Wii U Page 832

• Page

of 1212 First / Last

• Ashleyfiddes 31 Jul 2013 13:47:56 980 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd cool, how do you suck an egg, i have tried but can never fit the fecker in without taking a bite out of it
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Jul 2013 13:48:42 6,428 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ashleyfiddes wrote:
    @Pinky_Floyd cool, how do you suck an egg, i have tried but can never fit the fecker in without taking a bite out of it
    Ask ecosse, he can suck 2 eggs at the same time ;)
  • Armoured_Bear 31 Jul 2013 13:49:31 8,749 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

No, their R&D figures were very high for several years towards the end of the Wii.
    remember that although the GPU/CPU are underpowered they use a stupidly low amount of power and generate bugger all heat with full BC. I don't think it was cheap at all, never mind the gamepad and lag free streaming tech.

They didn't cheap out on R&D they just had very stupid priorities with the obsession with BC and ultra low power consumption.

As for miiverse, it's integrated into the OS, btw software development isn't cheap.
    Ultra low power consumption = small form factor and easy cooling and cheaper manufacturing costs. It was a reasonably prudent decision.

BC is cool, otherwise most of us would have had nothing to play on the damn thing this past while ;)

It's integrated into the OS, yes, isn't the OS software? Yes, so I already said that.

Thanks for the reminder that software development isn't cheap but given that I work in software development and have done for 12 years I think I know how to suck an egg ;)
    Prudent, not IMO.
    They could have had a larger, interesting looking case (i.e. not a stretched wii to confuse joe tard) with higher consumption but a lot more power which would have helped in not alienating developers.
    IMO the prioritisation of ultra low power and BC is exactly what's wrong with Nintendo and shows how out of touch they are.

What kind of Software Development are you in?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 31 Jul 2013 13:49:48 8,749 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Ashleyfiddes wrote:
    Ask ecosse, he can suck 2 eggs at the same time ;)
    I wish :-(

• neilka 31 Jul 2013 13:54:42 14,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I knew he liked them young but eggs?!
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Jul 2013 14:02:21 6,428 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear At the moment? Medical - but I've been involved in banking, property, telecoms and a myriad of other types.

Games? Nah - I don't fancy working those long hours then ending up hating the hobby that I genuinely love. I did once turn down a job with a well known top (at the time) games development company. Pretty glad I did because despite their particular big name success they wound up a few years later.

Where I work now, I work 7.5 hours every day with no evenings or weekends (unless doing a production release). Not too many people who work in software can say that, so I'm pretty lucky.
  • Youthist 31 Jul 2013 14:03:46 9,902 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And you have been posting on here all day too - so not sure they are getting quite "7.5 hours" out of you tbh.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Ashleyfiddes 31 Jul 2013 14:05:15 980 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Youthist two computers makes it easy to work and type
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Jul 2013 14:08:07 6,428 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    And you have been posting on here all day too - so not sure they are getting quite "7.5 hours" out of you tbh.
    Still working away! Though admittedly it's a quietish day as our current project being canned and another one winging it's way toward us.
  • nickthegun 31 Jul 2013 14:08:39 55,877 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    10,000 sold in Europe in three months is about 100 a day or an average of two per country per day. It'd actually be feasible for a Nintendo representative to personally congratulate everyone who bought one.
    In a funny hat.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Armoured_Bear 31 Jul 2013 14:11:46 8,749 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear At the moment? Medical - but I've been involved in banking, property, telecoms and a myriad of other types.

Games? Nah - I don't fancy working those long hours then ending up hating the hobby that I genuinely love. I did once turn down a job with a well known top (at the time) games development company. Pretty glad I did because despite their particular big name success they wound up a few years later.

Where I work now, I work 7.5 hours every day with no evenings or weekends (unless doing a production release). Not too many people who work in software can say that, so I'm pretty lucky.
    I wouldn't fancy games either for the same reasons as you. I'm currently in finance but before it was Space and Aerospace which I miss...

• Zizoo 31 Jul 2013 14:12:14 7,713 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    neilka wrote:
    10,000 sold in Europe in three months is about 100 a day or an average of two per country per day. It'd actually be feasible for a Nintendo representative to personally congratulate everyone who bought one.
    In a funny hat.
    In a barrel.
  • midi82 31 Jul 2013 14:23:49 578 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    wasn't that their E3 presentation
  • Ashleyfiddes 31 Jul 2013 14:26:10 980 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    i just had a very scary thought, i always get the impression that iwata isnt really in charge and that he is a puppet for the real president of nintendo. I was trying to work out who it could be then it hit me

I reckon Nintendo is run by Mr Game and Watch!!!!
  • Cappy 31 Jul 2013 14:36:54 11,706 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The real reason it's considered bad form to bail on an ailing platform mid-cycle is that it seriously harms relations with third parties rather than companies taking the needs of customers into account.

