Dishonored Page 8

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• Deleted user 8 October 2012 08:20:50
    Pc gamer 92
    t’s a big, shiny example of so much we keep asking for in games, but rarely get. Luckily, the best way to vindicate it is to buy and then play an amazing game.

Pc gamer also mentioned that it is has optimization for pc and not just a port .

Joystiq. 4.5/5

Ign 92. Incredible etc

Gametrailers. 87
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 08:22:48
    @Ultrasoundwave I've read five reviews now and all of them except EG said they wanted to go straight back and play a different way.
  • mikeck 8 Oct 2012 08:29:17 1,936 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Feels a shame that there is no New Game +, but it's far from a big deal, just would have been a nice sweetener :)
  • Murbs 8 Oct 2012 08:29:37 22,527 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As there's no NG+ you're effectively starting from scratch each time. That's possibly where EG would see the replay value whereas the others recognise the value in a fresh start. IMHO etc etc.
  • Ziz0u 8 Oct 2012 08:29:54 8,604 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fellas, will this run on my PC?

Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz

5 GB DDR3 1066MHz

Radeon HD 6650M 2GB

Edited by ZizouFC at 08:36:15 08-10-2012
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 08:33:46
    Post deleted
  • Ziz0u 8 Oct 2012 08:36:02 8,604 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fix
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Oct 2012 08:46:12 26,374 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Fellas, will this run on my PC?

Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz

5 GB DDR3 1066MHz

Radeon HD 6650M 2GB
    I've looked into my crystal ball and it says "I haven't played this either, so judge for yourself like everyone else."
  • Ziz0u 8 Oct 2012 08:48:07 8,604 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    :(
  • Murbs 8 Oct 2012 08:49:26 22,527 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know nothing about PC gaming but can confirm it will run ok on your machine. I anticipate you'll get about 42 fps.
  • xxblindmonkeyxx 8 Oct 2012 08:53:06 258 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If anyone has preordered on GMG have you received your pre load code as of yet?
  • the_dudefather 8 Oct 2012 09:14:03 9,400 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    xxblindmonkeyxx wrote:
    If anyone has preordered on GMG have you received your pre load code as of yet?
    nooooope

Not until release day according to them

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• xxblindmonkeyxx 8 Oct 2012 10:03:34 258 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ah man! the last few times i have had the codes well early - what a shame! good to get it preloaded!
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 10:08:28
    "Corvo is one of videogaming’s more capable aggressors, not least because his skills are deliciously fun to use, and the smoothness of the controls comes together with his weapons and magic to thrilling effect. It becomes second nature to Blink behind a guard and execute him in one sweep of your sword. As two others gradually realise you’re there, why not slow time, run at them and clamp a Spring Razor onto one? Blink away and it will explode in a cloud of wires that will slice them into bloody chunks. When normal time returns, every local enemy will be aware of you, but it’s no problem – simply possess the nearest and walk away. You could also have found a vantage point and soundlessly assassinated everyone, or rewired local enforcement technology to fry the guards."

:) compares the freedom with the original Deus Ex (my fav game ever) :)
  • the_dudefather 8 Oct 2012 10:08:33 9,400 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I got my XCOM code already, even though it's out the same day

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• Deleted user 8 October 2012 10:12:05
    strange how reviewers can have almost opposite opinions on elements like AI

"The key is a robust and logical AI system that’s ripe for exploitation, giving you not only a sense of power but also the chance for multiple ‘what if’ replays.!
  • 1Dgaf 8 Oct 2012 10:43:31 3,939 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WHen I first heard about the game, I was looking forward to playing NG+ and choosing from all the skills I'd earned. So it was a big surprise to read that's not possible.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• Derblington 8 Oct 2012 10:50:20 22,129 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @revan8

The problem is the ai seems to flipflop between doing what you expect in certain situations and otherwise being stupid. It'll depend on how you approach the object to the result you have, though even the GT review highlights the problem you can face (standing a foot in front of a soldier and him completely ignoring you). If you experience that a lot you will come out with a more sedate review of the feature.
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 10:53:44
    True, I assume it is a rare occurrence though as a lot of reviews complement the ai which suggests they never encountered such issues.
  • RedSparrows 8 Oct 2012 10:56:08 23,926 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I'll have this as a nice cheapy cheap bargain post-Christmas.
  • Murbs 8 Oct 2012 11:08:13 22,527 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mine has been dispatched according to an email I've just received \o/
  • oldschoolsoviet 8 Oct 2012 11:57:14 5,532 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Bethesdalol" - because they're the devslol

"can't afford it/get it cheap later" - because it's Bethesdalol

"No NG+ ? Wut ?" - because all the games it's been compared with/influenced by have NG+lol

Same comments here, as on the front page, as everywhere else. Seems everybody is determined to shout this down, even though the masses don't seem to have a clue.

Here's hoping it'll be a sleeper, word-of-mouth job ala Dragon's Dogma, as I'd like to see Arkane succeed, despite the Brink/Rage/Skyrim backlash against their publisher.

