Also, joined the Eurogamer group.

• Page

of 4 First / Last