Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror Page 6

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• nickthegun 12 Dec 2011 15:17:05 58,859 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did actually lol when he finished his 'FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU!' rant only to be met with 'That was........................'.

The crushing futility of it all was almost unbearable. You really hoped that the girl would have walked into shot during the final scene, but he just settled for the perks of being famous.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Fatiguez 12 Dec 2011 16:28:47 8,707 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    i agree with Scimarad; some more information about the outside world would perhaps have given me more sympathy for the characters, as it was it was a glossy, fairly entertaining 1984 with a playstation upgrade and a nicer ending.
    Dunno if I'd call that a nicer ending personally!

Anyway, I figured out what was wrong with the 4oD player: for some reason, the UI doesn't vanish if you keep the mouse idle below it (in the big black bit at the bottom) - only if you place it somewhere in the middle. As stupid as I feel about this, I'm still going to blame the player because why the fuck is it like that
  • nickthegun 12 Dec 2011 16:29:45 58,859 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, that was a horrible ending!

He totally called it

• dufftownallan 12 Dec 2011 16:55:41 4,723 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    surely better than having rats try and claw your eyeballs out and then put back into the same dystopian present whilst having absolutely all hope completely removed from your life?
    (spoilered for those who have not yet read 1984)
  • Scimarad 12 Dec 2011 17:25:19 8,530 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can see it both ways, TBH. While 1984 was certainly horrible, there was a certain horror about the utter inevitability and ease of their hijacking of his little rebellion and the way he sort of just gave in of his own free will, ending up promoting (and profiting from) this system he obviously hated.

Anybody else wonder if that window at the end was real or am I just being daft?
  • Fatiguez 12 Dec 2011 17:29:49 8,707 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bear in mind that at the end of 1984 (as far as I can remember), the main guy has been brainwashed and is totally into Big Brother. In that sense, his personal ending is 'happier' than Bing's
  • nickthegun 12 Dec 2011 17:36:34 58,859 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    It was an upgraded vid screen, one of the things he decried as 'shit' when he was trying to convince abi to let him buy her a ticket. A final statement that he just went with it.

He totally called it

• Fatiguez 12 Dec 2011 17:39:05 8,707 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, I missed that! I did think it was fake, as Scim did, but I didn't realise they'd talked about it earlier. Neato

Edited by Fatiguez at 17:39:54 12-12-2011
  • dufftownallan 12 Dec 2011 18:24:59 4,723 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    i suppose i meant nicer from the point of view of the protagonist; he took on the system and is now profiting from it. there are a LOT of interpretations you can take from it, i'm still struggling to find the significance in the prick on the bike who was horrible to everyone and had amassed about 22million merits, i'd love to know more about the world he lives in so that we could give his character some context.

i think the point of the story is that the best you can do is try and make the world work for you, there are no heroes, there are no significant moments in life where you're triumphant, you can luck in on a talent and get paid proportionally better for it than your peers, but the system will always work, there will never be an uprising.
  • Fatiguez 12 Dec 2011 18:31:23 8,707 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well I dunno, I really don't see it like that. Before Abi went on the show, it was pretty apparent that he had no interest in profiting from the system. Speaking personally, I'd rather have the manufactured, brainwashed happiness that the guy has at the end of 1984 than to end up in Bing's situation - sentient, alone, and consciously part of the system. I might be misremembering the end of 1984, I've only read it once and quite a while ago, but even from the protagonist's point of view I think Brooker's thing had a bleaker ending

Edited by Fatiguez at 18:31:55 12-12-2011
  • Fatiguez 12 Dec 2011 18:39:33 8,707 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I fixed that now (by stopping being a moron)
  • Fatiguez 12 Dec 2011 18:56:03 8,707 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I'm not sure where the 1984 comparisons came from, someone brought it up and I just felt that, in terms of endings, this thing was bleaker. I haven't read Brave New World or any other stuff like that so I can't draw any ties personally
  • Ginger 12 Dec 2011 19:10:23 6,827 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I did actually lol when he finished his 'FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU!' rant only to be met with 'That was........................'.

The crushing futility of it all was almost unbearable. You really hoped that the girl would have walked into shot during the final scene, but he just settled for the perks of being famous.

Yup, it was the ease with which he switched over to being part of the system after all, with none of the cuppliance that I think was the thing that gave it the edge.

London open taekwondo champion

• Futaba 12 Dec 2011 19:25:04 3,462 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Even if he did profit from the system, he still sold out his values and lost his dignity doing it. I don't really see that as a positive ending for Bing.

You could say he didn't have a choice in that it would be impossible to change anything. However if everyone believes that, then even if there was a small chance to change things, that chance disappears. Even if he couldn't have changed things there and then on his own, just standing up to them might lead to future revolts. By falling in line and backing off he's enforced their power and stranglehold they have over the people on the bikes.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• mal 12 Dec 2011 20:09:59 22,341 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just watched it on 40D (where the distinctly average resolution when fullscreen helped make the screens at the end look even more fake. Much better pacing that last week, and a decent sci-fi, even if it didn't really hit home as a satire of x-factor stuff, like it was billed.

dufftownallan wrote:
    i suppose i meant nicer from the point of view of the protagonist; he took on the system and is now profiting from it. there are a LOT of interpretations you can take from it, i'm still struggling to find the significance in the prick on the bike who was horrible to everyone and had amassed about 22million merits, i'd love to know more about the world he lives in so that we could give his character some context.
    I think he's just there to represent 'people'. There are three classes of people, those on bikes, those presumably consuming the power from the people on bikes in pampered luxury, and those who ate to much and pedalled to little, and either get shown on vacuous comedy shows and laughed at by 'people' or become cleaners and get shouted at by 'people'.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• localnotail 12 Dec 2011 20:13:44 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sweaty bike bloke was the unquestioning acceptance and contented consumption of the system. Cock.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Scimarad 12 Dec 2011 20:21:53 8,530 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @hiddenranbir

I think you're right on BNW, aside from the fact that the people in that story are largely having a great time all the time:)

Of course a lot of the people in 15MM were probably content with the crappy TV, videogames and the lack of complex worries.

So yeah, a lot like BNW come to think of it.
  • Orange 12 Dec 2011 23:40:20 4,669 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Much better than the first week which felt like a 'what if' sentence from his guardian column stretched to fit a TV episode.

Bing = Brooker.

Looking forward to the next one, written by one of the writers of The Thick of It.
  • Ka-blamo 13 Dec 2011 00:00:45 7,292 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Orange Thought it was a Peep show writer? unless they're the same person.
  • mal 13 Dec 2011 00:28:01 22,341 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The one and same.

Orange wrote:
    Bing = Brooker.
    This is apparently what the cognoscenti on twitbook are saying. Having seen it now, I think it'd be hard to say the ending isn't at least a coincidence.

• Fatiguez 13 Dec 2011 00:33:25 8,707 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The big ol' rant he had at the judges really did seem like Brooker projecting himself in the script, couldn't shake that feeling while the actor was yelling away
  • richarddavies 13 Dec 2011 09:30:00 2,581 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I "tried" to watch this last night with the missus and couldn't get through it all. I got to the part where the bird auditions and turned it off. I don't mind a minimalist approach if I find the story engaging but I couldn't of been less interested so the fact that fuck all were happening in the story didn't help matters. I'll put it on again during the week and try and finish it off though.
  • AaronTurner 13 Dec 2011 09:37:09 7,595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    I can see it both ways, TBH. While 1984 was certainly horrible, there was a certain horror about the utter inevitability and ease of their hijacking of his little rebellion and the way he sort of just gave in of his own free will, ending up promoting (and profiting from) this system he obviously hated.

The window at the end was real, the perspective changed with the camera position.
  • mal 13 Dec 2011 09:40:49 22,341 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /crosses richarddavies off the 'wine and roses' list.

• Lukus 13 Dec 2011 09:51:10 18,999 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd have liked to have known more about the wider world. Why they had to peddle bikes to create power. What the power was going to- was it literally just all the app shit, or was it other stuff too.

As it was, I found it hard to accept, even as a metaphor.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 13 December 2011 09:54:22
    Fuck all was happening? ADD much? :D
  • Page

of 11 First / Last