Battlefield 3 - Gaming/online chats times (pew pew) Page 500

• Page

of 514 First / Last

• neilqpr 5 Dec 2012 11:39:59 2,827 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Had a few goes last night but I think I might wait a couple of weeks before I dip in again. I'm an average player and premium exclusive content brings out all the level 100 players. I think I'm really burnt out on BF3 as well, maybe it'll be more fun with EG folk.
  • agparrot 5 Dec 2012 12:27:47 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    Had a few goes last night but I think I might wait a couple of weeks before I dip in again. I'm an average player and premium exclusive content brings out all the level 100 players. I think I'm really burnt out on BF3 as well, maybe it'll be more fun with EG folk.
    Sorry I didn't stick around for a few more of those earlier ones - was busy with other stuff too.

There certainly were a lot of shit-bucket players last night, but for the most part I just enjoyed tramping around the new maps - my early impressions about them not having enough vertical stuff going on were quickly squashed once I started actually exploring them, and bouncing around between Rush, Conquest and Scavenger meant I got to see them all in a slightly different light.

I do wonder what the reception of the Aftermath pack is like for PC players - Armoured Kill felt very empty on the console, but again this pack seems to work really well with 24 players. The maps are quite big, but the fact that they aren't all huge empty spaces does mean that there's probably room for even more players in the various flashpoints.

I was being repeatedly killed by some douche who kept parachuting onto the rooftops on, erm, the map with the slanting collapsing tower blocks. My most satisfying kills last night came from firing a T90 shell at a Soflam on the roof, and killing the same douche with the splash damage, and then taking to the Little Bird to mop up other cowardly rooftop-dwellers. Actually the rooftops aren't too bad here, because there's so much cover that generally you aren't exposed to much fire from them, and the more enemies that are up there, the fewer that are directly defending flags and MComs.
  • DugBriderider 5 Dec 2012 12:36:10 527 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fired up Aftermath on PC last night, was very impressed.

Scavenger was a chaotic start but great for low levels like me; but at lvl22 I'm still limited in pistol choice will need to do some co-op to the the 93R.

In Conq I love what in-game is called the Van but I think its the RHINO where 1 person can drive and shoot from the same position, its like a mini tank or given the elevated view a Mech, and you need a Mech to get round the streets on Epicenter several times I parked vertically in a crack.

Last games were on Markaz which is a great vehicle map (no jets yay)
  • psychokitten Moderator 5 Dec 2012 12:43:04 7,794 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I forgot all about the shit-bucket expression yesterday, thank you for reviving it!

Really enjoyed the new maps yesterday, but I'm sure it helped I was doing reasonably well on them. I'd probably have been frustrated by the roof-campers otherwise.

The maps are really nice, frantic and close in a lot of places, but not quite Close Quartersy. Really pretty and detailed compared to the others though! Was very impressed as well.
  • Tryhard 5 Dec 2012 12:49:38 3,659 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DugBriderider wrote:

Last games were on Markaz which is a great vehicle map (no jets yay)
    Though you are talking about pc,I think this is even more important for console.What a difference to have those two extra guys on the ground.
    Also love that they decided to use the scout heli's and not the attack heli's on the vehicle map.I think they should do the same for Sharqi CQA and take the attack choppers out.We don't get to see the scout heli's enough on console.

The ice cream vans are a death trap.One tank shell or RPG through a window and you are dead.And there are not even any 99's to lick up afterwards.
  • DugBriderider 5 Dec 2012 13:02:25 527 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Any chance an Admin can change the thread name again to welcome PC back (PC BF3 thread seems dead).

@Tryhard agreed they are death traps I don't think there immune to small arms fire either, but like the xbow I'll take fun over practical any day, but can't because I'm always on the losing side of Scavanger, sob.

As for size on PC, Scavenger seemed a bit crowded, conquest was fine, I've yet to try Rush but like a lot of people say, this fits the cross platform aim a lot better than the last two dlc's.
  • andytheadequate 5 Dec 2012 13:33:19 8,075 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DugBriderider - I know what the problem was, my wireless isn't good enough. From Tgursday I'll be able yo join you for a proper game if you fancy it? Anyone else have the pc version?
  • DugBriderider 5 Dec 2012 14:02:38 527 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yea sure see you on Tgursday, it will be interesting to have someone lower rank than me on, it almost always eagles these days.
  • andytheadequate 5 Dec 2012 14:14:09 8,075 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Indeed, I was impressed with myself when I finished top of my team by over 1000 points when I was a lowly level 1. Medic whoring on 64 player infantry maps is great.

