Wii U Page 831

• Page

of 1356 First / Last

• RyanDS 31 Jul 2013 12:59:03 9,218 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Do Nintendo ever panic?

I assume they don't make a loss on wii u hardware so despite atrocious sales - it's not losing them money.

Well they don't make much of a loss on hardware, however that 32.42 they spent on R&D copying the stuff that other people did 7 years ago will also have to be recouped.
  • Psychotext 31 Jul 2013 12:59:16 53,936 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Do Nintendo ever panic?
    You could argue Nintendo panicking about the 3DS is why the Wii had such a drought at the end and why the Wii U has had so few games to start with.
  • Aretak 31 Jul 2013 12:59:37 10,350 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    I assume they don't make a loss on wii u hardware so despite atrocious sales - it's not losing them money.
    They're apparently taking a small hit on the hardware, but only to the degree that one game sale along with it will see them profit on the deal.

I don't see Nintendo abandoning the Wii U for at least a couple more years though. For one, they're too stubborn for that. But more importantly, they'd completely fuck over everybody who actually has bought one, and tarnish their brand even further.
  • Rhaegyr 31 Jul 2013 13:00:05 1,563 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You heard it here first guys - "it's over".

lol.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 13:02:46 31-07-2013
  • Ashleyfiddes 31 Jul 2013 13:02:38 980 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Aretak exactly what sega did with the dremacast!!!
  • Rhaegyr 31 Jul 2013 13:04:38 1,563 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ashleyfiddes wrote:
    @Aretak exactly what sega did with the dremacast!!!
    Do you mean Sega screwed their consumers over by giving up support?

The DC has one of the best and most varied games libraries for any console - I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I wouldn't say it was abandoned by SEGA either, more like the developers abandoned the console.
  • Psychotext 31 Jul 2013 13:04:49 53,936 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I imagine it'll go much like the gamecube did.
  • Ashleyfiddes 31 Jul 2013 13:10:25 980 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rhaegyr ah sorry it was just before dreamcast

sega brought out the genesis segacd & sega 32X around the same time, people brought it then a few months later they released the saturn. Then when sales were low they announced the dreamcast a few years after (i am trying to remember from an article i read a little while ago)

i do remember sega got to the point where they just kept chucking out new consoles and add ons at a rate where people didnt want to buy
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Jul 2013 13:16:53 7,680 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sega were getting themselves into all sorts of financial difficulty when they decided to abandon the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast was actually doing quite well - though the PS2 was the clear leader, but they had been set crazy shipping and sales targets that the hardware division couldn't match - so the plug was pulled.
  • Sid-Nice 31 Jul 2013 13:18:35 15,852 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Someone in Newcastle has just bought a Wii U.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Rhaegyr 31 Jul 2013 13:18:56 1,563 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Ashleyfiddes

Definitely agreed there - all the add-on's you referenced, the 'surprise' launch of the Saturn and Dreamcast announcement (and the modem debacle) really soured a lot of people on SEGA.

It's a shame that all this crap preceded the DC as I'd argue it's easily SEGA's best console.
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Jul 2013 13:22:08 7,680 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Get it up on the satellite feed!
  • Sid-Nice 31 Jul 2013 13:23:40 15,852 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    Get it up on the satellite feed!
    Update: Sorry they were on their way to CEX with it.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Armoured_Bear 31 Jul 2013 13:26:06 10,569 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Do Nintendo ever panic?

Well they don't make much of a loss on hardware, however that 32.42 they spent on R&D copying the stuff that other people did 7 years ago will also have to be recouped.
    Yep, the Gamepad with screen and sensors, the 2GB RAM, the modern GPU, the Miiverse online community were all awesome on the PS360.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Ashleyfiddes 31 Jul 2013 13:26:37 980 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rhaegyr absolutely, a bit like gamecube was nintendo's best console so far
  • neilka 31 Jul 2013 13:26:46 15,848 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    10,000 sold in Europe in three months is about 100 a day or an average of two per country per day. It'd actually be feasible for a Nintendo representative to personally congratulate everyone who bought one.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Ashleyfiddes 31 Jul 2013 13:27:46 980 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Sid-Nice makes sense, if your going to sell it sell it now before they drop the price

though i still stand by my don't sell consoles bit
  • RyanDS 31 Jul 2013 13:29:02 9,218 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Do Nintendo ever panic?

