Dragon's Dogma Page 141

• Page

of 150 First / Last

• quadfather 12 Oct 2017 07:41:41 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3

Yay! Now get to fucking Maximilian :)

Also, there are rooftops in gran Soren you can get onto that have a few chests scattered about for info.

I tried to do the ruins quest last night but couldn't find the Watergate key. Hope I haven't fucked that quest up

Party is really coming together now, really kicking arse
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Oct 2017 07:55:43 232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    Ha, I still haven't got a fucking clue about what I am doing, I have managed to get to gran siren, speak to the pawn guy do his tunnel quest then I found out how to unlock abilities so did that. Then I found a board at the inn which sent me on a quest to help someone get from one place to another. Half way down the way I got caught by invisible lizard men who swarmed me and I turned it off.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Oct 2017 08:14:34 232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    i will say this, my pawn (gilly) is a lvl 17 mage (i am lvl 17 too) and is actually doing all the heavy lifting now. I seem to be scratching the enemies when a fire blast from her takes out half the enemies health and i sorta feel a little redundant in battle. (am stilling on 50k gold which i should probably spend)
  • quadfather 12 Oct 2017 08:52:54 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3

You're a strider yeah?

You've made sure you've got all your skills? You should have a few more than scarlet kisses by now. maybe some augments too plus some bow skills. These need learning first then setting by the guy at the inn.

And you need to speak to caxley/Caxton/whatever just nearby outside the inn to upgrade all your kit and weapons and then use his enhance option to upgrade them again.

Is gilly healing you after each fight? If not, make sure she has anodyne as a secondary skill. She needs to also have a elemental boon spell as one of her primaries so that you get buffed at the start of each fight.

If you want to progress with the main quests , see Maximilian near the castle and take on the wyrmwood ones

Otherwise just piss about and do what you want.

Also, when your vocation hits level 5, get the vault skill - it's great for mobility
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Oct 2017 09:04:12 232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    @quadfather my vocation has hit 5,

i am using ensnare alot as i find it pretty useful and i bought the heavy shot and the cloud of arrows. I bought all three of the boons available to me, clamber quicker, more stamina and faster firing. I also unlocked ranger but decided against using him right now. Yeah, Gilly is healing between fights but i havent got her buffing me. I should probably sort that out.

Find new weapons and armour and upgrade. gotcha :)
  • quadfather 12 Oct 2017 09:23:20 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    @quadfather my vocation has hit 5,

i am using ensnare alot as i find it pretty useful and i bought the heavy shot and the cloud of arrows. I bought all three of the boons available to me, clamber quicker, more stamina and faster firing. I also unlocked ranger but decided against using him right now. Yeah, Gilly is healing between fights but i havent got her buffing me. I should probably sort that out.

Find new weapons and armour and upgrade. gotcha :)
    Ahhh, that's why then. If Gilly isn't buffing your weapons, you'll be pissing in the wind. Well, you will at the moment anyway.

Yeah, she needs to have a boon in her primary slot. Fire Boon is a good starting point. Whack that fucker in and you'll soon notice the difference. It buffs your arrows as well as your daggers.

What bow and daggers do you have? Has Caxton got anything better? If so, I'd buy them, and enhance them as much as you can. Don't worry about cash - you'll be shitting money soon.

And also don't forget to upgrade Gilly's stuff too.

And do you have an Eternal Ferrystone in either your inventory, Gilly's or the stash at the inn? Keep that on you at all times, as that's your fast travel back to Gran Soren (or you can choose the destination if you've put a portcrystal down somewhere)

That also reminds me! Check your stash at the inn *thoroughly* - I noticed that because I'd bought the Dark Arisen pack, it gave me some free stuff straight away. The armour I immediately put on as it was a lot better than the rags I had. Same with a few things for my mage.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Oct 2017 10:14:53 232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    @quadfather Yeah, i got lucky with armour and have some sweet rags on :) Gilly is dressed up like a queen right now.

My weapons i know i need to sort out but havent found anyone selling stuff (outside of a travelling merchant) I am using a shortbow and throatslitters.

I think i do have a ferrystone...somewhere :) I am enjoying the game, it reminds me alot of skyrim now but i just feel as though i may as well not bother fighting but kite the enemies for gilly to kill which is less than fun. I did get lucky with everfall though when a particularly strong enemy charged off the edge of the stairs and levelled me up.
  • quadfather 12 Oct 2017 10:34:05 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    @quadfather Yeah, i got lucky with armour and have some sweet rags on :) Gilly is dressed up like a queen right now.

My weapons i know i need to sort out but havent found anyone selling stuff (outside of a travelling merchant) I am using a shortbow and throatslitters.

