Wii U Page 318

• Page

of 1353 First / Last

• RobTheBuilder 27 Nov 2012 18:14:30 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I agree that Nintendo really needed to create a graphics showcase that would have demonstrated what the machine is capable of. That would have avoided all this debate and probably helped shift a fair few more machines.
  • RobTheBuilder 27 Nov 2012 18:15:44 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Psychotext isn't the point that the gpu can do those calculations far more efficiently?
  • Psychotext 27 Nov 2012 18:20:36 53,915 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Wii has a GPGPU, which means it can perform general purpose calculations as well as the specific GPU related calculations, but it doesn't make it any better at it... and all the power you use doing that you take away from doing the sort of things a GPU normally does.
  • Psychotext 27 Nov 2012 18:22:13 53,915 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    (Wii U, obviously)
  • Baleoce 27 Nov 2012 18:26:45 1,185 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    The Wii has a GPGPU, which means it can perform general purpose calculations as well as the specific GPU related calculations, but it doesn't make it any better at it... and all the power you use doing that you take away from doing the sort of things a GPU normally does.
    Would the comparatively poor CPU and it having a GPGPU mean that ports would need quite a bit of work in order to see any return, or will the ports pretty much always be worse on the Wii U as a result? (I'm not buying the system for the ports (apart from a few I'd like to play in bed), I'm just interested).

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• RobTheBuilder 27 Nov 2012 18:29:20 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Baleoce I'm not sure how much work exactly, but shifting it over would make a huge difference to ports.
  • Psychotext 27 Nov 2012 18:29:29 53,915 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Would depend heavily on the game. I imagine Crysis's single player would be a complete nightmare for instance.

I don't see why most games couldn't at least be equivalent though. Especially with the additional memory available.
  • Deckard1 27 Nov 2012 18:29:47 27,565 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    I agree that Nintendo really needed to create a graphics showcase that would have demonstrated what the machine is capable of. That would have avoided all this debate and probably helped shift a fair few more machines.
    I don't think they think they need to. I don't think Nintendo has any respect for its fans after the Wii. They Wii is in my opinion the worst major games console to be released. I'm sure Nintendo are well aware of how shit it was, yet look at how many it sold. The Wii U stinks of Nintendo just saying any old shit will do, the mongs and soccer moms will still buy. I really want it to fail. And I think it's going to. Once the eccose mongs buy it on release I truly think everyone else will see it for the pointless piece of shit that it is. I'm probably wrong and it will sell in the gazillions, but I dunno. I just don't know why anyone outside of middle aged Nintendo man children would want it.

Hush you ponce

• gamingdave 27 Nov 2012 18:33:03 4,215 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just a thought, but maybe gamers would want it, because they like Nintendo games, and it's a Nintendo games machine?
  • RobTheBuilder 27 Nov 2012 18:34:33 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Deckard1 Sadly I think your personal interpretation of Nintendo games is affecting the way you judge these things.

Nintendo games are fun, just because they have bright graphics and are suitable for kids does not make them children's games. Gaming is far wider and far more varied than you appear to give judgement on. The 360 is probably my favourite console in terms of games but I got a huge amount of great gaming fun from the Wii, and to call it the worst major console is to insult something just because it doesn't fit into your particular preference for games.
  • Deckard1 27 Nov 2012 18:35:32 27,565 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well yeah I accounted for those cunts in the "ecosse mong" section of the post gamingdavid

Hush you ponce

• Psychotext 27 Nov 2012 18:35:43 53,915 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    Just a thought, but maybe gamers would want it, because they like Nintendo games, and it's a Nintendo games machine?
    Why should it be a choice though? Imagine it... a Nintendo console which had access to the best third party games too. Amazing!
  • Gambit1977 27 Nov 2012 18:38:12 9,583 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Surely any 'gamer' is somewhat a man child? (or woman child obviously!)
  • Deckard1 27 Nov 2012 18:39:11 27,565 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @Deckard1 Sadly I think your personal interpretation of Nintendo games is affecting the way you judge these things.

Nintendo games are fun, just because they have bright graphics and are suitable for kids does not make them children's games. Gaming is far wider and far more varied than you appear to give judgement on. The 360 is probably my favourite console in terms of games but I got a huge amount of great gaming fun from the Wii, and to call it the worst major console is to insult something just because it doesn't fit into your particular preference for games.
    You can't really insult an inanimate object but ok. The Wii was a fucking awful awful console by the way. Not for its bright colours and it's suitability to kids, but because it has the worst games catalogue of any console ever released. I'd struggle to name 5 good games for. Endless mini games waggling shit.

