Football Manager 2012

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous
  • Kosmoz 15 Aug 2011 13:03:36 7,509 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No surprise that this has been annouced.

Clicky.

I've just got back in to 11 myself, and as usual will be buying it again this year.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• AaronTurner 15 Aug 2011 13:06:48 7,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks like an even smaller update than last time :/
  • Kosmoz 15 Aug 2011 13:08:57 7,509 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The tone stuff sounds pretty good. As usual I assume they will announce more of the new features as time goes by.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• heavy_salad 15 Aug 2011 13:54:46 674 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Looks like an even smaller update than last time :/

There's only so many 'new' features they can really add now. I'd be happy if they worked on the stuff in there that needs it - the media side of the game can still be massively improved, training too, team-talks, etc.
  • Deleted user 15 August 2011 13:58:27
    I've only just bought 11 so I'll wait to see how much an improvement this is before I buy it.
  • AaronTurner 15 Aug 2011 13:59:01 7,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They could actually overhaul the match engine and the 3d implementation. It's really poor compared with what it should be.
  • Bmovie 15 Aug 2011 14:01:12 893 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I say to myself every year that I'll leave it until the 3rd patch is out in February. I never do this and I never will.
  • MysteryLamb 15 Aug 2011 14:03:21 525 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tweaks, and pretty small ones by the look of it.

This is either a huge disappointment or the PR guys are not doing a good job of explaining how this is better or even if there are still things to be announced. After the debacle of the FMLive train wreck I'd be guessing both.

FM is my fave series ever but I can't as yet see a reason for spending money on this iteration. Wait and see....
  • AaronTurner 15 Aug 2011 14:07:51 7,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    videos here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/271369-Football-Manager-2012-Announced!

Can't say I really see any difference in the match engine. Disappointing really.
  • LionheartDJH 15 Aug 2011 14:15:35 19,295 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As Kosmoz says they don't announce all the new features at once, they feed them in drips over the few months leading up to release. I buy it every year regardless, as I always get a hundred plus hours of great fun out of it. Also helps that it can be pre-ordered for between £18-£25, compared to console games which cost nearer £40.

I like the ability to add and remove nations at any point in the game, be good for someone like me whose computer is getting on a bit so could do with scaling back on leagues but still having the option to move country if it comes up. That tone thing sounds good too, been waiting for more depth to be added to team talks for years. Tutorial is also great for newbies, hopefully help some of the 'oh I used to play Champ Man ten years ago but this shit sounds way too complex why can't it be simple and fun anymore' crowd.

She dives for cheese pasties

• AaronTurner 15 Aug 2011 14:31:31 7,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sure but to be honest if you're going to announce a new game then announce some new features, there really doesn't seem to be anything of significance there.
  • AaronTurner 15 Aug 2011 14:32:06 7,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And anyway, there is already a tutorial in FM, it's probably been tweaked somewhat but it's still a feature.
  • vijay_UK 15 Aug 2011 15:03:36 1,670 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Football Manager could use a little dumbing down a bit, I know there are ways to automate things but FM is just too much clicking. Far too much shit involved just to play one match, let alone a whole season.

My suggestion is to bring back (somehow) the CM2 / CM97-98 interface, just a bit more updated with new features.
  • kalel 15 Aug 2011 15:14:36 83,875 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FM should really move to an annual payable DLC model really. Itís such a cheek charging full price for what it genuinely little more than last yearís version and a 10Mb patch.

Itís considerably worse than the likes of FIFA and PES.
  • Bmovie 15 Aug 2011 16:36:43 893 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    FM should really move to an annual payable DLC model really. Itís such a cheek charging full price for what it genuinely little more than last yearís version and a 10Mb patch.

Itís considerably worse than the likes of FIFA and PES.

Not really, considering it's always kicking around for about 18 quid at launch somewhere.
  • thefilthandthefury 15 Aug 2011 16:43:25 24,901 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Definitely getting this one as I haven't bought any FM for a few years. Really looking forward to it (especially as I can now put on more than a couple of leagues at once on my new machine).
  • El_MUERkO 15 Aug 2011 16:47:00 16,836 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wish they'd bolt Football Manager to FIFA so I can cancel all my appointments for the the rest of my life :/
  • LionheartDJH 15 Aug 2011 16:48:26 19,295 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Football Manager could use a little dumbing down a bit, I know there are ways to automate things but FM is just too much clicking. Far too much shit involved just to play one match, let alone a whole season.

My suggestion is to bring back (somehow) the CM2 / CM97-98 interface, just a bit more updated with new features.

I wouldn't agree with that, I mean real footie managers have a load of shit to do just to prepare for one game aswell, and I like that simulation aspect. However I can understand the complaint to an extent, maybe a more rough and ready streamlined mode should be introduced, whereby you can remove parts of the game you don't want to bother with (e.g. media interaction) so that it plays quicker and isn't as hard for newbies.

