Wii U Page 320

  • Page

    of 1358 First / Last

  • Sid-Nice 27 Nov 2012 21:45:01 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Wii U US launch has been an absolute farce; GameStop still have thousands of pre-orders they are unable to fulfil and in some areas of North America you can just walk into a store and pick 1 up. Some stores were selling the Xbox 360 as low as $149.99 on Black Friday; another 750K of screaming kids on Xbox Live is great news.

    NNID Sid-Nice

  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 21:47:52
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Could this be easy to pick up in store on Friday? I sure hope not for my wallet's sake.
    Man. I was hoping you and beatmaster would be my buddy in arms trying to hold out on launch week! So frucking tempted!
  • beastmaster 27 Nov 2012 21:52:52 11,338 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ha! Ha!

    Well, I think I'm going to HAVE to hold off. I'm getting a new car so it's either a Wii U or use the money on electronic climate control :-)

    The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

  • Moot_Point 27 Nov 2012 21:58:57 3,988 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Of course it's the highest week, but even so 750k is a lot for such an old machine.
    Which still out-performs the WiiU.
    Let's not go there!
    While Wii U is disappointingly powered, it's clearly more powerful than 360/ps3.
    Well as you rightly point out, the 360 is an "old machine". I am sure MS will be the first to bring out a rival console that will trounce the WiiU, because unlike Sony, they are not really on a ten year plan (the only reason people think they are is because Sony is their main rival). Now the WiiU is here Microsoft's tactics will change, because like you said the WiiU rivals the main HD consoles in terms of power. Nintendo will always be one generation behind in terms of power, regardless of what they try.

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

  • PhoenixFlames 27 Nov 2012 22:01:26 8,946 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Could this be easy to pick up in store on Friday? I sure hope not for my wallet's sake.
    Man. I was hoping you and beatmaster would be my buddy in arms trying to hold out on launch week! So frucking tempted!
    :-D

    I'm only about 25% tempted. More chance that I won't crack.

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 22:06:09
    Shopto have said they'll be shipping tomorrow via twitter.

    Are W101 and pikmin still slated for the window?
  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 22:10:01
    Who likes rumours? The mill seems to be pointing towards a new Yoshi game for the Wii U, listings for the game have appeared on Future Shop and Best Buy.

    A reveal at the Video Game Awards is also being rumoured, with Good Feel being the likely developer.

    *Dreams of spiritual successor to Yoshi's Island*
  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 22:17:52
    Yeah, that was on the test page along with Resident Evils and Metal Gear Solid.

    NO FUCKING FZERO THOUGH!
  • NotSoSlim 27 Nov 2012 22:21:14 3,122 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Of course it's the highest week, but even so 750k is a lot for such an old machine.
    Which still out-performs the WiiU.
    Let's not go there!
    While Wii U is disappointingly powered, it's clearly more powerful than 360/ps3.
    Well as you rightly point out, the 360 is an "old machine". I am sure MS will be the first to bring out a rival console that will trounce the WiiU, because unlike Sony, they are not really on a ten year plan (the only reason people think they are is because Sony is their main rival). Now the WiiU is here Microsoft's tactics will change, because like you said the WiiU rivals the main HD consoles in terms of power. Nintendo will always be one generation behind in terms of power, regardless of what they try.
    Dont think MS will first this time around imo
  • javvyman 27 Nov 2012 22:21:28 708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Shopto have said they'll be shipping tomorrow via twitter.

    Are W101 and pikmin still slated for the window?
    Good news, hopefully get it for Thursday. Problem is I'm getting X com on Thursday then got another 5 new releases!.. Ahhh too.many.games.....must.choose.
  • RobTheBuilder 27 Nov 2012 22:34:55 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Moot_Point way to complete ignore the point!

    What we have is a mid gen product like Dreamcast. It's not as powerful as it probably should be, but Wii didn't need power to sell ridiculous numbers.

    Power is far more important to the minority than it ever is to the majority.
  • Pinky_Floyd 27 Nov 2012 22:50:24 7,717 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @Moot_Point way to complete ignore the point!