I think i do have a ferrystone...somewhere :) I am enjoying the game, it reminds me alot of skyrim now but i just feel as though i may as well not bother fighting but kite the enemies for gilly to kill which is less than fun. I did get lucky with everfall though when a particularly strong enemy charged off the edge of the stairs and levelled me up.
    Those queens robes have sweet resistances.

You need to speak to Caxton just outside the inn at Gran Soren. Literally come out of the inn, turn right and go forward 10 feet. He's there. Get his best daggers and bow.

A ferrystone is a one off fast travel item.
    An eternal ferrystone you can use repeatedly. It is extremely valuable and useful.

Get that boon in and you'll be killing shit left right and centre. Get the Trigger and then Toss and Trigger skill too when they come up. Gilly won't get a look in.
  • quadfather 12 Oct 2017 10:36:03 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And you can also hire pawns that are much higher level than you. The pros of this is that they'll give you advice on quests they've already done, helping you out, plus they're obviously going to be harder which helps too. The con is that you'll slow down levelling as there's a penalty for hiring higher level pawns.

I don't give a shit though, and while I'm in my mid 20's, my two hired pawns are level 39 each.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Oct 2017 10:36:27 232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    cool thanks, one last question. Should i get my vocation to max before changing class?
  • FuzzyDucky 12 Oct 2017 10:39:54 2,404 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm going home sick shortly (genuinely) so I'm gonna camp on the couch and play this fucker for the next 12 hours :)
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Oct 2017 10:45:54 232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    I'm going home sick shortly (genuinely) so I'm gonna camp on the couch and play this fucker for the next 12 hours :)
    Lucky sod, hope it's nothing too serious :)

Actually really wish this was on switch

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 10:50:25 12-10-2017
  • quadfather 12 Oct 2017 10:51:33 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    cool thanks, one last question. Should i get my vocation to max before changing class?
    No worries - I'm at work, researching Dragon's dogma all day long, so happy to waffle :)

Well, it depends really. The main idea of leveling is that you choose what you want to do long run, and then stick at it. For instance, I know that I like Ranger, so I did levels 1-10 of Strider (to pick up the main strider skills) and then switched to Ranger at 10. The majority of strider skills are transferable, so it kinda fits.

However, what you can also do, is do Strider for levels 1-10, and then you could go Mage. Or Fighter. Or Mystic Knight, or Magick Archer. Some of the skills will be transferable, but probably not as many as there are going from Strider to Ranger, or Fighter to Warrior etc.

But the beauty is that it doesn't even matter - I could change to mage for 10 levels, and then if I didn't like it, I've still got my previous Ranger levels intact to go back to.

So you could, theoretically max the whole lot and switch between them. Though you'd probably need a lot of upgraded gear in your stash to make this effective when switching.

But if it's your first time I'd do Strider till at least level 10 in that vocation and then decide whether to 'upgrade' to Ranger or switch to something else.

What I did first time round is Strider 1-10, then Ranger 10-whatever-i-got-to. Then I pissed about with Mystic knight and assassin, but eventually went back to my comfortable ranger.

tl;dr -

Have a look at the skills you get between levels 1-10 and decide if you want them all before switching. But make sure you check that whatever vocation you're switching to, you're ok with the ones you'll lose in the transfer.

Savvy?

Edit - there are also some cool ways to 'nick' certain abilities. Some skills are transferable between vocation, so you can change to that vocation, level up to get the skill, and then change back again and you've got that skill.

I might have missed a few things here, so I'm going to have a look at a guide - I'm sure there's a way to bolster you defence, attack, magic and resistances by swapping about.

Edited by quadfather at 10:58:30 12-10-2017
  • quadfather 12 Oct 2017 10:51:57 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    I can't fault your impeccable logic.
  • FuzzyDucky 12 Oct 2017 11:31:43 2,404 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    Lucky sod, hope it's nothing too serious :)

Actually really wish this was on switch
    Ta! I'll probably have to take a few extended poo breaks but in front of the TV with my feet up with a PS4 pad in hand is the safest spot for me today :)
  • FuzzyDucky 12 Oct 2017 11:59:35 2,404 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Okay, so feet up and game is on!

Question - myself and my pawn are both level 20 - is it time to mix up vocations?

I like the pawn been a mage though as he spits out healing and weapon buffs without me having to worry about it 🤔
  • quadfather 12 Oct 2017 12:35:27 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    Okay, so feet up and game is on!

Question - myself and my pawn are both level 20 - is it time to mix up vocations?

I like the pawn been a mage though as he spits out healing and weapon buffs without me having to worry about it 🤔
    Good man!

Well, your main pawn being a mage means you get buffs, healing and some offensive stuff (depending on how you've tailored them)

If you change them to a sorceror for example, you'll get more offensive power, but no healing.

But you could always rent another mage to heal.

As for yourself, what are you? I'd have changed at level 10 if it was me, but depends what you are and what you want?
  • FuzzyDucky 12 Oct 2017 12:47:50 2,404 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @quadfather My own character is a level 22 Strider. Have some good gear so reluctant to change at the minute. I'm one level off making the vocation...

I like the speed, movement and range.
  • FuzzyDucky 12 Oct 2017 13:22:33 2,404 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Okay, this is becoming massively frustrating as I still can't seem to advance any quests. I'm walking around Gran Soren trying to advance the wrym hunt but I have no clue who to talk to.

Progression shouldn't need to be so obtuse, it's no fun at all.
  • quadfather 12 Oct 2017 13:39:19 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    @quadfather My own character is a level 22 Strider. Have some good gear so reluctant to change at the minute. I'm one level off making the vocation...

I like the speed, movement and range.
    How about ranger then? That would be the next logical step
  • UncleLou Moderator 12 Oct 2017 13:39:20 38,612 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, I generally loved about the game that it is a bit more mysterious, with less hand-holding, than most modern games, but I agree that story progression can be quite nebulous. I see it as a balance misstep of a design direction I otherwise prefer, so I can live with it.

What does your quest log say (if anything)?

Edited by UncleLou at 13:40:38 12-10-2017
  • quadfather 12 Oct 2017 13:39:39 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:
    Okay, this is becoming massively frustrating as I still can't seem to advance any quests. I'm walking around Gran Soren trying to advance the wrym hunt but I have no clue who to talk to.

What quests have you got?
  • shamblemonkee 12 Oct 2017 13:41:10 17,511 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    everyone you need to talk to will have a quest bubble. and most quests will mark precisely where to go?

which one's causing you an issue.

ps. git gud :p
  • JiveHound 12 Oct 2017 13:44:12 8,792 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FuzzyDucky wrote:

I think it's supposed to be deliberately obtuse so getting pawns with quest knowledge has purpose.

I drew a blank on that slate quest so far too. Going to concentrate on the others for now. The game does say that you should do other quests at an impasse as it may make you inadvertedly progress other lines.
  • quadfather 12 Oct 2017 13:48:02 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also, in case you've not noticed this, when you bring up the quests and view them on the map and cycle through them, it'll point out the red rings where you need to go for a specific quest.

However, if you're outside and it doesn't point to one of these quest rings then you need to explore and find it. Sometimes it's a little kinder and displays a red circular area to give you an idea.

However again, if you're inside a city and do this, it'll show you the red rings where you need to go inside, but if any are located outside, the cursor just zooms to the front of the castle gates, indicating you need to go outside and 'scan' again.

Green icon over people's heads = they have a new quest
    Yellow icon over people's heads = they have information about a quest
    Red icon over someone's head = has information or is someone you need to speak to about a quest
    Blue icon over someone's head = go there to complete the quest
  • quadfather 12 Oct 2017 13:48:42 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    FuzzyDucky wrote:

I think it's supposed to be deliberately obtuse so getting pawns with quest knowledge has purpose.

I drew a blank on that slate quest so far too. Going to concentrate on the others for now. The game does say that you should do other quests at an impasse as it may make you inadvertedly progress other lines.
    I can't find the fucking watergate key for the slate quest. I'm not sure if I'm being an idiot, or it's bugged out
  • shamblemonkee 12 Oct 2017 13:52:03 17,511 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    it's in a chest at the back of the dungeon iirc. i like that quest - apart from the slates being so heavy

Edited by shamblemonkee at 13:52:27 12-10-2017
  • JiveHound 12 Oct 2017 13:55:24 8,792 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Watergate Altar I have done but I thought it would help with the decryption quest.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Oct 2017 13:56:18 232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Also, in case you've not noticed this, when you bring up the quests and view them on the map and cycle through them, it'll point out the red rings where you need to go for a specific quest.

However, if you're outside and it doesn't point to one of these quest rings then you need to explore and find it. Sometimes it's a little kinder and displays a red circular area to give you an idea.

However again, if you're inside a city and do this, it'll show you the red rings where you need to go inside, but if any are located outside, the cursor just zooms to the front of the castle gates, indicating you need to go outside and 'scan' again.

Green icon over people's heads = they have a new quest
    Yellow icon over people's heads = they have information about a quest
    Red icon over someone's head = has information or is someone you need to speak to about a quest
    Blue icon over someone's head = go there to complete the quest
    What i love is when you speak to them and their icon doesnt disappear so you question yourself over whether you have spoken to them enough.
  • quadfather 12 Oct 2017 14:02:41 28,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    it's in a chest at the back of the dungeon iirc. i like that quest - apart from the slates being so heavy
    Fucking hell, I'm sure I've looked everywhere. Ok, nice one, I'll go back
  • Page

of 150 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.