Wii U Page 1226

• Page

of 1370 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 7 May 2014 12:28:00 11,348 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I dont think anyone really wants them to 'do a sega', i.e. crashing and burning into being software only thanks to their entire business model collapsing, leading to massive restructuring and abandoning developing the games that made them so popular in the first place.

Its actually possible for nintendo to go software only without completely imploding first.
    Probably unlikely though :-)

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• nickthegun 7 May 2014 12:38:34 60,452 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh yeah. They are more likely to properly 'do a sega' out of sheer obstinance.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Zomoniac 7 May 2014 12:47:28 7,852 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Furtive_Pygmy wrote:
    They should do a Sega and just make games for the other consoles. :D
    Yeah that worked out well.
    Worked out fine. They're making hefty profits, Nintendo are not.
    Hardly the development force they were.
    No, far from it. But from a business perspective, they're doing just fine.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 May 2014 12:50:20 11,348 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Furtive_Pygmy wrote:
    So we should wish for Nintendo to make money by being a shell of their former selves?

• RyanDS 7 May 2014 12:52:35 9,583 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Furtive_Pygmy wrote:
    So we should wish for Nintendo to make money by being a shell of their former selves?
    They already are a shell of their former selves.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 May 2014 12:53:25 11,348 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Furtive_Pygmy wrote:
    They already are a shell of their former selves.
    They'll become a shell of their current selves.
    That's a shell of a shell.
    Fuck.

• ecu 7 May 2014 12:55:02 77,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Wii U at 6.17m shipped, forecast of 3.6m for the coming year.
    Fucking hell, it'll be lucky to do Gamecube numbers when it's all said and done.
    GameCube didn't feel like a flop though. I had tons of games for mine and it was never a problem. Wii U feels like it might as well not exist.
  • RyanDS 7 May 2014 12:58:19 9,583 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Fucking hell, it'll be lucky to do Gamecube numbers when it's all said and done.
    GameCube didn't feel like a flop though. I had tons of games for mine and it was never a problem. Wii U feels like it might as well not exist.
    I bought a gamecube very late and had months of fun on it. It certainly did not feel like a console lacking in games to me. Eternal Darkness alone gave me more entertainment than the entirety of the Wii and Wii U catalogues combined. I may have felt differently if I had bought early though.
  • rock27gr 7 May 2014 13:03:09 5,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GameCube was in much better situation sales and software wise than the Wii U indeed, but exaggerate much are you? More fun than Wii and WiiU catalogues combined indeed.
  • rock27gr 7 May 2014 13:05:31 5,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    rock27gr wrote:
    So we're back to the "doomed" line I see.
    The risk isn't that Nintendo go under. The risk is that they stop trying and exit the home console market.
    Indeed it feels like that right now doesn't it. Let's hope they do try, though I can't see them going after the PS4 and XboxOne at all. Not sure it'd be wise to do so either.
  • Sid-Nice 7 May 2014 13:08:21 15,851 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The same news from a different source makes better reading than the EG front page.

The Wii U sold only 2.72 million units for the year ended March 31, 2014, Nintendo has announced as part of its year end financial results.

This puts the console's life-to-date total at 6.17 million units, with software units at 32.28 million units.

Nintendo has forecast Wii U hardware sales for the year ending March 31, 2015 at 3.6 million units.

For the year Nintendo reported net sales of 571.7 billion yen and a gross profit of 163.2 billion yen.

Source: Nintendo Investor Relations:

EG are basing the loss on the previous fiscal year sales.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Armoured_Bear 7 May 2014 13:10:00 11,348 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I bought a gamecube very late and had months of fun on it. It certainly did not feel like a console lacking in games to me. Eternal Darkness alone gave me more entertainment than the entirety of the Wii and Wii U catalogues combined. I may have felt differently if I had bought early though.
    Bloody hell, exagerrate much.

• ecu 7 May 2014 13:15:22 77,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rock27gr wrote:
    GameCube was in much better situation sales and software wise than the Wii U indeed, but exaggerate much are you? More fun than Wii and WiiU catalogues combined indeed.
    Not too far away IMO. If I was to list my favourite games from GC, Wii and Wii U, I would think that at least half of my list would be Gamecube games.
  • RyanDS 7 May 2014 13:18:40 9,583 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    rock27gr wrote:
    Wii I liked wii sports and Xenoblade. Mario Galaxy was okay, if bland and lacking in effort for me. No other game was even decent, mostly down to the terrible controller. To be fair drunken Mario Kart was fun though.

Wii U... I had for 6 months, and honestly only NSMBU was worth playing, and that was only a 6/10 for me. I have never been more disappointed in a console.

Gamecube had Zelda Wind Waker, Eternal Darkness, Tony Hawk, Pikmin, Super Monkey Ball, Resident Evil, Timesplitters, Rogue Leader, Beyond Good and Evil, Sands of Time and so on.

So yes, I would say I probably spent 3 times as much on Gamecube games as the Wii and Wii U combined.

