someone say something funny

• alexc7496 5 Mar 2013 12:53:14 1,777 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Gambit1977 5 Mar 2013 12:54:00 9,583 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nope, not motorstorm, it was a PSN download.
    And dammit, Playstation.com is so uninformative!!
  • Gambit1977 5 Mar 2013 12:54:50 9,583 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's GRIPSHIFT!!!
    http://www.gripshiftgame.com/
  • nickthegun 5 Mar 2013 12:56:14 59,535 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If its not PixelJunk Racing, I give up.

---------------------------------------------------------

• nickthegun 5 Mar 2013 12:57:51 59,535 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah yeah. Was quite good that, had it on the PSP.

---------------------------------------------------------

• CharlieStCloud 5 Mar 2013 12:58:07 5,202 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    It's GRIPSHIFT!!!
    http://www.gripshiftgame.com/

Hey, you guys ... we found it. We found it!
  • Gambit1977 5 Mar 2013 12:58:56 9,583 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :lol: that took some finding! Yeah, it was quite fun, was good for breaks between Motorstorm, Resistance and that rpg thing...hehe
  • JinTypeNoir 5 Mar 2013 13:11:26 4,383 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    alexc7496 wrote:
    One thing that Microsoft have a clear advantage over Nintendo is from the marketing point of view. You couldn't have a shit without seeing someone offering the 360, add that to the limited stock and Microsoft were on to a winner!!
    And they need to learn to jettison that quickly if they ever want to get anywhere over here this time around. (And don't tell me they shouldn't bother to release the Xbox 360 followup over her. If they had been the one to sell 10 million or so consoles like Sony and Nintendo had, Microsoft would have been thrilled at the extra income the software licensing provided. Especially when they finally learn that you don't hae to spend very much on marketing to make huge hits here.) Having marketing that follows you every where almost never works in Japan. I think you could say we equate it with desperation or a shameful amount of hubris. The 360 and Xbox had a ludicrous amount of carpet bomb-like advertising over here. The Wii, PSP, PS3, DS, 3DS and every other system kept it balanced.

You know what other system bombed that tried this? The Vita. I remember walking around in train stations and getting quite annoyed because you would walk through entire vast hallways with NOTHING but Vita ads on the walls, monitors, on the floor, on the stairs, on the ceiling. It really fucking pissed me off and made me NOT want the system. Going into any electronics store at that time was hell on earth because if even if you were buying a washing machine, it was like VITA! VITA! VITA!

One of my favorite examples of this was last year when a hugely popular GREE game called Doriland went all out in advertising and basically got mauled with a chainsaw in sales soon after the government ruled against practices used in such games. After all that work they got thwacked by much smaller games that hit big like Nameko Multiplication, Puzzle & Dragons, Samurai & Dragons and Dragon Collection.

The only time I can ever remember it working was when this baseball movie called Rookies came out years ago. And that wasn't really everywhere, so much as it was so different a marketing push then anyone had ever seen before and it just felt like it was everywhere for some reason.
  • kalel 5 Mar 2013 13:15:16 87,179 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There is very little to be learnt from what happened to the Vita in terms of the next generation of home consoles. It's a different market with different expectations, and different competition. Vita was basically killed off by the iphone and ipad, but these won't really affect the next gen home consoles so much.
  • Stickman 5 Mar 2013 13:22:27 29,666 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Saturation advertising doesn't really work in Japanese culture, so Microsoft should try a different strategy if they want their new console to succeed.

There, see how easy that was?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• beastmaster 5 Mar 2013 13:22:48 11,338 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In terms of publicity. I was waslking past Game in the Trafford Centre last night. It had a rather large placard with

"Playstation PHWWOOAARR!"

Didn't see anything like that for the Wii U.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• JinTypeNoir 5 Mar 2013 13:40:56 4,383 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    There is very little to be learnt from what happened to the Vita in terms of the next generation of home consoles. It's a different market with different expectations, and different competition. Vita was basically killed off by the iphone and ipad, but these won't really affect the next gen home consoles so much.
    I disagree. There are five things to learn.

1) Power alone won't sell anything.

2) There is a limit to how much you can push scalping customers, so they had better watch out if they are going to continue down the path of increasing game prices, the DLC, online passes and so on. (The 3G model, the ridiculous sales model of some of the games and the awful requirement of the proprietary memory cards.)

3) "Me too" features don't help much, if the originators of them are still going strong. (Though Sony really should have learned this with PlayStation Move beforehand.)

4) Great enthusiasm from hardcore gamers (one thing the 360 used consistently to get where it is) to build word of mouth can only get you so far.

5) Consistency in compelling releases is crucial.
  • kalel 5 Mar 2013 13:46:58 87,179 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Those are all much more compelling reasons why the Vita has failed, not that the marketing was somehow ever-saturating.

The main job of marketing is to create awareness, not desire. I think Sony actually did a pretty good job with marketing the Vita, but it failed for other reason. It was all about the price point and what else was available in the same bracket really.
  • Sid-Nice 5 Mar 2013 13:53:53 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry wrong thread.

NNID Sid-Nice

• JinTypeNoir 5 Mar 2013 14:14:20 4,383 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They may have done so elsewhere then, because compared to the PSP's brilliant marketing, their Japanese marketing team must be taking mushrooms or something, because its bizarre, unappealing and annoying.
  • DFawkes 6 Mar 2013 09:33:00 22,831 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So I got my Wii U last night, and wish to share a few initial thoughts.

The Gamepad is significantly more light and comfortable than I thought it would be. It feels nice and solid, and the screen is nice and clear. It also feels reassuringly sturdy, though I won't really test that much. Certainly happy enough with it, and it's quite pleasant browsing the Miiverse on the couch as someone else watches TV.

Can't really comment on most of the games as by the time it was delivered, I only had a short while to play. I tried out the YouTube app, which is a bit garbage, and Wii U Street, which is a bit of a novelty but I can't complain at that price. Most of my time was spent of Nintendoland.

I really love the way it looks, and seeing my Wii in HD was more impressive than I thought it'd be, though mostly because I've only ever seen him on a tiny 3DS screen. The same goes for the main park area - seeing something with Nintendo stylings in HD is really cool.

As for the mini-games themselves, I started off with the ninja star one. It was okay, but I suck at it! I was really impressed with the pointer technology in the Gamepad that knew where I was aiming with minimal calibration. I've not used Wiimotion Plus so I assume it's similar to that, but I hadn't seen it before.

Then I went to Metroid Blast. It's awesome seeing your Mii suit up in Samus Aran style armour :) But I also suck it at this too. I didn't lose or anything, I just kept forgetting to aim properly with the pad. Seems fun enough though. I also tried that Donkey Kong rolling around game, which I can see getting very addictive but also being the cause for casting the Gamepad across the room.

That's all for now. I should have a better go tonight. I'm happy enough so far, but time will tell if that changes :)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Lt_Drebin 6 Mar 2013 09:41:33 146 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DFawkes that is pretty much my experience with the machine so far. Nintendoland is rock-hard (I'm almost certain that I'm not just rubbish at it). There's really something brilliant about Nintendo art in HD and I think that's how they'll get around the lack of power compared to Sony and Microsoft' s new machines.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Mar 2013 09:42:23 10,622 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    So I got my Wii U last night, and wish to share a few initial thoughts.

The Gamepad is significantly more light and comfortable than I thought it would be. It feels nice and solid, and the screen is nice and clear. It also feels reassuringly sturdy, though I won't really test that much. Certainly happy enough with it, and it's quite pleasant browsing the Miiverse on the couch as someone else watches TV.

Can't really comment on most of the games as by the time it was delivered, I only had a short while to play. I tried out the YouTube app, which is a bit garbage, and Wii U Street, which is a bit of a novelty but I can't complain at that price. Most of my time was spent of Nintendoland.

I really love the way it looks, and seeing my Wii in HD was more impressive than I thought it'd be, though mostly because I've only ever seen him on a tiny 3DS screen. The same goes for the main park area - seeing something with Nintendo stylings in HD is really cool.

As for the mini-games themselves, I started off with the ninja star one. It was okay, but I suck at it! I was really impressed with the pointer technology in the Gamepad that knew where I was aiming with minimal calibration. I've not used Wiimotion Plus so I assume it's similar to that, but I hadn't seen it before.

Then I went to Metroid Blast. It's awesome seeing your Mii suit up in Samus Aran style armour :) But I also suck it at this too. I didn't lose or anything, I just kept forgetting to aim properly with the pad. Seems fun enough though. I also tried that Donkey Kong rolling around game, which I can see getting very addictive but also being the cause for casting the Gamepad across the room.

That's all for now. I should have a better go tonight. I'm happy enough so far, but time will tell if that changes :)
    The Zelda game is great and gorgeous, give that a go..

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 6 March 2013 10:12:15
    Welcome to the fold Mr. Fawkes! I hope you like your new console. There's nothing quite like opening up new hardware. I'm hoping I get to do it again by the end of the year.

There has been much made over the lack of power but I think this generation leap may see a plateauing in game design linked to grunt. It started in the last transition for me. There's no way that Gears couldn't have run on the old xbox in some form.

Nintendoland is evidence that the pallette is broad enough now for Nintendo to turn heads. I'm currently playing through Galaxy 2 and that's beautiful, I'm giddy with excitement at what Nintendo have in store this gen.

I think Nintendo's attempt at changing how games are played is going to be far more important than a leap in power. I think they just see the tide turning, I just wish they knew how to communicate it.

It's weird, Microsoft communicated the Kinect to millions of people yet didn't know how to utilise the tech yet I feel the exact opposite with Nintendo. They already have machinations on the WiiU's applications yet have so far been terrible at telling anyone about it.

If I wasn't a regular gamesite lurker I'm sure I wouldn't have a clue what WiiU was either.
  • treegreen 6 Mar 2013 11:55:37 103 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mastering Zelda is a bitch :p
  • Raiko101 6 Mar 2013 13:30:19 6,223 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DFawkes Even if you have nobody else to play Nintendo Land with, buy yourself a motion plus Wii remote. Zelda and Metroid are worth playing through twice with each controller option.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• DFawkes 6 Mar 2013 14:41:16 22,831 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the advice, I shall see about picking one up for my birthday. Probably with Red Steel 2 as it works out cheaper than buying one on it's own, bizarrely. Plus it'd be nice to have the option of multiplayer Metroid Blast :)

• Armoured_Bear 6 Mar 2013 14:49:57 10,622 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, I shall see about picking one up for my birthday. Probably with Red Steel 2 as it works out cheaper than buying one on it's own, bizarrely. Plus it'd be nice to have the option of multiplayer Metroid Blast :)
    Red Steel 2 is good anyway..

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Psychotext 6 Mar 2013 15:01:58 54,011 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My nephew got one yesterday and he's been continuously bitching about how slow it all is, and how much of a prat Nintendoland makes him feel (I don't understand this, something about waving the tablet around).

Also seemed to be getting this message "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped" all the time.
  • DFawkes 6 Mar 2013 15:08:06 22,831 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think I've been playing long enough to comment on system stability fairly, but while it's certainly not the fastest OS in the world, it feels great to use. Probably my favourite of the 3 HD consoles, given it focuses on the games, though I still quite like PS3s XMB interface. That's just down to personal preference though.

• jellyhead 6 Mar 2013 15:21:28 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The only time mine has hard-crashed is with the YouTube app. In the browser it's fine so i use that instead.

There was an update yesterday that has improved things for some people but broken the eShop for Japanese Wii U outside of Japan. The expected patch to fix OS speed issues is due in April i think.

As for waving the gamepad around, what game is he playing?

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Psychotext 6 Mar 2013 16:13:59 54,011 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    As for waving the gamepad around, what game is he playing?
    I think Nintendoland is all he has.
  • Frogofdoom 6 Mar 2013 16:28:03 880 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    wonder if he means tilting it for the dk on, my fave of the mini games in single player that one and its brutally difficult too
  • jellyhead 6 Mar 2013 17:00:13 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some games use the gamepad as a viewer though, the Zelda and i think the Metroid game do.
    In the main hub i just use the left stick to move and right stick for the camera rather than holding it up and looking around. That might be the area that most annoys him.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Page

of 1358 First / Last