Hush you ponce

• javvyman 27 Nov 2012 18:45:05 708 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Would depend heavily on the game. I imagine Crysis's single player would be a complete nightmare for instance.

I don't see why most games couldn't at least be equivalent though. Especially with the additional memory available.
    OK, but i'd rather take the word of Crytek's CEO...

"It doesn't mean that CryEngine 3 doesn't run on Wii U - it actually runs beautifully. In fact, there actually is a game in development from a respected developer that we will be announcing. I've seen the game running and it looks really great."
    Edited by javvyman at 18:45:26 27-11-2012
  • PhoenixFlames 27 Nov 2012 18:45:36 8,942 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    What about people who enjoy novels or films, are they immature in some way as well?

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Psychotext 27 Nov 2012 18:46:34 53,915 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    OK, but i'd rather take the word of Crytek's CEO...
    Yet it's not being ported, and in the same interview he said it would run on an iPad. Beside the fact I'm not talking about CryEngine, I'm talking specially about Crysis (and what it does in single player).

Believe what you will.

Edited by Psychotext at 18:47:41 27-11-2012
  • Gambit1977 27 Nov 2012 18:47:10 9,583 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    What about people who enjoy novels or films, are they immature in some way as well?
    Possibly. I just don't think Nintendo fans can be labelled as man children if other gamers aren't.
  • RobTheBuilder 27 Nov 2012 18:48:03 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Deckard1 spoken like someone who has never played any of the many good games for it. We've done all this topic before by the way, sure it doesn't have hundreds but it has more than enough great games to keep the average gamer entertained for a long long time.

Oh and insulting every person who likes Nintendo games is a simply staggering misunderstanding of how games work.
  • DaM 27 Nov 2012 18:48:10 12,967 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    If it's written by Dan Brown....
  • AlcohollicA 27 Nov 2012 18:49:01 2,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Why should it be a choice though? Imagine it... a Nintendo console which had access to the best third party games too. Amazing!
    This was what made the SNES the best console ever!
  • javvyman 27 Nov 2012 18:49:35 708 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

You can't really insult an inanimate object but ok. The Wii was a fucking awful awful console by the way. Not for its bright colours and it's suitability to kids, but because it has the worst games catalogue of any console ever released. I'd struggle to name 5 good games for. Endless mini games waggling shit.
    You've obviously never played the Wii, or you have, and you were one of the mongs that bought nothing but crap on it.
    I could do a list of the greatest Wii games, but i've got a feeling you're going to come up with a churlish counterpoint no matter what...
  • Deckard1 27 Nov 2012 18:52:59 27,565 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Haha you people are too easy. The Wii is shit though. Any who isn't a cunt can see that.

Hush you ponce

• RobTheBuilder 27 Nov 2012 18:54:18 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Haha you people are too easy. The Wii is shit though. Any who isn't a cunt can see that.
    Apparently one person who is a cunt can see that too.

Idiot.
  • Gambit1977 27 Nov 2012 18:56:28 9,583 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Deckard1 I can see what you're saying. I hated my wii not matter how hard I tried to the contrary.
    But it hasn't stopped me getting a Wii U. In fact, every console they've released since the GC, in every iteration, I've bought and yet sold on. But I still want to at least try it before making my opinion.
  • Gambit1977 27 Nov 2012 18:57:11 9,583 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder

Bit harsh mate - it was a sweeping generalisation, mostly set to wind up.
  • javvyman 27 Nov 2012 18:57:37 708 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Haha you people are too easy, The Wii is great though. I'm a cunt, anyone who isn't a cunt can see that.

Fixed that for you.
  • Gambit1977 27 Nov 2012 19:00:18 9,583 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @javvyman Aww man, I'm a cunt :(
  • RobTheBuilder 27 Nov 2012 19:01:50 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Gambit1977 wasnt referring to you!
  • Gambit1977 27 Nov 2012 19:03:27 9,583 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder I know that mate. I just think it's gotten a bit out of hand. Deckard1 was just on a wind up.

Hmmm, first time I've been on the site using my mac. What a mess! Wonder if it runs better on the Wii U Browser.
  • Page

of 1353 First / Last