Kickstarter Projects Page 8

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• mal 12 Dec 2012 19:41:24 22,710 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A cool gravity powered LED light has turned up on Indiegogo and has already acheived basic funding. It's mainly designed for the third world where it will hopefully replace dirty kerosene lamps which attract mosquitoes and cost money to run. The intial trial is already paid for, if I'm reading it right, but you can sponsor further R&D into improving the lamp (and get a free lamp and other bits while you're at it to stick in your shed/wherever) for $50 (plus postage if outside the UK/US).

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Fake_Blood 12 Dec 2012 20:21:03 4,294 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Unless they've invented a magical titanium gearbox, that thing is going to fail in africa.
    Notice how gently they let go of the sandbag?
  • ResidentKnievel 12 Dec 2012 20:25:29 6,238 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Funded Kickstarter project Code Hero ditched by creator after running out of money.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• King_Edward 12 Dec 2012 21:15:05 11,454 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    [link url=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/primerist/code-hero-a-game-that-teaches-you-to-make-games-he/comments]Funded Kickstarter project Code Hero ditched by creator after running out of money
    Dustin Deckard 4 days ago
    Unrelated: it sucks seeing lots of other game projects fail on Kickstarter and knowing that this one raised $170k, most of it being in the last 48 hours. It's all very suspicious. I am incredibly curious who the two $10k backers were - I imagine either friends of Alex, or even dummy accounts of his own. Perhaps he procured some other financing or small business loan and dumped the money into KS to raise hype?
    Final note: a few weeks/months ago I would have felt bad for expressing these opinions so publicly. It just doesn't seem appropriate. Maybe Primer/Alex actually have some happy, satisfied backers out there. But I haven't found any! If anyone has a recommendation on where to place further thoughts/criticisms, please let me know. Otherwise I feel obligated to continue documenting the lack of communication from Primer in this space.[/link]
    Very dodgy.
  • mal 12 Dec 2012 21:22:12 22,710 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Unless they've invented a magical titanium gearbox, that thing is going to fail in africa.
    Notice how gently they let go of the sandbag?
    Given the years of industry experience the guys behind this light have, I'd hope that's something they've thought of, or at least will find out shortly during the trial they're doing, but still, hmm.

• agparrot 30 Jan 2013 11:58:24 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not really my thing to hawk around the work of other people, and I'm not sure I'm really a fan of kickstarter at all with all the proper developers using it as a way of raising investment capital and yadda yadda.

So I was quite pleased to see Psysoft, a guy whose rambling development blog I've been following just out of curiosity, put his 5000 kickstarter up for his seemingly R-Type-alike game "Power Up" for XBLA-or-is-it-XBLIG game that he is making, both as a way of teaching himself about making games and as a project because he yearns for a traditional shooter. He started out making a very basic looking shootery-thing, but being a hobbyist and gamer, he's gone a bit mental and made it all in lusho graphics with proper music, maybe even .wav files, or something.

...Other Shoot-Em-Up classics that crept into my psyche at an early age also no doubt influenced Power Up in wonderful and subliminal ways. These include the likes of R-Type, Battle Squadron, Chronos, Apidya, St Dragon, 1943, Xennon 2: Megablast, Armalyte, Silk Worm, SWIV, Agony, Blood Money, Dragon Breed, Dragon Spirit, Defender, Forgotten Worlds, Truxton and many, many more.

It's a 1-and-up pledge thingy, seemingly to pay for the licences for his development software, which reading between the lines he had access to recently until he lost his game artist-type job. Stretch goals include getting it beyond his XNA development and into windows, and possibly beyond that using his gaming industry contacts to get someone to help him port it to iOS or Android or what have you.

It's just one guy in Stoke-On-Trent working on this neat looking shooter - there are bundles of links in the kickstarter page where he gives insight into his dev process. I've only really posted this because his blog makes me laugh, as he stumbles heroically through the precess of making his first game.

Edited by agparrot at 11:59:27 30-01-2013
  • pauleyc 19 Feb 2013 11:22:23 4,483 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This looks interesting: a Small Form Factor (SFF) "PC enthusiast" case, an attempt to create a case with a very accessible layout, several cooling options yet large enough to accommodate full-size video cards.

This is just the first part of the campaign, to fund the prototyping. A separate, limited production run will follow later.

Here's the original HardOCP thread.
  • Gland 19 Feb 2013 15:11:50 78,478 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    3D pen

Holy fucking shit is that awesome.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• LeoliansBro 19 Feb 2013 15:17:01 44,512 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For the money that's really cool. Dodgy or not, Kickstarter does come up with some great stuff.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 28 Feb 2013 11:09:44 10,861 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How this hasn't already been funded I don't know but, if anyone here loved Dungeon Keeper, Theme Park or Pikmin, pledge your hard-earned money on what is sure to be another "British" classic.

Death, Inc. - From Ambient Studios

Talented doesn't even begin to describe this studio. There is even a demo available so try it, pledge and glow in the warm happiness of supporting the UK games industry.
  • Mr-Brett 2 Mar 2013 14:37:05 12,828 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This one is interesting but it's hard not to be a bit skeptical, it's a game that uses a headset which allows you to control the game with your brain. Throw Trucks With Your Mind

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• mal 4 Mar 2013 02:44:33 22,710 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes...and standard FPS controls. It's a one-axis EEG, so pretty primitive tech. The only reason we don't all have one in our houses is that no one's found a practical use for one yet.

The Zeo sleep headset is a very similar idea at a very similar price, though with a more practical, if niche, application.

• spamdangled 6 Mar 2013 13:09:28 27,413 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The crowdfunding campaign for the Planescape: Torment spiritual sequel commences in just under an hour:

https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/

Edited by darkmorgado at 13:18:58 06-03-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• mal 6 Mar 2013 13:21:34 22,710 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    How this hasn't already been funded I don't know but, if anyone here loved Dungeon Keeper, Theme Park or Pikmin, pledge your hard-earned money on what is sure to be another "British" classic.

Death, Inc. - From Ambient Studios

Talented doesn't even begin to describe this studio. There is even a demo available so try it, pledge and glow in the warm happiness of supporting the UK games industry.
    Quick everyone, pledge! There's only 8 hours to go, and only 60% of their 300k target to make!

• Doomspoon 6 Mar 2013 14:20:54 2,490 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I backed Death Inc and am sad to see it's not even made the half way mark. I like the idea of what they were doing and the demo played well for what it was.
  • Dr.Haggard 6 Mar 2013 20:02:28 4,226 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    The crowdfunding campaign for the Planescape: Torment spiritual sequel commences in just under an hour:

https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/
    Aaand it's funded. $900,000 in 6 hours.
  • jellyhead 6 Mar 2013 20:55:40 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm tempted to go for one of the $100 pledges for the InXile game. I loved Torment and there's a solid team behind it.

Wow, They've a million now and the long wait to release begins.
    There again it's been a long old wait to get here so a little longer won't matter.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• mal 9 Mar 2013 01:33:00 22,710 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The 'From Bedrooms to Billions' documentary project hit its target after 7 days, but it still looks worth getting on board to me. All about the early days of the British computer games industry, when British games were often identifiably British, they've already got interviews with all kinds of famous names (if that's the word), and are looking to use any extra money to license material from the BBC and others. This could be something really special, if you were there at the time.

• jellyhead 9 Mar 2013 02:04:06 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hadn't heard of it, i'll have a look. I've a couple of documentaries from the late 80s/early 90s covering Ocean and the decline of Imagine so this could be kickstarter #2.

edit: Yeah, i'll sort that out tomorrow. Looks like a large chunk of names from my 48k childhood are there.

Edited by jellyhead at 02:09:07 09-03-2013

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Vinicity 14 Mar 2013 12:33:00 209 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A Veronica Mars movie!

2.5 million pledged with a 2 million goal (and 29 days to go)...

Edited by Vinicity at 12:33:22 14-03-2013
  • localnotail 17 Mar 2013 19:32:22 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Hit Squad - a full length 8 bit comedy movie

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• mal 23 Mar 2013 12:46:32 22,710 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The people behind the 'From Bedrooms to Billions' documentary have started leaking interview footage from the upcoming film, if anyone's interested. So far there's Peter Molyneux and Mel Croucher. The project's already funded, if you are thinking of investing, and they're still looking for more money to be able to produce a 2-disc edition.

• IJ 23 Mar 2013 13:02:55 841 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    60 hours to go before Homeworld touch is over, 94% funded.

I know there is a bit of negativity around the team behind it, and to be fair it wouldnt be my choice of developer for Homeworld 3, but all I want is the Homeworld touch edition for iPad. Surely the possibility of Homeworld on your iPad is worth $10?
  • trav 23 Mar 2013 13:16:42 945 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @IJ Seems like a neat idea and would like Homeworldon my iPad, but they don't have the license if you look at the Money-Back Guarantee.

That is too much of a risk for my liking.
  • DaM 23 Mar 2013 13:30:55 13,338 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got my first purchase this morning, Kade, a control board/PC connector thing for MAME cabinets. Now I'll have to start building the bloody thing....
  • IJ 24 Mar 2013 09:35:26 841 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @trav THey have promised a refund if they don't get the license though.
  • trav 26 Mar 2013 10:38:50 945 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As a shameless plug, the Kickstarter I have been working on has launched this morning. It is eJay Pure, a music creation app using the technology of the eJay games, but for iOS and Android.

Please check it out and send on to any music people who may find it interesting.

eJay Pure Kickstarter
  • Oh-Bollox 3 Apr 2013 21:56:08 5,327 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The lady behind indie horror game Homesick is a bit...sick.

If you want something for your money, sales of Richard & Alice, Project Zomboid, and Thomas Was Alone are currently dedicated to her cause.
  • pauleyc 4 Apr 2013 15:27:14 4,483 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Digital Eel are pitching the third installment of their space exploration series - Infinite Space 3 on Kickstarter.

Strange Adventures in Infinite Space and Weird Worlds are computer equivalents of board games/roguelikes with a playing time of ca. 30 minutes max. Think FTL but without the micromanagement and arcade-like combat (and no time pressure IIRC).

Edited by pauleyc at 15:27:28 04-04-2013
  • YenRug 4 Apr 2013 15:55:50 2,319 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Judging by the lack of comments on the story on the main page, I suspect a lot of you have missed this one:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ghost-of-a-tale

(Yeah, I know it's Indiegogo rather than KS, but they're pretty much the same thing.)

• Page

of 13 First / Last