Dishonored Page 34

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• LionheartDJH 31 Dec 2012 15:29:54 19,295 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I also finished it earlier today. Totally loved it. Adored the story and setting and felt a connection to the Empress and Emily that I've not really felt for many game characters before; really motivated me to make things right in the world (and opt for low chaos as I hear high/very high chaos has negative effects on Emily).

Like you maven the different approaches reminded me of Deus Ex and I love that freedom combined with the mission areas that allow for exploration and side quests. Even going for low chaos the wealth of options was great, so definitely looking forward to another playthrough involving less pause/save/load and more killing so I can make wider use of Corvo's abilities.

Your point r.e. the ending I can understand, especially as in my case I only knocked Havelock unconscious so I could rescue Emily, so what happened afterward?

At any rate so many things I liked about it; story, setting, art style, different approaches, the chaos system, risk/reward exploration, range of abilities, simple upgrade system, the fact main targets are just human so no cliché boss battles where the politician suddenly turns into a superhuman swordfighter because that's just how games work, different options for eliminating targets, the general atmosphere (especially the Flooded District level; very foreboding), music and so on.

Putting all that together it probably is my GOTY; best till last eh! Looking forward to a second playthrough soon.

Edited by LionheartDJH at 15:34:05 31-12-2012

She dives for cheese pasties

• drhcnip 5 Jan 2013 20:48:20 2,269 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ok - looking for a new game to invest a few paypal pennies in

quite intrigued by thus but have a question

how forgiving is it for someone like me who is rather shite at stealth games?
  • LionheartDJH 5 Jan 2013 20:59:04 19,295 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pretty forgiving I'd say; you can save anywhere/anytime and I didn't have too much trouble with it on Hard so assume Easy is a breeze even if you're not too good at stealth games.

• monkehhh 5 Jan 2013 21:00:18 3,139 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    And you don't fail if you don't stealth, you just get to stab some people in the neck and run away.
  • pacrifice 5 Jan 2013 21:03:20 961 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    I also finished it earlier today. Totally loved it. Adored the story and setting and felt a connection to the Empress and Emily that I've not really felt for many game characters before; really motivated me to make things right in the world (and opt for low chaos as I hear high/very high chaos has negative effects on Emily).

Like you maven the different approaches reminded me of Deus Ex and I love that freedom combined with the mission areas that allow for exploration and side quests. Even going for low chaos the wealth of options was great, so definitely looking forward to another playthrough involving less pause/save/load and more killing so I can make wider use of Corvo's abilities.

Your point r.e. the ending I can understand, especially as in my case I only knocked Havelock unconscious so I could rescue Emily, so what happened afterward?

At any rate so many things I liked about it; story, setting, art style, different approaches, the chaos system, risk/reward exploration, range of abilities, simple upgrade system, the fact main targets are just human so no cliché boss battles where the politician suddenly turns into a superhuman swordfighter because that's just how games work, different options for eliminating targets, the general atmosphere (especially the Flooded District level; very foreboding), music and so on.

Putting all that together it probably is my GOTY; best till last eh! Looking forward to a second playthrough soon.
    It's a shame we can't +1 forum posts like the comments section for a news article as I'd have, and surely others would've +1'd you for this post.
  • LionheartDJH 5 Jan 2013 21:03:24 19,295 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    And you don't fail if you don't stealth, you just get to stab some people in the neck and run away.
    That too. Also you have magical powers and stuff which almost none of the adversaries do.

Edited by LionheartDJH at 21:03:59 05-01-2013

• drhcnip 5 Jan 2013 21:24:04 2,269 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ah, that thing about not failing if you don't stealth does it for me....

quite enjoyed sneakadoodling around in far cry 3 but hate instafail scenarios

cheers, folks - just got to find it for a decent price now...:)
  • hypoBla5t 5 Jan 2013 22:12:13 1,268 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cracked this open today and loving it. Sneaky blink neck stabs are always going to be a win.
  • LionheartDJH 5 Jan 2013 22:12:38 19,295 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @drhcnip

Currently £14.99 in the Steam sale if that's any use.

Edited by LionheartDJH at 22:13:01 05-01-2013

• drhcnip 5 Jan 2013 22:17:17 2,269 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    cheers, squire, but twill be ps3 for me

never get on the decent pc with wife & daughter gaming/forumming & the 360 is a media player in the bedroom atm....
  • monkehhh 5 Jan 2013 22:18:15 3,139 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Turn off the objective markers too :)
  • FWB 6 Jan 2013 16:55:59 42,000 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So probably asked, but why do my summaries say I killed hostiles when I have done no such thing? Might this be because some rats have eaten some unconcious bodies when I wasn't paying attention? Also, would killing a dog/ animal contribute to the death state?

Finally question, do unconcious bodies get up?

First impressions good. Not really my kind of setting, though it my grow on me. However, the open maps, numerous approaches, living world (books and notes) are all great. Remind me of Deus Ex.

Edited by FWB at 16:59:44 06-01-2013
  • JoeBlade 6 Jan 2013 17:26:20 2,413 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    So probably asked, but why do my summaries say I killed hostiles when I have done no such thing? Might this be because some rats have eaten some unconcious bodies when I wasn't paying attention? Also, would killing a dog/ animal contribute to the death state?
    Yes and yes to my knowledge. I got a few casualties on my account in my playthrough despite never ever harming any living thing.

FWB wrote:
    Finally question, do unconcious bodies get up?
    No.

FWB wrote:
    First impressions good. Not really my kind of setting, though it my grow on me. However, the open maps, numerous approaches, living world (books and notes) are all great. Remind me of Deus Ex.
    If you can get into the style and the story it's absolutely lovely :)
  • FWB 6 Jan 2013 17:30:23 42,000 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If the story and gameplay are any good, I am sure it will draw me into the style. I am reading everything I come across, which says a lot.

Might just kill whatever I feel like, given it is a mission to have zero deaths.
  • LionheartDJH 6 Jan 2013 18:03:16 19,295 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah Dunwall is very well realised and had me totally immersed. Hope it grows on you!

/realises me saying this may put you off

• Deleted user 7 January 2013 10:59:13
    So, on mission 5 and totally loving this game, as I thought I would but have one gripe so far, just wondered if it's happened to anyone else...

I'm playing on the 360 and so far on three separate occasions over 2 different missions I have found that some unconscious bodies have disappeared from where I have dumped them! Kind of bugging me just now. No way anyone or rats could have got to them as the places I have dumped them have been well secure away from anything, but when I go back with another poor unconscious sap I find one or two I have put there previously are gone!
  • MetalDog 7 Jan 2013 11:11:46 23,706 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's just the game not drawing shit it doesn't have to draw, BillCityfingers. It keeps the game running faster.

Almost finished my first runthrough of this finally - very nice spiritual relative to Thief, imo. Dunwall is excellent to rooftop boogie around in and I really like the character style - exaggeration features make even a faceblind fool like me able to tell people apart, which is nice. I was playing Uncharted 3 the other week and I couldn't tell Nathan and Talbot apart at all, save for the clothes, unless they were both faces on screen at the same time =/

Can't wait to find out how it all turns out - I've been a goody two shoes this playthrough. Next time will be murdertastic quite probably.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 7 January 2013 11:28:13
    MetalDog wrote:
    That's just the game not drawing shit it doesn't have to draw, BillCityfingers. It keeps the game running faster.

