Evil Dead 4 Page 6

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• bad09 12 Mar 2013 18:29:42 5,503 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh dear a sequel to Army Of Darkness. Surely he'd have to do a new story anyway as Evil Dead 4: Deadites Of The Future really would suck big time :)
  • evild_edd 12 Mar 2013 18:31:59 2,924 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love Army Of Darkness. I just don't get the hate; it's brilliantly bonkers. Mind you, I actually saw AoD before the other Evil Dead films, so wasn't burdened with expectation.

My favourite remains ED2. Just personal preference. I get that it's 'cool' to prefer the original, and that certain people refuse to accept that a sequel could ever be better than an original, but that doesn't alter the fact that ED2 outdoes the original in every way. It's also far more 're-watchable' than ED.

Having said that, all three are great in their individual ways. I love the fact I can watch them in isolation and still enjoy them as much; that's not the case for other series where I often feel compelled to watch all of them in a short timeframe.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• evild_edd 12 Mar 2013 18:36:01 2,924 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Oh dear a sequel to Army Of Darkness. Surely he'd have to do a new story anyway as Evil Dead 4: Deadites Of The Future really would suck big time :)
    Depends which ending he was going for.

He could do a post-apocalyptic ED4 if he went with the "slept too long" ending.

Alternatively, he could return to present day but in an urban setting if he went with the alternate 'shopping mall' ending.

They're both do-able, but I'd probably err towards the first. Can't see it happening mind you; Raimi's been promising to work on a script but things always get in the way.

Why look, it's a blog:

• Deleted user 12 March 2013 18:43:48
    Although there's more and more talk recently, probably fueled by the positivity surrounding the remake...

Also, I don't love the original because it's "cool" to do so. Merely because I prefer it.

All this talk is making me want to fish out my evil dead box set though.

I would still pay to see an army of darkness sequel despite everything mind you. I prefer the s mart ending.
  • bad09 12 Mar 2013 18:44:28 5,503 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @evild_edd

Well he'd probably go with the original ending to make it easier, mind you I need to re-view the alternate one such a long time ago now I forget. Wasn't it a weird musical number or something?
  • evild_edd 12 Mar 2013 19:14:49 2,924 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @bad09

Deadite, trampoline, S-Mart store, "hail to the king, baby"... I don't recall it being set to music, but it's been a while for me as well TBF!

@BillCityfingers

Nothing wrong with preferring the original, I just think a lot of people (particularly on the net) seem to adopt an automatic stance of love original and seek fault in sequels. Sure you've come across such types who seem intent on disliking films before they've even seen them. Hell, there was a lot of negativity about this remake, with many judging before they've even seen it, and even criticising the trailers.

Anyway, if you prefer ED then that's awesome. I just don't see why people think ED2 was 'worse' because it introduced humour. For me that was what distinguished ED2 from the countless gory horror films out there. And Bruce Campbell is a modern master of slapstick comedy.

Why look, it's a blog:

• evild_edd 12 Mar 2013 19:19:37 2,924 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    There were only ever two endings to AoD weren't there, the 'post apocalypse' one and the S Mart one?

I think I prefer the post apocalypse one.

As long as he doesn't make a prequel. I wouldn't be keen on a silly AoD type sequel though either. I think basically I want another more darker one like the first film but that's never going to happen is it.
    Isn't that what the remake's for...?

I think any AoD sequel would have to retain the comedy and keep Campbell at the helm. The problem with tackling a post apocalyptic setting would be the budget. You'd want to make use of the setting to differentiate it from the others, but whether you could do that on the cheap, I'm unconvinced. Though the fan base is loyal, it's hardly sizable enough to attract a 100m+ budget from one of the major studios.

Why look, it's a blog:

• quadfather 12 Mar 2013 19:20:30 10,543 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Having said that, all three are great in their individual ways.
    Conversation complete :-)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• bad09 12 Mar 2013 19:26:22 5,503 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @evild_edd

Yeah just watched it on YT, can't think why I thought there was music in there :)

Fucking terrible though...