Obviously I've already played it 100+ hours on the 360 as well but no need to mention that...
  • Doomspoon 5 Dec 2012 14:28:35 2,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not sure if this has been answered here previously, anyone know whereabouts the EU 360 servers are located? Country/city whichever.
  • psychokitten Moderator 5 Dec 2012 14:36:23 7,794 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When I rented the Eurogamer BF3 360 server and did some checking, it was in the Netherlands, traced back to i3d hosting
  • Doomspoon 5 Dec 2012 14:37:14 2,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks Kat.
  • Tryhard 5 Dec 2012 15:17:38 3,659 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The UK servers were based at Heathrow.You can bet there are no UK ones now.
  • ecureuil 5 Dec 2012 15:57:46 76,482 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    You don't have to be the best FPS player in the world to compete. Learn the maps and play smart, that's what I do. I can't compete with the kids when it comes to reflexes anymore, but I can outsmart them.
  • Doomspoon 5 Dec 2012 16:29:34 2,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tryhard wrote:
    The UK servers were based at Heathrow.You can bet there are no UK ones now.
    I was curious as generally the games aren't laggy but if there's one particularly unkillable/magic shoots-around-corners-man/grenade proof/claymore proof player I check the friends > recent players it's guaranteed to be a French/Dutch/Spanish/Portuguese/American/Mexican player. Or a team full of them, I wasn't sure how bad things are at their end? I feel like lag compensation conspires against me but presumably it's the same for everyone present as excluding the Americans playing on EU servers I'd thought the servers would be centrally located. For some reason I'd got it into my head they were based in France.
  • psychokitten Moderator 5 Dec 2012 16:45:50 7,794 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Client side hit detection says hello. It's why Americans etc always do better on European servers than they otherwise should.

Edited by psychokitten at 16:46:03 05-12-2012
  • Tryhard 5 Dec 2012 23:09:56 3,659 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yep like kitten says Client side hit detection rewards poor, higher ping.

Imagine that the person with higher ping sees your future,while you with lower ping see his past.That is why their bullets follow you round corners.Or they shoot you before you come around a corner,or in the process of jumping over a wall.Or in the worse cases not even facing you.
  • Doomspoon 6 Dec 2012 01:54:31 2,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I get what you're saying regarding the nature of client hit detection. What I was trying to work out is whether this is a purely one sided thing as far as "we" the UK & Eire players are concerned?

When I play on the PC, taken from a one page sample about 6 weeks ago, I can clearly see the pings on UK servers ranging from 17 at best and 21 at worst, US 104-165, France 21-42 and Spain 40-133 which is quite horrendous really. I realise that the UK PC servers are physically located in the UK, French in France etc (for the most part at least with the possible exception). I also realise that PC server pings don't relate directly to XBL/PSN pings.

So when a 360 server is half full of Portuguese, server description claiming it's a UK server but possibly based in Holland, the Portuguese are possibly getting a better ping than they would on a sever based in the UK. Accepting the fact that half of Europe use wet toilet paper for internet connections over copper wire or fibre optic cables these buggers surely must be experiencing shit games at their ends? I mean their online entertainment can't exist purely on the sole premise that their online connections are shit and they're going to fuck it up for as many people with a good/normal connection as possible can it? Is everyone else bouncing around all over the shop/standing still for ages or do games look normal for them?

Further still am I imagining it when I "feel" someone has a shit ping? I'm not seeing a lot of visible lag, I'm used to a "good" game (on console at least) being one where all being well and good, I have the drop on someone and I aim, double tap and move onto the next target. Occasionally I encounter someone that just will not take their hits and upon checking player cards it's more often than not Johnny Foreigner, this has lead to jibes from my friends about being a racist but it's guaranteed no matter how much I shoot them when they're firing at me the hits won't register. BF 3 and previous Halo games have been bastards for simultaneous deaths, as per lag compensation, often comedic with what seems like a second of hang time before I keel over. I've always felt really hard done by with this, like the being shot from behind deep cover but generally assumed the guys doing it are having no problems at all. Maybe things are just as bad for them?

