Rugby Challenge

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Ultrasoundwave 18 Jul 2011 11:10:11 3,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rugby awesomeness!

Did anyone here even know this was being made?????

I know there is a rugby game coming out for the world cup, but im pretty sure thats this one?

Its just fucking typical : you wait years for a rugby game and two show up at the same time. I hope to God that at least one of them is good!

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• LionheartDJH 18 Jul 2011 11:20:14 19,359 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AFAIK Rugby League Live came out on 360 last year.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Ultrasoundwave 18 Jul 2011 11:36:09 3,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah saw that, looked terrible though (and its Rugby League, which is for women).

The trailer for this looks amazing, really good animations and the gameplay looks accurate.

Cant wait for these games to come out.....

• andytheadequate 18 Jul 2011 11:36:57 8,081 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    AFAIK Rugby League Live came out on 360 last year.

Shame it wasn't all that good though, certainly not up to EA levels of polish.

On the plus side at least it was the better code of rugby!
  • FairgroundTown 18 Jul 2011 11:47:04 2,522 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    its Rugby League, which is for women
    Rugby: A game for hooligans player by gentlemen.
    Football: A game for gentlemen played by hooligans.
    Ruby League: A game for hooligans played by hooligans.
  • andytheadequate 18 Jul 2011 12:12:37 8,081 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FairgroundTown wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    its Rugby League, which is for women
    Rugby: A game for hooligans player by gentlemen.
    Football: A game for gentlemen played by hooligans.
    Ruby League: A game for hooligans played by hooligans.

"Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby Union is a complex game played by wankers."

Laurie Daley
  • FairgroundTown 18 Jul 2011 12:21:58 2,522 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :)
  • andytheadequate 18 Jul 2011 12:35:22 8,081 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RL and RU fanboys are worse than anything Sony/ MS/ Nintendo can muster!

Can't really tell how good the game will be from that trailer (very short clips), although there is some pretty awful tackling, so could be quite a realistic Union game! :D
  • pinebear 18 Jul 2011 13:07:39 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, it's being made by Sidhe, who did Shatter and Gripshift, so that bodes reasonably well.

They also did Madagascar Kartz, Blood Drive, and Rugby League 3 (Wii) :|

• andytheadequate 18 Jul 2011 13:14:29 8,081 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah, you're right. It's made by Sidhe. Rugby League 3 was pretty awful...
  • Ultrasoundwave 18 Jul 2011 13:28:27 3,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There are two things that give me hope : 1) its being made by an Australian publisher who, based on their history, have done nothing but rugby games (plus the aussies like their rugby!).
    2) Its being made by a kiwi developer, and if a NZ based dev cant make a good rugby game then no-one can!

It doesnt have to be a GOTY contender, i just hope its playable, fun and accurate to the game.

• ecureuil 18 Jul 2011 13:36:07 76,527 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's digging like a demented mole!
  • PatrickEwing 18 Jul 2011 13:45:16 2,127 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jonah Lomu returns!
    "They'll be celebrating into the wee small hours!"
  • andytheadequate 18 Jul 2011 14:28:54 8,081 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    There are two things that give me hope : 1) its being made by an Australian publisher who, based on their history, have done nothing but rugby games (plus the aussies like their rugby!).
    2) Its being made by a kiwi developer, and if a NZ based dev cant make a good rugby game then no-one can!

It doesnt have to be a GOTY contender, i just hope its playable, fun and accurate to the game.

The same developer/ publisher made Rugby League 3 on the Wii. I know it's not a Union game, but just have a look at the physics etc.

It can probably just about be classed as enjoyable, but only because there are no other options out there. Compared to Madden it is embarrassingly bad. To be honest, if I want to play a rugby game I just play Madden but only use the running backs!
  • Ultrasoundwave 20 Jul 2011 12:47:50 3,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Considering this is coming out soon, im quite disappointed there is nowhere to pre-order this yet. However, im putting my money on Shopto to make it available first.

In regards to the game, Id like to see some innovation in certain areas - button mashing on scrums for example is quite dated. The main reason a scrum seems to collapse is due to the inability to bind properly, hopefully this can be incorperated into the gameplay.

I'd also like to see passing and movement improved. The typical thing in rugby seems to be "press X to pass left, press B to pass right" and the game automatically picks someone to receive a ball.