Edited by bad09 at 19:26:40 12-03-2013
  • Dirtbox 12 Mar 2013 19:30:19 76,319 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ED2 is one of my all time favourite films. The direction, the humour, the creativity with the visual effects and the whole thing is in a small cabin in some woods. It's just a masterpiece of perfectly crafted fun.

ED1 and AoD don't hold a candle to it, but they're not a bad watch either. One had the darkness, the other had the slapstick and ED2 was bang in the middle.

Edited by Dirtbox at 19:31:05 12-03-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 12 March 2013 19:35:53
    ED2 was Raimi really coming into his own as a director. In many ways, ED1 was just a beta test of Within The Woods' alpha, a prototype version where he was basically winging it as he went and discovering what works and what doesn't.
  • gooner77 12 Mar 2013 19:56:58 652 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really want to see this but unfortunately none if my friends and family want to :(
  • bad09 12 Mar 2013 20:20:16 5,503 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:

Not really, I'd like to see Raimi once again put his stamp on a really good horror. Since ED 2 his output has been mostly 'comedy'/dark drama.
    I'd like that to, the man made one of the greatest horror movies ever then simply left the genre only coming back for horror/comedy.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2013 20:40:03
    @evild_edd Oh I totally agree with you man and for the record, I love Evil Dead 2. It's just the humour wasn't what I sought from it, that's all. Certainly not worse from a quality or directorial perspective, just not what I was looking for in terms of darkness, then again, I'm a bit of a morbid bastard! Let's face it, there was humour in the first one too, just more subtle. I don't go for slapstick comedy,never have but can totally appreciate why people love the second one as to be honest the first time I watched it when I was wee I'm pretty sure I preferred it. Over time though I found myself drifting towards the first one more and more and now resolutely consider it the best one of the trilogy for me.

Slapstick or not, Raimi's distinctive style makes all three head and shoulders above most films in their respective genres. What's exciting about this remake is that the energy of Evil Dead seems to have been retained. That total maniacal mayhem that, whatever anyone's opinions of the Raimi films, can't disagree that they are defined by.

I'm so mixed up over Army of Darkness I'll probably need to watch it again as I loved it the first time and hated it the latter times I watched it. S
  • Deleted user 12 March 2013 20:42:16
    @Goodfella That camera work is immense. Love it! Right. I'm digging these films out this weekend dammit.
  • Gambit1977 12 Mar 2013 22:12:10 9,541 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just listened to the OST. Suitably meaty, very nice.
  • evild_edd 13 Mar 2013 10:33:20 2,924 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice Youtube link Goodfella. That camerawork is masterful, and Raimi's greatest strength. Anyone know if the remake retains such ambitious camerawork? I've been steering clear of reviews for spoiler purposes (if it's even possible to spoiler a remake)...

Like others on this thread, I really need to see the originals again soon.

Why look, it's a blog:

• kalel 13 Mar 2013 10:45:54 83,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You only have to look at what happened with Spider-Man 3 to see that Raimi has some very strange ideas of what is funny and entertaining. He is obviously a massive talent in some respects, but he does get a bit carried away with things sometimes.
  • imamazed 13 Mar 2013 10:47:35 5,450 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ED - 8/10
    ED2 - 10/10
    AoD - 3/10
  • Deleted user 13 March 2013 11:05:25
    @Goodfella All I know for sure is that they mimic the free cam deadites roaming though woods type of effect (technical term :p)
  • Gambit1977 13 Mar 2013 11:23:14 9,541 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why all the Army of Darkness hate?
    "I've got plans for you, party girl!"
  • spindle9988 13 Mar 2013 11:38:43 3,366 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I relly liked army of darkness. Watched loads of times as a teenager. I agree it's not as good as the 1st but there are some great scenes in there. Pouring boiling hot water down his throat whilst sayong do you want some hot chocolate was genius
  • beastmaster 7 Apr 2013 19:48:45 10,172 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Number 1 in the States. Weekend BO of 26 Million

Good.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Scurrminator Moderator 7 Apr 2013 21:47:57 8,284 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stay for after the credits!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Page

of 8 First / Last