• Page

of 1407 First / Last

• MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Jul 2013 15:03:15 39,736 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Super Mario 3D World Preview from EG

Summary

I've never particularly been a fan of multiplayer Mario games, but this is by far Nintendo's best effort yet. I was looking for a huge, deep Mario platformer to be announced at E3 - and while some will say that 3D Land doesn't quite match the scale of previous games, Nintendo has yet again crafted something different, a 3D Land-style hybrid that it obviously hopes will appeal to all types of Mario game fan. After E3 it was easy to write off 3D World as just another great Mario platformer, something less than the series' standouts. But after actually playing it, it's clear this will be another experience to remember.
    8/10

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Mola_Ram 5 Jul 2013 15:04:21 8,255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh come on, it's a much better Mario game than Halo ever was.
  • LeoliansBro 5 Jul 2013 15:14:08 44,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nintendo's 3D Mario games are rare and precious things, carefully crafted as showcases for the platforms they were released on.
    Or sometimes farmed across from other platforms because it's cheaper than developing a proper AAA game when there's no financial point.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Jul 2013 15:14:56 39,736 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Oh come on, it's a much better Mario game than Halo ever was.
    True, Halo is a terrible Mario game.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Armoured_Bear 5 Jul 2013 20:00:07 11,883 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Miyamoto : we're incompetent and live in a bubble

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Pinky_Floyd 5 Jul 2013 20:57:41 8,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If I could marry Super Mario Wii U and have its babies, I would.  Devious, bastard of a game.  Drowning in ingenuity.  One minute Im cursing it, usually for my own ineptitude and the next Im grinning like a loon. 

Im still not even that far into the game, if they can keep the quality up all the way through then this is definitely the best since Super Mario World.
  • Cappy 5 Jul 2013 21:38:45 12,115 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do Nintendo employees live in some sort of Geodome that ensures they have no knowledge of happenings in the outside World?

They really failed to notice development disasters throughout this generation as Japanese developers rolled snake eyes again and again? Gran Turismo 5? What does it need now five hours of patches? Metal Gear Solid 4? The only PS3 game this generation to require multiple installs. Pure fail. Team ICO have spent an entire generation producing... Nothing.
  • Ashleyfiddes 5 Jul 2013 21:45:29 980 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Cappy to be fair to them rather then release a half finished game as has become the norm, they have held back games to ensure that they reach the Nintendo desk of quality
  • Deleted user 5 July 2013 21:46:27
    Definitely suggests theres a clash of cultures between japan and the america, with europe sitting in the middle.

Doesn't help two of the big three consoles are made by japanese companies.

West want everything instantly. Japanese seem happy playing all sorts of things. Just thinking indie games next gen could be massive, may sort of chang the direction of gaming, with the west getting used to these sort of things.
  • RyanDS 5 Jul 2013 22:47:19 9,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ashleyfiddes wrote:
    @Cappy to be fair to them rather then release a half finished game as has become the norm, they have held back games to ensure that they reach the Nintendo desk of quality
    What they seem to do is cut the game in half and polish it rather than try to actually finish. See zelda etc.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Jul 2013 22:56:52 11,883 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Ashleyfiddes wrote:
    What they seem to do is cut the game in half and polish it rather than try to actually finish. See zelda etc.
    Apart from WindWaker when have they done that?

• Sid-Nice 5 Jul 2013 23:33:19 15,851 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Miyamoto talks to Gameinformer.

NNID Sid-Nice

• mikew1985 6 Jul 2013 02:05:04 13,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Eh I'm not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic or completely sincere but yea incompetent seems about right.
  • mikew1985 6 Jul 2013 02:08:49 13,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    If I could marry Super Mario Wii U and have its babies, I would.  Devious, bastard of a game.  Drowning in ingenuity.  One minute Im cursing it, usually for my own ineptitude and the next Im grinning like a loon. 

Im still not even that far into the game, if they can keep the quality up all the way through then this is definitely the best since Super Mario World.
    But for the first ever hd Mario title it had by far the worst ever at style of any Mario game and looks like total ass to my eyes. I thought perhaps I was remembering incorrectly until I watched a quick look of Luigi U today and just hatred everything about the aesthetic.

Awful by the numbers crap that good Nintendo would have thrown out at first glance. Alas we have current mediocre Nintendo.
  • Raiko101 6 Jul 2013 09:56:45 6,699 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, according to Retro City Rampage's developer, indie devs get a free Unity Licence, can self publish and thus keep all revenue. Hopefully that means yet more indie support. I'm also hoping that means we'll see Retro City Rampage on Wii U at some point. I spent 3 years waiting for that on WiiWare and then never bothered to pick it up because I was saving up for the Wii U.

Link

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Armoured_Bear 6 Jul 2013 10:00:31 11,883 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Eh I'm not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic or completely sincere but yea incompetent seems about right.
    Sincere, it's appalling to come out with an excuse like that, utterly mind-blowing.
    Further proof that Miyamoto should have zero power and responsibility and ONLY be making games/ training younger designers.