I'd like to see something along the lines of using the triggers (or bumpers) to pass the ball left or right, with the length of the pass relying on how long you hold the trigger down for.

Its only 4 weeks till the Rugby World Cup game comes out, so hopefully this one wont be too far behind.

• andytheadequate 20 Jul 2011 12:50:19 8,081 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is made by the guys who did the RL games, and the control system in that wasn't great. It did have the passing on the triggers though, and could adjust the length of the pass, although it wasn't exactly fluid.

Just rented the 360 copy, will see if it's any better than the Wii one...

• Ultrasoundwave 20 Jul 2011 12:55:04 3,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I did consider getting it on the 360 out of pure desperation to play a rugby game, the poor reviews put me off though.

Im hoping that the increased popularity of Rugby, combined with this being a World Cup year, will hopefully provide us with a good game.

With this and the World Cup game, its improves the chances anyway......

• Arrit 20 Jul 2011 12:59:08 413 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave

You can pre-order from gameseek.

They're the UK retailer listed on the games forums. At the moment there's only a few places per area where you can get the game from. Hopefully It'll be listed on other sites soon.

Sidhe have stated that there isn't a release date yet so any that area listed anywhere are just guesses.
  • Ultrasoundwave 27 Jul 2011 12:32:28 3,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They've put up a gameplay trailer over on the official site - looks really good, nice polished gameplay with excellent animations.

Some of the camera angles look better than others, prefer the closer-up ones myself. Cant wait for this!

• Ultrasoundwave 6 Aug 2011 14:48:14 3,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Melbourne Rebels have given the game a go.

Would be interesting to hear their thoughts....?

• Ultrasoundwave 8 Aug 2011 14:52:17 3,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Seems im the only one looking forward to this, so ill update the thread as a gift from me, to me.

Two previews have gone up online : one at Gamesplanet , which is very in depth and also very positive.

The other has gone up at NZgamer , who are very impressed not only with the Rugby on offer, but all the other features the game has.

Despite Sidhe producing some questionable rugby games in the past, i cant help thinking they've nailed it with this one.

• Deckard1 8 Aug 2011 16:17:17 27,241 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is this the demo on Live at the minute? If so its fucking terrible. The opposition AI is completely retarded - you can just run straight through them.
  • Ultrasoundwave 8 Aug 2011 16:22:07 3,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No no, thats the World Cup demo, different game altogether!

Its basically a re-skinned version of Rugby 08, which is ridiculously lazy. Rugby Challenge is the way to go, just need a frickin' release date!!??

• TOOTR 8 Aug 2011 16:55:56 9,498 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Seems im the only one looking forward to this, so ill update the thread as a gift from me, to me.

lol - they're the best kind brother :D

I'm really looking forward to a good rugby game - so if it's any cop shout out and I'll be up for some games.

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Ultrasoundwave 8 Aug 2011 20:47:42 3,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got high hopes for this one matey, ill be pre-ordering it off Shopto as soon as they put it up. Will definately be online for a game or two!

• Kostabi 8 Aug 2011 21:15:20 4,878 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This has a franchise mode and the Aviva Premiership, which makes it an instant buy for me.

Probably the only way I'll see the mighty Bath win another trophy...
  • Ultrasoundwave 8 Aug 2011 21:33:12 3,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Its all about the rabodirect pro12 for me (which is the most ridiculous name for a league in the history of Rugby) and the Ospreys -, its disappointing that most of the national sides arent fully licensed, the game is fully customisable though so i'll be doing a "pro evo" on this!

• Kostabi 8 Aug 2011 21:41:48 4,878 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aye, the Magners League was a fine name for a rugby competition but Rabodirect Pro12 sounds like they make golf clubs or something.

I can see custom teams being widely traded to get the proper national teams into it. Especially if the official RWC game turns out to be the turkey everyone expects it to be.
  • elstoof 8 Aug 2011 21:45:56 6,635 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Think I read somewhere that the official WC game is missing the official squads for the tri nations teams anyway so it's not even got that going for it.
  • Fozzy010 10 Aug 2011 12:01:37 37 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    off screen video here

looks pretty good, plus apparently the slow mo for the kicks is apparently based on how good the quicker, so if you try to kick with a forward your probably not going to have enough time to place the kick.

Really looking forward to this although seems strange that there no official release date for this yet when it essentially needs to be out in 4 week to meet the world cup deadline they've set themselves
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous