• Page

of 13 First / Last

• MightyMouse 8 Jun 2011 20:54:30 1,145 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    VandelayIndustries wrote:
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    From the the RPS interview:
    RPS: I understand that there are advantages for you in using Sony’s infrastructure. But again, cutting off half of your console audience seems, from my perspective, to be a risk. That’s 50% of your player base gone.

Torfi: Sony understand. They have an understanding, and they’re curious.

Thomas: Our vision for the future is more closely aligned. For example, most of DUST is running on our own technology, it’s running on our own super-computer, on Tranquillity. And Sony is a lot more… open, shall we say, to allowing you to do those things. It may seem silly, but on Xbox Live your identity is your Xbox Live identity. In the EVE universe, having people not know who you are is quite important.

RPS: Would you say that you couldn’t do DUST on the 360? The way their infrastructure is set up, their policies, would making doing this with Microsoft impossible?

Thomas: I don’t think it’s about saying we “couldn’t” do it. I think some of the challenges we’d meet would be tricky. But then also as a developer you’ve got to weigh the balance. It’s nice to work on one platform rather than two, because it means you don’t have to make any awkward compromises, technically. Also you get the benefit of a closer relationship with that platform. And with the production methodology that we have, we don’t fire and forget the games. It’s about continuous development. So we keep working on them, and you see the huge number of updates that have occurred on EVE in the last seven or eight years. The thinking is the same with DUST. So having that relationship with the platform holder is important for us.

Darn MS!
    So this could possibly run over into the PS4 as well?

Almost certainly will I think.
  • RedSparrows 8 Jun 2011 21:10:45 24,297 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It makes sense for MMO style games to be on one platform, for the reasons he outlined.

I love Live, but MS's policy is, sometimes, self-defeating - this is a case in point. As I said, I'd buy a PS3 for this, if I had the money. Was a sure-fire on my 360, now no more.
  • DodgyPast 8 Jun 2011 21:40:36 8,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MightyMouse wrote:

The heavy lifting asset and character wise will probably hook into the Eve database servers, I'd guess the fights themselves will be hosted on shards that cache that data.

Out of interest how many people are much more interested in giving it a go now they know it will be free to play?
  • ResidentKnievel 8 Jun 2011 21:48:22 6,294 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think everyone who has a PS3 will give it a go, unless they're sick of FPS'.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• ResidentKnievel 9 Jun 2011 15:37:19 6,294 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    It won't get be implemented perfectly from day one. It'll be a fifth of the final target, but that's not the point. What is is that CCP have an idea and are working towards it. Precisely what developers should be doing, instead of throwing out generic FPS after FPS. Kudos to them for trying at the very least.

Yup, features are being cut already, the Dreadnought being destroyed in the E3 vid is just for show according to this interview:
    At the end of the demo, a ground-based energy weapon destroys a spacecraft in orbit. “That’s just for show,” said Atli Már Sveinsson, creative director at CCP. Dust 514 is an MMO hybrid so doesn’t allow Dust players to fully move in and out of the EVE universe yet. But being able to destroy a ship in orbit is the kind of interactivity that CCP is striving for. For now, Dust players can communicate and strike agreements with EVE players and the outcomes of battles can influence the global balance of power.

I mean, EVE players already know that CCP's vids are mostly fantasy, but, like FWB says, at least we know it's something the devs are eventually going to work on.

Also, clones will cost isk and have to be transported to planets before (or during, maybe) the battle, which will add a whole new layer of depth:
    In many first-person shooting games, players will “respawn,” meaning they’ll eventually come back to life after they being killed in the game. In Dust 514 and EVE, characters are cloned after death, so you have a finite supply of manufactured bodies that have to be purchased, produced and transported to your facilities. So every loss in the game has a painful economic cost, which tends to discourage reckless behavior like suicide charges.

• Deleted user 9 June 2011 15:52:21
    The cost for clones thing sounds fantastic. I'm imagining something like Eufloria or Galcon only where the armies being sent to planets are "real" people :-D
  • LockeTribal 9 Jun 2011 16:16:30 4,540 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm starting to get interested in this now. Didn't realise it was free-to-play either. Don't know much about the EVE universe but it always sounds interesting - especially all the subterfuge and intrigue. I'm just imagining, with the whole mercenaries aspect of Dust, you could end up getting offered a job by one player, accepting it, then contacting the competing player and double-crossing your original employer :)

• ResidentKnievel 9 Jun 2011 16:18:26 6,294 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Exactly, or you could be part of a DUST corp that gets powerful enough to do the hiring!

• FarFromSane 9 Jun 2011 21:40:16 241 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    MightyMouse wrote:

The heavy lifting asset and character wise will probably hook into the Eve database servers, I'd guess the fights themselves will be hosted on shards that cache that data.

