Wii U Page 575

• Page

of 1370 First / Last

• Sid-Nice 28 Mar 2013 00:03:26 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    @Sid-Nice

Really? Are you suggesting Nintendo are planning to put 3 Galaxy sequels out within the space of 12 months?
    No I based my calculations on the time it took you to purchase a PS3.

NNID Sid-Nice

• malloc 28 Mar 2013 11:47:39 2,358 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Why is shooting bad baldy men considered done to death, but jumping on tortoises with one direction in mind, not?
    Because there are x shooting games and y jumping on tortoise games. Where x>y
  • kalel 28 Mar 2013 11:54:26 88,454 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think anyone in their right mind could possibly argue that the various old-style 2D Mario games that are still being released are not seriously wringing every last drop of milk out that particular teat.
  • DFawkes 28 Mar 2013 11:56:38 23,359 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As much as I still love 2D Mario, they're pretty much mission packs now.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Kay 28 Mar 2013 12:01:57 17,925 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've only ever played the original NSMB, and never really felt inclined to play the sequels, even when I've had the consoles. They're still fun games, but far from the AAA genre-defining system sellers that the 3D Marios are.
  • nickthegun 28 Mar 2013 12:10:44 60,506 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You say that but nsmb sold twice as many copies as galaxy.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Kay 28 Mar 2013 12:14:18 17,925 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, it's obvious why they're still making them. I guess the money funds the more creative Mario games.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 12:18:19
    That roundabout is still spinning in here then?
  • kalel 28 Mar 2013 12:18:43 88,454 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a quick and cheap win too. These games probably get developed by the tea boy.
  • DFawkes 28 Mar 2013 12:24:13 23,359 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair, they're still fairly solid, well designed and enjoyable games. Just very little original about them, and that art style isn't very nice compared to pretty much any of the SNES Mario games.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• kalel 28 Mar 2013 12:28:04 88,454 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's not really the point. "Generic FPS with bald men" is also likely to be a solid, well-designed and enjoyable game.
  • Tekkirai 28 Mar 2013 12:30:21 104 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nintendo at GDC for a Miiverse talk. How are they ever going to make people care about this console? I hope I can look back at this comment in one or two years and laugh it away as just a rocky start, but I somehow doubt it.
  • DFawkes 28 Mar 2013 12:34:49 23,359 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was a bit of a moot point anyway - much like their strange choice to do a video of an upcoming update, there wasn't enough to justify a Miiverse specific conference. We already knew it was coming to PC, smartphones and 3DS, the only new information was the rough time frame. That should've just been a press release. Heck, a tweet would've done it!

For those that missed it, May-ish. That's not even for 3DS, it's still just "sometime". That's it. Glad I didn't rent a conference room for that.

Edited by DFawkes at 12:36:54 28-03-2013

• Bremenacht 28 Mar 2013 13:13:37 18,761 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tekkirai wrote:
    Nintendo at GDC for a Miiverse talk. How are they ever going to make people care about this console? I hope I can look back at this comment in one or two years and laugh it away as just a rocky start, but I somehow doubt it.
    LOL!

Nintendo organise piss-up in brewery:

• malloc 28 Mar 2013 13:20:17 2,358 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @kalel I think that's a little cruel, but I see your point. From Nintendo's point of core there's clearly a market for those games.
  • Cappy 28 Mar 2013 13:39:09 12,030 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder if Nintendo would be doing any better if they just opted for a souped up Wii remote as the standard Wii U controller, with the cost of the pad shaved off they could have bumped the console hardware and launched at a lower price point.

Had decision makers come to the conclusion that the Wii Remote was a dead end? Did they decide that the compromises required for Skyward Sword were too limiting and the controller wasn't a good fit for a broader range of software?

They must have had some valid reason to retreat back to a gamepad which made perfect sense to somebody at the time, the flaw in the plan is that they've probably made the most expensive gamepad in the history of the World. So you have a controller which would fit with a luxury market ethos, married to a value brand, bargain basement console.

