Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OH DEAR
    H

D
    E
    A
    R

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• CharlieStCloud 15 Feb 2013 08:28:04 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    @CharlieStCloud Dream Pinball launched in the US in April 2008 on the Wii and May 2008 in Europe. A PC (2006) and DS version were also released.

Edit: The game is also available for iOS it launched in 2012.
    How nice of you to pursue my curiosity ...

... : )

At first, I didn't think 55,000 was too bad however, if Psychotext is correct in saying the PlayStation 3 sold a shy over 82,000 on it's worse month - at $599! - and that the data was compiled over five weeks, not the usual four, then that is hugely worrying.

Looks like those crazy Nintendo fans on the Nintendo Life website thinks it is actually 'good news' ... what the actual fuck?! They do not live on this planet, at all.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 15 Feb 2013 08:44:41 38,182 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    @CharlieStCloud Dream Pinball launched in the US in April 2008 on the Wii and May 2008 in Europe. A PC (2006) and DS version were also released.

Edit: The game is also available for iOS it launched in 2012.
    How nice of you to pursue my curiosity ...

... : )

At first, I didn't think 55,000 was too bad however, if Psychotext is correct in saying the PlayStation 3 sold a shy over 82,000 on it's worse month - at $599! - and that the data was compiled over five weeks, not the usual four, then that is hugely worrying.

Looks like those crazy Nintendo fans on the Nintendo Life website thinks it is actually 'good news' ... what the actual fuck?! They do not live on this planet, at all.
    To be fair the economy was in a different place at the time of the PS3 launch. People actually had money back then :)

I wouldn't even begin to pretend it's good news, but I would at the very least would expect Nintendo to have forecast for a slower launch.

Mind you, this is Nintendo we're talking about. They may have expected it to do gangbusters.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Zizoo 15 Feb 2013 08:56:10 8,374 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Any good Wii U vs Vita sales numbers around?

Edit: Just saw the thread with January sales.

Edited by ZizouFC at 09:20:34 15-02-2013
  • Lt_Drebin 15 Feb 2013 08:59:32 155 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Someone will be. I wonder what the issue is? Price? Games?

I'd like to get one but there's just nothing worth buying it for at the moment.
    For me it's entirely the price and I'm sure I'm not alone there. Nintendo consoles are always my "second console" (or at least they have been since the SNES) so I've not been able to justify a purchase until the price dipped below £150. The GC was a rare launch-day purchase for me with its £129 release price. From what I've read, they just can't afford to hit that price point with the cost of the pad so I don't know how they can fix this.
  • roz123 15 Feb 2013 09:17:04 7,113 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think Nintendo probably expected those third party games that have an established userbase on other systems to sell well and attract the hardcore gamers which they obviously haven't, in fact the direct comparisons these early ports gave us has left the Wii U looking underpowered and undesirable.

They didn't plan well enough for these early months which is very strange considering the same thing happened with the 3DS and Nintendo cut its price. Even then it didn't really start taking off till Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 came out, now that has managed to turn itself around and its looking like it could have a great year. The Wii Us start has been even worse but with the right software, much better advertising and a price cut it could turn it around as well.

Wii Fit U is probably the next bit of software that could potentially be a system seller, the original did amazingly well but like a gym membership its the sort of thing many people would buy with intentions of getting fit but would later regret after not getting enough use from it. Its also difficult to see what it can do to really improve on the original and tempt people to upgrade. The off tv play is fairly useful for measuring standard workouts whilst watching TV and maybe it will have some fun looking mini games but I can't see it being a big success.
  • Aretak 15 Feb 2013 09:41:17 10,352 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    http://i.imgur.com/BHo3ZV0.jpg
  • Psychotext 15 Feb 2013 09:48:31 54,200 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    There's no way of knowing how bad those sales figures are until the new consoles are released. The 3DS, during it's slowest months, was considered a massive failure.
    3DS was never even close to being that bad in its worst month. This really is unprecedented for a home console, and as previously stated... it'll be worse next month.
  • Raiko101 15 Feb 2013 09:57:55 6,306 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No. It's not. But who says the other consoles will fair much better? There was much talk of the Vita potentially out performing the 3DS once.

I'm not saying this is likely, but it's not impossible.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Psychotext 15 Feb 2013 10:00:29 54,200 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is that even relevant? They might sell two consoles total, burst into toxic flames and poison the atmosphere for generations to come... but it still wouldn't change the fact that right now the Wii is in massive trouble and setting new records for the worst sales ever for a near launch window console.
  • nickthegun 15 Feb 2013 10:00:37 59,925 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know you love nintendo, but if you think that the PS4 or 720 will do worse than this, you are tripping.

One may struggle at the expense of the other, but theres no way either is going to do these kinds of pitiful numbers.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deleted user 15 February 2013 10:00:57
    Its pretty hard to defend those figures. they are really bad.

But for it is worth, i don't think the ps4, and xbox will fly out of the blocks either. Aside from the lead up to christmas. After that, there going to be a lull.

Edited by joelstinton at 10:01:58 15-02-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Feb 2013 10:04:47 11,236 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There seems to me to have been a few massive errors made with this console that Iwata has to take the blame for.

Name

Utterly confusing with no benefit at all, shows a shocking lack of imagination in trying to repeat exactly what was done with the Wii.
    Wii 2, Super Wii whatever would have much better and kept the Wii brand without the confusion to the tard on the street.

Appearance

It looks very similar to a Wii, a mind numbingly boring and conservative approach to industrial design that also creates confusion.

Power

Being a bit ahead of the previous gen isn’t good enough, there is no need for the console to be that small, it should have been more powerful, still below the next 2 but able to provide a clear improvement over the PS360 from day one.
    It’s not as if being so small and non power hungry has any real benefit anyway, it’s not especially quiet with it’s shitty little fans spinning away loudly.

Controller

The controller is pretty excellent but not having analogue triggers when previous controllers in the last 2 gens did is inexplicable.
    Cheaping out on the battery so cynically is shameful.

Software

There are some really enjoyable games from launch, I’ve had a great time with ZombiU, NSMBU, Nintendoland etc.
    However, there’s no system seller for the masses, nothing to really grab people’s attention and make them go “Fuuuck, I want one of those now”

Marketing

The marketing effort has been horrendous, so little presence in store, so little advertising beforehand to create a buzz, so little awareness amonst the general public.
    It should have been marketed strongly as the next amazing console from Nintendo, like nothing before etc.

Tools

From what we are now hearing the documentation and tools provided to developers before launch were nowhere near ready, this partially explaining the lack of visible improvement in 360 ports (this and lack of effort).
    This was the same with the PS3 but Nintendo have had a long time to get this right.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• dazcox5181 15 Feb 2013 10:05:13 297 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Worrying times... Maybe the younger generation are too used to cheap throw away games on mobiles and the home console (and handheld) markets really are dead. Will be interesting to see MS and Sonys strategy, naturally I'd expect much wider coverage of their launches, MS never miss a chance to advertise do they! PS4 might kick start the Vita too if they link as rumoured, still not regretting my Wii U though TBH have been busy and it hasn't been on in 2 weeks now :( dispite having some good games available. (My Vita is also unused... I have a habit of picking doomed consoles )

http://gizmodad.co.uk

• nickthegun 15 Feb 2013 10:05:35 59,925 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, in summary, everything they have done with the wii u is wrong?

• Deleted user 15 February 2013 10:15:05
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    There seems to me to have been a few massive errors made with this console that Iwata has to take the blame for.
    To be honest a lot of that is irrelevant. People don't go, 'not buying that because it as analouge triggers.

If you look at the general response of people who own a wii u, the opinions are positive, and there experience of the console and its (limited) software is really fun.

What it is lacking is a) games, and b) marketing.

The problem is, they can't solve the problem in the immediate future. And theres nothing to market.

Its going to be a shit 6 months or so for nintendo. But it doesn't mean the console is dead. i guess the only thing they can do... is do a 5 min nintendo direct, showing a showreel of everything they got in development. just teasers, and then drop full reveals at e3.
  • Raiko101 15 Feb 2013 10:15:23 6,306 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @nickthegun I've no problem admitting defeat if my investment in this console ends up being for little more than I have now, but perhaps times have changed. Perhsps the hype for new consoles isn't what it was. Unless you're hardcore, you've no reason to run out and buy any console at launch. And with all the big games out on the older consoles this year, if they sell well, who's saving for a new console?

Both new consoles will get off to a great start, i'm sure. But I can imagine it'll not be anyehere near the previous generations numbers.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Blerk Moderator 15 Feb 2013 10:16:18 48,225 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    So, in summary, everything they have done with the wii u is wrong?
    Pretty much.

Edited by Blerk at 10:16:34 15-02-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Feb 2013 10:18:45 11,236 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    To be honest a lot of that is irrelevant. People don't go, 'not buying that because it as analouge triggers.

If you look at the general response of people who own a wii u, the opinions are positive, and there experience of the console and its (limited) software is really fun.

What it is lacking is a) games, and b) marketing.

The problem is, they can't solve the problem in the immediate future. And theres nothing to market.

Its going to be a shit 6 months or so for nintendo. But it doesn't mean the console is dead. i guess the only thing they can do... is do a 5 min nintendo direct, showing a showreel of everything they got in development. just teasers, and then drop full reveals at e3.
    Some things such as analogue triggers won't have affected the sales so far, you're right.
    It's still an inexplicable omission,
    Your last paragraph is bag on.

• PhoenixFlames 15 Feb 2013 10:21:06 8,998 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Some things such as analogue triggers won't have affected the sales so far, you're right.
    It's still an inexplicable omission,
    Your last paragraph is bag on.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• captainrentboy 15 Feb 2013 10:22:18 991 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pretty much. And I can't see any reason why the sales numbers would improve any time soon. Lego and Pikmin are not system sellers, folk who wanted those have a Wii U already. The one game that might generate a small spike is Wii Fit U, but even then £400 will be a lot of money for fat middle aged women to splurge in one go. And the marketing behind it would need to be huge.
  • zoolophage 15 Feb 2013 10:25:03 1,741 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My main concern is the price of games on the Wii U. I spent loads on the Wii but at £35ish+ for games I'm likely to be far more selective. In some ways that's a good thing as I have a habit of buying far more than I have time to play.