Third parties are spending their own money developing for a closed system and it's not helping platform holder relations with developers and publishers to pull the rug out from under them actively sabotaging potential sales by cutting or ceasing production, alongside pulling advertising and support. The platform holder is in effect salting the Earth behind them as they exit the market.

Though if anybody could do it, Nintendo could, at this point how many third parties are investing in the system? The really interesting indicator will be how many projects will be scheduled in the long term, the next new Zelda game is probably the farthest off from release 2015? 2016? I don't really see much evidence of third party activity that far along.
  • malloc 31 Jul 2013 15:03:32 2,136 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a lot happening that we can't see and what the state of play will be in 2016 is impossible to know. Nintendo are hard at work playing catch up, for Nintendo fans I think 2014 and 15 will be good years.

If third parties change their minds it will be closer to 2016 before we see much.
  • Blerk Moderator 31 Jul 2013 15:31:18 48,224 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Oddly, my local Sainos has got a single shelf of Wii U games back.. next to a six or seven shelf rack of nintendo merchandise.
    Here's my local Sainsbury's newly-relocated Wii U display, which shows pretty much exactly how much they value it.
    Just to follow this up, today they filled the empty Wii U bay with this!
  • Ashleyfiddes 31 Jul 2013 15:33:11 980 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Blerk what sainsbury's do you go too??? it looks alot better then the one by my work
  • LeoliansBro 31 Jul 2013 15:44:04 41,869 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, their R&D figures were very high for several years towards the end of the Wii.
    remember that although the GPU/CPU are underpowered they use a stupidly low amount of power and generate bugger all heat with full BC.
    I for one am glad that underclocking elderly tech was the main focus of their development dollar. Many's the time I worried that my Wii was using too much electricity, or wasn't chilled enough. Sorted!

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Armoured_Bear 31 Jul 2013 15:44:41 8,749 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    remember that although the GPU/CPU are underpowered they use a stupidly low amount of power and generate bugger all heat with full BC.
    I for one am glad that underclocking elderly tech was the main focus of their development dollar. Many's the time I worried that my Wii was using too much electricity, or wasn't chilled enough. Sorted!
    Indeed.

• nickthegun 31 Jul 2013 15:45:28 55,877 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Oddly, my local Sainos has got a single shelf of Wii U games back.. next to a six or seven shelf rack of nintendo merchandise.
    Here's my local Sainsbury's newly-relocated Wii U display, which shows pretty much exactly how much they value it.
    Just to follow this up, today they filled the empty Wii U bay with this!
    Yeah, thats *exactly* what mine looks like. One shelf of Wii U games and a shitload of nintendo tat.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Ashleyfiddes 31 Jul 2013 15:48:25 980 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @LeoliansBro don't forget their biggest development project. After seeing the red ring of death and yellow ring of death, Nintendo made the decision to do away with rings of any kind therefore negating the issue on their console.

Deserves a mention no??
  • LeoliansBro 31 Jul 2013 15:57:48 41,869 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nintendo hardware has always been the last word in robustness, but then so has a brieze block. Being physically tough and having games I want to play are two very separate things funded by the same R&D spend. I think they got the balance wrong.

• Ashleyfiddes 31 Jul 2013 16:02:27 980 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @LeoliansBro ok, i know you have been asked this before and factoring in thta they have just released the wii u and wont abandon it (hypothetically)

what, in your eyes, could nintendo do to rescue the situation

i honestly dont think it is going to hit big numbers but what would make you willing to part with your money on another nintendo console
  • LeoliansBro 31 Jul 2013 16:03:47 41,869 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do you mean 'rescue the situation' or 'rescue the WiiU'?

But anyway, this always leads to shit flinging so I'll pass, ta.

• Ashleyfiddes 31 Jul 2013 16:05:46 980 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    i would have said rescue the wii u, but i get your drift though ecosse has been pretty quiet recently. I think that the fact we are having reasonable-ish discussions (disagreements) about nintendo has scared him into his cave
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Jul 2013 17:19:29 6,428 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So, the wii u version of the upcoming batman is the only version without a multiplayer component.

Discuss.

/popcorn
  • neilka 31 Jul 2013 17:21:29 14,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh dear.
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Jul 2013 17:29:52 6,428 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is that it?
  • neilka 31 Jul 2013 17:35:06 14,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago