Wii U Page 1227

• Page

of 1410 First / Last

• Zomoniac 7 May 2014 14:28:59 7,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    How many of the third party games on GameCube were exclusively Gamecube? I'm sure few folk went out and bought a GameCube for TimeSplitters, Prince of Persia, Tony Hawk or Beyond Good & Evil.
    The Resi remake, RE4 (for a bit), Viewtiful Joe (for a year), Rogue Leader, Eternal Darkness (second party), FF Crystal Chronicles (second party), Twin Snakes, PN03, Pacman Vs.
  • nickthegun 7 May 2014 14:30:28 61,305 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The GC had the best third party line up of any nintendo console for the last 20 years.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• SomaticSense 7 May 2014 14:31:18 9,147 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    zoolophage wrote:
    They need to do something amazing to show why they think the gamepad is a good idea e.g. an asynchronous local/online multiplayer game that shows off why 2 screens is fun.
    Like maybe, I dunno, a new Mario Kart where a second (or third even) player can use the gamepad instead of the TV?

But oh wait. They managed to somehow fuck that up...
  • Raiko101 7 May 2014 14:32:19 6,708 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And yet that third party support could only muster up 1/5th of the sales a motion controller managed with dated hardware.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• LeoliansBro 7 May 2014 14:33:12 44,956 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ignoring the new market Nintendo tapped (and then discarded) with the Wii, each console they have produced has sold roughly 2/3 of the units its predecessor did.

NES: 61.91m
    SNES: 49.10m
    N64: 32.93m
    Gamecube: 21.74m

Assuming underlying core Nintendo sales for the Wii following this pattern, the WiiU should sell 9.5m units. Which is right where Nintendo have forecast.

They are a games manufacturer who also make the hardware their games are played on. But with the hardware install base shrinking despite their best attempts at each iteration, they have to wonder whether there are better options for improving sales.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Fake_Blood 7 May 2014 14:33:58 4,449 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wasn't nintendoland supposed to show what you could do with the gamepad? It failed imo.
  • zoolophage 7 May 2014 14:34:01 2,255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is that right? The second player can't use the gamepad screen on MK8!? Sonic Racing did it so I assumed MK would.

Win great prizes for pc, xbox, nintendo and psn in the 2015 EG Charity Raffle: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/289501

• SomaticSense 7 May 2014 14:37:05 9,147 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    zoolophage wrote:
    Is that right? The second player can't use the gamepad screen on MK8!? Sonic Racing did it so I assumed MK would.
    Something to do with it not 'being in the spirit of MK' or something.

Honestly.
  • zoolophage 7 May 2014 14:38:08 2,255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    /o\

Win great prizes for pc, xbox, nintendo and psn in the 2015 EG Charity Raffle: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/289501

• Zomoniac 7 May 2014 14:39:36 7,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Wasn't nintendoland supposed to show what you could do with the gamepad? It failed imo.
    The Luigi's Mansion game in Nintendo Land showed that asymmetric multiplayer with the game pad could be really great. As long as you didn't mind only playing one little mini-game for the rest of time, and were happy to spend 299 on the hardware at launch, and an extra 160 on controllers, and routinely had four friends round at the same time.
  • sega 7 May 2014 14:44:33 908 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep same with Capcom 5 here. The Resident Evil series is what sold me on the GameCube followed by Sega titles (was coming from the Dreamcast so PSO was also a big seller). The Nintendo titles were an added bonus that sealed the deal.

The Wii U needs to provide a choice, even if the Nintendo titles are of a higher quality. If Mario Kart is the game for the month, what happens if you just don't fancy playing Mario Kart?
  • nickthegun 7 May 2014 14:45:56 61,305 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    And yet that third party support could only muster up 1/5th of the sales a motion controller managed with dated hardware.
    Yep. Pretty much sums up how much of a fad waggle was.

• Armoured_Bear 7 May 2014 14:46:19 11,893 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Their biggest problem is the obsession with being "different" from their competitors, even if that's being much shitter than the other 2 then that's Nintendo's favourite option. It doesn't matter how forced or pointless the differentiation is, doesn't matter how unpopular, as long as it's there, that's the nintendo DNA according to Iwata.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• nickthegun 7 May 2014 14:52:43 61,305 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Their biggest problem, by all accounts, is their insular control freakery.

Different would be fine if you let other people play with your toys.

Edited by nickthegun at 14:55:13 07-05-2014

• Raiko101 7 May 2014 14:53:40 6,708 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like that they want to be different, but you've got to be able to convince the gaming market to buy your device, which if a home console, needs to be powerful and have a decent online service. Those seem to be the key features for modern gaming.

Unfortunately, for Nintendo, combining all 3 of those things is quite expensive and risky.

• malloc 7 May 2014 14:54:57 2,389 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    zoolophage wrote:
    They need to do something amazing to show why they think the gamepad is a good idea e.g. an asynchronous local/online multiplayer game that shows off why 2 screens is fun.
    Like maybe, I dunno, a new Mario Kart where a second (or third even) player can use the gamepad instead of the TV?

But oh wait. They managed to somehow fuck that up...
    My guess is they're keener to get is out as a good game quickly rather than as a showpiece for the gamepad which is what it should be.

