A Thread of Ice and Fire

• Page

of 62 First / Last

Previous
  • Mr-Brett 1 Jun 2011 16:13:54 12,799 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This thread is a sanctuary for those of the book-reading nature and to prevent civil war in the Game of Thrones TV thread.

Enjoy.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• mcmonkeyplc 1 Jun 2011 16:22:45 39,458 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How far into the book is the TV series now? Page numbers/ Chapter is all I'm after here.

Thanks

Come and get it cumslingers!

• ronuds 1 Jun 2011 16:24:12 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do the dragon eggs hatch in the books? Someone gave me an answer in the "other" thread, but I had no idea what he was talking about.

I want dragons, damn it! :p
  • mcmonkeyplc 1 Jun 2011 16:25:11 39,458 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Put both answers in spoilers!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• ronuds 1 Jun 2011 16:26:52 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, if you value life!
  • Blaketown 1 Jun 2011 16:39:45 4,652 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Do the dragon eggs hatch in the books? Someone gave me an answer in the "other" thread, but I had no idea what he was talking about.

Glad it wasn't just me then.

Gibberish.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• magicpanda 1 Jun 2011 16:51:09 13,367 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    How far into the book is the TV series now? Page numbers/ Chapter is all I'm after here.

Thanks

Good question, I'm about halfway through the first book not seen the series yet.
  • Kuronos23 2 Jun 2011 10:50:43 133 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ronuds wrote:

I want dragons, damn it! :p

Spoiler if you fancy spoiling yourself. This is a spoiler. (Spoiler!)

Yes.
  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 10:59:01 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The thing in the other thread was "Chekhov's Eggs", a reference to the "Chekhov's Gun" plot device. Basically, if you show a gun early in a show or series, it's always for a purpose. So what he was saying was, there's no point showing dragon eggs if they're not going to eventually hatch.

And they do. Eventually.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Jun 2011 11:07:49 44,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Genji, how have you managed to read these monstrously long books so quickly?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Genji 2 Jun 2011 11:10:12 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Uhh... I just do? I've always been a fast reader, particularly when I find something enjoyable.

It's quite necessary in the scholarly kind of life I'm pursuing at the moment.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Jun 2011 11:11:29 44,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, but these are like 1,000 pages long each and you got through them in less than a month. Baffling speed!

• Genji 2 Jun 2011 11:17:34 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /shrug

Sorry, I couldn't tell you how it works. I just read quickly.

I don't read every single word, mind. I just instinctively extract the most useful information from a page, and go with that. It's not "skimming", because I do follow the story quite closely. But some details pass me by.

It depends on the book, really. I found this series quite "moreish", so it was easy to keep going. But right now I'm reading Blood Meridian, and I can't go for more than about 10 pages at a time. It's a bit fucked up, that one.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Jun 2011 11:23:37 44,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah fair enough. I've devoured books before, and I read very quickly myself. Prefer to get all of the nuance out of the text myself, but each to their own.

• Genji 2 Jun 2011 11:26:40 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If I read it again, I'll probably take more time to let the descriptions of places and things soak in.

I do get a lot of that during my initial readings, but in books like these I guess I'm not too concerned with the beauty of the language or anything. I just want to know what happens next.
  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 11:27:46 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I must say, I hope the TV series gets up to the Red Wedding. That shit was absolutely shocking.
  • Lexx87 2 Jun 2011 11:35:49 20,869 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, as shocking as you know then. As you didn't read any of the detailed bits.

Just find that all a bit mad to be honest! Reading is a joy and half reading every page sounds like the worst way to read a book ever.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Genji 2 Jun 2011 11:43:19 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Well, as shocking as you know then. As you didn't read any of the detailed bits.

Just find that all a bit mad to be honest! Reading is a joy and half reading every page sounds like the worst way to read a book ever.
    I'm not explaining myself very well, it seems.

I do get the vast majority of the words and the detail in there. If I miss something, or something catches my eye, I go back and read it thoroughly.

I think I get as much enjoyment out of a book as your average reader. I just do it... faster. Maybe that doesn't work for you, or maybe you don't think it's a "good" way to read, but that's how it is with me. Everyone reads differently!
  • morriss 2 Jun 2011 11:46:48 71,002 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Genji wrote:

omfg, that sentence is fucking dsgusting.
  • morriss 2 Jun 2011 11:48:40 71,002 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Let us know when you pursue the artistic kind of life. Or the pious, or the minimalist etc. etc.
  • morriss 2 Jun 2011 11:49:26 71,002 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    Everyone reads differently!
    No they don't.
  • Lexx87 2 Jun 2011 11:52:36 20,869 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    but in books like these I guess I'm not too concerned with the beauty of the language or anything. I just want to know what happens next.

I just mean why don't you read a synopsis somewhere and just not bother with the annoying book part getting in the way :p

Speak the truth hussy!

• Genji 2 Jun 2011 11:57:10 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Genji wrote:
    but in books like these I guess I'm not too concerned with the beauty of the language or anything. I just want to know what happens next.

I just mean why don't you read a synopsis somewhere and just not bother with the annoying book part getting in the way :p
    Because I like dialogue, characters, and descriptions just the same as anyone else. I just seem to process them and move on faster.

The thing you quoted was a misjudged comment from me. I didn't really mean it as if I don't care about anything except what happens in the story. What I meant was that I don't pore over every single word in something like this, as opposed to, say, short stories of James Joyce.

Now I'm being all contradictory and everything. Sorry. It really is quite difficult to explain how I read things. I've never really thought about it before.
  • Tom_Servo 2 Jun 2011 12:06:30 17,962 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Genji wrote:

omfg, that sentence is fucking dsgusting.

:D
  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 12:09:20
    Genji wrote:
    It's not "skimming", because I do follow the story quite closely. But some details pass me by.

So it is actually skimming then.
  • Tom_Servo 2 Jun 2011 12:09:52 17,962 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    Lexx87 wrote:

I'm not explaining myself very well, it seems.

I do get the vast majority of the words and the detail in there. If I miss something, or something catches my eye, I go back and read it thoroughly.

I think I get as much enjoyment out of a book as your average reader. I just do it... faster. Maybe that doesn't work for you, or maybe you don't think it's a "good" way to read, but that's how it is with me. Everyone reads differently!

Yeah Lexx, maybe you're just a simpleton.
  • Deleted user 2 June 2011 12:11:41
    I occasionally only read every third word in a book and ignore the rest. Makes it more intriguing, like there's an injunction on it.
  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 12:11:58 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Genji wrote:
    It's not "skimming", because I do follow the story quite closely. But some details pass me by.

So it is actually skimming then.
    To an extent, I suppose. Like I said, I'm not explaining myself very well here. :(
  • Genji 2 Jun 2011 12:12:42 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Genji is a twat
    What?
  • Page

of 62 First / Last

Previous