Dishonored Page 9

  • Page

    of 40 First / Last

  • SFD 8 Oct 2012 12:40:08 489 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Looking good. Day one.
  • 1Dgaf 8 Oct 2012 12:42:52 3,791 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    None of these powers could make a substantial difference to gameplay - say between finishing a level or having to restart. Nope.

    VOID CHANNEL: Powers duration and damage bonus {exclusive}.
    WHITE RAT FRIEND: White rats will not be hostile {exclusive}.
    GUTTER FEAST: White rat consumption for mana {exclusive}.
    500 BONUS COINS. [buying in-game gear]
    DELICATE TOUCH: Breaking Glass noise reduction {exclusive}.
    VOYEUR: Key-hole peeping magnification {exclusive}.
    DEEP BREATHER: Underwater breathing capacity bonus {exclusive}.
    GOLDEN RAT STATUE: Unlocks one additional slot for bone charm bonuses {start with an extra slot earlier on}.
    FENCER: sword vs. sword advantage bonus {exclusive}.
    FIRE WATER: increased whiskey bottle explosions {exclusive}.
    BLAST RESISTANT: reduced explosion damage taken {exclusive}.
    WOLFHOUND IN-GAME STATUE: unlocks one additional slot for bone charm bonuses {start with an extra slot earlier on}.
    RAVEN: Health bonus for drop-down assassination {exclusive}.
    QUICK DODGE: Bolt / arrow dodging bonus {exclusive}.
    RIVER AFFINITY: Increased swimming speed {exclusive}.
    HAGFISH IN-GAME STATUE: Unlocks one additional slot for bone charm bonuses {start with an extra slot earlier on}.




    Edited by 1Dgaf at 12:48:39 08-10-2012

    Edited by 1Dgaf at 12:48:53 08-10-2012

    www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

  • agparrot 8 Oct 2012 12:49:56 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    ...to add to Agparrot's point, if all you care about is playing - that is getting your hands on the game - then perhaps you don't care about gameplay.
    In this case, it is the gameplay that makes playing the game so enjoyable. It really does seem to have been crafted to allow you to approach the same problem in many different ways, and the reason that lovers of playing games should buy dishonored is because of the enjoyment to be gleaned from the gameplay mechanics, not just an idea of possessing and playing the game because it is new and shiny.

    I can't disagree with you about the shop-specific stuff - especially where the exclusivity of some of the buffs just means you are excluded from them by your choice of retailer.
  • NotSoSlim 8 Oct 2012 12:53:35 3,119 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Mine has been dispatched according to an email I've just received \o/
    From who?
  • Murbal 8 Oct 2012 12:54:32 22,037 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    Murbal wrote:
    Mine has been dispatched according to an email I've just received \o/
    From who?
    Simply Games
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 12:55:03
    @1Dgaf like I said, bonuses. Buff to an ability. You have all the abilities. The rat one is different but that is it.
  • 1Dgaf 8 Oct 2012 12:56:49 3,791 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes, and we talked about this the other day.

    But which is the ... the ideal version of the game? The one that the devs envisioned?

    That's what I want to play. The club sandwich, the all-toppings pizza, the full English.

    And I don't know what version that is. That's why I won't buy it yet.

    I'll admit that I'm playing devil's advocate to some degree since I'm going to rent it.

    EDIT:

    Revan8

    But in a complex simulation, small differences may have large outcomes. Just like Goldblum says.

    Edited by 1Dgaf at 12:58:56 08-10-2012

    Edited by 1Dgaf at 12:59:21 08-10-2012

    www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

  • shamblemonkee 8 Oct 2012 12:59:02 14,293 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    surely the one they intended you to play is the one you get without applying any of the codes?

    that's how i'll be playing.
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 13:00:32
    @1Dgaf oh my you being a drama queen. :)

    So u might have to wait 2 more seconds till the guard is further away till you break the glass just because u didn't buy in Tesco. Oh no. :p
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 13:13:13
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    surely the one they intended you to play is the one you get without applying any of the codes?

    that's how i'll be playing.
    Exactly this, they just buffed some stats in a couple of areas per version.
  • 1Dgaf 8 Oct 2012 13:18:23 3,791 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe Shamble, maybe.

