3DS eShop Page 39

• Page

of 53 First / Last

• Raiko101 6 May 2013 19:10:44 6,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A big update to this weeks eShop, with one major new title up for grabs! Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move is going for 8.99. It includes 180 levels and even a level editor. I wasn't actually that big a fan of the GBA game, but this seems quite different, so I might well have to pick it up.

It would appear that the Guild 02 games are also on their way, already, as The Starship Damrey is going on sale for 7.19. I know nothing about this one, but the 3 games from Guild 01 were all well recieved, so it's surely worth having a look.

The rest of the list can be found here.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• jonsaan 6 May 2013 19:13:04 25,333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has the new Mario minis game got direct Mario control? Or is it the stylus driven stuff again?

FCUTA!

• Raiko101 6 May 2013 19:16:47 6,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think so. At least not for the standard mode. This one seems to involve building a route through a stage for the mini's to follow. Quite different to the GBA one. I've not played the DS version. I have no idea what that was like.

• jonsaan 6 May 2013 19:17:24 25,333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Woa. A quick google reveals an all new style, seems very puzzle driven and colour me interested.

FCUTA!

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 6 May 2013 19:21:38 6,654 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just bought Mario 1. Jesus, 3 lives and that's your lot!1
  • Wavey 6 May 2013 19:26:00 354 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just been playing Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo. Very fun little platformer and a steal for 5!!
  • Wavey 6 May 2013 19:26:00 354 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • addyb 6 May 2013 19:32:21 1,045 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wavey wrote:
    Just been playing Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo. Very fun little platformer and a steal for 5!!
    Good to hear. I liked the look of the trailer but not pulled the trigger yet.
  • Raiko101 6 May 2013 19:34:02 6,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've heard good things about Super Little Acorns 3D, actually. Unfortunately the art-style makes it look like shovelware.

• addyb 6 May 2013 19:36:29 1,045 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I've heard good things about Super Little Acorns 3D, actually. Unfortunately the art-style makes it look like shovelware.
    This is what's stopped me. Looks like an iPad game
  • Raiko101 7 May 2013 11:43:18 6,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So it looks like The Starship Damrey's release has now been put back a week. Not sure what kind of game it's meant to be.

• addyb 7 May 2013 22:34:51 1,045 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just gone for a nes double of Castlevania and Mega man 2.
    2 of my favourite games back in the day :)
  • redcrayon 7 May 2013 22:54:06 4,552 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Awesome games with great music :-)

You won't go far wrong with Megaman 3 if you like those.
  • addyb 7 May 2013 22:57:21 1,045 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    redcrayon wrote:
    Awesome games with great music :-)

You won't go far wrong with Megaman 3 if you like those.
    I can't remember if I ever played number 3. I definitely did 1&2. I remember playing the original after MM2 and thought it paled in comparison.

Absolutely love the music on the Airman and Woodman levels.

Edited by addyb at 22:58:29 07-05-2013
  • Raiko101 7 May 2013 23:35:51 6,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Castlevania in bed, with headphones, with the lights off. My girlfriend hates me for it, but it's so damn good.

• JinTypeNoir 8 May 2013 02:26:41 4,369 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Next week on the Japanese e-shop: 3D Sonic the Hedgehog! The original Mega Drive version gets updated with 3D. It also has the spin dash (presumably the one from Sonic 2) added to it, a save and stage select function. You can also customize the level of 3D, how the game is displayed, whether you want the spin dash or not and pick between the Japanese and overseas version of the game in the options.

Weird how the e-shop gets XI (Devil Dice) this week and Sonic next week. 3DS! Stealing the past from all consoles equally!

Raiko101, I talked a little bit about Damrey (and the other Guild 02 titles) in the quirky 3DS games thread, but its best if you don't know anything about it before you buy it.
  • mal 8 May 2013 02:42:59 22,403 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Devil Dice? I didn't know the 3DS was getting PS1 games.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Raiko101 8 May 2013 02:58:03 6,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Damn man. When are we getting these Sega 3D Classics?! 3D Sonic sounds amazing. Is it full screen?

• JinTypeNoir 8 May 2013 04:00:11 4,369 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Raiko, I don't know about full screen but I suppose its possible, all I see is an option for normal and CRT mode.

mal wrote:
    Devil Dice? I didn't know the 3DS was getting PS1 games.
    Bizarrely enough, it hasn't been the 3DS, but DSiWare has been getting ports of late era PS1 visual novels. That above was a joke though. This week Arc System Works released a puzzle game called Korokesu. Take a look at this and tell me it is not Devil Dice in everything but name.

Either Arc got the original creators to make a new one for them, but couldn't get the name, or this is plagiarism of the likes you usually only see in China.

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 04:00:54 08-05-2013
  • jonsaan 8 May 2013 07:18:24 25,333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Won't spin dash break the level design of sonic 1?

FCUTA!

• mikew1985 8 May 2013 08:59:33 12,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    Won't spin dash break the level design of sonic 1?
    Level design? Sonic?

Lol.
  • DFawkes 8 May 2013 10:10:00 22,750 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I always felt the level design in Sonic 1 was pretty decent. It certainly was designed though. Even terrible levels are designed. Regardless, I'm almost certain I've played a web-based Sonic 1 remake with Spin Dash and it didn't really change the game as much as I thought it would. Certainly didn't break it during normal gameplay, though obviously someone really trying to push the boundries will most likely find the cracks ;)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• JinTypeNoir 8 May 2013 10:42:35 4,369 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Way back on the Saturn, Sonic Jam added the spin dash to the original, so even Sonic Team doesn't think its that big of a deal.

And if anything, the levels had a bit too much design in them in the original, in that they tried a little too hard to differentiate the mechanics in each world and Sonic going fast didn't happen very often as a result.
  • YenRug 8 May 2013 13:37:55 2,100 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @JinTypeNoir

What kind of game is Damrey, though? Not sure if the scenes in the trailer are just cinematics, or if it's actual gameplay; I've read, somewhere, that it is essentially up to you to experiment with no feedback, other than the obervable results of your actions, but no mention of how it is played.
  • JinTypeNoir 8 May 2013 14:54:54 4,369 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Again, I refer you to what I said in the quirky 3DS games thread, I can't give any more detail than that:

"The Starship Damley, on the other hand...the less I say about that the better. The creator said that they want gamers to figure it out without any help or tutorials and sure enough, the first part of the game is a wild exercise. I was so confused. It was delicious. I felt like I had timewarped into a DOS game I found in my dad's desk drawer and had no idea how to play.

Things changed after that first segment, but I am not going to tell you how, why, how much or anything else. It may be important that I do not. It may end up saving the giraffes in the end. Oh, the giraffes.

Anyway, I think The Monsters Come Out On Fridays has no plans for localization, but Level 5 seems to be thinking about bringing over The Starship Damley. If you like old text adventures or old adventure games in general, and you enjoy tense horror games that are more about the atmosphere than anything else, you may get a real kick out of it, or you may not. I cannot tell you; it wouldn't be ethical. Don't take this to mean it has some awe-inspiring awesome story that changes your life. I don't think it does. I don't know that it doesn't. It doesn't know that I don't know, right?

If you have the funds and the mood to just try something you might like, it could be a great experience for you. Or not. Or it could just be a really well-rendered 3D carrot. Or not."

I guess I could say if you ever wanted something to feel like an Infocom text adventure taken into this century, I think this is as close as it gets (but it isn't a text adventure).
  • YenRug 8 May 2013 15:15:39 2,100 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    (but it isn't a text adventure).
    That was kind of the thing I was trying to confirm, what I've read did suggest it could be one of the Japanese electronic adventure "books/novels" (can't recall the name they're given, just that it's not "e-book") with cinematics; I'm thinking more along the lines of graphic adventure but without the illogical item usage you usually get.

I noticed you called it Damley, whilst everything else seems to call it Damrey; is that a deliberate play on the Japanese difficulty with pronouncing r's vs l's, by the developers, or just a typo on your part?
  • JinTypeNoir 8 May 2013 15:36:44 4,369 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Damley, Damrey, its the exact same sound in my mind and unlike something like Fire Emblem, where I've seen it a lot of times in English, there are many titles and names I've not seen much in English before, so I just assign an L or R to them randomly. There is no reference to the starship's name in English that I can remember in the Japanese version.

What you might be thinking of is visual novel. It's a really tricky term since the person who made this game was involved with founding the genre in a game that the developers copyrighted as a sound novel. Since it was copyrighted, those that came after called their games visual novels so as not to get sued by Chunsoft. Contrary to popular belief some visual novels do have slight gameplay or puzzles in them, but what differentiates them from adventure games is static text that overlays an image and nearly all plot development being furthered by text. Too much animation or too much gameplay and it becomes an adventure game. So its hilarious when I hear people claim Ghost Trick or Phoenix Wright are visual novels.

I should do a thread about visual novels you can find in English.
  • YenRug 8 May 2013 16:20:01 2,100 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Visual Novel was the phrase I was thinking, whilst I suspect it would have just been coined as e-book in English, with someone just looking for an easy phrase that slipped off the tongue.

Damrey does seem to be the spelling that's been settled on for the English release; does it have an actual meaning, in Japanese, as I can't say I've come across it before?
  • JinTypeNoir 8 May 2013 17:51:52 4,369 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, it doesn't have any specific meaning in Japanese that it wouldn't have unless someone explained it to you in any language.
  • Raiko101 9 May 2013 15:43:10 6,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not sure how much it's really worth, but I had another go on 3D Classics: Excitebike last night, having recently got into it again on the Wii U. What a great little remake. The widescreen and 3D visuals really help improve on the original without sacrificing any of the charm. It's such a shame that no multiplayer was ever implemented.

I really hope we see that Wiiware Excitebike come out on the eShop some day.

• Page

of 53 First / Last