The Newsroom Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Charlie_Miso 27 Jun 2012 04:56:54 1,191 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No one else catch this?

Was OK, hoping it would be a bit better. Don't like how it's set a few years ago, 2010 I think but I guess it helps with real events.

Will watch next week, but no sure how much of that is my general love of media stuff or the quality of the show.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 28 Jun 2012 09:15:41 7,386 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To me the writing felt very different than The West Wing, Studio 60, etc. The pacy, back and forth dialogue wasn't there, but was instead replaced by more greek-style monologues. Maybe deliberately. Still, was promising! Not sure where it'll go over the course of the series.

Did anyone else notice who the guy on the phone from the MMS was played by? Jesse Eisenberg!
  • TheSaint 28 Jun 2012 09:25:35 13,654 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorkin does have a habit of making any job he writes about seem like the most important in the world. That wasn't really a problem when dealing with people working in the West Wing but it did grate a bit in Studio 60.

That rant at the start seems to have offended a lot of American though. It seemed pretty spot on to me.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 28 Jun 2012 09:28:39 7,386 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It must be really painful for a lot patriotic dudes to hear a zinger of a monologue like that, but it's all true. Plus, everyone knows the greatest sovereign state on earth is Britain :D
  • Flightrisker 1 Jul 2012 00:21:10 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finally got around to watching this. Really liked it. Going to have to be careful though as it feels a lot like another show that won't really connect with America and therefore will be cancelled after one season. Still not over bloody S60 :(
  • Deleted user 1 July 2012 00:26:29
    monologue was so on the nose
  • LFMartins 2 Jul 2012 21:27:09 5,704 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    Finally got around to watching this. Really liked it. Going to have to be careful though as it feels a lot like another show that won't really connect with America and therefore will be cancelled after one season. Still not over bloody S60 :(
    You´re safe for now. HBO has renewed it for another season.
  • Flightrisker 2 Jul 2012 22:04:23 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LFMartins wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:
    You´re safe for now. HBO has renewed it for another season.
    Really? Awesome1

Just watched the second one. Feels a lot like he's retracing the steps he walked in S60 (meltdown, rebirth,things actually still being kinda shit, slow rebirth). No bad thing for me though as I love his schtick.

I don't see this show making any converts though. People that disliked S60 will most likely dislike this too. The only thing that's really changed is the setting which makes the "omg this is so freaking important" attitude of the characters a little more digestible than them working on a comedy sketch show.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 4 Jul 2012 09:35:40 7,386 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Two episodes in and things are starting to motor. It really is an amalgam of all of Sorkin's prior work: the newsroom setting from Sports Night; the political musings of The West Wing; the will-they-won't-they character arcs of Studio 60. Maggie & Jim are the new Donnna & Josh. I love it.
  • glaeken 4 Jul 2012 09:50:22 10,978 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This starts next week in the UK on Sky Atlantic. Think its Tuesday.
  • Flightrisker 4 Jul 2012 23:18:10 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Review-wise it seems to be even more hated than S60.
  • askew 4 Jul 2012 23:28:38 11,472 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Emily Mortimer's Mckenzie almost made me turn off during the first episode...

...but I stuck with it. When it clicks it's a very good piece of television. And Jeff Daniels is ace. It does feel a little preachy though.
  • TheSaint 4 Jul 2012 23:30:57 13,654 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Most of that seems to be down to 20/30 something American hipsters taking the criticisms in that rant far to personally.

These comments threads in particular are a bit of a car crash:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/we-just-decided-to,81499/

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-newsroom-we-just-decided-to,81621/
  • TheSaint 4 Jul 2012 23:35:07 13,654 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Emily Mortimer's Mckenzie almost made me turn off during the first episode...
    I can't look at her without thinking of the Avian Bone Syndrome she had in 30 Rock.
  • Flightrisker 9 Jul 2012 18:26:22 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Liked this weeks, hints at where the big story arc will come from. Seemed odd that it spanned so much time.
  • Blakester 16 Jul 2012 09:24:24 3,367 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Caught up on the first episode last night and thought it was absolutely brilliant.

Interesting characters and a vibrant location should make for a fascinating show. It was fun spotting the stars from other shows and film (including the kinda obvious voiceover) and I have high hopes this will fill the void left recently by the end of Homeland and Game of Thrones.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• mcmonkeyplc 16 Jul 2012 09:38:14 38,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I watched this last week and loved it.

I watched all the west wing as a box set so I'm not used to this 1 week wait crap! :)

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 09:38:34 16-07-2012

Come and get it cumslingers!

• glaeken 16 Jul 2012 09:43:11 10,978 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Caught up with this last night and thought it was Ok. Fairly enjoyable. I guess it’s set in the past so they can be all prophetic about real news items.

I was surprised they mentioned Tony Hayward in the BP story. Seems odd to mention a real person like that when as far as I remember everyone else was fictional.

Edited by glaeken at 09:43:24 16-07-2012
  • Flightrisker 16 Jul 2012 20:23:10 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As cheesy as it was I loved the montage at the end of this weeks.

Edited by Flightrisker at 20:45:54 16-07-2012
  • glaeken 30 Jul 2012 16:26:47 10,978 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So this actually taught be something in the last episode. The tea party is funded by Koch industries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/opinion/29rich.html

I knew the tea party was bad but to find out who it’s being bank rolled by makes it look even worse. Of course this is as the program presented it but doing a little further reading it seems to be broadly true.

As for the program fairly enjoyable though I do find the dialog all sounds like the same person talking.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Jul 2012 16:41:15 6,284 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    As for the program fairly enjoyable though I do find the dialog all sounds like the same person talking.
    Yes. That's Aaron Sorkin.

I find him pompous, preachy and annoying, even when I agree with what he says. I've seen the first episode of this, and the tendancy towards monologues and yelling at Tea Party idiots is probably only going to heighten that annoyance.
  • glaeken 30 Jul 2012 16:49:59 10,978 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am quite enjoying it overall but I have never seen anything else by Sorkin so the style is not grating on me too much yet. I guess I am only 3 episodes in though.
  • RMXtreme 30 Jul 2012 17:10:21 3,145 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watch the first couple of episodes of The West Wing, then watch an episode of the Newsroom.
  • Blakester 30 Jul 2012 17:15:12 3,367 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Generally any mention of US politics in a TV drama has me running for cover, so it says something of the characters and writing that I stuck with it through the third episode.

Most of it was like Greek to me, but I at least enjoyed the interplay in the board room.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Flightrisker 30 Jul 2012 22:25:16 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oooh this week's was excellent. I was a little worried after last weeks (ep%) wish leaned heavy on the shows whimsical goofy side which I don't really care much for. This week's was a much more serious emotional affair and hopefully a sign of where the show is heading.

Olivia Munn is becoming the stand out in the show, works very well in the Sam Seaborn/MaryTate hyper intelligent but socially a bit retarded role.
  • MightyMouse 31 Jul 2012 01:18:44 1,091 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Urgh, the main Will storyline this week was just astoundingly stupid. Painfully so. I know Sorkin's said in the past that his writing works more by creating the right structure of what people should say that the content, and sometimes it really shows.
  • graysonavich 31 Jul 2012 19:51:16 6,820 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah this weeks was the weakest, but still the best thing on television in the last decade.

Kinda wish Sloane was played by someone else. Munn is just too distractingly hot to be that character.

By this weeks I mean ep06. I'm told people still actually watch live television.

Edited by graysonavich at 20:08:05 31-07-2012
  • Flightrisker 31 Jul 2012 21:38:07 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ha, this week's was my fav so far and Sloane is the best thing in it for me.
  • monkehhh 31 Jul 2012 21:46:14 3,145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Yeah this weeks was the weakest, but still the best thing on television in the last decade.

Kinda wish Sloane was played by someone else. Munn is just too distractingly hot to be that character.

By this weeks I mean ep06. I'm told people still actually watch live television.
    Best thing in the last decade? Bold claims!

Sloane is super hot though.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last