Wii U Page 1031

• Page

of 1411 First / Last

• Pinky_Floyd 11 Nov 2013 10:46:18 8,345 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    So... while you people have been playing lets dance and singing karaoke, you have provided the gaming world another chance to laugh at you for buying less copies of CoD than people who dont even own the PS4 yet.

For shaaaaaaame.
    I'm sure I won't sleep tonight for worrying about this.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2013 10:46:32
    nickthegun wrote:
    So... while you people have been playing lets dance and singing karaoke, you have provided the gaming world another chance to laugh at you for buying less copies of CoD than people who dont even own the PS4 yet.

For shaaaaaaame.
    But.. But.. but... :)

But. Rayman legends did sell better on wii U than other platforms. Not all that bad ( did that even get reported?)
  • nickthegun 11 Nov 2013 10:50:29 61,317 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    I'm sure I won't sleep tonight for worrying about this.
    You really owe it to yourself and your fellow fans to add it to 'the pile'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Erek 11 Nov 2013 11:04:54 262 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    GassyHaggis wrote:
    I missed the Zelda pack a few weeks back for 199.99 so when I saw that Play deal for the Mario pack I grabbed it with both hands. Looking forward to it now. :D
    yes, I missed the Zelda bundle by an hour or so so leapt on this too. Historically I'm a fan of Mario who has been disappointed with previous entries in the NSMB series but I hear this one is a bit better..

NNID: Erekose200

• Deleted user 11 November 2013 11:07:38
    @nickthegun

To be fair nick, had you waited to get your (die hard 1) barnet cut in the barbers the other day; like I did, and listened to a (fifty something) barber's CoD/BF4/Tigerwoods and xbox chat with some equally clueless (40 something) customer, the fun of shouting abuse, etc, you to would be glad to be disassociated with that gaming demographic.

EG is thankfully a place with gamers that live and breath their hobby, not a field for mindless sheep. So of course Nintendo gamers will buy less shovelware. Miyamoto San has been besting that crap on his consoles for decades.

Edited by vizzini at 11:10:47 11-11-2013
  • treegreen 11 Nov 2013 11:14:41 109 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Looks like we're about to lose another third party.

Warner Bros. is all we have left! :-P
  • stevethemeat 11 Nov 2013 11:21:25 624 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tempted by that play.com deal, got to pick one up for the kids for Christmas, does anyone think there will be better deals in a couple of weeks when the One/PS4 hit?

Edited by stevethemeat at 11:21:36 11-11-2013
  • DFawkes 11 Nov 2013 11:21:59 24,053 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    treegreen wrote:
    Looks like we're about to lose another third party.

Warner Bros. is all we have left! :-P
    Nah, we'll still get Skylanders sequels from Activision as they can subsidise it with all the plastic tat. I'm not hating on the tat, I love buying the figures and things more that a man in his late 20s should, but they're surprising solid games so I enjoy playing them.

As for deals, I reckon the January sales will be a good time. Retailers will most likely try to get rid of the less popular bundles, so I can see Basic's going for low prices.

Edited by DFawkes at 11:23:12 11-11-2013

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• treegreen 11 Nov 2013 11:25:55 109 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DFawkes
    Not that surprising... It's Wii U's highest rated game on metacritic!
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Nov 2013 11:43:52 11,895 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Chav gamers buy chav games for chav consoles.
    Discerning gamer buys quality games for the thinking man's console.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• treegreen 11 Nov 2013 11:47:59 109 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ESPN sports connection has sold more than wonderful 101 though
  • acousticwilliam 11 Nov 2013 11:48:45 801 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spent a lot of time playing NSMB wii co-op this last week. Felt stale but got pretty fun.

Then yesterday we got Rayman Legends for the PS3 - holy flip it's so fresh and fun in comparison.

Now the 199.99 Wii U NSMB bundle appears... what should I do? It's too good to be true. Are NSMBU and NSLU really good?

NNID: Willum

• jellyBelly 11 Nov 2013 11:52:01 466 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well in a way this COD statistic is not that surpissing, perhaps except its actual magnitude. It confirms what a lot of people suspect but find it hard to quantify, i.e. different boxes have different demographics. For a title like COD the expectation from industry figures and analysts is that it transcends demographics, however as it is now fairly plain this is not the case. The fact that Rayman sold more on the U is, on the flip side, quite a positive statistic which I hope spurs on Ubi and other pubs to pay at least some attention to the machine.

Edited by jellyBelly at 11:52:37 11-11-2013

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• Pinky_Floyd 11 Nov 2013 12:01:31 8,345 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd like to think that folk who love games enough to own a Wii U are a bit more discerning in the games they purchase, but that is patently not the case as the dire sales of Wonderful 101 show.
  • DFawkes 11 Nov 2013 12:03:02 24,053 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair, I think W101 is a very love it or hate it game, and the demo really doesn't do the game justice unless you go out of your way to learn how to play properly. I know it put me off the game until people started linking to guides and things.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Deleted user 11 November 2013 12:11:37
    It is a problem that does seem to plague a lot of platinum games, i'm currently playing MGR:R, and enjoying it a lot, but it wasn;t till chapter 3 where i got my head round how to parry, and dodge using the X, SQ, move.

They do make great games, but they are pretty duanting to learn. I know handholding is frowned upon in the gaming community, but platnimun could do with making tutorials better, i think it would improve there pretty meagre game sales.

