Torchlight 2 Page 4

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Sharzam 20 Sep 2012 20:40:12 3,032 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My important contribution to this thread is..

Torchlight 2 is awesome, that is all.

edit: Better put some detail i guess, it is awesome because it is everything this genre should be and not some watered down mass market pansy RPG. I love fiddling with numbers and choosing how my toon builds woooo!

Edited by Sharzam at 20:41:47 20-09-2012

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• BeebleB 20 Sep 2012 21:11:08 957 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yep..played for an hour or so(up to level 7), initially a lil worried about the graphics but they've grown on me. Plays as well as ever, multiple towns are nice....

Want to give the multiplayer a whirl at some point but for now I'm happy..

Money well spent

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• Daeltaja 20 Sep 2012 22:26:59 1,118 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So, so, so much better than Diablo III it's hilarious. It really shows up how poorly designed D3 is. Difference is day and night.

Anyway, I bought a 4-pack a few hours ago and haven't yet received the 3 other keys. Anyone else have this issue yet?
  • THFourteen 20 Sep 2012 23:08:42 33,878 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bought my 4 pack ages ago and the gifts were in my Steam Inventory almost immediately...

Only played a couple of hours but loving it. I picked the little ferret. He's called Winston.

Can't say whether I like it more or less than diablo 3 yet, I sunk 50 hours into that at the end of the day. Love the cartoony and bright graphics though. And runs fine on my Hd 4000 laptop.
  • Blerk Moderator 21 Sep 2012 02:11:44 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I suppose I really ought to stop playing now and go to bed. :)
  • onestepfromlost 21 Sep 2012 02:34:18 2,083 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Must.... not.... buy..... another game i have no time for.....
  • THFourteen 21 Sep 2012 07:25:17 33,878 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Brought my laptop to work today. The temptation is too much :)
  • MrSensible 21 Sep 2012 07:48:46 25,230 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok so mine is still stuck saying 'Update Paused' and if I try to run it I'm still getting 'Disk IO Error'. Nice one :(
  • THFourteen 21 Sep 2012 07:52:37 33,878 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did you preload it?

I had the same issue. Had to delete all local files and redownload the whole 1.5gig
  • MrSensible 21 Sep 2012 07:53:59 25,230 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I did... how annoying! I don't really have the time to play properly now like, I'm about to head out to work... but I wanted to just give it a little look :D

Will have to try re-downloading later then, thanks.
  • Blerk Moderator 21 Sep 2012 08:34:39 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got all kinds of grief the other day when the Steam connection kept going up and down. You should try logging out of your Steam account and logging back in first - that fixed all kinds of crazy 'no connection' and 'update suspended' errors for me.

Also might be worth pointing out that if you change the screen res (it defaults to 1024x768, iirc) it might be worth restarting the game even though it doesn't ask you to. I got some terribly choppy frame-rates after switching to my laptop's native res until I quit and came back in.

And.... I'm at work. Not in Torchlight 2.

Well this sucks. :(
  • THFourteen 21 Sep 2012 09:13:56 33,878 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sigh, in true TH14 fashion i am now level 8 and have not spent a single stat point and only 3 skill points (which i can respec).

/lives in fear of gimping character
  • THFourteen 21 Sep 2012 09:37:01 33,878 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BTW i am not sure whether to go for strength on my shooty outlander or dexterity. Strength says it increases ALL weapon damage. But ranged characters have traditionally used Dex, and the shooty weapons i pick up have Dex requirements.

Any idea?
  • Dr.Haggard 21 Sep 2012 09:45:37 4,226 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Despite being decidedly nonplussed by the beta I found it hard to tear myself away from this last night, it's fantastic, and a huge improvement in every way over the first game.

The silly season has started in earnest this week, and to top it off I got a Hawken alpha invite yesterday, and then a DotA 2 invite this morning. I barely have enough time to give this and Borderlands the attention they deserve at the moment, let alone those.
  • Dr.Haggard 21 Sep 2012 09:48:22 4,226 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    BTW i am not sure whether to go for strength on my shooty outlander or dexterity. Strength says it increases ALL weapon damage. But ranged characters have traditionally used Dex, and the shooty weapons i pick up have Dex requirements.