    Revan

    Yes, I'm total drama queen. Why, I'm sipping a cocktail with an umbrella in it and getting a massage from a Thai houseboy.

    www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

  • Zizoo 8 Oct 2012 13:21:44 8,232 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jelly
  • psychokitten Moderator 8 Oct 2012 13:22:31 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're complaining about some effectively trivial shit, about a game you don't intend to buy anyway. They're tiny buffs, not full blown power removed from the game, or maps/missions. It seems like there could be better things to do with your time.

    This has bumped up on my list now, very tempted to get it when it comes out, a Thiefy-Bioshocky mashup game sounds right up my street right now. XCOM will have to wait, especially since I know I'll be pants at it.
  • Murbal 8 Oct 2012 13:35:04 22,037 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    psychokitten wrote:
    XCOM will have to wait, especially since I know I'll be pants at it.
    :D

    I have the same faith in myself!
  • 1Dgaf 8 Oct 2012 13:38:26 3,791 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    psychokitten wrote:
    You're complaining about some effectively trivial shit, about a game you don't intend to buy anyway. They're tiny buffs, not full blown power removed from the game, or maps/missions. It seems like there could be better things to do with your time.
    I've always said I'll buy the game when there's an all-in-one edition. I'll buy when I think it's a fair deal. Renting and buying aren't mutually exclusive.

    And tiny buffs are important in games. Look at how RPGs offer items or buffs that increase stats by small amounts.

    It's like how in Borderlands 2 I've got a small bonus to crit damage with my assassin character. But that bonus could allow me to survive an attack, which in turn gives a few more seconds for my shield to recharge. When my shield is fully recharged I get bonus damage to my next shot. That shot depletes the shield of an enemy, allowing me to kill it with a transfusion grenade and get my health back.

    Tiny buffs.

    www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

  • Tubes 8 Oct 2012 13:41:47 47 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    xxblindmonkeyxx wrote:
    If anyone has preordered on GMG have you received your pre load code as of yet?
    nooooope

    Not until release day according to them
    Weird, I have just bought it from GMG and got a key to activate in Steam straight away.
  • Tryhard 8 Oct 2012 13:46:05 3,830 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It is one of those games that I will enjoy watching someone else play than play it myself.I think it was because of the punishment I received looking through keyholes when I was a kid.:lol:
  • Vortex808 8 Oct 2012 14:11:51 7,037 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really can't wait to give this a go.

    It might even stop me playing Borderlands 2 for a short while over the weekend. :)
  • Derblington 8 Oct 2012 15:09:07 21,468 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    psychokitten wrote:
    You're complaining about some effectively trivial shit...
    This! But I know you're "passionate" about it (the inverted commas are because I genuinely think you're a bit crazy for caring so much about retailer exclusives).

    They are a marketing ploy that are supported by development teams, in this case someone said "what can we give retailers?" and a designer replied "we could just buff each power as it's cost effective and doesn't break the game/add anything substantial that'll piss people off".

    And then you found out...
  • psychokitten Moderator 8 Oct 2012 15:33:18 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Exactly how I pictured it. They could have put in a mission or entire area, or exclusive powers, but they opted for this. Clearly the team didn't want to do that, but had to add something, so they opted for something no one particularly cares about. No one, else, anyway.
  • thedaveeyres 8 Oct 2012 15:36:09 10,806 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't even know there were exclusive giveaways for this... I wonder what Shopto's is? (Not arsed if it's nothing to be honest).

    D****** ******r

    XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

  • Murbal 8 Oct 2012 15:40:57 22,037 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    I didn't even know there were exclusive giveaways for this... I wonder what Shopto's is? (Not arsed if it's nothing to be honest).
    BACKSTREET BUTCHER

    edit: that's about 5 or 6 things from the above list.

    Edited by Murbal at 15:42:39 08-10-2012
  • thedaveeyres 8 Oct 2012 15:43:25 10,806 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah fair enough, cheers. I'm sure it's vaguely useful. :)

    D****** ******r

    XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

  • 1Dgaf 8 Oct 2012 15:48:49 3,791 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sure, I probably am a bit nutty when it comes to this subject. BUt I'm also accurate.

    And I don't care about all retailer exclusives. I only care about certain types of them. Pretty much anything cosmetic and I say have free reign. Costumes, different-looking enemies, gun skins, different coloured explosions or spell effects. Have at it.

    Part of the reason I'm buying Xcom is because I get some cool armour. Great! I order early, I get cool stuff and it doesn't have any effect on gameplay.