/personal opinion etc. But this is why I get so frustrated with Nintendo so much these days, they just don't try. They just coast. I cannot imagine modern Nintendo funding Eternal Darkness.
  • FatSternKikwi 7 May 2014 14:01:56 575 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Gamecube had f zero, metroid, luigis mansion, and the usual mario games.

The Wii U is never going to be a big third party device. But Nintendo either need to ramp up software production or pack up shop.
  • rock27gr 7 May 2014 14:02:56 5,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fair enough. I had tons of fun with the Wii, lots of gems hidden in it's games catalogue, both first and third party. And Galaxy was great, both of them were.
  • SomaticSense 7 May 2014 14:05:31 8,698 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Mario Galaxy's aside, the Gamecube utterly stomps on the Wii/Wii U with regards pure, core gaming experiences.

It's not even a contest.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 7 May 2014 14:06:21 4,001 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Lego City Undercover and a Premium Wii U in my local Smyths for 239.99 euro.......

Very tempted, and definitely wouldn't trade for tyres this time, with Mario Kart so near.....
  • LeoliansBro 7 May 2014 14:07:34 44,506 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    The same news from a different source makes better reading than the EG front page.

The Wii U sold only 2.72 million units for the year ended March 31, 2014, Nintendo has announced as part of its year end financial results.

This puts the console's life-to-date total at 6.17 million units, with software units at 32.28 million units.

Nintendo has forecast Wii U hardware sales for the year ending March 31, 2015 at 3.6 million units.

For the year Nintendo reported net sales of 571.7 billion yen and a gross profit of 163.2 billion yen.

Source: Nintendo Investor Relations:

Not they aren't.

Gross profit comes before operating costs. They made an operating loss. Which is the same as saying your business model is unsustainable.

Operating loss comes before financing costs. They also made a net loss, which is the same as saying their financial shenanigans are not even able to save them, and that they actually lost money.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 14:07:46 07-05-2014

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• PazJohnMitch 7 May 2014 14:07:48 8,326 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:

Are you sure it is not a currency thing. Nintendo has previously made a profit in Yen but a loss in US Dollars (Pounds or Euros) as the Yen devalued by more than the profit they had made.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 May 2014 14:09:04 24,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The difference is that the cube had at least a fair bunch of 3rd party games. The Wii/WiiU have Nintendo games and... that's pretty much it.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• nickthegun 7 May 2014 14:09:11 60,452 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If nothing else, nintendo need to release an F-Zero just to shut everyone up.

• Pinky_Floyd 7 May 2014 14:10:29 8,038 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    If nothing else, nintendo need to release an F-Zero just to shut everyone up.
    An HD version of GX would be enough to shut me up. For a short amount of time.
  • Fake_Blood 7 May 2014 14:20:49 4,289 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    F-zero will only please nintendo fans, they need a new wii sports casual game.
  • Raiko101 7 May 2014 14:23:37 6,423 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How many of the third party games on GameCube were exclusively Gamecube? I'm sure few folk went out and bought a GameCube for TimeSplitters, Prince of Persia, Tony Hawk or Beyond Good & Evil.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Zomoniac 7 May 2014 14:25:03 7,852 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    F-zero will only please nintendo fans, they need a new wii sports casual game.
    Too late. They will never get the casuals on board. Calling it Wii U made sure of that.

Right now their only real option short of abandoning it completely is to try win back the 20 million people who bought a GameCube, and build from there. And even then I don't think that's possible, they're all playing CoD and FIFA now.
  • sega 7 May 2014 14:25:42 907 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's no way the Wii U is ever going to catch the GameCube. I'd be surprised if it even beat the Saturn or the Dreamcast. The GameCube had over 20 million sales and I really don't see that as possible for the Wii U.

The GameCube has a much better library for me. The full Resident Evil series and games like Rogue Squadron, Killer 7, Capcom Vs SNK 2, Pikmin, Soul Calibur 2, Viewtiful Joe, F-Zero GX, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime do it for me. I even re-bought a lot of Dreamcast classics like Sonic Adventure, Sonic Collection, Crazy Taxi and Phantasy Star Online. The GameCube also had games like FIFA on board.

There's really no way back now. It needs to be written off and Nintendo should move on to something else.
  • zoolophage 7 May 2014 14:27:07 1,856 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They need to do something amazing to show why they think the gamepad is a good idea e.g. an asynchronous local/online multiplayer game that shows off why 2 screens is fun. Quite why there is not a fps like Wario's World of Water Pistol Wars is beyond me. Nintendo characters running around crazy worlds and shooting all kinds of crazy Nintendo themed weapons at each other. Amazing.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• nickthegun 7 May 2014 14:27:37 60,452 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    How many of the third party games on GameCube were exclusively Gamecube? I'm sure few folk went out and bought a GameCube for TimeSplitters, Prince of Persia, Tony Hawk or Beyond Good & Evil.
    Youre joking arent you? The capcom five sold me a GC by themselves.

• rock27gr 7 May 2014 14:28:06 5,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Raiko101

True, but they at least had the option to buy them on GC. It fleshed out the library and complimented the 1st party games. Games like Resident Evil 4 and REmake where must buys. Not many 3rd party exclusives around any console anyway.
  • Page

of 1370 First / Last