• Deleted user 5 April 2013 18:45:50
    Aliens: Colonial Marines Wii U Version Canceled
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Apr 2013 18:47:20 10,234 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear I'm sorry you see it that way but it's a distinct possibility that if sales continue to be as poor or drop even further that they will stop supporting the console. Billions or not.
    Yes but not this year, not a chance.
    I genuinely don't know. I think they have up until maybe 1 month before the release of the first next gen console to make some momentum, otherwise they are truly dead in the water. So that could be as quick as October.
    Why are they dead in the water?
    Is there some new rule where people are only allowed to buy one console next generation or something?
    We don't even know release dates, prices, launch lineups or anything about the other 2 consoles yet as soon as they are released no-one will consider buying a Wii U no matter how good value it is, how good the games are.
    Ridiculous IMO.

If they get good games out, improve the OS and drop the price it'll sell loads more, how successful it'll be I've no idea, probably more Gamecube than Wii but the idea that they will drop it less than one year after release, before it's competitors are released just because of a slow start is utter bollocks.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Aretak 5 Apr 2013 18:49:38 10,345 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    Aliens: Colonial Marines Wii U Version Canceled
    Not all bad news for the Wii U then.
  • RyanDS 5 Apr 2013 18:52:23 9,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Everyone I know who bought a Wii U (both of us) did so as a console to tide us over to the release of the proper next gen consoles.

The fact that in that year there will be maybe 2 games (post launch), if that released for the console is amazing. I genuinely thought Nintendo would push this year to try to get an install base in and wow us so that when the big boys turned up they would have some momentum, but the way they are going by the time they actually release anything I will not be buying as there will be much bigger and exciting stuff on the next gen consoles.

I just don't get it. I am genuinely bemused at what Nintendo are even trying to do here.
  • Progguitarist 5 Apr 2013 18:54:06 10,399 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No one is saying UNDER A YEAR ffs.

It's entirely possible that it will be abandoned after 2/3 years. The writing is on the wall. 3rd parties have all but jumped ship.

No Dead Space 3, MGR, DMC, Tomb Raider, Bioshock, Crysis. Even downloadable titles aren't making the jump to Wii U. It's very, very grim.

How can you not see that?
  • RyanDS 5 Apr 2013 18:55:31 9,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:

It's entirely possible that it will be abandoned after 2/3 years. The writing is on the wall. 3rd parties have all but jumped ship.

No Dead Space 3, MGR, DMC, Tomb Raider, Bioshock, Crysis. Even downloadable titles aren't making the jump to Wii U. It's very, very grim.

To be fair I did. What I meant was there is under a year to save it, after that it will be on life support and die. I think they have under a year to try to fix the basics to give them long term chance but I wasn't clear.
  • Progguitarist 5 Apr 2013 18:59:19 10,399 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RyanDS Sorry man, I was aiming that at Ecosse.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Apr 2013 19:02:02 10,234 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear I'm sorry you see it that way but it's a distinct possibility that if sales continue to be as poor or drop even further that they will stop supporting the console. Billions or not.
    I genuinely don't know. I think they have up until maybe 1 month before the release of the first next gen console to make some momentum, otherwise they are truly dead in the water. So that could be as quick as October.

• addyb 5 Apr 2013 19:03:41 1,019 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Everyone I know who bought a Wii U (both of us) did so as a console to tide us over to the release of the proper next gen consoles.

The fact that in that year there will be maybe 2 games (post launch), if that released for the console is amazing. I genuinely thought Nintendo would push this year to try to get an install base in and wow us so that when the big boys turned up they would have some momentum, but the way they are going by the time they actually release anything I will not be buying as there will be much bigger and exciting stuff on the next gen consoles.

I just don't get it. I am genuinely bemused at what Nintendo are even trying to do here.
    I bought one simply to live side by side another console and my gaming PC. So at the moment its PC/PS3/Wii U and will get the PS4 to replace the ps3. I do so for the exclusives. As much as people may be sick of the same old I absolutely love my mariokart. Its possibly my favourite series of games across all the consoles I've owned over the years.
  • Progguitarist 5 Apr 2013 19:04:36 10,399 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear You are twisting your eyes to see what you want. He didn't outright say it'll be discontinued within a year.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Apr 2013 19:04:57 10,234 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:

I'm not contesting for a second that it's grim, terrible start, 3rd party support is shit etc.
    What I am contesting is that a console's fate is sealed after 4 months from release.
    It may improve drastically, it may not but it is far from decided, that's definite.

