Dishonored Page 12

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• agparrot 9 Oct 2012 15:09:40 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Dr.Haggard

Yeah, sorry, in my head my post clearly didn't make it sound like I thought the developers were saying it was played wrong, it is more the opinion of some commentators.

Reading what shamblemonkee said about the game being a toolkit of choices really sums up perfectly what the expo demo felt like, to me.

I guess if, as a player you want to skip all the incidental content, however rich, then that's fine, but I'm not sure if proscribing playing it 'properly' is a way to make people appreciate all the love that has clearly gone into the game.

It all sounds like a headache for game designers really.
  • Dr.Haggard 9 Oct 2012 15:12:59 4,087 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    i have not read the articles, are they saying "dont play it as a action game" ??
    Yes, basically.

Personally I always had it framed as a Looking Glass style game anyway, given its pedigree and its influences. I never had any intention of playing it like a shooter, but Arkane have made a point of saying that's a perfectly viable and designed-for approach, and now that's backfiring a bit.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 15:18:27
    I see. Well then it is the players fault. If they didn't look into the game they were buying. Most of the trailers highlight stealth and cunning not brute force.
  • Dr.Haggard 9 Oct 2012 15:28:55 4,087 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    I guess if, as a player you want to skip all the incidental content, however rich, then that's fine, but I'm not sure if proscribing playing it 'properly' is a way to make people appreciate all the love that has clearly gone into the game.

It all sounds like a headache for game designers really.
    It does, that's what I'm struggling with really. It's a nice idea but trying to make all these approaches viable without one or more of them offering a watered down experience must be a huge headache.

Is it actually obvious to the action-oriented player that they're skipping incidental content? I'm not sure it is in this case, which is where the problem arises surely.

They get given a sword/crossbow etc and a big yellow objective marker (which I assume is on by default) - they're almost being encouraged to ignore the possibilities and the sprawling levels. Plus the marketing told them it was ok just to go ahead and shoot stuff if they wanted to, then they find it's all over 4 hours later.

If I'd worked on this game I'd be mortified that people are playing it like that.

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 15:32:25 09-10-2012
  • thedaveeyres 9 Oct 2012 15:43:27 9,711 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Better people are playing it like that than not playing it at all. Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2 showed me how quickly gaming got dumbed down more than ever this gen. Who cares how other people want to play it anyway? Like Bioshock I'm sure you can play the way you want to.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• neems 9 Oct 2012 20:38:55 1,081 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm pretty sure you could play this as an action game and still get plenty out of it - the real problem comes from making a beeline straight for the objective and ignoring everything else.

I've spent way more than four hours in-game already, and I'm only on the first assassination level. There's a load of stuff to do here even before I get to the actual objective.

NINJA EDIT: in response to the previous page, which I have just read -

PC version plays fine with a 360 controller. I'm using it because I prefer the 'weight' of the movement and looking around, but obviously it's a damn sight harder to aim. To this end I have aim assist on, but it's not really an issue as I very rarely use the crossbow or pistol.

On very hard, with all the hud elements turned off except a dot sight, melee combat against more than one opponent is pretty hard. Two hits and you're dead, for the most part. Some enemies use other weapons as well. Obviously if you're using pistol / crossbow combat will be easier, and I suspect some of the higher tier skills will aid in that as well.

It looks like exploration is a major element of the game. There are side quests, and additional objectives, and stuff hidden away.

Blink is awesome. I was a bit dubious about it myself, but the way it opens up the world is just fantastic. Upgrade it early, and then upgrade your jump as well.

I would suggest trying a bit of everything, but make sure you explore to get the most out of the game world.

Edited by neems at 20:58:38 09-10-2012
  • Deleted user 9 October 2012 20:51:25
    @neems i hate you for playing this now! I need to stop reading reviewes on it, learning too much before playing it but I cant resist as need something to do till Friday night.
  • Vortex808 9 Oct 2012 21:20:15 6,566 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I want to play this now too! Bastards.

C'mon shopto!
  • Tuffty 9 Oct 2012 22:21:04 1,392 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Skyrim could be beaten in a couple of hours. Same with any RPG if you follow the main path. It's just one of those things. Never saw the appeal in rushing a game.

Edited by Tuffty at 22:23:57 09-10-2012
  • WoodenSpoon 9 Oct 2012 23:56:22 12,251 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How is the combat in this game? Do enemies soak up damage like in Skyrim?
  • xxblindmonkeyxx 9 Oct 2012 23:57:04 236 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    Not at all!
  • Murbal 10 Oct 2012 08:29:42 21,547 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Stealthy playthrough didn't start so well :-)

360 version is impressive. Reasonably slick, with simple textures but due to the nature of the art design (which I LOVE) it almost does look like an oil painting at times. Early days, but a strong Bioshock vibe from it.