Edited by malloc at 14:55:22 07-05-2014
  • Armoured_Bear 7 May 2014 14:58:25 11,893 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

What do you mean? Examples?

• Armoured_Bear 7 May 2014 14:59:37 11,893 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I like that they want to be different, but you've got to be able to convince the gaming market to buy your device, which if a home console, needs to be powerful and have a decent online service. Those seem to be the key features for modern gaming.

Unfortunately, for Nintendo, combining all 3 of those things is quite expensive and risky.
    More risky than a stupidly named underpowered console with an incredibly expensive controller and missing basic functionality?
    In Nintendo's world - maybe, in the real world, I'd say No.

• nickthegun 7 May 2014 15:00:30 61,305 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    and have a decent online service.
    As a slightly boring aside, for one of the most advanced nations on earth, Japan sure as buggery dont understand the internet.

It took sony a dogs age to cobble together a decent online service, japanese games are regularly released with baffling and shit online elements, they dont understand youtube and virtually all gameplay footage is released in quality so bad it looks like it was drawn in crayon.

Its not just nintendo that struggle here, its virtually the whole japanese arm of the industry.

Seriously.. i watch a lot of street fighter footage on youtube. All western footage is HD. *All* japanese footage looks like it was recorded on a 10 year old nokia.

• Fake_Blood 7 May 2014 15:01:55 4,449 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think nintendo still treats devs as they always have. You are so lucky we let you develop for our platform, we'll let you buy one devkit, good luck.
  • nickthegun 7 May 2014 15:03:43 61,305 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

What do you mean? Examples?
    Poor support for third parties, Poor relations with third parties, poor relations with media outlets, poor relations with gaming communities, a bafflingly japan-o-centric view of the entire industry...

'Its my way or the highway' and it seems like an increasing amount of people are choosing the latter.

Them being wilfully different could work out if you have everybody on board, but they dont.

Edited by nickthegun at 15:04:47 07-05-2014

• sega 7 May 2014 15:04:39 908 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saying that, Japan made some great first steps with the Dreamcast online. Sure it was flawed, but it was the first time it was done. They then kind of lost interest until pretty much the last generation.
  • Zomoniac 7 May 2014 15:09:33 7,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sega wrote:
    Saying that, Japan made some great first steps with the Dreamcast online. Sure it was flawed, but it was the first time it was done. They then kind of lost interest until pretty much the last generation.
    They made first steps by default because there were no western console manufacturers then, they were dying fast and knew that to survive they had to appeal to the larger western market.
  • Raiko101 7 May 2014 15:15:40 6,708 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    zoolophage wrote:

Honestly.
    To be fair, the game looks a lot more impressive than Sonic Racing, runs at a solid 60fps and at 1080p. Although still clearly an oversight on Nintendo's behalf, i'm sure some sacrifices would have to have been made in order to achieve that second screen on the Gamepad.

Still, it's a damn shame they haven't included it. It's a great feature.

• Armoured_Bear 7 May 2014 15:35:40 11,893 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    zoolophage wrote:

Honestly.
    To be fair, the game looks a lot more impressive than Sonic Racing, runs at a solid 60fps and at 1080p. Although still clearly an oversight on Nintendo's behalf, i'm sure some sacrifices would have to have been made in order to achieve that second screen on the Gamepad.

I don't think it's 1080p but it does look gorgeous.

• SomaticSense 7 May 2014 15:36:16 9,147 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    zoolophage wrote:

Honestly.

It's the kind of thing that might've tipped someone like me over the fence into getting a Wii U.

I love offline multi MK, and a little feature like that would be more important to me than 1080p,
  • Cappy 7 May 2014 18:01:48 12,117 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there a confirmed number for Wii U sales to the consumer?

The just over six million number is getting used interchangeably as both a shipped and sold to customers number depending on who is reporting. I really doubt the Wii U is anywhere close to being sold out so how many from that six million are sitting in retail back rooms and warehouses?
  • macmurphy 7 May 2014 18:25:51 999 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It said on the BBC that 3DS games are coming to the Wii U. Is this old news? Makes a Wii a much more viable purchase, albeit as a home based handheld which is a bit shit.

I would pay pounds for an awful lot of GBA games to be released on the 3DS, they are fucking eedjits for not sorting this out.

Makes sense, GBA to 3DS, 3DS to WiiU. The GBA to WiiU just seems daft.
  • Raiko101 7 May 2014 18:30:49 6,708 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As far as I remember, Nintendo may have manufactured as many as 10 million units. I imagine if that 6 million isn't sold, there's very little between between the two. Its not being heavily stocked anywhere.

Did Nintendo post anything about digital software sales?

• Raiko101 7 May 2014 18:34:10 6,708 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @macmurphy There was talk about developing games that could be released on both 3DS and Wii U. Rumours kicked up a notch when Nintendo merged their hardware divisions and there were even rumours of a HD Luigi's Mansion 2.

To be honest, I could see such a concept working. Fair enough the 3DS is selling rather well, but there are people out there that tend to avoid handheld gaming altogether, so they might consider picking up such games for a home console.

Edited by Raiko101 at 18:38:50 07-05-2014

• Page

of 1410 First / Last