Just don't even mention "Whut ? No MP ?!"
  • Murbs 8 Oct 2012 12:01:23 22,527 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet I loved Rage, and didn't realise there was a Skyrim backlash. What's not to love about that game?
  • RedSparrows 8 Oct 2012 12:06:58 23,926 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    "Bethesdalol" - because they're the devslol

"can't afford it/get it cheap later" - because it's Bethesdalol

"No NG+ ? Wut ?" - because all the games it's been compared with/influenced by have NG+lol

Same comments here, as on the front page, as everywhere else. Seems everybody is determined to shout this down, even though the masses don't seem to have a clue.

Here's hoping it'll be a sleeper, word-of-mouth job ala Dragon's Dogma, as I'd like to see Arkane succeed, despite the Brink/Rage/Skyrim backlash against their publisher.

Just don't even mention "Whut ? No MP ?!"
    I like the look of the game just there's others out soon that I want more. What's the problem?
  • agparrot 8 Oct 2012 12:23:19 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm in complete agreement with OSS here - all the herpaderp comments that don't relate to the game are just a bit baffling.

The game (in the demo) itself looks brilliant - it conjured thoughts of Thief and Deus Ex and the blossoming corridors of Crysis, and it had a wonderfully deep-looking mix of abilities and powers - reminiscent of Bioshock 2's approach of Active (plasmid) powers and passive (Tonics).

Watching the developer use the wonderful freeze time power, just after an enemy had fired his pistol, so that the bullet was still in flight, then move the enemy round in front of the bullet, before unfreezing time so that the man shot himself was brilliant, especially given that the same time-stopping power had already been used for more mundane things like carefully aiming and firing three crossbow bolts at the heads of separate enemies or dashing back towards a pursuing foe, freezing time and laying razor wire in the street and turning to flee once more as the fellow was chopped to bits.

The mechanics of that one power were all perhaps used in the same way systemically, but each incident was differently mischievous and bloodthirsty and in that way that gratuitous games sometimes are, funny. The power wheel must contain 15 or 18 powers, and some of those clearly also have scope to be used and abused in multiple ways, so I can't see how anyone who likes playing games, and has a bit of imagination about them, can't get more than one playthrough out of Dishonored, although I accept that there is likely no reason to play through again if your expectation is that the core story would have to be different to bring you back.

If I wasn't a massive XCom whore who had just splurged a load of money going to the Expo, I'd be all over this game like a plague of bloodhungry rats. Even though it has annoyed me a little bit by having unique in-game pre-order bonuses for different retailers... things that could theoretically change the gameplay to some extent which you are excluded from by your choice of outlet.

tl;dr If you aren't poverty stricken like me, and you like games and PLAYING games, you should probably buy Dishonored.

Edited by agparrot at 12:24:14 08-10-2012

Edited by agparrot at 12:25:10 08-10-2012
  • MadCaddy13 8 Oct 2012 12:28:11 2,039 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I may buy this on release to support games with no MP and just to help prove you can make games and sell them without MP
  • 1Dgaf 8 Oct 2012 12:31:08 3,939 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    I'll get it when it's cheap because I don't like what they've done with the shop-specific bonuses. If it hadn't been because of those, I'd have bought it for launch.

NG+ is about experimenting with builds. I would like to replay the level with whatever powers I feel like. If I can't, that isn't as interesting to me.

I don't see how trying to save money, or valid criticism, is trying to shout a game down. And your saying 'Oh, only stupid people say this stuff' is as bad as, if not worse, than the bloody criticisms.

EDIT:

And to add to Agparrot's point, if all you care about is playing - that is getting your hands on the game - then perhaps you don't care about gameplay.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 12:39:14 08-10-2012

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• Deleted user 8 October 2012 12:31:57
    @agparrot agreed, there has been so many completely random negative comments. the 4 hour completion time for one. There are nine missions outside the semi open world, each level can take hours if you play in depth and not blast through everything.

Also agree it is very annoying about this and x com at same time. For me its time, i cant give both my time :( If only one or the other was released a month ago, both would have seen better numbers.

You can guarantee that a great amount of gamers wont buy either due to its close proximity to halo 4, assassins creed 3, black ops 2. So sad as games like Dishonoured and X com need to sell for the market to stay interesting and not just a tide of mass made games just to sell the most and not provide innovation.
  • MetalDog 8 Oct 2012 12:33:39 23,881 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's definitely on my pre-order list. I don't know too much about it - just enough to guess that I'll have a good time.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 8 October 2012 12:34:18
    @1Dgaf none of the bonuses give you anything new, they are all SMALL buffs to a certain skill.

So maybe you can hit with a sword slightly harder or maybe you can hold your breath slightly longer. None of them stop you getting anything.

I only hate it when shop exclusives have missions that you miss out on.

Where ever you buy the game it is the same.
  • Page

of 40 First / Last