    What we have is a mid gen product like Dreamcast. It's not as powerful as it probably should be, but Wii didn't need power to sell ridiculous numbers.

    Power is far more important to the minority than it ever is to the majority.
    Wasn't the DC more powerful than a PS2 and pretty much as far from mid gen as you could get in that it was in fact, fairly cutting edge?

    I know I'm getting old but my memory is painting a fairly different picture to the one you are painting.
  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 22:52:48
    No
  • King_Edward 27 Nov 2012 22:54:41 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It was more powerful than the PSOne/N64/Saturn. So there was no is it/isn't it "next gen" debate.
  • javvyman 27 Nov 2012 23:04:21 708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Dreamcast wasnt more powerful than the PS2, that was the GameCube. Though the Dreamcast easily had the best games during the first couple of years of the PS2.
  • Pinky_Floyd 27 Nov 2012 23:10:22 7,717 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    The Dreamcast wasnt more powerful than the PS2, that was the GameCube. Though the Dreamcast easily had the best games during the first couple of years of the PS2.
    That could be it right enough.  Took years to get the PS2 to really shine, unwieldy architecture and all that.
  • Moot_Point 28 Nov 2012 00:02:53 3,988 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @Moot_Point way to complete ignore the point!

    What we have is a mid gen product like Dreamcast. It's not as powerful as it probably should be, but Wii didn't need power to sell ridiculous numbers.

    Power is far more important to the minority than it ever is to the majority.
    No, I think you're missing the point entirely. You seem to be going off on a tangent with the Dreamcast, or is that your point, the WiiU will only last 3 years?

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

  • Cappy 28 Nov 2012 00:03:58 11,907 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Selective memory.

    Silent Hill 2 (2001) absolutely shitted all over the Dreamcast's chunky polygon Resident Evil game and made it look like a relic in one stroke, there were titles the Dreamcast could never replicate well within the two years after the PS2 launch, such as Metal Gear Solid 2.

    Even the PS2 equivalent to the Wii U ports which actually were sloppy rush jobs, not the year plus projects people are claiming as lazy for the Wii U manage to display some merit. The PS2 version of Rez runs at twice the frame rate of the Dreamcast version for instance, 60 FPS versus 30 FPS.
  • RobTheBuilder 28 Nov 2012 00:08:37 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Moot_Point firstly you ignored my point in your reply.

    Secondly it was a continuation of reply to your initial point.

    Thirdly, if you quickly ported a Psone game to DC, or a DC game to PS2, you would probably end up with a similar kind of result. That's the point. I'm not arguing DC is more powerful in comparison to what came before.

    Edited by RobTheBuilder at 00:10:40 28-11-2012
  • RobTheBuilder 28 Nov 2012 00:12:06 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd oh and ignoring point again
  • Moot_Point 28 Nov 2012 00:13:17 3,988 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Cappy
    Selective memory.
    I think you're right.

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

  • NotSoSlim 28 Nov 2012 00:21:39 3,122 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @andijames Dont have a est date just order date. Lady said Friday or Saturday

    Edited by NotSoSlim at 00:22:04 28-11-2012
  • gamingdave 28 Nov 2012 00:34:53 4,216 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Well yeah I accounted for those cunts in the "ecosse mong" section of the post gamingdavid
    Only my wife and parents call me David, and thats's when they are having a go, but i'll let you off that ;)

    Clearly though, your either just trolling and fishing for bites, or an idiot.

    You are on a gaming forum, and yet because you've fallen for and feel the need to argue against the dribble of some overly enthusiastic "fanboys" you want to try and rule the high ground by insulting anyone who has anything positive to say on a thread about a new console from unarguably one of the most important names in gaming.
  • roz123 28 Nov 2012 00:40:01 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really well written article on what Nintendo is attempting to do with the Wii U

    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/182294/persuasive_games_wii_cant_go_on_.php
  • gamingdave 28 Nov 2012 00:54:26 4,216 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    gamingdave wrote:
    Just a thought, but maybe gamers would want it, because they like Nintendo games, and it's a Nintendo games machine?
    Why should it be a choice though? Imagine it... a Nintendo console which had access to the best third party games too. Amazing!
    I don't disagree.