I want to be stealthy, but I'm a little clumsy and when a handful of guards started on me, the few that I'd successfully sneaked past joined in.

Corvo is, however, a bit of a badass (even from the start) with the sword (and the pistol I found), so I stored them all away. As you can see.

(I think that's all fine but if anyone thinks any of that needs spoilering let me know!)

Edited by Murbal at 09:23:52 10-10-2012
  • neems 10 Oct 2012 09:02:27 1,081 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I must confess I failed and reloaded in the very first room multiple times, until I started to get the hang of sneaking around and choking people out.

Took me an eternity to clear the first section, but it was definitely worth it. I was slightly miffed though, when I finished the intro section (which is a fair old whack of game) I discovered that although I had got the 'ghost' achievement, I had apparently killed someone, not sure how. I'm wondering if you can kill somebody by dropping them too far?
  • shamblemonkee 10 Oct 2012 09:11:17 14,040 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rats?
  • neems 10 Oct 2012 09:14:53 1,081 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Goodfella

Ahhh I see, cheers. I'm not actually going for the overall achievement - maybe on a second run through - but it irked me slightly was all, given how awesome I had been for those first sections :-)

On a related note, I've seen quite a few criticisms about lack of options for non lethal takedowns - you can basically choke them out, or use a stun dart - but I think they've got it just about perfect. If you're going for the non-lethal approach, it's all about the set-up and positioning. If you want to kill kill kill, then you can afford to be creative.
  • Murbal 10 Oct 2012 09:28:28 21,547 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @Murbal

The interesting part (which I'm sure has been mentioned) is if you do play the game that way by gunning everyone down, intentional or otherwise, then the city becomes more run down and the rat population increases. :D
    I'm gutted it's started like that (in fact it's early enough in the game for me to consider restarting) but the intention will still be to stealth my way where I can. I'm almost certain that the 'kill no-one' achievements are out of my reach, but it's good to know that when I have to resort to combat it's not going to be a chore.
  • oldschoolsoviet 10 Oct 2012 11:24:46 5,415 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    xxblindmonkeyxx wrote:
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    Not at all!
    Oh lord......

/...like Skyrim
    /...like Skyrim
    /...like Skyrim

See ? SEE ?!
  • thedaveeyres 10 Oct 2012 14:03:17 9,711 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hate to be that guy, who degenerates the thread into SHIPPED!!1!1one!

...but has anyone's Shopto order shipped yet? The reason I ask is that I'm on the cusp of being issued a new bank card (in fact the new one arrived today), so I'm not sure if my order is stuck on Processing because my details have been muddled or whether I'm just getting twitchy.

*twitch*

D****** ******r

• Dr.Haggard 10 Oct 2012 14:12:23 4,087 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @thedaveeyres Yeah my PC copy shipped from Shopto this morning, I take it you haven't had the email receipt? I got the receipt yesterday, then the despatched email today.

Might've been an idea to pay for the preorder in advance. Wouldn't hurt to call them if you're worried.
  • NOSAVIOUR 10 Oct 2012 14:17:13 2,802 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @thedaveeyres Was wondering why I hadn't had a dispatch email or money taken from account one yet, but just signed in and its processing. Strange.
  • thedaveeyres 10 Oct 2012 14:23:06 9,711 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers, as long as someone else is stuck on processing, I'll wait and see I think.

D****** ******r

• Ultrasoundwave 10 Oct 2012 14:25:19 3,097 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yup, stuck on processing here too.

"Look at banner Michael!"

• Deleted user 10 October 2012 14:42:28
    Sounds like you all should have ordered from simply games. Some git i know got their copy today and someone on here got it yesterday.
    Mine has not dispatched either (sainsburys)

Edited by revan8 at 14:42:58 10-10-2012
  • Murbal 10 Oct 2012 14:43:04 21,547 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    someone on here got it yesterday.
    /waves

Edited by Murbal at 14:43:16 10-10-2012
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 14:44:34
    @Murbal

/stabbed murbal

Go on, bugger off and play it :p

Edited by revan8 at 14:45:16 10-10-2012
  • Murbal 10 Oct 2012 14:46:37 21,547 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    Go on, bugger off and play it :p
    Got to wait for the kids to go to bed and my wife to catch up on a bit of TV first /o\
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 14:49:16
    You need an extra tv!

I've already laid down the ground rules for this weekend.

The priorities are in this order ...children...dishonored....food and drink.....husband.
  • Page

of 40 First / Last