Nintendo must have a pretty autocratic management structure because it's hard to believe nobody had misgivings.
  • Bremenacht 28 Mar 2013 13:48:42 18,761 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like to imagine two chiefs at Nintendo, with sadly mismatched visions for the future:

Chief1: Don't worry about the hardware; the software will sell the console.
    Chief2: Don't worry about the software; the hardware will sell the console.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2013 13:48:52
    Good question. Fuck knows. Love to be a fly on the wall. The wii remote was much maligned. Everyone hated it for some reason even though i quite like them, they sat comfortably in the hand, and even without the waggle shit as a normal controller it was a very good alternative.

The way we play games have been nintendos way of thinking since way back when the wii was announced in 2004. I guess the gamepad is a more rounded expereince potentially than a wii remote. They probably thought! DS! IPAD! Super seller, bring it to a home console, and $$$. Also they have a fuck ton of developers who are used to making games for two screens.

I guess the wii remotes are still there but i doubt if developers are going to flock to using them.

Gamepad seems suited to strategy, RTS, point and click, RPGS etc. Do it nintendo! I expect a proffesor layton game to be annoucned at e3.

Edited by joelstinton at 13:49:38 28-03-2013
  • DFawkes 28 Mar 2013 13:52:58 23,359 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For me, the Gamepad was the real system seller (I should emphasise I really do mean just for me, I'm not saying it's a system seller for anyone else), as being independent of the TV is a major plus. I wouldn't even have considered a Wii U without that option. But that's be just one lost sale, I've no idea why other people bought their Wii Us.

• Raiko101 28 Mar 2013 15:25:49 6,437 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Gamepad was the selling point for me too. I would have got one eventually, just for the number of exclusives it would have, but without the Gamepad it wouldn't be as interesting.

For sure, without it they could have made the console a bit more powerful, but they wont throw away money like the other two will, so it would still be underpowered somewhat, or too expensive. And if you bought one of the other consoles first, the only selling point would be those exclusive games, if you were even interested.

I know I would be, but my gaming tastes don't really compare to my friends these days.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• kalel 28 Mar 2013 15:34:51 88,454 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The gamepad is the only USP, so it makes sense that's the reason why people are getting it ,
  • nickthegun 28 Mar 2013 15:35:33 60,506 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, you wouldnt buy it for the games, would you?

• Rodpad 28 Mar 2013 15:36:39 1,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Zing
  • ronuds 28 Mar 2013 15:37:49 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Well, you wouldnt buy it for the game, would you?
    Fixed.
  • Raiko101 28 Mar 2013 15:55:56 6,437 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got myself a healthy collection of games for it at the moment, so i'm happy.

• nickthegun 28 Mar 2013 16:07:02 60,506 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So you keep saying. Only another 79,999,999 other satisfied customers to go and they can call it a day.

• DFawkes 28 Mar 2013 16:12:16 23,359 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I also have a good few. A backlog, even, though admittedly a small one. I have to admit that wouldn't be the case if I had other HD consoles, most of my time is used on multiplatform stuff.

• Raiko101 28 Mar 2013 16:55:15 6,437 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @nickthegun And you've said yourself, countless times, that there's nothing that interests you. It all comes down to taste. We all know there's not a lot to choose from at the minute, but as long as you're not putting all your eggs in one basket, you should be ok.

• Rodpad 28 Mar 2013 17:37:12 1,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Point analysis Nick?
  • Tekkirai 28 Mar 2013 17:59:45 104 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Cappy That's actually quite a fair point. They could have impressed with the graphics and enticed 3rd parties that way. If they insisted on needing to be different, they really should evolved the Wii remote. Add comfort, precision, tracking etc. And better yet, they could have just included an evolution of the Gamepad Pro or GC controller (preferably the latter) in the box with every console and it STILL would have been cheaper than adding this touch screen thing.

Not to mention, they also should have aligned their handheld strategy to the console. Essentially, just as Sony has showed, you CAN stream directly to a handheld at a very good speed and let's be honest, the Wii U gamepad's greatest strength is the off-screen play. Create an interface for the home console on the touchscreen of the handheld using the handheld's power instead of the console's and you'd have a brilliant one-two there imo.

But the thing is, even with that, it would have still been too late. The Wii was done after about 3 years, but because they insist on keeping a 6 year-ish cycle for their consoles for the sake of tradition it completely lost steam. But I do believe they could have made a much bigger ruckus and consolidated their userbase better regardless, because now they just lost everything they could possibly lose.
  • Page

of 1370 First / Last