Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror Page 10

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• sport 12 Feb 2013 08:29:47 12,667 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    If it had been a Philip K. Dick story Fake Ash would have pushed Martha off the cliff and had his own simulacrum sent to replace her.
    Brilliant.
  • Scurrminator 12 Feb 2013 08:30:41 8,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    so...is someone going to make a looping gif of 'those' scenes or what?

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• graysonavich 12 Feb 2013 08:58:21 7,319 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The drawing tablet and the phones looked pretty cool, but did the references to Twitter, Facebook etc seem so disconnected and forced to anyone else? Genuine LOL when they name checked them.
  • Ka-blamo 12 Feb 2013 09:19:52 7,306 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You lot really are hard to please :)

I thought it was great.
  • sport 12 Feb 2013 09:28:22 12,667 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was pretty pleased, especially the "hand on tit" scene - what a pair! phwooaarr!
  • MetalDog 12 Feb 2013 10:00:03 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought it was pretty good. I thought it was going a different direction though - the whole idea was deeply exploitative of grief for cash and 'psychics' were namechecked early on so I really thought it would go that way. I expected every flaw she noticed to prompt a hard sell for an upgrade and end with her friendless, homeless and planning a robbery to pay for the next level of Ash.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• sport 12 Feb 2013 10:03:19 12,667 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You're sick and twisted MD!
  • ZuluHero 12 Feb 2013 10:16:11 4,093 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess I took it more literally about how people deal with grief. Before it all happened, when she was asking about his photo. Ash told her that it wasn't real, that it was a snapshot of fake happiness. And said that his mother just moved all the other photos of his dead family up into the attic so she didn't have the reminder and could move on.

With his fragmented personality, a snapshot of fake happiness, essentially he was no more real than a photo. He was only 'alive' while she was looking at him and talking to him. In between, he might as well have been sitting on the mantelpiece. In the end, he ended up in the attic as well. With all the old photos. And sure, while someone might pop up into the attic and take a look at the old photo's from time to time, taken by a moment of nostalgia or sadness, by and large they're mostly forgotten about.

Which is why I think the photo featured so heavily, for the viewer to draw parallels. I never once saw a invasion of the body snatchers meets iRobot, but then I pretty much tune out watching TV. Disbelief suspended :)

Edited by ZuluHero at 10:18:17 12-02-2013
  • MetalDog 12 Feb 2013 10:25:30 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That does make perfect sense, but I lean towards darker waters =)

While I was watching it, I kept thinking of these text logs I have of a chap I used to talk to online in a MUSH. It wasn't romantic, he was just a friend who was hellofa fun to chat with. The last log is us arranging our next meet up, the day, the time. Never saw him again, neither did anyone else. All efforts to contact him turned up blank and his online presence died out as payments expired. I knew he was old and had liver trouble of a serious sort and I think he died.

Reading those logs in the years since, while I'm reading them, it's like he's there again. It's surreal how alive they make him seem. I don't read them anymore.

• Deleted user 12 February 2013 10:30:47
    ZuluHero wrote:
    I guess I took it more literally about how people deal with grief. Before it all happened, when she was asking about his photo. Ash told her that it wasn't real, that it was a snapshot of fake happiness. And said that his mother just moved all the other photos of his dead family up into the attic so she didn't have the reminder and could move on.

With his fragmented personality, a snapshot of fake happiness, essentially he was no more real than a photo. He was only 'alive' while she was looking at him and talking to him. In between, he might as well have been sitting on the mantelpiece. In the end, he ended up in the attic as well. With all the old photos. And sure, while someone might pop up into the attic and take a look at the old photo's from time to time, taken by a moment of nostalgia or sadness, by and large they're mostly forgotten about.

Which is why I think the photo featured so heavily, for the viewer to draw parallels. I never once saw a invasion of the body snatchers meets iRobot, but then I pretty much tune out watching TV. Disbelief suspended :)
    That's a really good way of looking at it and actually makes perfect sense. I was quite tired when I watched it last night and couldn't quite work out the message, although I still enjoyed it.

The photograph analogy works perfect.
  • ZuluHero 12 Feb 2013 10:31:00 4,093 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I sort of understand. A real life friend died at the end of 2011, I still have his number and texts on my phone he is still on my MSN contact list. I can't bring myself to delete them. It's weird how alive it makes the person. Black Mirror took that to the next level.
  • Scurrminator 12 Feb 2013 10:33:02 8,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:

I must have been so tired to not get this!
    Thanks for that!

• graysonavich 12 Feb 2013 10:33:08 7,319 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The trailers (that I saw) made it look far more haunting. A twist along the lines of "there's no one upstairs" when the sister comes for tea would have been nice and creepy to develop on. Rather than playing dress up with a talking real doll from facebook.
  • MetalDog 12 Feb 2013 10:34:40 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had a RL friend die late 2011 as well. I've did a kind of purge a few months back and I'm still chucking things as I find them. I may regret it at some point, but... after Seraph, I don't think so. It's like picking at a scab. I'd imagine its different for everyone though - what's right for one person would be wrong for another and you have to work out what's what for yourself.

• sport 12 Feb 2013 10:39:33 12,667 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great explanation Zulu.
  • brokenkey 12 Feb 2013 12:04:57 6,975 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Zulu = Charlie Brooker.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Scimarad 12 Feb 2013 12:28:50 8,535 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @MetalDog

I liked it but I've got to say, your idea is more Black Mirror than Black Mirror was! I would have quite liked to watch that.
  • ram 12 Feb 2013 12:46:40 3,476 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Call me old fashioned, but I couldn't make the leap of logic from husband dying suddenly to banging a robot with an on/off dick in a couple of weeks.

And call me old fashioned again, but wouldn't it slightly damage her prospects of future romance?

"So love, great second date, any skeletons in the closet I should know about haha?"
  • Scimarad 12 Feb 2013 12:55:52 8,535 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I may not be remembering it correctly but I think quite a lot of time had gone past before she got to that point. She'd already become pretty dependant on the phone version so I'm not sure going 'full robo' was that much of a leap at that point.

I'm not really convinced by the idea that you could have a robot that realistic and fully functional but I just shrugged an went with it.

The story that is, not the robot!
  • ram 12 Feb 2013 12:58:00 3,476 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    full robo, you should TM that.
  • graysonavich 12 Feb 2013 12:59:01 7,319 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    full robo no homo #yolo
  • Scimarad 12 Feb 2013 13:00:32 8,535 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I'm betting sex-bots are going to catch on in a big way in that world!
  • ZuluHero 12 Feb 2013 13:07:07 4,093 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    electro gonorrhoea, the noisy killer...
  • MetalDog 12 Feb 2013 13:15:25 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Goddamn socket-jockeys.

• Whizzo 12 Feb 2013 14:00:53 43,057 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago

This space left intentionally blank.

• Scurrminator 18 Feb 2013 23:01:27 8,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Another one hit out the park. That was great. So tense.
    Though I'd kind of pieced it together before the reveal.

• Scimarad 18 Feb 2013 23:03:06 8,535 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That was definitely back in fucked up territory:)
  • Ka-blamo 18 Feb 2013 23:03:37 7,306 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Delivered.
  • Ashwood 18 Feb 2013 23:03:46 401 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, enjoyed that. Love that Irish actor, can't remember his name, good to see him back on the box.
  • graysonavich 18 Feb 2013 23:04:34 7,319 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Could have done with being half an hour really. Nice reveal though!

Sugar is (normally) so sexy :D
  • Page

of 11 First / Last