Search for the UK's best burrito Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • THFourteen 8 Nov 2012 10:20:30 32,872 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There is a place called Tortilla in leadenhall market, they do really good (big) burritos. I recommend the chicken. And the extra spicy green salsa.

just not before the gym.
  • Deleted user 8 November 2012 10:31:31
    Illegal Jacks - Lothian Road, Edinburgh

Obviously.
  • the_dudefather 8 Nov 2012 10:41:10 9,202 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Man, might get a burrito tonight...

YOU WIN AGAIN ILLEGAL JACKS

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• S.J.Rogers 8 Nov 2012 10:41:26 3,557 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any good Burrito take away place in Dorset..?

I live in Poole and have been known to go to the Mission in Reading for my Burito fix and it a Loooooong slog..!

Any ideas. (I know i could make one myself, its just never the same and all the bits you need cost a LOT..!)

Edit + Spulling

Edited by S.J.Rogers at 10:42:07 08-11-2012
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Nov 2012 11:13:12 10,289 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Illegal Jacks - Lothian Road, Edinburgh

Obviously.
    Do the flying bottles add to the experience? :-)

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• f00b_inc 8 Nov 2012 11:49:59 689 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    There is a place called Tortilla in leadenhall market, they do really good (big) burritos. I recommend the chicken. And the extra spicy green salsa.

just not before the gym.

I've been a big fan of stopping here for my massive burrito fix since I started working in the area about a year and a half ago. I'm feeling the quality is starting to slide though? I've had a couple of chicken ones recently that have included bits of burned chicken!

I will be checking out the Poncho no 8 recommendation to see how that measures up - thanks for that!
  • elstoof 8 Nov 2012 12:15:04 6,630 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tortilla are decent, there's one here in Angel too. I prefer Chilango further along Upper Street though.
  • riz23 8 Nov 2012 13:24:02 1,157 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chipotle was on page one, rather cruelly described as 'faux-mexican'. I'd say it was more 'American foodie fast-food'. Quality ingredients and one of the better burritos in London. My favourite is the 'Barbacoa' with brown rice, pinto beans and salsa verde. You could always try and make your own.

There is a Mi Casa Burritos at London Victoria. I don't rate it. 3/5 stars
  • ElNino9 8 Nov 2012 13:29:26 13,290 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    motti82 wrote:
    Pancho's Burritos are the best Manchester have to offer. Based in the food market in the Arndale. Kicks Taco Bell all over the shop.
    Wasn't impressed last time I went. Wasn't bad, but I prefer Barburritos.

It also take fucking ages to get served.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• fergal_oc 8 Nov 2012 15:12:21 2,763 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I quite like the one in Reading near the river opposite the Oracle but my fave is a market stall in Soho called Freebird. Just YUM!

Corner of Brewer St.
  • HappySpaceInvader 28 Jul 2013 14:55:39 2 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Blakester Stumbled across this thread while looking up Guacamelee!

Going to be contentious (and perhaps pretentious) here, but the "burrito" is probably the least Mexican of Mexican dishes.

Getting food that can be wrapped up and eaten "on the go" is not very Mexican really. Even the street stalls often have an area where you can sit at a table to eat what you've bought. And what you get is a tortilla about 7" in diameter, served open... and you pinch two edges together to pick it up and eat it.

My wife (who grew up in Mexico) has frequently explained to me that the burrito most English people expect is only ever a "norteņa / Tex Mex thing", which you would find only in the towns/cities along the US border... places she advises against going anywhere near with a white face.

That said, one of the best places for a takeaway burrito in the UK right now is "El Burrito" in Charlotte Place, London. Owned and run by Mexicans, you're at least getting authentic Mexican ingredients, even if the presentation is more American. Get there early during the day, as there's often a queue stretching along the street at lunchtimes.

Edited by HappySpaceInvader at 14:56:40 28-07-2013
  • wobbly_Bob 30 Jul 2013 10:08:55 1,627 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @HappySpaceInvader - can I ask you a favour? Bit off topic, but could you find out what an authentic huevos rancheos would be? There are so many conflicting versions of supposedly authentic. I suspect as with a lot of these things there is no real one version and depends where you grew up/how our mother made it.
  • craigy Staff 30 Jul 2013 10:18:47 7,538 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lots of Mexican places are popping up at the moment, especially in Brighton. Had a good steak burrito from the Wahaka van outside the Southbank Centre on Sunday.
  • BurnoutJunkie 30 Jul 2013 10:32:53 681 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    If you are in London Benitos Hat seems to be pretty popular as well. The thing with these guys is its more fast food and they do a lot more take away rather then a sit down meal which is what Wahaca tends to be.

http://www.benitos-hat.com/

I have actually yet to try them though despite there being one opposite my office. It is always full though. so thats probably a good sign.
    Benito's hat is top notch! I work in central and have been there many a time. Only been to Wahaca once, was good, but didn't have a burrito.
  • twelveways 30 Jul 2013 10:37:05 3,854 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tex Mex food is fucking awesome, I had a Texan roommate for around 6 months and I gained about 3 stone in that time because of all the delicious food. Whisky is the secret ingredient.
  • kinky_mong 30 Jul 2013 11:13:06 9,970 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Best burrito I've ever had was the Pulled Pork Bad Boy Burrito at The Breakfast Club by Hoxton Square. Absolute heaven and this thread has given me a real craving to get one again!

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• ProfessorLesser 30 Jul 2013 11:45:41 19,352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    tincanrocket wrote:
    As nick mentions, the Mission in Oxford does a decent burrito, but the best I have had was in Cambridge about a month ago - next to one of the Pieces and down the road from Zizzi's there is a great Mexican cafe place, but I don't know the name of it and am not based in Cambridge normally.
    That would be Mama Mexico. I miss it, never took full advantage :(
  • ProfessorLesser 30 Jul 2013 11:49:15 19,352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    S.J.Rogers wrote:
    Any good Burrito take away place in Dorset..?
    Really need the answer to this as well! I've just moved down here and I'm starting to despair that there is NOTHING HERE.
  • wobbly_Bob 30 Jul 2013 13:08:30 1,627 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BurnoutJunkie wrote:
    glaeken wrote:
    If you are in London Benitos Hat seems to be pretty popular as well. The thing with these guys is its more fast food and they do a lot more take away rather then a sit down meal which is what Wahaca tends to be.

http://www.benitos-hat.com/

I have actually yet to try them though despite there being one opposite my office. It is always full though. so thats probably a good sign.
    Benito's hat is top notch! I work in central and have been there many a time. Only been to Wahaca once, was good, but didn't have a burrito.
    Benitos hat is very good. I do like burritos/texmex but it's not or something get when I'm out.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 17:09:54 30-07-2013
  • LeoliansBro 30 Jul 2013 13:09:55 43,233 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whitecross market near Barbican does an excellent pulled pork burrito on weekdays, and there's a pop up in front of the Gherkin has a spicy sauce that'll ruin your arsehole.

If that's your sort of thing.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• mcmonkeyplc 30 Jul 2013 13:19:59 39,387 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We have a Chipotle on Baker street. It's ok. Nothing to write home about.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next