    But in front of me are a 360, PS3, Wii and PC. On the shelves behind there's a PS2, Cube, Dreamcast, PS1, N64, Saturn, SNES and Megadrive and a litter of handhelds. (the xbox is in the basement as it's just too ugly, maybe one day I'll let it out)

    No one company has ever made a console that for me would suffice for a generation. In the SNES/Megadrive days I was a young teenager and only had the one (it was an import Genesis with Strider, what a Christmas) but once I could go back I did and since then I have always ended up with them all.

    Each gen I get them all, and each gen I am surprised by which console ends up the most used. I never thought the 360 would be my most used this time, and really believe the Dreamcast to be one of the finest machines ever made and ahead of it's time. Every console I have has at least 5 essential games, which compared to what I used to pump into arcades makes them all cheap even if you only buy those games.

    The PS3 has been the least used this gen, mainly because any cross platform game has generally been bought for the 360 as I prefer the pad and have more mates online. The Wii is not far ahead of the PS3 in use, but the games I have played have been some of the best over the last 5 years.

    I am sure that the 720 or PS4 will have better visuals, and there will be some amazing games I'll play. But I'm equally sure there will be some absolute gems from Nintendo which will make the WiiU worth every penny spent.

    I look forward to seeing what Microsoft and Sony bring to the table and am sure at least one of them will be bought. But the difference between them will be minimal compared to the WiiU. They will both outperform in power, but will the games be that much different?

    The next gen is the first I can see myself possibly missing one out. I can't say which yet, but one thing I am sure of is I won't be missing what Nintendo have to offer.
  • Baleoce 28 Nov 2012 01:11:46 1,185 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @gamingdave You've had a remarkably similar gaming situation to me growing up. I think it's great that every console can bring something different to the table, otherwise what's the point. It would be tragic to have a generation of consoles defined by "which of them did the same thing, the best".

    Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

  • RobTheBuilder 28 Nov 2012 02:52:24 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's the thing, no generation leap in power can ever be as big or impactful as the one from MD/Snes to Playstation/N64/Saturn. In terms of changing the way we play however, it still could be.

    As said above, every console does something different. It's been that way forever, so it should remain.

    Edited by RobTheBuilder at 02:52:34 28-11-2012
  • Raiko101 28 Nov 2012 04:25:55 6,223 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Quite gutted about Batman. I held out on that one hoping to have something extra for the Wii U launch. I guess the four I have will keep me going.

    On another note, Amazon still haven't taken my money! :mad:

    3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

  • Carlo 28 Nov 2012 05:26:07 18,004 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    Really well written article on what Nintendo is attempting to do with the Wii U

    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/182294/persuasive_games_wii_cant_go_on_.php
    That is quite brilliant!

    PSN ID: Djini

  • dean0null 28 Nov 2012 06:55:21 55 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Of course it's the highest week, but even so 750k is a lot for such an old machine.
    Which still out-performs the WiiU.
    Let's not go there!
    While Wii U is disappointingly powered, it's clearly more powerful than 360/ps3.
    Well as you rightly point out, the 360 is an "old machine". I am sure MS will be the first to bring out a rival console that will trounce the WiiU, because unlike Sony, they are not really on a ten year plan (the only reason people think they are is because Sony is their main rival). Now the WiiU is here Microsoft's tactics will change, because like you said the WiiU rivals the main HD consoles in terms of power. Nintendo will always be one generation behind in terms of power, regardless of what they try.
    Dont think MS will first this time around imo
    The Wii U has been explained by developers as having a weaker CPU than the Xbox 360 and PS3, but it does have a better GPU. So it'll be harder for the Wii U to process complex games, but what it does process will look a bit prettier. Also, when Sony talks about it's ten year plan they aren't saying that they will not release a successor until 2016. It means that they hope to support it and sell large quantities through 2016. I wholly suspect that both Sony and Microsoft will release their next generation consoles next year. Sony doesn't want to release after Microsoft this time and we know that the next Xbox is well into development.
  • Page

    of 1358 First / Last

Log in or register to reply