Musings: So I bought a PS3

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

    Previous
  • Khab 2 Jun 2011 21:56:19 6,578 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Now, first of all, this is NOT an attempt at trolling, I just want to express some of my surprise and vent some incredulity as well as (hopefully) realise I've misunderstood something. It may sound a bit trolly, though. :)

    The other week I traded in my Wii for a PS3. This was after the PSN went down, but I wasn't that bothered, and I figured it was time. I've had a 360 since 2006 or thereabouts, and a Wii since release. But now it was time for a PS3.

    I haven't played it much, since the main reason I got one were the PSN exclusives and some other games I haven't gotten around to getting, as I had stuff to finish on the 360. Today the PSN was back up, and I decided I should jolly well have a looksee at what Sony's online service offered. First, I tried finding demos of the PSN games I wanted to get.

    I had a hard time finding the demos for some of them, which was explained when I googled about: PSN games do not neccessarily come with a demo. I actually laughed out loud at this, since it seemed completely ludicrous to me. Remember, I've had a 360 for half a decade. I didn't even consider the possibility that PSN games wouldn't have demos.

    Oh well, I'll have to read reviews and make doubly sure I want the ones I'm buying then, I thought. On to what demos there are!

    I noticed the Infamous 2 demo was released just recently, and since I have never tried it predecessor, I tohught I'd give it a quick spin.

    Yeah, right.

    Despite my 100MBit line, it took near 20 minutes to download the 2.4 gigs worth of demo. No biggie, Xbox Live can be sluggish at times as well.

    Then I actually tried playing the damn thing. Turns out I have to INSTALL the demo prior to playing it. Kind of odd - this is a console, innit? Oh well, "this shouldn't take more than a few seconds", I thought.

    Well, bugger me.

    Half an hour later, it was ready for me to play. Which I find absolutely, for realsies LOL-worthy. What a clusterfuck. When I download a demo on Live, it downloads, then it runs. When I download a demo on my PC, I download it, then it installs and (if it's a game that's smaller than 3 gigs) takes about two minutes to install.

    After trying Infamous for ten minutes and not thinking I was very interested (played like a slightly better designed Prototype) I deleted the demo. So out of my first hour of PSN, I spent 45 minutes downloading and installing, and ten to fifteen minutes actually trying out a PS3 game.

    And I am genuinely baffled. It may be that I'm spoiled, having had my 'box for so long, but come on? Is this the way it always is? Am I missing something? Are the PSN demos hidden away somewhere? Is there some box I can tick to make my PS3 play the demos as they are, right after download?

    I hope so.
  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 21:59:25
    Khab wrote:
    Despite my 100MBit line
    /is sitting here on 2Mb. On a good day

    Fucking Scandinavia...
  • nickthegun 2 Jun 2011 21:59:28 61,349 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Khab wrote:
    I spent 45 minutes downloading and installing, and ten to fifteen minutes actually trying out a PS3 game.

    Welcome to the club. Enjoy watching bars creep agonisingly slowly to the right.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 22:03:09
    There is about eight other threads this would be better placed than making a new one.
  • FWB 2 Jun 2011 22:05:56 45,653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like that this thread is new. Brightens up the front page.
  • Khab 2 Jun 2011 22:06:36 6,578 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Khab wrote:
    Despite my 100MBit line
    /is sitting here on 2Mb. On a good day

    Fucking Scandinavia...

    Well, 100Mbit is thru my cable, it's getting replaced during summer as my landlords are installing fiber. Which should improve speeds.

    I think I had a sub-2Mbit line last in... 2003? :)
  • Khab 2 Jun 2011 22:07:39 6,578 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    There is about eight other threads this would be better placed than making a new one.

    Well, I wanted my own thread, and I think I'm entitled to it. :)

    Besides, as FWB says, the front page is much too static these days.
  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 22:08:12
    I look forward to your thoughts on installing every chapter in MGS4.
  • Khab 2 Jun 2011 22:10:25 6,578 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I always thought the whinge about letting consoles be consoles and not have games install was a bit picky, but having seen this... I may reconsider.
  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 22:13:18
    Yeah, so, I decided to change my life around today and partake in some online conversation. Usually it's just me and my family and friends and I thought, no, it's time to expand my horizons.

    But it's not everything I thought it would be.

    First of all, I realised that online posters didn't necessarily listen to the comments put to them. I thought, hang on, then it's not even a conversation. What am I doing!

    I soldiered on, having needlessly compared two different things (like a div who doesn't understand paid-for services will have more perks than free services).

    But then I was shocked. Gobsmacked! I found out that online posters often had absolutely no sense of perspective, crying foul over having to unpack downloaded demos. These people thought their time was so precious that the infrastructure of major online entertainment providers (that also happen to be free) should suit them perfectly, rather than taking into account other needs! They had the temerity to complain about such minor inconveniences when, at the last count, they were lucky just to be sound of mind and body and in a position to own a piece of advanced electronics equipment at all!

    I am genuinely baffled. Is it that I am wrong to fail to expect more from a free service? Is it that I do not value my own time enough that I find other things to do, planning ahead so there is less waiting? Can I be the only person who considers that, overall, it's better to wait to unpack a compressed demo than be a homeless child raped by an alsatian?

    Will I ever answer these perplexing questions? Tune in next week, same blog-time, same blog-channel, for Captain Complaino's Clueless Question Cuntfest.
  • KayJay 2 Jun 2011 22:14:58 5,290 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Welcome to 2011.
    You have almost 9k posts and you've never seen one of the 100+ thread that covers every point you make.

    I'm the reverse to you I've only recently got my 360, but had my PS3 since launch. I'm on a 10meg line and I've never had to wait for than 10-15 minutes for anything down the PSN line (Apart from the MAG updates, they were mental).

    The fact that PSN is taking quite a bit if traffic at the moment may have something to do with your problem.

    It never been an issue for me anyhow.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 2 Jun 2011 22:18:01 7,782 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's annoying. About as annoying as the awful, brash, crass, lurid scam that masquerades as the 360 "dashboard". But yes it is shit although you find workarounds like getting your downloads queued just beforebefore MOTD.
  • Whizzo 2 Jun 2011 22:18:16 43,374 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Khab wrote:
    Despite my 100MBit line
    /is sitting here on 2Mb. On a good day

    Fucking Scandinavia...
    I remember when Khab was quite happy with his 10Mbit line.

    Admittedly that was donkey's years ago.

    /is sitting here on a 20Mb

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • HisDudness 2 Jun 2011 22:21:51 1,017 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    OP, you should also post this here. It's a great place to resolve these sorts of issues. Good luck!
  • Khab 2 Jun 2011 22:22:50 6,578 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well.

    No, I didn't expect to spend THIRTY minutes unpacking a file that my aging PC would have unpacked in two or three.

    No, I didn't expect Sony's online service to be THAT much inferior to a service which is completely comparable to the one I've been very happy with for five years (or are you suggesting that Playstation Plus-subscribers can download unzipped demos? Demos of all products? At a faster rate?)

    And Yes, I thought that maybe my having been coddled by the service I'd used for so long influenced my thoughts on the matter, and did actually say so.

    And Yes, I do have a huge number of posts, but those were made before the PSN was discussed on this here forum. :)

    -> kj66246: The download didn't take more'n 15 minutes or so, it's the install time that really made my eyes go all googly. I went off and surfed the 'net a bit and had a cup of coffee, and when I passed by the telly to get a refill after 20 minutes it was at 63%, which I found surprising, to say the least.
  • Khab 2 Jun 2011 22:25:17 6,578 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    It's annoying. About as annoying as the awful, brash, crass, lurid scam that masquerades as the 360 "dashboard". But yes it is shit although you find workarounds like getting your downloads queued just beforebefore MOTD.

    Well, yes! I can't say that Xbox Live is ideal either, but I do have to say it seems far superior to Sony's offering to me, being a late-comer to PSN. Am I weird? Those of you who've had both consoles for ages, where do you tend to get your multiplatform demos?
  • BartonFink 2 Jun 2011 22:26:14 35,126 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Khab wrote:
    Now, first of all, this is NOT an attempt at trolling, I just want to express some of my surprise and vent some incredulity as well as (hopefully) realise I've misunderstood something. It may sound a bit trolly, though. :)

    The other week I traded in my Wii for a PS3. This was after the PSN went down, but I wasn't that bothered, and I figured it was time. I've had a 360 since 2006 or thereabouts, and a Wii since release. But now it was time for a PS3.

    I haven't played it much, since the main reason I got one were the PSN exclusives and some other games I haven't gotten around to getting, as I had stuff to finish on the 360. Today the PSN was back up, and I decided I should jolly well have a looksee at what Sony's online service offered. First, I tried finding demos of the PSN games I wanted to get.

