A Thread of Ice and Fire Page 11

• Page

of 45 First / Last

• Baihu1983 15 Apr 2013 10:29:24 2,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I doubt he will have the problems he had with Feast and Dragons so i cant see them taking nearly as long to finish.
  • MrDigital 17 Apr 2013 13:48:38 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So regarding the differences between the third book and third TV seasons, what do people think is going on with the Theon/Reek storyline? Is my memory failing me or did Theon being rescued and then getting away never happen in the book?

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Salaman 17 Apr 2013 14:18:28 18,237 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I was a bit confused on that as well.
    I didn't think that happenen.
  • Mola_Ram 17 Apr 2013 14:24:58 6,195 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Basically, the guy rescuing him is almost certainly Ramsey Bolton, doing it for the lulz.
  • Ror1984 17 Apr 2013 14:25:45 2,071 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've not seen any of season 3 (or even 2 yet...), but in the books, Theon knows he can't hold Winterfell so agrees with Reek's plan to go out and get him some extra men to defend the castle agains Rodrik Cassel's force. Reek/Ramsay returns with his northmen, pretends to be an ally of Ser Rodrik and then attacks them. Theon, still believing him to be some smelly servant, lets him back into Winterfell, at which point he attacks Theon's Ironmen, knocks out Theon, and puts Winterfell to the torch. Theon is taken to the Dreadfort by Ramsay and tortured.

Spoilered just in case.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• LeoliansBro 17 Apr 2013 14:25:53 41,863 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That whole side of the books is really brutal and awful.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• 4gate 17 Apr 2013 14:30:53 362 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm not watching the TV series, but I'm sure Reek isn't in book 3, he disappears for a long time, probably too long for TV, so they've just continued his story immediately and acclerated the transformation. Iirc he was imprisoned/tortured for a good few months before coming back in the books.

Edited by 4gate at 14:31:23 17-04-2013
  • PazJohnMitch 17 Apr 2013 14:35:41 7,244 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Theon story in series 2 was a little different also. (Not seen season 3 yet).
  • Ror1984 17 Apr 2013 14:48:51 2,071 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh, I guess I got the wrong end of the stick and it's Theon's escape from Winterfell that's the talking point?

In that case, under Melisandre's urging, Jon sends Mance and a handful of spearwives to save Jon's 'sister' (thinking it's Arya). Mance infiltrates the Bolton host as a bard, then tries to get Theon to help them free Arya (Jeyne). A few of the spearwives are killed in the attempt, but I don't think we find out what happened to Mance? Theon jumps from the outer curtain wall with Jeyne into thick snow and they find some Umber men (I think), who take them to Stannis' host, where Theon is reunited with Asha.

• Megapocalypse 17 Apr 2013 14:57:36 5,228 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Basically, the guy rescuing him is almost certainly Ramsey Bolton, doing it for the lulz.
    Was guessing that. The "You little barstard" line sealed it.
  • MrDigital 17 Apr 2013 15:04:50 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hmm, I need to brush up my knowledge of the books I read evidently. Anyone recommend any places to read up on concise yet detailed summaries? Or is Wikipedia as ever my best bet?

• President_Weasel 17 Apr 2013 15:12:51 8,604 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrDigital wrote:
    So regarding the differences between the third book and third TV seasons, what do people think is going on with the Theon/Reek storyline? Is my memory failing me or did Theon being rescued and then getting away never happen in the book?
    I am pretty sure that when Theon was being all PTSD in the cell he mentioned or thought back to a fake escape previously. Isn't that why he didn't want to join the escape attempt, because Bolton had faked a rescue before for shits and giggles (and to terrify him into never trying to escape)? Or maybe it was a real escape attempt that failed miserably, I can't remember.
  • MrDigital 17 Apr 2013 15:16:07 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    MrDigital wrote:
    I am pretty sure that when Theon was being all PTSD in the cell he mentioned or thought back to a fake escape previously. Isn't that why he didn't want to join the escape attempt, because Bolton had faked a rescue before for shits and giggles (and to terrify him into never trying to escape)? Or maybe it was a real escape attempt that failed miserably, I can't remember.
    Yeah I just don't remember the fake escape very well and my gut tells me it didn't happen like this.

Edited by MrDigital at 15:16:16 17-04-2013

• Mola_Ram 17 Apr 2013 15:18:30 6,195 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    It's pretty cool, actually. Assuming that that character is actually Bolton, it paints him as even more twisted than the book character. Killing his own men just to prolong his fun and fuck with Theon's mind, only to presumably dash his hopes at the last second. Complete psycho!
  • Ror1984 17 Apr 2013 15:20:05 2,071 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @GameOverYeah Yeah, I remember that part of Ramsay's letter, but as we can't say for sure whether it's truthful or not, I decided to omit it. But then, he must have tortured either Mance or the women to know who Mance is - as they all thought he was some travelling singer beforehand. So you're probably right in saying there's truth in at least that part of Ramsay's letter.

@President_Weasel Yeah, Ramsay allowed Kyra (previously Theon's 'bed warmer') to find a set of keys and allowed her to free Theon and try to escape. He then hunted them with his dogs.

• stryker1121 17 Apr 2013 17:31:43 598 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    It's pretty cool, actually. Assuming that that character is actually Bolton, it paints him as even more twisted than the book character. Killing his own men just to prolong his fun and fuck with Theon's mind, only to presumably dash his hopes at the last second. Complete psycho!
    The rescue scenes from the show confused me a bit, but you're almost certainly right about Ramsay just fucking w/ Theon at this point. If you recall from the books, after Theon loses Winterfell, he disappears until Book 5, and it's not evident right away that Theon has become Reek. So changing it up on the show makes sense; HBO is not going to have Alfie Allen sitting on the sidelines for 2 seasons.

Edited by stryker1121 at 17:33:59 17-04-2013
  • Shikasama 17 Apr 2013 17:41:58 6,272 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Why is everything so heavily spoilered in the books thread? I'm going to buck the trend and ruin the series for you all.

NED STARK DIES!
  • masc.box 17 Apr 2013 17:54:23 68 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Why is everything so heavily spoilered in the books thread? I'm going to buck the trend and ruin the series for you all.

NED STARK DIES!
    You bastard.
    jk
  • Baihu1983 18 Apr 2013 17:00:00 2,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Mr-Brett 18 Apr 2013 17:14:17 12,676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Why is everything so heavily spoilered in the books thread?
    The thread doesn't state that it's for only those that have read all the books. So conceivably there are people out there that are still reading through and would like to discuss things.

Portable view - Never forget.

• President_Weasel 18 Apr 2013 17:16:58 8,604 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Although there's a statute of limitations on spoilers - unfortunately it's pretty vague. Books that have been out for more than a year though, I don't think we should be particularly punctilious about not spoilering.
  • Metalfish 18 Apr 2013 18:17:18 8,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think GoT does well out of its unpredictability, so that statue should probably be enforced for as long as you can help it. Of course, if someone is played by Sean Bean....
  • Baihu1983 18 Apr 2013 18:29:30 2,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Think Ive seen Bean survive 3 films

Troy
    Silent Hill and Cleanskin
  • shamblemonkee 18 Apr 2013 19:05:22 14,036 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Mr-Brett true but by that lOgic everything bar content from page 1 book 1 could be considered spoiler.

I think it's fair to treat it like the tv show threads where anything that's been shown is considered fair game.
  • Baihu1983 18 Apr 2013 19:51:17 2,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MrDigital wrote:
    So regarding the differences between the third book and third TV seasons, what do people think is going on with the Theon/Reek storyline? Is my memory failing me or did Theon being rescued and then getting .

Reek is not in the show. That's Ramsay ''helping'' Theon. This is all part of his game with Theon. In Dance with Dragons Theon says to himself several times about be let free as a trick by Ramsey.
  • Ror1984 18 Apr 2013 20:18:43 2,071 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Baihu1983 He also survives the second Silent Hill film. I nearly didn't though.

• Baihu1983 18 Apr 2013 20:25:34 2,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Not seen that yet as Ive heard nothing but meh which is a shame because i thought the first was good.
  • Ror1984 18 Apr 2013 21:03:20 2,071 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I liked the first one too, they got quite a lot right. The second one was just... I'd advise you not to even bother, but you can only find out for yourself.

• Page

of 45 First / Last