@kal, no actually, FM11 changed quite a bit in terms of interactions, transfers etc. from FM10 and like Bmovie says, you can usually nab it for £18 which is pretty good value. Yeah some years the changes are more major and you can notice more difference than ones which are more subtle upgrades, but the game is always evolving and having new features added. I for one have no issue with paying that kind of money for a title which provide me with hundreds of hours of entertainment.

• LionheartDJH 15 Aug 2011 16:51:50 19,295 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    I wish they'd bolt Football Manager to FIFA so I can cancel all my appointments for the the rest of my life :/

They did, it's called FIFA Manager, and it's a bit shit. I like the two experiences being seperate tbh (i.e. in-depth management simulation and just playing football), though agree that FIFA's MM could do with a bit more meat on its bones. Think FIFA12 has some improvements on that front, just hoping it doesn't turn out to be a buggy mess which goes unfixed like in FIFA10.

• kalel 15 Aug 2011 16:54:31 83,875 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Itís not about how many hours entertainment you get out of it. Itís about how much of an update it is since the last one.

I know how much they change and how much they cost. Iíve been buying FM/CM games since the first one. I still think the yearly updates are generally a piss-take as a full price game, even if that full price is about £20.
  • LionheartDJH 15 Aug 2011 16:58:51 19,295 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Okay, if you think that then just get a fan update with all the latest transfers for FM11 and don't buy the new one. Problem solved.

• kalel 15 Aug 2011 17:00:55 83,875 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, because my sense of justice is still offended by the gullible committed fans being ripped off.
  • LionheartDJH 15 Aug 2011 17:06:39 19,295 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm sure they can think for themselves and don't need you to feel sorry for them.

• kalel 15 Aug 2011 17:08:07 83,875 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apparently not.
  • LionheartDJH 15 Aug 2011 17:14:15 19,295 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good one, I just love being patronised because I want to buy a game. Look, if you don't think it's worth the money, then don't buy it, simple as. I'm certainly not going to be weeping into my keyboard because you decided to stick with FM11 rather than buying the new version, it's your choice and fair enough, I'm not going to tell anyone how to spend their money.

• kalel 15 Aug 2011 17:19:39 83,875 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Look, you A) started off being condescending by explaining to me how FM has changed in recent iterations assuming I didnít know and was just slagging off the price ill-informed. B) missed my reasonably obvious tongue-in-cheek joking in the last couple of posts. And C) pulled the old ďif you donít want it, donít buy itĒ line. So what, Iím not allowed a view on the value of something? Iím not entitled to think something is shit value? My only options are buy and be happy or donít and keep quiet?

Wind your neck in and stop being so defensive just because someone has said something slightly negative about a game you like. Itís not such a biggie.
  • Deleted user 15 August 2011 17:21:31
    NEW

GLUTCH 2012

NOW WITH ADDED SPOOF
  • Aretak 15 Aug 2011 17:23:31 10,329 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I certainly won't be buying it at launch this year. Last year's edition was a disgrace out of the box, with game-breaking issues that weren't addressed until the December patch. Considering how little the game has advanced over the past few years, to release it in that state was unforgivable.

It'd be nice if they'd do something about the puddle-shallow player and media interaction too. I'd genuinely rather not have it in the game at all than the current nonsense. The press conferences are just boring and pointless, whilst player interaction is a complete lottery.
  • LionheartDJH 15 Aug 2011 17:32:19 19,295 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A) Okay I admit that, it wasn't meant in that way, but I do apologise.
    B) It wasn't obvious to me but fair enough.
    C) No that's fine, as I said you can do what you want. I understand your position, but likewise my view is that it does represent decent value to me personally, obviously YMMV and all that. The DLC argument is a decent one in light of the fact that there's only so far they can take the game, but in fairness it is somewhat hamstrung by the type of game it is, with COD etc. they can change locations, weapons, time periods and all that, but with sports games that's not possible. This kind of complain is one generally levelled at sports games across the board, and yeah fair enough I can understand some people not thinking that the updates are worth the new price tag. But like I said for me it is, and I'm happy with that.

Well no of course it's not (I like PES and that gets all sorts of pelters year after year that don't really bother me), I don't think I've been that defensive, but whatever. For you, you don't think the update represents good value and a move to a cheaper DLC model would be better for fans, and that's fair enough, I understand that position and have taken it on board. I think in the future once they've reached a point where the game is pretty much perfected and there's little left to add that it could be a good move in terms of updating transfers, teams and leagues, but at the moment I'm happy with the yearly releases.

• Orange 15 Aug 2011 17:47:20 4,564 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The move anywhere feature is class - being able to change your selected leagues at any time. I love to globe trot around but it meant running a slow game in the past.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous