• THFourteen 18 Feb 2013 19:37:19 33,089 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's talking about me!

Yessssss!
  • mal 18 Feb 2013 19:43:11 22,407 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The one positive you can say for early adopting Nintendo equipment is that you can probably enjoy the eventual quality games that come out for it using the console you bought originally, and not the nth replacement you've had to get for the shonky original hardware.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• CharlieStCloud 18 Feb 2013 20:00:00 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You know what may well be an extra incentive for me to purchase the Wii U in the foreseeable?

Matte ...

... utterly loathe the horrible tacky finger-prints-galore plastic they are currently using.
  • kalel 18 Feb 2013 20:02:14 86,743 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mal wrote:
    The one positive you can say for early adopting Nintendo equipment is that you can probably enjoy the eventual quality games that come out for it using the console you bought originally, and not the nth replacement you've had to get for the shonky original hardware.
    Through lack of wear and tear if nothing else :p
  • zoolophage 18 Feb 2013 20:10:03 1,636 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Have had my Wii U for a while now and there's a lot to like about it..but I think Nintendo have missed the boat as far getting people to swap over from the 360 or PS. For me the tech specs are perfectly fine but they're not impressing those that Nintendo hoped to attract.

All things considered the Wii was a bit of a cultural phenomenon that attracted a huge player base, most of whom were never going to transition over to whatever Nintendo did next. Tablets and mobiles swept up those gamers long ago. So the market is possibly back what it used to be pre Wii, with gamers positioning themselves depending on the type of games they prefer to play. Come next month's releases there will be more games than I can reasonably hope to complete, so I personally am not troubled by the slow speed of releases. If you're the kind of player who rockets through games in a few days or a couple of weeks then the Wii U has nothing much to offer right now. As an aside, I'm amazed at how fast some people complete games these days...I've read comments on various forums of people beating 30 hour long games in a single weekend. Crazy.

I predict (based on nothing) that the Wii U will be about as successful as the Gamecube was., more or less. People who like Nintendo games will enjoy and it other people will get on with playing their xboxes and PSs. Nintendo won't make a ton of money but neither will they go out of business. After all, it would be foolish to bet everything on a single console. As long as they turn a profit I guess they'll keep on doing what they're doing.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• Armoured_Bear 18 Feb 2013 20:35:40 10,502 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    zoolophage wrote:
    Have had my Wii U for a while now and there's a lot to like about it..but I think Nintendo have missed the boat as far getting people to swap over from the 360 or PS. For me the tech specs are perfectly fine but they're not impressing those that Nintendo hoped to attract.

All things considered the Wii was a bit of a cultural phenomenon that attracted a huge player base, most of whom were never going to transition over to whatever Nintendo did next. Tablets and mobiles swept up those gamers long ago. So the market is possibly back what it used to be pre Wii, with gamers positioning themselves depending on the type of games they prefer to play. Come next month's releases there will be more games than I can reasonably hope to complete, so I personally am not troubled by the slow speed of releases. If you're the kind of player who rockets through games in a few days or a couple of weeks then the Wii U has nothing much to offer right now. As an aside, I'm amazed at how fast some people complete games these days...I've read comments on various forums of people beating 30 hour long games in a single weekend. Crazy.

I predict (based on nothing) that the Wii U will be about as successful as the Gamecube was., more or less. People who like Nintendo games will enjoy and it other people will get on with playing their xboxes and PSs. Nintendo won't make a ton of money but neither will they go out of business. After all, it would be foolish to bet everything on a single console. As long as they turn a profit I guess they'll keep on doing what they're doing.
    A good, reasonable post.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• mal 18 Feb 2013 20:58:33 22,407 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd be happy if the Wii U was as successful as the Gamecube. That was a system with one of the best libraries of games, and a great launch lineup. The Wii U lineup has not impressed me so far, and the less said about its launch lineup the better.

• Psychotext 18 Feb 2013 21:04:03 53,915 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wii U doesn't have the third party support to allow it to provide the same gaming experience as the gamecube did.
  • DFawkes 18 Feb 2013 21:05:26 22,753 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still like the launch line up as far as games I want goes, but I held off on getting certain games especially to get the Wii U versions - without those, there's only really ZombieU and NSMB that I fancy. If you have another HD console, I have to admit that does leave it lacking.

Edited by DFawkes at 21:05:47 18-02-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• ResidentKnievel 18 Feb 2013 21:08:28 6,162 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Having a cheap, powerful console with a great launch line up didn't help Nintendo sell Gamecubes so they haven't bothered with that approach since.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• mal 18 Feb 2013 21:16:09 22,407 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So they've gone for an expensive, underpowered console with a crap launch lineup instead? You'll have to help me here.

• mrpon 18 Feb 2013 21:19:54 28,694 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mal wrote:
    I'd be happy if the Wii U was as successful as the Gamecube. That was a system with one of the best libraries of games, and a great launch lineup. The Wii U lineup has not impressed me so far, and the less said about its launch lineup the better.
    And controller. That thing was like a piece of soft clay squashed to perfectly mould your hand.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Daryoon 18 Feb 2013 21:39:39 4,604 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If the WiiU plays host to games from developers who can't afford next-gen budgets, then who gives a crap whether it outsells the competition? The current generation has already dumbed shit down enough for me - if it gets worse in the next, I'll resort to playing through all those SNES/PS1/2 games I've missed out on.

Squabbling over who has the biggest cock/userbase is pretty silly, because the 'losers' will always find ways to twist the 'argument' in their 'favour' (Wii isn't a proper console lol, etcetera).
  • Jazzy_Geoff 18 Feb 2013 21:52:49 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    Having a cheap, powerful console with a great launch line up didn't help Nintendo sell Gamecubes so they haven't bothered with that approach since.
    They don't have a choice.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 18 Feb 2013 21:58:05 7,767 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    If the WiiU plays host to games from developers who can't afford next-gen budgets, then who gives a crap whether it outsells the competition? The current generation has already dumbed shit down enough for me - if it gets worse in the next, I'll resort to playing through all those SNES/PS1/2 games I've missed out on.

Squabbling over who has the biggest cock/userbase is pretty silly, because the 'losers' will always find ways to twist the 'argument' in their 'favour' (Wii isn't a proper console lol, etcetera).
    It's not silly. You should be concerned. The numbers we're seeing, if you're a third party developer are you going to spend you cash developing games for a console with those numbers when you can write a game for the twins with 150m users? Are you even going to bother porting? You'll have to code in some touchscreen bullshit and probably 95% of the wii u users have another console anyway so you're just cannibalising your own sales.

Low numbers = fewer games = worse numbers = dead console
  • Moot_Point 18 Feb 2013 22:00:13 3,958 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is it Dreamcasting yet?

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Cappy 18 Feb 2013 22:04:09 11,883 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Check the next NeoGAF sales thread, the most recent one was drawing some comparisons to the Dreamcast.

Somebody will have prepped some nice graphs or something by the time the next thread comes around.
  • scoobysi 19 Feb 2013 00:22:26 886 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    jellyhead wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    The lesson here seems to be 'Don't be an early adopter of Nintendo products'.
    ... unless you like Nintendo games and have other machines to keep you occupied in the inevitable and predictable droughts.
    I stil don't really understand how you've benefitted from early adoption.
    By having Nintendoland at Xmas for one thing.
  • neilka 19 Feb 2013 01:50:56 15,813 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    Are you even going to bother porting?
    The release schedule for this year has already answered that one - no, nobody is going to bother porting.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Feb 2013 06:50:42 10,502 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    Are you even going to bother porting?
    The release schedule for this year has already answered that one - no, nobody is going to bother porting.
    Yes, the release schedule for this year is complete and the recent leak of Watchdogs being on WiiU is 100% false.

In the real world, it's going to miss loads of port with such lacklustre sales but if momentum increases or Nintendo do something so will ports.

Who gives a shit anyway?
    PC for multiplatform, consoles for exclusives is the way to go.

• Armoured_Bear 19 Feb 2013 06:52:13 10,502 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    scoobysi wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    jellyhead wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    The lesson here seems to be 'Don't be an early adopter of Nintendo products'.
    ... unless you like Nintendo games and have other machines to keep you occupied in the inevitable and predictable droughts.
    I stil don't really understand how you've benefitted from early adoption.
    By having Nintendoland at Xmas for one thing.
    I had my nephews here this weekend, both gamers, the older one has a 360 as well as their Wii and the only thing they were interested in playing the whole weekend was Nintendoland. It's utterly superb in multiplayer.

• roz123 19 Feb 2013 07:04:49 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There is a free Rayman legends challenge mode coming out on eShop in April. Video and details in the link
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/19/rayman-legends-online-challenges-mode-due-on-wii-u-in-april/
  • Deckard1 19 Feb 2013 07:10:29 27,570 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    "But we want to play something else uncle ecosse."

"YOU'LL PLAY IT OR MY PANTS COME OFF AGAIN! "

Hush you ponce

• Armoured_Bear 19 Feb 2013 07:12:10 10,502 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    There is a free Rayman legends challenge mode coming out on eShop in April. Video and details in the link
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/19/rayman-legends-online-challenges-mode-due-on-wii-u-in-april/
    Well done Ubisoft, the people pissed off about the pointless delay will be delighted....

• figaro7 19 Feb 2013 07:51:59 1,362 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nintendoland keeps on giving, unlocked advanced levels in metroid, pikmin and zelda and the difficulty ramps up as well. Playing those inbetween some yoshis fruit cart and balloon flight it really is a great package.
  • LeoliansBro 19 Feb 2013 07:56:03 43,632 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

A good, reasonable post.
    What, so comments on the WiiU have to meet with your personal approval, like some jumped up self-important censor? You patronising twat.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• THFourteen 19 Feb 2013 07:59:00 33,089 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

A good, reasonable post.
    What, so comments on the WiiU have to meet with your personal approval, like some jumped up self-important censor? You patronising twat.
    An average, acceptable post.
  • mrpon 19 Feb 2013 08:00:25 28,694 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Always raises a titter this thread.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Zizoo 19 Feb 2013 08:02:14 8,247 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    "But we want to play something else uncle ecosse."

"YOU'LL PLAY IT OR MY PANTS COME OFF AGAIN! "
  • LeoliansBro 19 Feb 2013 08:03:14 43,632 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Honest thoughts on the WiiU, having tried it a couple of times over the weekend.

Nintendoland is a very thin, but good fun, collection of minigames. Don't confuse them for a full blown release title and you'll be fine. Great for a blast with friends, especially those who aren't used to console gaming.

ZombiU is to the WiiU as Red Steel is to the Wii. Inventive, rough around the edges, unsatisfying and forgettable, if ultimately not that bad.

NSMBU is a concept that is so tired you wonder where the love is coming from these days. A map pack and a graphical update, nothing more.

Not tried anything else. Is there anything else?

However the kit itself, not bad. Good solid feel to the gamepad and the screen is nice. The multiplayer controller confusion is a total mess but the kit you get with the console itself is good stuff.

So if it had some games it could be 8/10. With a price cut, as it stands 4/10. At 399 with this little to do on it and the 360 and PS3 offering direct competition, 2/10. Hard to see what Nintendo were thinking.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Page

of 1353 First / Last