Out of interest how many people are much more interested in giving it a go now they know it will be free to play?

I never realised it was going to be free..

I was very interested before hand but not definitely going to play.. I need an alternative to MAG..

Somewhere out there, a neurotic chicken wants to cross the road but is paralyzed by the knowledge that everyone will question his motives

• FWB 9 Jun 2011 21:43:22 45,650 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    It won't get be implemented perfectly from day one. It'll be a fifth of the final target, but that's not the point. What is is that CCP have an idea and are working towards it. Precisely what developers should be doing, instead of throwing out generic FPS after FPS. Kudos to them for trying at the very least.

Yup, features are being cut already, the Dreadnought being destroyed in the E3 vid is just for show according to this interview:
    At the end of the demo, a ground-based energy weapon destroys a spacecraft in orbit. “That’s just for show,” said Atli Már Sveinsson, creative director at CCP. Dust 514 is an MMO hybrid so doesn’t allow Dust players to fully move in and out of the EVE universe yet. But being able to destroy a ship in orbit is the kind of interactivity that CCP is striving for. For now, Dust players can communicate and strike agreements with EVE players and the outcomes of battles can influence the global balance of power.

I mean, EVE players already know that CCP's vids are mostly fantasy, but, like FWB says, at least we know it's something the devs are eventually going to work on.

Also, clones will cost isk and have to be transported to planets before (or during, maybe) the battle, which will add a whole new layer of depth:
    In many first-person shooting games, players will “respawn,” meaning they’ll eventually come back to life after they being killed in the game. In Dust 514 and EVE, characters are cloned after death, so you have a finite supply of manufactured bodies that have to be purchased, produced and transported to your facilities. So every loss in the game has a painful economic cost, which tends to discourage reckless behavior like suicide charges.

Sounds brilliant.

Eve really is a work in progress and given the support CCP will get there. It's already moved on loads since its first inception, which can't be said for WoW. Blizzard just keep throwing out new skins. CCP actually add depth and new gameplay.
  • RedSparrows 9 Jun 2011 21:46:17 24,297 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh god I want this. I really really want this.

My netbook doesn't run EVE well, hence I no longer play it. I'd love to be part of the universe again - it'd be AWESOME to be in a corp and hold a planet that has some mega uber valuable thing on it wanted by loads of space-jockeys, and you have big pew pews to shoot down their ships if they come and steal it :D

(and fighting off the merc scum that they send...)
  • ResidentKnievel 12 Jun 2011 18:56:51 6,294 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Game Trailers interviews:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-dust-514/715864?type=flv

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-dust-514/715922

I haven't watched them yet, but I'm posting everything Dust related.

• RunningMan 12 Jun 2011 19:17:43 2,451 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This looks epic, can see some serious time being thrown into this.
  • Progguitarist 12 Jun 2011 20:18:00 10,538 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If they get the basic mechanics right it could be something really special. I wonder if they are getting outside help with the development? I don't know what else they've worked on but I assume this is their first shooter?
  • FarFromSane 12 Jun 2011 20:24:19 241 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'll make sure to brake my leg for next summer

Somewhere out there, a neurotic chicken wants to cross the road but is paralyzed by the knowledge that everyone will question his motives

• Deleted user 12 June 2011 20:43:18
    I got quite excited watching the E3 Dust video, so much so that I created a trial account of EVE online. I found it mostly quite boring though, the combat tutorials were interesting enough but when I tried the mining and scanning tutorials I got bogged down in what seemed like pointless bullshit.
    The exploration scanning in particular was a pain, all I had to find was one gravimetric training site and it proved nigh on impossible, even after watching the official scannning video on youtube. Switched it off in disgust and haven't been back since, here's hoping Dust is better.
  • DFawkes 12 Jun 2011 20:56:19 24,098 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Join the Eurogamer.net chat channel. It makes everything a lot more enjoyable when you can simply ask the lovely people there (I had to at the same point).

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Progguitarist 12 Jun 2011 21:05:34 10,538 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will EVE run on an old machine?
  • ResidentKnievel 12 Jun 2011 23:08:44 6,294 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Runs on my 3 year old laptop just fine with settings on low.

• Progguitarist 13 Jun 2011 00:01:23 10,538 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers, I just saw that there's a mac version. Is it cross platform? Hope so!
  • overcorpse 13 Jun 2011 07:57:26 306 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ResidentKnievel do you actually play EvE?

Nerf paper,scissors are fine as they are. - Rock.

• ResidentKnievel 13 Jun 2011 11:43:54 6,294 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    overcorpse wrote:

Not at the moment, unsubbed a couple of weeks a go. Not out of bitter-vetness, but out of needing a break and being poor irl.

• ResidentKnievel 13 Jun 2011 11:58:47 6,294 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    Game Trailers interviews:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-dust-514/715864?type=flv

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-dust-514/715922

I haven't watched them yet, but I'm posting everything Dust related.

57 seconds into the second video you can see a fitting screen for one of the vehicles, looks to work in exactly the same way as fitting ships in EVE. This should mean that fittings and tactics will be incredibly in-depth, I can't wait to get theory-crafting!

• overcorpse 17 Jun 2011 00:27:51 306 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    overcorpse wrote:

Not at the moment, unsubbed a couple of weeks a go. Not out of bitter-vetness, but out of needing a break and being poor irl.

Pay with iskies,And ive played since release and i hate the way the game has changed.Its to god damn easy now.

Nerf paper,scissors are fine as they are. - Rock.

• Widge Moderator 17 Jun 2011 15:57:10 13,746 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally watched the video. Digital Download is a great idea. I played Warhawk shitloads because it was always there ready to play.

The entire thing sounds huge concept wise, and massively satisfying. When you play CoD, you realise that you are playing to see XP+number come up at the end of the game. The best multiplayers I have played have always been ones where you play for a shared purpose. This seems to take that to another level, the chance to perhaps become a force in the Eve universe, to have an impact on these galactic map changing events that you read about. Succulent.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Ged42 21 Aug 2011 10:23:02 7,812 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Report from Gamescom

Looks like it pays to have a mate on EVE at the same time.

"Bob, rain firey death on these co-ordinates."
  • frantyk 22 Aug 2011 17:35:37 65 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm interested to see if the Eve online tye in actually works..
    although its nice to get away from the HIGHLY Addictive Eve, and now i have another potential addiction to absorb any other spare time/life i have....
  • ResidentKnievel 24 Aug 2011 12:14:12 6,294 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice pics of Gallente vehicles and architecture and an Amarrian gun in that link, for a while I thought it'd just be boring Caldari style stuff.

Style reference:

Caldari - Bluey grey angular industrial

Gallente - Bluey green smooth alien curves

Amarr - Gold and regal in space

Minmatar - Red and rusting and VERTICAL

But for Dust the three latter styles have been toned down and look a lot like Caldari at a glance. Darn FPS'.

• Deleted user 10 October 2011 16:21:03
    PSN Blog has just featured an interview:

PS.Blog: With EVE Online, CCP already has a huge, engaged community. Why are you now trying to break into the console FPS market?

Brandon: EVE Online is an incredibly deep MMO and, for better or worse, that comes with a typical perception that it is complicated. The common joke is that you have to overcome a ‘learning cliff’ to get involved. Part of the thinking behind DUST 514 is to address those preconceptions; we accept that there is a barrier to entry with something as deep as EVE Online and we wanted to make it more accessible, providing another portal and dimension into the EVE universe. What’s more accessible to a gamer in this day and age than a shooter?

Why did you specifically choose PlayStation as your partner in making that happen?

Obviously, we were attracted to the power and the feature set of PlayStation 3, but it really came down to Sony’s willingness to work with us in bringing an MMO to the platform. There have been attempts to bring MMO games to consoles in the past but we believe we’re now in a position to do it properly, using existing features on PS3 and the PlayStation Network, and collaboratively developing new features to support our vision.

Can you elaborate on your vision for a ‘proper’ MMO?

We’re breaking so much ground with DUST 514: we’re not only building a full console MMO; we’re building one that feeds into another MMO on a completely different platform [PC]. We’re breaking more ground by bringing the microtransaction business model to a console shooter for the first time. All of this was inconceivable not too long ago, and it’s the partnership between CCP and Sony that’s finally making it happen.

Talking about the connectivity between DUST 514 and EVE Online, is this something that’s going to most benefit EVE players or is there equal benefit to those players first experiencing the universe through DUST 514?

It runs both ways – you can be sure that we’re very conscious of that in our design, we run through all the different use cases constantly to ensure its well rounded. EVE Online players can continue playing just the way they are and new players can jump into DUST 514 and get a traditional shooter experience, if that’s what they like. There are aspects that are consistent between the two platforms, such as in-game currency, and there are ways that EVE Online players can impact events in DUST 514 and vice versa, all without harming the overall ecosystem.

Because we have this living universe we call EVE – a single shard server, where all EVE Online players and all DUST 514 players are literally in the same universe, not a bunch of split instances, with a huge variety of dynamics and interdependencies within the ecosystem of the sandbox we’ve created – people playing DUST 514 and people playing EVE Online are essentially providing user generated content for each other, just by their sheer presence and their actions in the game world. To give an example, for a player fighting on a planet surfaces in DUST 514, the actions of the EVE Online players can trigger epic moments and provide support that is completely user-driven. Similarly, a DUST 514 player could trigger an event from the ground and do something spectacular in EVE Online. This emergent behaviour and gameplay is only possible with our level of connectivity. These are the broad strokes, the gameplay and interactions run a lot deeper than that.