Any idea?
    It does seem to make it pretty clear that strength is + damage for all weapon types for all classes, and dex is dodge and crit etc, but I had a similar dichotomy last night and it'd be nice to know for sure before I spend more points.
  • Blerk Moderator 21 Sep 2012 09:57:55 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Sigh, in true TH14 fashion i am now level 8 and have not spent a single stat point and only 3 skill points (which i can respec).

/lives in fear of gimping character
    You don't need to live in fear, surely? There's a respec guy in town who'll let you re-roll the whole thing (for a price, probably - I'm not sure, I'm a bit slapdash with the old upgrades). :)
  • Deleted user 21 September 2012 11:12:06
    Got bored before the end of Torchlight 1 tbh, so I'll wait for the inevitable sale before i get this.

Steam sales make you buy games you know you probably won't finish.
  • Deleted user 21 September 2012 12:00:58
    The respec guy only lets you do over your last three upgrades or something.
  • Blerk Moderator 21 Sep 2012 12:13:26 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, not quite a total re-roll then, but useful to undo mistakes I guess.

I wish Steam worked from the office. :|
  • dsmx 21 Sep 2012 12:18:47 7,651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldn't worry someone will quickly make a mod that allows a full respec.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Blerk Moderator 21 Sep 2012 12:23:01 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I never respec anyway. Make snap decisions, live with it. :D
  • ecu 21 Sep 2012 12:24:49 77,039 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Definitely going to get this anyway, but I really enjoyed the first game and I'm wondering how this one compares.
  • Blerk Moderator 21 Sep 2012 12:28:29 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bigger, better, more, as a general rule of thumb. Feels slicker, lots more options, online co-op play.

For me, the biggest change is that fact that stuff's a lot more spread out so there are largeish 'over-world' areas to explore (and find natty side-quests in) rather than it just being town/dungeon/town.
  • Sharzam 21 Sep 2012 20:19:23 3,032 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I dont think you have to stack or think of one stat the game seams much more open ended. For example the outlander is a ranged class however has plenty of magical ablitys so you could add in a bit of focus.

Strength is weapon damage across the board but doesnt effect elemental damage. So say your a outlander who is using more magic based skills then you might want more dex for the dodge and focus for damage. Or maybe you only want the ranged weapon damage then you get those skills in the ranged tree. Same goes goes with all the classes i think like engineer can be a melee tank or a ranged cannon wielder.

Really is up to you which stats you want to focus on to supplement your fighting style. I think the only real exception is the embermage, appears to be very magic focused (duh) so will need focus either way.

Personally i am an outlander focusing on Dex with some focus and using the middle tree i think called 'Lore' so iam ranged weapon damage who uses magic enchanted attacks. But i can see how i could go all the way weapon or all the way magic with a few different choices.

Edited by Sharzam at 20:21:30 21-09-2012

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• skuzzbag 21 Sep 2012 21:54:09 5,651 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wish I hadn't paid for this on the bug-ridden (IME) steam platform. Damn thing won't download now as it says I haven't paid for it.
  • Blerk Moderator 22 Sep 2012 20:02:23 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Loving every minute of this, it's superb! Steam stats say I've played over eight hours of it since Thursday evening. Yoinks!
  • THFourteen 23 Sep 2012 11:57:32 33,878 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm now level 17 and have about 60 unspent stat points and about 15 unspent skill points :(
  • BeebleB 23 Sep 2012 12:16:32 957 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    also level 17 and have spent all mine..how wisely does remain to be seen though. Am an engineer and have focused mainly on strength and vitality, putting skill point sinto the flaming hammer and the healing drone..

Am playing on hard and its gotten to be quite hard too, which is nice.

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• UncleLou Moderator 23 Sep 2012 23:17:51 35,718 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have they removed the feature from the beta that you can change the difficulty on the fly? I can't find it anymore. If yes, I'll have to restart on veteran.

The limited respec option is nice if you just want to try a new skill, but I guess the fundamental problem of later skills making earlier ones obsolete will remain, especially as there are no synergies. Only spending points on passive skills for now.
  • THFourteen 23 Sep 2012 23:21:30 33,878 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still cant bring myself to spend any points. Which is lucky as i keep changing weapon!

Noticed that all the skills need mana, does that mean my outlander needs focus too? Got 70 points spare :-)
  • Page

of 8 First / Last