Ashame really.
  • acousticwilliam 11 Nov 2013 12:13:12 801 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DFawkes Would you say back in the GC days Viewtiful Joe was also a marmite game? I loved it, but can't help but feel this is history repeating.

(Yes, I know there are nods and it's the same team pretty much.)

• jellyBelly 11 Nov 2013 12:21:08 466 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a somewhat controversial statement, but for a title like W101 a Key Performance Indicator might not necessarily be unit sales, or ROI, but non-financial concepts like sentiment towards the console (a measurable quantity)

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• DFawkes 11 Nov 2013 12:26:04 24,053 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    acousticwilliam wrote:
    @DFawkes Would you say back in the GC days Viewtiful Joe was also a marmite game? I loved it, but can't help but feel this is history repeating.
    I'm afraid I never played that as I never really fancied it from the videos I saw. Much like W101, really - I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up and I'd be terrible at it so I didn't bother. I only gave in a bought W101 when I was told in this thread you essentially have infinite lives (though it massacres your score). I just like to get to the end :)

• rock27gr 11 Nov 2013 12:52:00 5,787 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jonathanlealand wrote:
    latest Wii U bargain: Premium Wii u + Mario/Luigi bundle - 199

http://www.play.com/stores/ShopTo/listing/884882390
    I don't understand why ShopTo keep doing these deals on their Play.com account but not on their own site.

It's infuriating, especially since on Play they don't ship to Europe.
  • rock27gr 11 Nov 2013 12:55:45 5,787 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    As for deals, I reckon the January sales will be a good time. Retailers will most likely try to get rid of the less popular bundles, so I can see Basic's going for low prices.
    You would think so, but considering the original Premium and Basic are selling at higher prices than the newer bundles I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by rock27gr at 12:58:18 11-11-2013
  • CompetitiveDad 11 Nov 2013 13:17:50 2,857 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    My wii u order has been dispatched! Whoohoooo :)
  • MrSemprini 11 Nov 2013 13:33:59 9,449 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    acousticwilliam wrote:Are NSMBU and NSLU really good?
    This is the fourth iteration of the "New" series so if you're expecting a radical departure from its predecessors than you'll be disappointed. If you're sick of the sight of much the same graphical assets being used again, you won't like it. If you're sick of the sound of much the same music being used again, you won't like it. It is however, probably the best iteration they have made. There is a reasonable challenge (certainly for 100% completion), the mission modes are great fun and the level design is a notch or two above what has been before. Bugger all online as to be expected but as long as you're not utterly jaded with the series, yes, it's decent.
  • acousticwilliam 11 Nov 2013 13:42:52 801 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MrSemprini Cheers for the info. The art is bland as heck, but I'm looking forward to trying it out in HD. I guess the only thing I truly can't stand is the music. Apart from being recycled to ham and back, it's just so uninspiring.
    I felt completely spoiled by the music of Mario Galaxy. You make a sandwich listening to that and it suddenly feels like you're saving the world.

• Pinky_Floyd 11 Nov 2013 13:43:39 8,345 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The thing with NSMBU is that it carries the legacy of the previous New versions, which were probably just 'decent' entries into the Mario universe so many people dismissed it out of hand.

Play it however and it slowly reveals itself to be a bit of a classic. That level design, it just can't be beat, it's outstanding and of course it's just so damn playable.

I've yet to play Luigi but a lot of people rate it higher than NSMBU. If so, that's high praise indeed because I have a real soft spot for NSMBU, I found it to be thoroughly superb (and still do, as I'm currently working my way through finding all the coins in each level).
  • acousticwilliam 11 Nov 2013 13:49:34 801 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DFawkes Back when Platinum were Clover, it's those sort of bastard-hard mechanics that drew me to Viewtiful Joe, along with the art and pop references.

Exactly as you described Viewtiful Joe I feel like that's how the majority feel about 101. I can't comment really as I don't own a Wii U yet, but I do know I will get 101.

I echo the same thoughts of Platinum (& their past persona) in that they're seriously amazing and underwhelmingly loved by the world.

Who knows, maybe they're go in-house at Nintendo?

• Deleted user 11 November 2013 13:59:09
    Pinky knows the score on NSMBU. This shouldn't even bear the same name, it should have been called something completely different. I played a few worlds on the DS and Wii versions and found them utterly average. Not a patch on Mario 3 or World.

This is in a different league, the best 2D platformer since SMW.
  • Pinky_Floyd 11 Nov 2013 14:02:10 8,345 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    rumblesushi wrote:
    Pinky knows the score on NSMBU. This shouldn't even bear the same name, it should have been called something completely different. I played a few worlds on the DS and Wii versions and found them utterly average. Not a patch on Mario 3 or World.

This is in a different league, the best 2D platformer since SMW.
    I suspect most reviewers didn't actually play NSMBU to completion either and they took the path of least resistance with it, which might explain the baffling lower metacritic score of NSMBU than the other entries in the series.
  • AceGrace 11 Nov 2013 14:06:37 1,294 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Why is the mario bundle 35 cheaper on play/shopto than shopto?

www.performathon.co.uk

The easy way to find local, live musicians and entertainment.

• Pinky_Floyd 11 Nov 2013 14:08:54 8,345 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AceGrace wrote:
    Why is the mario bundle 35 cheaper on play/shopto than shopto?
    No one knows, it's one of life's little mysteries. Who know's what Igor is up to.....
  • Page

of 1411 First / Last