Almost finished my first runthrough of this finally - very nice spiritual relative to Thief, imo. Dunwall is excellent to rooftop boogie around in and I really like the character style - exaggeration features make even a faceblind fool like me able to tell people apart, which is nice. I was playing Uncharted 3 the other week and I couldn't tell Nathan and Talbot apart at all, save for the clothes, unless they were both faces on screen at the same time =/

Can't wait to find out how it all turns out - I've been a goody two shoes this playthrough. Next time will be murdertastic quite probably.
    Bit odd though. Kind of takes the edge off knowing they probably won't be discovered as they'll vanish after a while. Never did that in thief :-P
  • smoothpete 7 Jan 2013 11:28:43 31,019 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I said in a different thread, I would start off with good intentions (ie, stealthy and not killing dudes) but then inevitably I would fall off a pipe into a crowd, or open a door right in a guy's face, and hey presto it's murder time.
  • andytheadequate 7 Jan 2013 11:44:23 7,958 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I just seem to murder innocent people, generally by accident. The poor maid got it last time as she walked in on me stealing something...
  • Deleted user 7 January 2013 11:53:36
    Not killed anyone yet. Saving that for my next playthough, when I intend to leave no-one alive.
  • smoothpete 7 Jan 2013 12:03:11 31,019 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ethically speaking all these fuckers deserve a knife to the throat IMO.
  • ram 7 Jan 2013 13:05:06 3,466 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If I kill someone I dont intend to, I tend to reload as I want a reasonably stealthly clean first play through. Prob go full on heartless bastard 2nd time round.

Great game, great architecture and great mini stories to be found off the beaten track.
  • steadynedy 7 Jan 2013 15:47:56 112 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got this in the Steam sale and loved it, but bit confused about the achievements Clean Hands and Ghost.

All my mission stat screens are giving me ticks for no kills and no alerts but I didn't get the aforementioned achievements pop!

Wondering if i was doomed from the beginning as I replayed the first mission after accidentally killing two unconscious guards?
  • gamestatistics 7 Jan 2013 21:01:50 3 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hello,

I just want to confirm that the survey on Dishonored is now closed (invitation was posted in this thread a week ago).

Thanks to all the people who answered it, and for Eurogamer.

As a very quick feedback:
    - Many of the respondents pointed out a few grammar / spelling mistakes sentences, even if the overall meaning of questions was clear enough. “Are you… a men?” was of course the most inappropriate of these mistakes (this one should have been corrected before publishing the survey, at least)
    - Overall satisfaction of the survey was quite good (82% of respondents said the topic was interesting, 56% it was enjoyable, 77% that questions were clear and relevant) despite these English incorrect sentences.

I’ll come back in a few weeks (maybe end of next week) to make a summary of all these results.

As it was the first GameStatistics survey on English-speaking players, it should be more regarded as a first “experimentation” (selected sample is very different than the French ones, probably due to the different forums selection) and I will probably not release a full report as we used to make for previous surveys. However, be sure that I’ll come back with the main results.

Meanwhile, do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions / suggestion regarding this survey, or GameStatistics in general. Also, if there is any volunteer to help me correcting a possible further survey (if I am still welcomed here, of course !), do not hesitate to send me a private message.
  • FWB 8 Jan 2013 19:15:43 42,000 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This really is a bit good. So many options that I just keep stumbling upon them. Doesn't look as nice as many other games, especially Farcry which I recently completed, but oozes far more atmosphere. However, just did the party mission and saw no way to be non-lethal, so decided to knock her unconscious and throw her off a balcony to make it look like an accident. Couldn't go outside with the body so opted for the balcony overlooking the party. Thought it would be quite spectacular for this body to drop out of the sky onto guests. Did it but nobody gave a shit. In fact I got the "Didn't ruin the party" achievement.
  • LionheartDJH 8 Jan 2013 20:23:37 19,295 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There is a way. If you decide to replay it then explore the party a bit more, soak in the atmosphere. The answer may come to you...

• FWB 8 Jan 2013 20:26:29 42,000 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A way to make it look like an accident?
  • LionheartDJH 8 Jan 2013 20:27:07 19,295 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No, a way to eliminate the target non-lethally.

• FWB 8 Jan 2013 20:30:42 42,000 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ahh. I asked everyone, didn't find anything. Ohh well, next time.
  • Page

of 40 First / Last