Wii U Page 535

• Page

of 1411 First / Last

• ronuds 8 Mar 2013 14:55:41 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lego City's this month? Can't wait to get my hands on that!
  • CharlieStCloud 8 Mar 2013 14:56:34 5,530 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    ... do you seriously think that the Wii U should be able to replicate 7 year old hardware straight out the gate?
    ... can I have what you are smoking please?

Obvious answer is obvious!

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 16:45:01 08-03-2013
  • javvyman 8 Mar 2013 14:57:00 718 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It can only be judged on its games, at the moment it's just about on par, it's upto developers to make use of the extra RAM, better GPU etc.
    Case in point, the Wii was supposedly more powerful than all last gen consoles, yet it never quite matched the beauty of the GCs best.
  • nickthegun 8 Mar 2013 14:57:32 61,318 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    "fanboys" who have personal feelings about console manufacturers
    I dont think you have ever admitted that before. It must be quite liberating.

Like shoving your dick in a RAM expansion slot.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• nickthegun 8 Mar 2013 14:59:20 61,318 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    Case in point, the Wii was supposedly more powerful than all last gen consoles, yet it never quite matched the beauty of the GCs best.
    Even if that were true, which it isnt, is that not a worrying precedent?

• javvyman 8 Mar 2013 15:03:32 718 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @nickthegun

Predictably missing the point as usual.

The 360 and PS3 have had 7 years to build their communities, online infrastructure, OS and game library.
    If you think the Wii U should match what these systems have done so well to achieve out the gate, then you're bat-shit crazy.
  • spamdangled 8 Mar 2013 15:03:55 27,464 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    javvyman wrote:
    Even if that were true, which it isnt, is that not a worrying precedent?
    The "more powerful" statement is certainly debatable (it was much more powerful than the GC, which was certainly more powerful than the PS2 though), but given the lack of strong core support, devs weren't exactly trying to push the capabilities of the machine because it was easier to chuck shovelware out of the gate.

It's actually very rare that the highest-spec machine "wins" a console generation. It's just not that simple - as demonstrated by the PS2, Wii and PS1

Edited by darkmorgado at 15:06:03 08-03-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• nickthegun 8 Mar 2013 15:06:47 61,318 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    @nickthegun

The 360 and PS3 have had 7 years to build their communities, online infrastructure, OS and game library.
    If you think the Wii U should match what these systems have done so well to achieve out the gate, then you're bat-shit crazy.
    If you think a console should be launched without at the very least being able to emulate the functionality of two seven year old consoles, functionality that is now considered absolutely standard, you are cat-shit crazy, three levels above bat.

• RyanDS 8 Mar 2013 15:07:09 9,849 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    @nickthegun

Um... yes, it should. If I buy a PC that to replace my 7 year old PC I would be absolutely flabbergasted if it performed worse than the old one.

We aren't talking a couple of years here, we are talking the better part of a fucking decade.
  • neilka 8 Mar 2013 15:08:35 16,531 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Out of curiosity javvyman, what shape would you describe your head as?

Edited by neilka at 15:08:47 08-03-2013

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• nickthegun 8 Mar 2013 15:12:52 61,318 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Java Bean

• javvyman 8 Mar 2013 15:13:31 718 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @nickthegun

Worrying in the sense that I believe most developers will continue to look down on the Wii U the same way they did with the Wii and not commit time and big budgets to its games.

The Wii was incredibly well supported by all the big hitters with games, but no real investment unfortunately, first party aside of course. My fear for the Wii U isn't that it will pick up in sales, but rather that, once developers have moved on to the PS4, 720, they'll just churn out rubbish for the Wii U like they did for the Wii.
  • macmurphy 8 Mar 2013 15:13:54 999 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @javvyman

Have to jump in here. Who buys a new generation console hoping it can eventually surpass the old ones? You buy a new console so you can be amazed by shiny graphics, new control systems, great new games that are a generational leap. Who bought a PS3 and thought 'wow, can't wait till this does what my PS2 did'

I don't have a problem with Nintendo not going for graphical power, that's fine. But whenever their OS and online infrastructure is poorer than a seven year old console it's pretty inexcusable. And no it shouldn't take time to come together, they should be able to at least make a passable approximation of what their competitors have. It's bollocks saying these things take time, maybe they do but Nintendo should have taken the time during R and D - as I said they didn't even have to create something revolutionary just a half decent copy of what's already out.
  • nickthegun 8 Mar 2013 15:17:11 61,318 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    My fear for the Wii U isn't that it will pick up in sales, but rather that, once developers have moved on to the PS4, 720, they'll just churn out rubbish for the Wii U like they did for the Wii.
    To be honest, if the recent trend is anything to go by, once they start devoting resources to the next gen consoles, the wii u will be lucky to even get 'rubbish'.

• ronuds 8 Mar 2013 15:19:33 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wii U owners better buy Lego City like it's going out of style.
  • javvyman 8 Mar 2013 15:20:26 718 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing is, aside from the slow load times, the OS is brilliant IMO.
    I agree that ports should at least run on par with current gen consoles, which is the reason I've not bought into any ports just yet.
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Mar 2013 15:22:12 11,902 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    javvyman wrote:
    My fear for the Wii U isn't that it will pick up in sales, but rather that, once developers have moved on to the PS4, 720, they'll just churn out rubbish for the Wii U like they did for the Wii.
    To be honest, if the recent trend is anything to go by, once they start devoting resources to the next gen consoles, the wii u will be lucky to even get 'rubbish'.
    That applies to 3rd party ports which no-one gives a shit aboutt. The interest for Wii-U is Nintendo 1st party games and other exclusives .

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• LeoliansBro 8 Mar 2013 15:22:57 44,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    @nickthegun

Of course, the 360 and PS3 have had 7 years of static hardware as well. And given all the processing and graphical advances there have been in those years, it is a bit odd that Nintendo went 'Advances? Fuck that noise, let's make a crappy 360 and sell it for more dollar'.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 8 Mar 2013 15:23:13 61,318 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And thats fine, I guess, if you are happy with it. It just strikes me that the most vociferous advocates seem to be the ones with lowest expectations, so its no real surprise that literally everyone else thinks the products they are releasing just arent good enough.

Whether you expectations are naturally low or have been artificially managed my years of disappointing consoles is another question entirely.

• LeoliansBro 8 Mar 2013 15:23:34 44,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    That applies to 3rd party ports which no-one gives a shit aboutt. The interest for Wii-U is Nintendo 1st party games and other exclusives .
    Of which there is one. A side scrolling platformer.

Well worth 450.

• javvyman 8 Mar 2013 15:25:54 718 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

Already been there with the Wii, don't want to spend my time on the Wii U playing just Nintendo games again, as good as they may be.
    Once sales pick up, I just want a developer to commit a proper budget, development time to the game. The only developer I've seen do that so far on the Wii U is those who made LCD undercover.
  • javvyman 8 Mar 2013 15:27:41 718 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Stealth I have no money so buy everything on credit post.
  • LeoliansBro 8 Mar 2013 15:28:57 44,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    @LeoliansBro Stealth I have no money so buy everything on credit post.
    Eh?

I mean it's true, but ... eh?

• Lt_Drebin 8 Mar 2013 15:29:36 209 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Have to say, I'm a big fan of Nintendo's approach to online. It feels like a massive gaming forum with some minor social networking features thrown in. The OS needs to speed up though.
  • javvyman 8 Mar 2013 15:30:28 718 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Sorry, just 450 price you posted... Don't mean anything by it.
  • nickthegun 8 Mar 2013 15:33:11 61,318 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Well worth 450.
    Again, this is another amazingly low expectation. How the hell did 'we dont care about the lack of third party, we only buy it for nintendo games' become acceptable? Its just amazing.

• JuanKerr 8 Mar 2013 15:36:21 36,445 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A good, reasonable post.
  • nickthegun 8 Mar 2013 15:37:16 61,318 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used 'amazing' twice. My editor just punched me in the tits.

• javvyman 8 Mar 2013 15:41:16 718 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @nickthegun I'm happy in a sense, but my expectations if anything are high, they were the for the Wii, and I had some great times with that playing for the first time with family, best local multiplayer ever, it also had some excellent SP games.
    The problem is, I resent the fact that publishers used the Wii as a dumping ground, only shipping games to take advantage of the install base.

I knew exactly what I was getting with Wii U, its great. The problems though have come along post launch. Rayman, Pikmin, Wonderfull 101, LC undercover. I was expecting to have played them all by now, but they've all been delayed and there's just nothing past them that's been shown.

I've had some good times on it, but right now, it feels like the system is in state of hibernation IMO.
    Just a matter of when, it comes alive.
  • Waffleaber 8 Mar 2013 15:41:54 460 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Well worth 450.
    Again, this is another amazingly low expectation. How the hell did 'we dont care about the lack of third party, we only buy it for nintendo games' become acceptable? Its just amazing.
    The N64. 3rd party support for any Nintendo machine since has been fairly bobbins. You buy a Nintendo console you know what you're getting, only the most deluded would believe EA/Activision would make the Wii U their lead development platform or anything similar based on past experience.
  • Page

of 1411 First / Last