• Progguitarist 5 Apr 2013 19:05:51 10,399 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear What then, is going to drive sales?
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Apr 2013 19:06:40 10,234 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Progguitarist
    RyanDS wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    What am I twisting?

• Progguitarist 5 Apr 2013 19:07:55 10,399 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Where does he say "THEY WILL ABANDON IT WITHIN ONE YEAR" in the above statement?
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Apr 2013 19:10:23 10,234 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear What then, is going to drive sales?
    Games, simple as that.
    The SMG team as well as Retro Studio are capable of something pretty special, Mario Kart could be a massive seller, as could Wii Fit U with appropriate tard marketing.
    It's future is very far from certain.

If Post Mario Kart/Mario 3D/Zelda/Wii Fit etc. there is no improvement then it's dead but I'll be shocked if that's the case.

• darrenb 5 Apr 2013 19:12:20 676 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Same here, I have always bought the Nintendo games for the exclusives. The wiiu is the first Nintendo console I have actually bought multiplatform titles on. Skylanders, sonic racing, black ops and batman.

I have 23 games for the Wii. None are multi platform and I don't for one minute regret buying that either.

Bring on pikmin, mariokart, Kirby, smash brothers, a donkey Kong game, f zero, Zelda, excite whatever, Mario RPG during its lifetime, anything in between are just fillers.. Another pilot wings and starfox will also be good :-)
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Apr 2013 19:12:41 10,234 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Where does he say "THEY WILL ABANDON IT WITHIN ONE YEAR" in the above statement?
    RyanDS wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    No one is saying UNDER A YEAR ffs. ?
    To be fair I did.

• Deleted user 5 April 2013 19:13:31
    What I meant was there is under a year to save it, after that it will be on life support and die. I think they have under a year to try to fix the basics to give them long term chance but I wasn't clear.
    CONTEXT

IT'S WHAT'S FOR DINNER
  • Progguitarist 5 Apr 2013 19:14:18 10,399 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, your arguement is with him then. :D
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Apr 2013 19:15:23 10,234 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Well, your arguement is with him then. :D
    Is that backfiring noises I hear? :p

• RobTheBuilder 5 Apr 2013 19:19:16 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would be surprised if PS4 or Nextbox launch at more than 350.

Anything over that will help Nintendo. A price cut to 149-179 along with a major first party title could spark a big shift.
  • DFawkes 5 Apr 2013 19:20:10 22,581 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think for gaming in general, November and December are big for releases, building up marketing momentum and selling for Christmas. I still think that'll be the vital season for establishing the future for the Wii U.

If this holiday season doesn't bring games, advertising and console sales, I still can't see them abandoning it, but I could see more of their development teams tasked on 3DS software with only a few token releases. Pokemon and portable consoles are still a money printing licence after all ;)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• mal 5 Apr 2013 19:20:50 22,328 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FWIW, I can't remember any historical context to equate to Nintendo getting out of console hardware this gen or even next. Sega bailed after a couple gens of treading water then the Dreamcast failing to set the world alight. Atari went tits up again after a couple of failed consoles.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• darrenb 5 Apr 2013 19:22:53 676 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If 350 is the price point for the new machines id be expecting 59.99 games and expensive subscriptions to go with it...
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Apr 2013 19:23:49 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mal Atari went tits up because they had no first or second party series games worth any care at all. They could have launched the cheapest and most powerful console ever and there would have been nothing good from them to play on it.
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Apr 2013 19:25:01 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @darrenb *shudder*

At least if Xbox is always online and has used games blocking ill only need to pay for ps4 subs!
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Apr 2013 19:26:38 10,234 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

Anything over that will help Nintendo. A price cut to 149-179 along with a major first party title could spark a big shift.
    Indeed.

• mal 5 Apr 2013 19:28:32 22,328 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @mal Atari went tits up because they had no first or second party series games worth any care at all. They could have launched the cheapest and most powerful console ever and there would have been nothing good from them to play on it.
    True enough. If you start looking at the details, it even starts to look better in Nintendo's case. Neither Atari or Sega had a successful handheld line supporting the company, and like you say, Atari had let the IPs stagnate. I didn't think it necessary to start complicating the argument with those details though.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ElNino9 5 Apr 2013 19:31:02 13,285 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

Even that's pushing it.

They'd be able to pick up a PS3/360 for cheaper, with better looking games.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• nickthegun 5 Apr 2013 19:35:11 58,782 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im not entirely convinced that it will get by on being the 'second console' this time around, even if they were to drop the price that low, which is unlikely.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Page

of 1343 First / Last