Yep, the Gamepad with screen and sensors, the 2GB RAM, the modern GPU, the Miiverse online community were all awesome on the PS360.
    You mean the blatant psp remote play rip off? As usual Nintendo just copy everyone else and never innovate.
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Jul 2013 13:30:22 7,680 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Do Nintendo ever panic?

You have kinda missed the point really - which is that R&D for the wii u would be miniscule for that compared to the xbone or PS4.

The wii u is an upgrade of already existing architecture. The gamepad is all existing technology - most of the R&D for that would have went into the streaming technology.

The GPU is modern, but wee buns for AMD - it's nothing too earth shattering.

Miiverse is an online forum at the end of the day, the costs associated with that are simply development costs to integrate it at software level for the games.
  • Ashleyfiddes 31 Jul 2013 13:31:15 980 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @RyanDS yeahhhhhh um no

one thing you have to give nintendo credit is they innovate rather then replicate and the wiiu gamepad is more like the gamecube GBA connectivity then the psp
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Jul 2013 13:32:59 7,680 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Do Nintendo ever panic?

You mean the blatant psp remote play rip off? As usual Nintendo just copy everyone else and never innovate.
    No one is disputing Sony got there first, Nintendo's good idea was to integrate it with the hardware you buy, so you didn't have to spend another x amount in order to make use of what is a pretty cool feature.

I think that Nintendo may have the lower lag in their streaming tech though, DF did an article, perhaps, can't be bothered looking it up.
  • Ashleyfiddes 31 Jul 2013 13:33:16 980 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Do Nintendo ever panic?

You have kinda missed the point really - which is that R&D for the wii u would be miniscule for that compared to the xbone or PS4.

The wii u is an upgrade of already existing architecture. The gamepad is all existing technology - most of the R&D for that would have went into the streaming technology.

Miiverse is an online forum at the end of the day, the costs associated with that are simply development costs to integrate it at software level for the games.
    and research costs are written off as an expense during the period they are incurred so alot of the money has already been inter grated into their accounts years ago
  • midi82 31 Jul 2013 13:34:21 670 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Let's be honest, the dev costs for any of the new consoles are not going to be anything like the last generation. XBone and PS4 are just closed box PC's granted there's some clever stuff going on, but nothing like PS3.
  • Aretak 31 Jul 2013 13:35:10 10,350 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    No one is disputing Sony got there first
    I am. Sega got there first with the VMU. Every second screen since has been nothing more than an inferior rip-off of that concept.
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Jul 2013 13:36:50 7,680 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    No one is disputing Sony got there first
    I am. Sega got there first with the VMU. Every second screen since has been nothing more than an inferior rip-off of that concept.
    Man I loved that little thing. I was always using it to raise those little guys in sonic adventure. Plug it into your joypad, awesome.
  • Youthist 31 Jul 2013 13:36:50 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It will sell around 25 Million Units in its life IMO. They will stop production of it around 2018.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Armoured_Bear 31 Jul 2013 13:41:00 10,569 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Do Nintendo ever panic?

No, their R&D figures were very high for several years towards the end of the Wii.
    remember that although the GPU/CPU are underpowered they use a stupidly low amount of power and generate bugger all heat with full BC. I don't think it was cheap at all, never mind the gamepad and lag free streaming tech.

They didn't cheap out on R&D they just had very stupid priorities with the obsession with BC and ultra low power consumption.

As for miiverse, it's integrated into the OS, btw software development isn't cheap.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Rhaegyr 31 Jul 2013 13:44:08 1,563 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The VMU for Skies of Arcadia was tops.

I remember those things were like gold dust when I bought my DC - took me a month or so to finally find and buy one.
  • Pinky_Floyd 31 Jul 2013 13:46:14 7,680 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

No, their R&D figures were very high for several years towards the end of the Wii.
    remember that although the GPU/CPU are underpowered they use a stupidly low amount of power and generate bugger all heat with full BC. I don't think it was cheap at all, never mind the gamepad and lag free streaming tech.

They didn't cheap out on R&D they just had very stupid priorities with the obsession with BC and ultra low power consumption.

As for miiverse, it's integrated into the OS, btw software development isn't cheap.
    Ultra low power consumption = small form factor and easy cooling and cheaper manufacturing costs. It was a reasonably prudent decision.

BC is cool, otherwise most of us would have had nothing to play on the damn thing this past while ;)

It's integrated into the OS, yes, isn't the OS software? Yes, so I already said that.

Thanks for the reminder that software development isn't cheap but given that I work in software development and have done for 12 years I think I know how to suck an egg ;)
  • Page

of 1356 First / Last