Sadly, the known current release schedule is more than enough to keep me busy for the rest of the year. I could probably survive on first party titles alone tbh....sigh.

As an aside, ONM gave Monster Hunter a good but not great review. Seems like there is little to recommend it over the Wii version and it has more than a few rough edges.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• nickthegun 15 Feb 2013 10:27:30 59,925 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The market for Wii U fit already has Wii Fit sat behind their sofas, gathering dust. I cant imagine many people scrambling to get on that train again.

• javvyman 15 Feb 2013 10:47:53 709 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All good points from posters today.
    Another i'd make is that of the price structure. The two tier SKU has made the console look seriously gimped. I mean, you get the premium which has everything with it that should come as standard.
    Stands galore, premium incentives, better colour, better storage (albeit, still too little) and a good pack-in title.
    The problem is the price in place for the bog standard SKU is just right, whereas the price for the premium is inflated.

It doesn't help that greedy retailers had the premium on at launch for £270-290 and the BS SKU for £210-250. I mean, the sell-through for the shit one was about 15% of total sales. Utterly pointless.

Only now are we even beginning to see a more sensible price structure, and £190 and £250 respectively. I understand the core of the cost is in the screen, but consumers want value from their purchase, and the premium clearly has way more value. It should have been released at £200 - £250 standard with room for retailer specific markdowns. That and both SKUs should have had around 64GB standard, all stands, accessories included minus the pack-in title for the white version.

There's some serious work to be done now as it has a bad rep, which recent experiences tell us can be recovered from (3DS) but can also kill a system. (Vita)
  • Aretak 15 Feb 2013 10:49:39 10,352 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Some might say that's because the kind of people who will have bought a Wii U at this point are those who'd decided long before it came out that they'd buy and enjoy it no matter what.

Not me, however, I love Krusty.
  • Red_Bool 15 Feb 2013 10:51:06 1,173 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think people are forgetting the past. These are some consoles and what I remember being 'memorable' games available at launch:
    * Gamecube launch - Starfox adventures, Waverace?
    * Wii launch - Wii Sports, Wii Play and some assorted tat
    * PS2 launch - Ridge Racer 5, Tekken something (hardly memorable - and you people complain about the WiiU? ;))
    * Nintendo DS launch - Meteos, can't remember anything else
    * Xbox360 - Perfect Dark Zero, Banjo Kazooie, that fairy game

All of these consoles I have bought, but definitely not at launch. The cube when mario sunshine came out, Wii because I could get it cheap 2nd hand right before mario galaxy came out, PS2 when the GT3 pack got out (500 euros!), etc.

I think for all these applies that the "good" games came out quite a few months after their launch and, part from perhaps the Gamecube, I'd say all these console did pretty fine :)

Maybe we're all a bit spoiled. We want it all and we want it *right now*...Have some patience, come back in a couple of months - I personally still have more than enough in my backlog to keep myself happy until the real WiiU system seller (whatever that may be) comes out :)

/2 cents
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Feb 2013 10:53:41 11,236 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    javvyman wrote: It should have been released at £200 - £250 standard with room for retailer specific markdowns. That and both SKUs should have had around 64GB standard, all stands, accessories included minus the pack-in title for the white version.

There's some serious work to be done now as it has a bad rep, which recent experiences tell us can be recovered from (3DS) but can also kill a system. (Vita)
    Indeed.

• Psychotext 15 Feb 2013 10:54:15 54,200 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The market for Wii U fit already has Wii Fit sat behind their sofas, gathering dust. I cant imagine many people scrambling to get on that train again.
    Especially as it's releasing in the summer. Which is probably the most retarded move they could have pulled. Who the fuck wants to be indoors exercising in the summer?

Ignoring the fact that there really aren't enough casuals with the Wii U to make it a success anyway (and it's sure as shit not going to be enough for them to buy one).
  • nickthegun 15 Feb 2013 10:59:25 59,925 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think, like with to the DS, you just arent going to be able to get the casuals to move on. All the kids/mums are happy playing spongebob or sudoku on their DS's, so why would they upgrade to a 3DS?

Same with the Wii U. People are happy to have their weighing scales sat there or to get the Wii out when the mates come round and waft about a bit to wii sports, but thats it.

There is no way these people are going to shell out near 400 sheets for something they wheel out at dinner parties.

Nintendo are, in some ways, victims of their own success. The last round of casual friendly stuff was so successful, theres no point in upgrading.

• javvyman 15 Feb 2013 10:59:32 709 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Red_Bool

Whilst I agree that this launch is no worse than every other console launch in the past, perhaps even better in terms of sheer quality of content. I still feel it needed a stronger stream of titles, I mean, even ports would do, with the occasional smattering of original titles as we're currently getting.
    Im this day and age, people are self-serving and most want instant gratification. the problem is, and this has become an increasingly common trend, people are more interested in what's coming next rather than what's come before. Whether it was last year, 6 months ago, or even last month.
  • Page

of 1363 First / Last