In that case, what’s to stop an EVE Online veteran blowing my corporation out of space?

We have some rules of engagement that ensure nothing drastic happens without some kind of fair warning and time to prepare, this is basically carried over and expanded upon from large scale player-driven warfare in EVE Online, where sometimes users are coordinating battles involving tens of thousands of players at once. Additionally, there are things that you can earn or build, independently in DUST 514 and / or EVE Online, or collaboratively between the two, that will mitigate those scenarios.

Putting the philosophy to one side for a moment, what is DUST 514 going to be like to play when you’re on the ground, in battle?

Essentially it’s a vehicular combat game on an extremely large scale, and then when you move into installations and outposts, it’s more infantry based. We’re using Unreal Engine 3 and we’ve incorporated a Mega Terrain engine into it that lets us create huge levels with varied terrain, with a vast array of vehicles ranging from buggies to tanks to aircraft. Typically, you would use vehicles to traverse the landscape and engage in closer combat when you deploy into outposts, but there is a huge amount of tactical freedom, way outside of those broad examples.

There’s some familiarity for players of shooters in that we have general classes or playstyles that we’ve worked out, such as light infantry and heavy weapons, but we’re hesitant to label them that way because we have something called the Fitting system – something that has been entirely ported over from EVE Online – where you can attach all manner of weapons and equipment to your character and your vehicles. It’s better to think of it like the character systems found in the deepest role-playing games; you can have the broad classes that are familiar to shooter fans, but there is massive freedom to expand on or go totally outside of them.

What’s the plan for expanding content in DUST 514?

Right off the bat, we have literally thousands of in-game items built into the system; likewise, in terms of scale, you’re looking at a conflict taking place across thousands of planets, so we’re not just talking a dozen maps – we’re talking an entire universe of planets and areas of engagement within them. That’s the difference in scale we’re looking at here, and taking our experience with EVE Online and also, some inspiration found in the best microtransaction based MMOs, social and mobile games, and we’ve set up our workflow so that we can iterate and add new content very quickly. In terms of scale, depth and volume of content, DUST 514 will easily be the biggest multiplayer FPS on the market – also by virtue of being an MMOFPS, not just an FPS.

Talk us though how your beta is going to work.

Just as we have done with EVE Online, we’re going to be telling a story with each of the events that happen in our game. To give a bit of context, in EVE Online you play as the pilot of a spaceship – a capsuleer – and in DUST 514 you play as a mercenary on the ground. It’s going to be a bit weird if, all of a sudden, we release the DUST 514 beta and all these mercenaries suddenly show up in the EVE universe, so the setting is that the first small group of players that get access to the Private Trials will be the first trial of this new mercenary technology in the context of EVE Online. Just as you’re helping to test the game in the real world, in the EVE world you’re taking part in war games organised to test this new mercenary technology.

With our Private Trials – we’re not calling it a Beta, but Private Trials in both the real world and the EVE fiction – we’re not taking the usual “on / off” method of rolling out a build and then taking it back and tweaking it, then rolling it out again; when we roll out with those first few users we are introducing mercenary technology to EVE, our “game as a service begins”, and the story will continue from there as that technology develops, further empowering the DUST 514 mercenaries from test subjects in war games to ultimately allowing them to take hold of their own future. It’s what we call a thematic rollout.

There will be people out there who will look at DUST 514 and assume it’s an EVE Online spin-off. How would you counter that?

We’re not thinking of it in that way at all, I suppose is the easiest way to respond to that. The EVE universe is comprised of three experiences: one is the classic EVE Online play, “flying in space” or what we call FIS; there’s WIS or “walking in stations”, where you can now get out of your ship and explore the interiors of space stations; and the final piece is DUST 514 and we’ve nicknamed that SIF, or “shooting in face”. None of those three are spin-offs, they’re experiences of equal value that can be played independently or fully connected. If you’re connected then you’re going to get the rich emergent gameplay that runs through all three.

We have so much to talk about, much of which is new territory for me. Is there anything we haven’t mentioned that you really want to get across to our PlayStation.Blog readers?

I hope it comes through that what we’re developing is a truly new experience on PS3 – on consoles in general. It is the deepest shooter with the richest universe ever conceived and, on top of that, by bringing to market an MMO with microtransactions, we could be changing the face of console gaming forever. This is groundbreaking stuff, but user choice is at the core – it’s playing the game however you want to play it. If you want a quick experience, you have it; if you’re looking for something deeper, it’s there. If you want to pay a very small amount of money to play, you can; if you want to be heavily invested, you can do that too. We’re providing a more extensive array of options than has ever been seen in a console game.

• Page

of 13 First / Last