• neilka 6 Jul 2013 11:06:36 16,526 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or sitting in barrels/wearing zany cat ears.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• JinTypeNoir 6 Jul 2013 12:27:49 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    So, according to Retro City Rampage's developer, indie devs get a free Unity Licence, can self publish and thus keep all revenue. Hopefully that means yet more indie support. I'm also hoping that means we'll see Retro City Rampage on Wii U at some point. I spent 3 years waiting for that on WiiWare and then never bothered to pick it up because I was saving up for the Wii U.

Link
    I don't know why (wait I know why, just kidding) the press doesn't pick up on this as something Sony and Nintendo are doing to just about the same extent. It really shows lately. The impression from the wide variety of reporting sources on it is: Sony, Sony, Sony, good job, Sony, courting indies.

On the Japanese Nintendo E3 Direct, there weren't any indie games shown, but the American one had a segment on indies and Nintendo's commitment to them. That's pretty equal to the attention Sony gave them in their presentation (considering also that Sony's presentation was more than twice as long compared to N's). Then there have been countless articles like this lately. Indies announcing games for Wii U, kickstarter indies targetting Wii U, indies praising Wii U, Nintendo changing policies and opening up to indies on Wii U. For months now.

It's not just that. Obviously, something changed in Japan too. Because of all a sudden we're getting a whole bunch of games from other countries that we never got before and the rush of games releases is INSANE. I'm convinced its connected to Nintendo's efforts in this area.

If its securing more good games for the 3DS and Wii U, fine, but I don't see how Nintendo's wires are getting crossed. They're trying to send out a message, but it doesn't seem to be connecting.
  • Deleted user 6 July 2013 12:29:28
    I'm still waiting for bit trip runner to appear on the ps3 store. at this rate i be playing it on the wii u first when i get one.
  • Pinky_Floyd 6 Jul 2013 12:30:11 8,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @mikew1985 But its subjective, I think it looks amazing and love the art style.  Game is a demon too. 
  • Sid-Nice 8 Jul 2013 17:30:33 15,851 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A good Wii U article here

NNID Sid-Nice

• Aretak 8 Jul 2013 17:34:43 10,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "The lack of online engagement that we see on Wii U [is troubling]," says Moore. "It's so integral to what we do. They're so small it's hardly worth running the servers. It seems like a box that's out of sync with the future of EA - which is one that gives a real social feel to our games. The Wii U feels like an offline experience right now."
    If I hadn't already bought one, Peter Moore would be doing a good job selling the Wii U to me there.
  • nickthegun 8 Jul 2013 18:18:31 61,273 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The most interesting thing about that is the fact that zombii u hasn't made a profit yet.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• jambii267 8 Jul 2013 18:26:38 1,368 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    True, but who in their right mind would buy a Ubisoft Launch title?

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• Cappy 8 Jul 2013 18:32:26 12,115 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Switching direction during development can hardly do much for keeping costs down, didn't Zombi U start off as a B-Movie Sci-Fi game?

Bad project management plus flop console user base = Negative returns.

The worst habit the games industry acquired from Hollywood is a culture of wasteful excess spending on projects, all bet against getting it all back with a healthy profit on top after release.

I can't believe that Tomb Raider cost $100 Million, didn't Square Enix hear that Naughty Dog turned out Uncharted 2 on a $20 Million budget? When the bill started going North of $40 Million they should have been getting worried and asking what was going wrong.
  • nickthegun 8 Jul 2013 18:36:14 61,273 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jambii267 wrote:
    True, but who in their right mind would buy a Ubisoft Launch title?
    More or less every other person who bought the wii u?

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Aretak 8 Jul 2013 18:48:43 10,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd guess Nintendo have it locked down as some sort of exclusive, else they'd probably have already announced ZombiX and ZombiP.
  • malloc 8 Jul 2013 19:31:10 2,389 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They seem to have done it the wrong way around, coming up with the system and then trying to figure out a good game for it. Atleast with the Wii they started it correctly. Whilst they predictably lost all momentum too soon they did start right. They might get there with the Wii U but with the length of time and cost of development they will almost certainly end up missing the boat.

This next gen is looking crap.

Edited by malloc at 19:32:25 08-07-2013
  • Pinky_Floyd 8 Jul 2013 22:46:18 8,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    "The lack of online engagement that we see on Wii U [is troubling]," says Moore. "It's so integral to what we do. They're so small it's hardly worth running the servers. It seems like a box that's out of sync with the future of EA - which is one that gives a real social feel to our games. The Wii U feels like an offline experience right now."
    If I hadn't already bought one, Peter Moore would be doing a good job selling the Wii U to me there.
    LOL!

Im laughing because I know exactly what you mean :)
  • Page

of 1407 First / Last