    But these retailer-driven gameplay changes aren't good for gamers. It makes deciding where to buy more difficult, it asks people to make a decision based on a game they haven't played (which benefit is better? Who the fuck knows, I haven't played it) and it means that they've altered the experience and we don't know how it plays out.

    And, Derbs, come on man - you're selling unlocks in Battlefield negating any gameplay reason for XP unlocks to begin with. It's all part of the same thing, guy.

    EDIT:

    And Psycho, I'm not the only person that cares about it. Not by a long shot. People are buying the game inspite of them, not because of htem. Look at the comments section when the bonuses were announced.

    Edited by 1Dgaf at 15:50:29 08-10-2012

    www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

  • Derblington 8 Oct 2012 15:54:24 21,468 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And I'm totally fine with selling unlocks too, because it doesn't mean anything to me. I wouldn't buy them, I'd level and get them. People who don't have the time but do have the money... go for it, throw that change around!

    Similar with these, personally, I wouldn't use any of them because they're fairly insignificant little additions and I'm more interested in playing the core of the game, not farting about over where it's coming from.

    edit: if it was MP maps or a dungeon or something significant to my gameplay time I might take notice, but I ignore 99% of retailer exclusives because I just don't care enough. I understand that it's marketing and nothing more, and it adds nothing worthwhile to the title. You seem to think that the developers actually cut up a title and farm the goods around which simply isn't true.

    Edited by Derblington at 15:59:15 08-10-2012
  • 1Dgaf 8 Oct 2012 16:09:10 3,791 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why not just have a toggle where people can unlock everything in one go, for free?

    Because you're not doing it for gamers or because it's good for gameplay. Your PR tries to spin it like that, but it's nonsense. And devs that sell unlocks have a financial incentive to make levelling more difficult, so that people will pay for said unlocks.

    That, in turn, really makes the matches and wins/losses questionable. That's why I stopped playing. It's a full-price free-to-play game.

    I'm not anti-capitalist. I'm not against people making money. I'm not against DLC and extra content. But I think it needs to be appropriate and done for the gamer, for the good of the gameplay.

    That's my view of games and business. Design what's best for the customer. Make the experience great have that as your USP.

    As I said, I will buy the game when it comes in a GOTY. And I'll know that the experience is a 'whole' one. Arkane get my money, I get access to everything.

    EDIT:

    And I'd actually prefer a F2P model that sold maps, not weapons. Because that way the competition is fair. And I think missing out on an experience is a better carrot than the stick of losing to a paid gun.

    Here's an interview with David Sirlin on game design and balance.

    http://traffic.libsyn.com/hatchetjob/HatchetJob074.mp3

    Here's our discussion on co-op games and paid unlocks

    http://traffic.libsyn.com/hatchetjob/HatchetJob096.mp3

    Edited by 1Dgaf at 16:13:25 08-10-2012

    www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

  • MatMan562 8 Oct 2012 16:12:20 2,365 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm buying this from Game because I have store credit there not because of whatever "bonus" I get for pre-ordering. The only way i'd vaguely care is if it were a multiplayer game that was giving an unfair advantage to people who bought from a specific retailer. As this is a single-player only experience I could not care less about what I, or anybody else, get. I'm buying the game not a code for a little bit of dlc.

    Anyway, this is looking very promising! I might even be able to afford XCOM as well, wouold be a great weekend if I can!

    XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

  • 1Dgaf 8 Oct 2012 16:14:28 3,791 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But anyway, I think I've taken up enough posts. Thanks for bearing with me.

    www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

  • Derblington 8 Oct 2012 16:19:55 21,468 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    And devs that sell unlocks have a financial incentive to make levelling more difficult, so that people will pay for said unlocks.

    That, in turn, really makes the matches and wins/losses questionable. That's why I stopped playing. It's a full-price free-to-play game.
    That first sentence is absolute nonsense. I don't know of any designer that sits down and makes the game harder or alters the design in order to push the upsale of unlocks.

    And the second one is ridiculous because it's not the unlocks that determine the outcome. Player skill still wins.

    The game is simply not built for any single weapon to be better than the rest, and from the moment of sale the competition ranks at different speeds. I do understand the concern at the base of your argument but your perception of the reality of the business is nothing better than conspiracy theories.
  • thedaveeyres 8 Oct 2012 16:24:18 10,806 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Holding off buying a game for a price drop I can see, but for the sake of a few tiny bits of fluff? Madness.

    D****** ******r

    XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

  • Page

    of 40 First / Last

Log in or register to reply