If the servers are based in the Netherlands I also question why? I have a few Dutch friends since the Xbox Live beta/test drive days and on CoD games with UK & NL parties there's always disconnects, NAT problems, party members unable to hear each other despite everyone being on each others' friendslist.

edit: Also, I notice that regarding the 4 bars for ping on PC servers that 50 ping is 4 bars, somewhere after 133 but before 150 is 3 bars and 150+ is 2 bars. I'd assumed that once things get to 50 it's less than desirable. I saw a hell of a lot of 3 bars in previous CoD games, they have to be using a different standard right?

Edited by Doomspoon at 02:10:44 06-12-2012
  • Dirtbox 6 Dec 2012 02:48:48 77,454 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago

Edited by Dirtbox at 02:48:57 06-12-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Doomspoon 6 Dec 2012 02:59:35 2,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah ok, I'm pissed but I admit, I even bored myself.
  • Tryhard 6 Dec 2012 11:43:25 3,659 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You just have to accept some players turn your bullets into rubber.It has happened so many times to me I don't even bat an eye now.

It did not help that at release quick match would put the world into euro servers.Hopefully they finally got that sorted out.
  • agparrot 6 Dec 2012 12:21:39 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am really enjoying the new maps - the more I play on them, the more I like them. I even spent about four minutes on a very high rooftop on, er, the map with the Bank in it, flicking my M16A3 to single-fire and shooting people on the low bank roof from way up high in the sky. All those times I've sworn at the douchebags up on the roof, not even helping with the objectives or anything, and there I found myself, picking off defenders and offering an almost impossible to hit distraction while my squid homies armed the MCom charges.

I'm not sure I've really got a handle on the XBOW yet - can't decide if I'm overcompensating for bolt droop, or just a really shit shot. The fact that it would mean replacing my beloved smoke, rockets, C4 or T-UGS is also a bitter pill to swallow, as those are all things that offer much more useful tactical advantages. I'm not sure why it couldn't have been a secondary weapon - a powerful, single-shot weapon certainly, but one with a prohibitive reload speed.

Did you know that you can blow up the blue double-doors with grenades or other explosives on most of the maps to forge alternative routes through them? It's pretty cool.
  • psychokitten Moderator 6 Dec 2012 12:45:33 7,794 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great times with great people on the new (great?) maps yesterday

"YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT!"
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 12:54:27
    Hmm to buy or not to buy? I would 100% get aftermath if 800, think 1200 is a rip off for a map pack.

First bf3 map pack I have been tempted by.
  • DugBriderider 6 Dec 2012 12:55:06 527 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can live with losing the Tugs/Mav/Soflam for something that makes my recon more aggressive and handy against vehicles. I have terrible luck with C4 too so Support would welcome it.

Very unlikely to use it on Assault or Engineer though. With the bolt switching now there no excuse not to have 50mm grenade switching now.
  • stephenb 6 Dec 2012 13:38:49 2,728 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    agparrot wrote:

Did you know that you can blow up the blue double-doors with grenades or other explosives on most of the maps to forge alternative routes through them? It's pretty cool.
    This was my first introduction to aftermath. Was playing Epicenter on conquest and spawned at the construction site. Team mate blows the doors with c4 and we both run down four flights of stairs in near darkness save for a flickering bar light.
    I was hooked right then.

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• Scurrminator 6 Dec 2012 13:41:00 8,377 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The new maps are great. Spent most of yesterday on them and unlocked all the xbow parts.
    You do have to compensate for the standard blot, it's a close range ammo type and usually a one hit kills it seems. There's a 'sharpshooter' bolt that has no drop that you can use for sniping.
    I wish they'd set the explosive damage against vehicles higher for the explosive rounds though.
    Anyone else find the dinosaur statue? ;-P

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Tryhard 6 Dec 2012 13:58:04 3,659 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well the xbow got me banned from two servers when I took it on to Grand Bazaar,and I only killed one player each time with it.I only use it as a fun troll weapon really.

Screw that idea of making the explosive bolt higher explosive vs tanks,we have enough to contend with already.Keep it focused on infantry thank you.
  • Scurrminator 6 Dec 2012 14:08:22 8,377 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I meant jeeps. And it's an anti vehicle weapon (there's even an achievement for it)

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• agparrot 6 Dec 2012 14:45:29 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Anyone else find the dinosaur statue? ;-P
    I have the achievement for it, but I have no idea when it popped up on my screen, and I have no recollection of seeing any statue.
  • Page

of 514 First / Last