    I had a hard time finding the demos for some of them, which was explained when I googled about: PSN games do not neccessarily come with a demo. I actually laughed out loud at this, since it seemed completely ludicrous to me. Remember, I've had a 360 for half a decade. I didn't even consider the possibility that PSN games wouldn't have demos.

    Oh well, I'll have to read reviews and make doubly sure I want the ones I'm buying then, I thought. On to what demos there are!

    I noticed the Infamous 2 demo was released just recently, and since I have never tried it predecessor, I tohught I'd give it a quick spin.

    Yeah, right.

    Despite my 100MBit line, it took near 20 minutes to download the 2.4 gigs worth of demo. No biggie, Xbox Live can be sluggish at times as well.

    Then I actually tried playing the damn thing. Turns out I have to INSTALL the demo prior to playing it. Kind of odd - this is a console, innit? Oh well, "this shouldn't take more than a few seconds", I thought.

    Well, bugger me.

    Half an hour later, it was ready for me to play. Which I find absolutely, for realsies LOL-worthy. What a clusterfuck. When I download a demo on Live, it downloads, then it runs. When I download a demo on my PC, I download it, then it installs and (if it's a game that's smaller than 3 gigs) takes about two minutes to install.

    After trying Infamous for ten minutes and not thinking I was very interested (played like a slightly better designed Prototype) I deleted the demo. So out of my first hour of PSN, I spent 45 minutes downloading and installing, and ten to fifteen minutes actually trying out a PS3 game.

    And I am genuinely baffled. It may be that I'm spoiled, having had my 'box for so long, but come on? Is this the way it always is? Am I missing something? Are the PSN demos hidden away somewhere? Is there some box I can tick to make my PS3 play the demos as they are, right after download?

    I hope so.
    Have you not been following the threads about PSN for the past couple of years Khab? It's a bit of a running joke the download then install lark. Just get used to it.

    Oh and before I forget.

    Get a blog!!
  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 22:26:23
    HisDudness wrote:
    OP, you should also post this here. It's a great place to resolve these sorts of issues. Good luck!

    This link is so good that I pronounce us man and Dudness.






    Also: thanks for the support, Billy, the next one's for you!
  • Sharzam 2 Jun 2011 22:26:35 3,380 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    From what i have seen so far of PSN , i agree yes it is clunky compared to live and PC gaming as simple things take a few extra clicks or things are not as easy to access. For example if just download something on xbox you can just press the xbox button when notification pops and will be taken instantly to it to play there and then. Also not hugely responsive in general . But it may just be a cause of getting used to the Sony way as like you i have been doing the microsoft way for a while.

    HOWEVER it is worth bearing in mind that alot of people are using it at peak times at the moment as the service has only just come back online so a lot of people will be hopping on to see what there is.

    I imagine over the next few days it will improve and be nice and stable (with exception of when welcome back games come).

    On the plus side is the lack of adverts the xbox dashboard is basically just a load of adverts with one tab being useful.
    On plus side not connected to the network gubbins, i am impressed with the audio quality of the ps3 you can really tell the difference to the xbox approach of every thing in standard DD. Iam using a Onyko 508 over HDMI.

    Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

  • Khab 2 Jun 2011 22:27:49 6,578 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    HisDudness wrote:
    OP, you should also post this here. It's a great place to resolve these sorts of issues. Good luck!

    Of course! How stupid of me! I should have realised this was an inappropriate subject, as all the OTHER discussions on this forum all deal with world hunger and how to stop war.



    Oh.
  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 22:30:23
    Great post Stompy.

    PS3 really could do with a mod clearing up this section, dealing with any trolls and locking many of the threads created in the past month. Perhaps we could set up an Official 'I just bought a PS3 and lived to tell you all about it' thread so we don't end up with one every few weeks.
  • Carlo 2 Jun 2011 22:30:23 18,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Games and demos on the ps3 'installing' really just means decompressing I think.

    I get the whole 1 hour equals 10 minutes playing a shit game, but what would you say if the demo was downloaded and decompressed in say 10 minutes, and you loved it so much you bought it? There are plenty of examples where this would be the case.

    PSN ID: Djini

  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 22:33:38
    Khab wrote:
    HisDudness wrote:
    OP, you should also post this here. It's a great place to resolve these sorts of issues. Good luck!

    Of course! How stupid of me! I should have realised this was an inappropriate subject, as all the OTHER discussions on this forum all deal with world hunger and how to stop war.



    Oh.

    Hahaha, what a sterling attempt at levity! But, no, all the other discussions deal with how to stop you. 'War' is just a code word.

    Currently we're enacting two plans:
    1) Travel back in time and, seducing your mother with a strategy that's from the second Short Circuit movie - involving the least repellently nerdy of us (morriss) being told what to say by an electronic display that animates our crowdsourced tips on dating, which will almost certainly consist of FHUTA + pixel animations of penises entering double brackets flashing on the screen for the rest of the lifespan of the universe - causing a better timeline where you never existed and instead we have Juarez Juanito Morriss the Third, a more Eurogamer-friendly version who will not cry like an anaemic child who has had its penis licked by a puppy over having to wait for a complex computer device to do things that it needs to do in order that you can do the things with it you want to do.

    2) Smacking you over the back of the head with a crowbar while you read 1).
  • Sharzam 2 Jun 2011 22:34:07 3,380 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fair point VS, i am just as guilty mind but atleast i wasn't complaining about my new toy. I just wanted some advice :) oh and Wipeout soon weeeeee

    Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

  • Khab 2 Jun 2011 22:34:18 6,578 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sharzam wrote:


    On the plus side is the lack of adverts the xbox dashboard is basically just a load of adverts with one tab being useful.
    On plus side not connected to the network gubbins, i am impressed with the audio quality of the ps3 you can really tell the difference to the xbox approach of every thing in standard DD. Iam using a Onyko 508 over HDMI.

    This is very true, the PS3 seems to me also having a slightly better image quality, and it's better at streaming content from my PC as well. XMB is growing on me as well, although it seems a bit... sparse - probably due to me being used to the "everything in your face at once"-style of the dashboard. The build quality is much better than I expected too (haven't had a Sony machine since my (el fatso) PS2), I'm even getting used to the DS3:s tinyiness.

    I guess my overall good experience with the system makes PSN:s state the more jarring...
  • Khab 2 Jun 2011 22:36:34 6,578 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Stompy wrote:
    Khab wrote:
    HisDudness wrote:
    OP, you should also post this here. It's a great place to resolve these sorts of issues. Good luck!

    Of course! How stupid of me! I should have realised this was an inappropriate subject, as all the OTHER discussions on this forum all deal with world hunger and how to stop war.



    Oh.

    Hahaha, what a sterling attempt at levity! But, no, all the other discussions deal with how to stop you.

    Currently we're enacting two plans:
    1) Travel back in time and, seducing your mother with a plan that's from the second Short Circuit movie - involving the least repellently nerdy of us (morriss) being told what to say by an electronic display that displays our crowdsourced tips on dating, which will almost certainly consist of FHUTA flashing on the screen for the rest of the lifespan of the universe - causing a better timeline where you never existed and instead we have Juarez Juanito Morriss the Third, a more Eurogamer-friendly version who will not cry like an anaemic child who has had its penis licked by a puppy over having to wait for a complex computer device to do things that it needs to do in order that you can do the things with it you want to do.

    2) Smacking you over the back of the head with a crowbar while you read 1).

    I've seen morriss. He's certainly NOT the least nerdy of all forumites. So your plan will fail. Fail!

    /falls into timestream
  • Khab 2 Jun 2011 22:39:49 6,578 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    Khab wrote:

    A whole bunch

    Have you not been following the threads about PSN for the past couple of years Khab? It's a bit of a running joke the download then install lark. Just get used to it.

    No, I haven't! It's a combo of not having much time to trawl the forum at all, and then not being very interested in the PS3 stuff when I in fact was here, due to not having it.

    In retrospect, I suppose I should have checked how many complaints there had been over this in the last few years before posting. On the other hand, MY complaints are much more interesting to me than anyone else's, so what the hey. :)
  • Khab 2 Jun 2011 22:40:41 6,578 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You guys are getting old and slow, I've got three posts in a row here!

    Edit: Four, dammit!
  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 22:40:48
    Khab wrote:
    I guess my overall good experience with the system makes PSN:s state the more jarring...

    [u]
    Local man decides previously 'unbelievably poor service' is now 'pretty good'[/u]
    "I know I decried this service," says Khab Khalloway, 31, of West Buttham, "even comparing it to a nightmare I had where my toaster had a face and it told me I was fat, and the face was my face, and that face was fat, leading me to believe for some time I was fat."
    After some tears, the local man continued: "But now I know it's not as bad as that. Also, independent research has proven my toaster has no face."

    Controlled destruction of the local man is scheduled for tomorrow.
  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply