Spec ops: The Line

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • Machetazo 4 Apr 2011 21:14:39 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is one of those games that I just want to know more about. Yager, they make more than flight combat games! They also make games in which everyone is John McClane. How is it that this game is not one of the games more anticipated for 2011? No matter whether it releases this year, or not. :p

Here's some rolling gameplay...It's the shanty sequence of CoD Modern Warfare 2, done RIGHT, and done fun! The playground they've created, it looks feasible, you don't see a map, I at least see a location. The characters move in an exaggerated but believable way, smoothly. There's grit, without it being "gritty". There's a story to that place, without an overt gratuity, or bluntness in how it's presented.
    There's a firefight going on, it looks a high tension, stand-off situation amidst this devastated urbania, and there's bullets flying and ricocheting...To me, it sprints effortlessly by what Kaos tried, with Homefront, and that game's currently charting high. Anyway, are you looking forward to Spec Ops: the Line?
    I guess this is a concept trailer, but it looks like they're pretty close, with the playable version, already! :)
  • Deleted user 4 April 2011 21:44:05
    What i learned from the trailer : Alice in chains rock dude, like, for real...

Oh Machetazo, i thought that we'd be seeing some new gameplay footage, son , i am dissapoint xD

Concept of this seems nice, we'll have to wait and see whether it will deliver gameplay-wise - something tells though that it won't, it's probably going to be yet another "cover shooter", hmm...
  • matrim83 8 May 2012 13:05:23 5,587 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Demo is up on XBL.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Spec-Ops-The-Line-Demo/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802545488a0?noSplash=1

Valar morghulis.

• DUFFMAN5 8 May 2012 13:38:59 14,589 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I will have a little look later

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• DUFFMAN5 8 May 2012 15:41:36 14,589 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I liked the demo. It will go on the lovefilm list.

• Oh-Bollox 9 May 2012 22:52:13 5,213 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The shooting is fun, stable and precise and lethal, and the movement is decent. They've created an interesting environment, it's not just another urban combat setting, but fuck me the cover combat is clunky. Little scope for any thought, just get into cover, shoot enemies, move on. There's no actual need to use your brain at any point, no real scope for tactics (commanding your team takes fucking ages as well, next to useless), so I'll buy it when it's 10.
  • repairmanjack 9 May 2012 23:00:44 6,014 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been waiting on this one for a while. Decent demo - and so nice to see enemies that aren't bullet sponges. Combat felt all the better for it.
  • Oh-Bollox 9 May 2012 23:29:15 5,213 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aye, one of the best things was the vulnerability of the enemies, and linking headshots is great.
  • Anthony_UK 10 May 2012 23:13:35 2,484 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Didn't like this at all playing this last night, it's mechanics copy Gears of War so closely that it felt wrong whenever it didn't play like just like gears, like when I didn't snap into cover the same and there being no roll type manoeuvre.

However giving this another go, it's actually pretty great. Loving the vulnerable nature of the enemies and even your own character. Love how because that you are vulnerable, that a shotgunner rushing you is a serious threat as is someone running at you with a knife, though they can still be despatched with a couple of shots....combined with the original setting, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
  • Pumpatron 12 May 2012 17:05:14 374 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Meh, the demo didn't do much for me.

It just felt like one scripted shoot out after another, the whole thing felt too constrained and orchestrated. I didn't think the combat was anything special either.
  • Derblington 12 May 2012 17:15:04 21,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not going to set the world alight but I really enjoy even mediocre 3rd person shooters.

I'll definitely play it.
  • fletch7100 12 May 2012 20:13:14 7,227 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Solid enough 3rd person cover shooter, going to be more interested in what the story is about modern day apocalypse now/heart of darkness style
  • Machetazo 29 May 2012 13:51:33 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Plenty of footage here, as Gametrailers braves the sand, and returns with a preview featuring impressions from beyond the demo, including some multiplayer.
  • Ultrasoundwave 29 May 2012 14:53:03 3,281 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I enjoyed the demo - doesnt break any new ground but it seems well made with decent production values.

The only thing its got going against it is Max Payne 3, which might just be the best 3rd-person shooter ever made.......will that take the shine off this game??

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Machetazo 22 Jun 2012 17:48:31 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago

A look at multiplayer, from Gamespot, v. informative thanks to the staffer sitting in with GS' presenter. One week until it's released! :)

See also: Behind the Line part 1. A developer diary for the game, from Yager.

Edited by Machetazo at 15:51:49 23-06-2012
  • smoothpete 26 Jun 2012 14:06:47 31,501 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Review is up. 8/10
  • repairmanjack 26 Jun 2012 14:37:44 6,014 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seems to be par for the course, review wise. Everyone's really positive.

Definitely keeping the pre-order in place for this. And probably the most interesting EG review I've read in many months.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 26 Jun 2012 14:38:00 6,654 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I hope the boxed version can be activated on Steam. Definite buy when it's cheap as shit.
  • fletch7100 26 Jun 2012 14:48:02 7,227 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good Ign video review for this as well8/10 and forget about the MP

6 hour campaign, some control issues, story and character makes up for it. Good to see how the characters start off as usual cliche characters then change over the course of the game.
  • Vortex808 26 Jun 2012 15:35:42 7,074 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'll no doubt pick this up later on. I have loads of other stuff just now that I am not making much progress with..
  • Deleted user 26 June 2012 15:57:09
    For the endless complaining of certain other shooters and no story, i guess i have to stay true to my word and actually pick this up at somepoint. It seems to want to do something interesting, and for that i shall (abiet at a reduced price).

Demo was decent, It does the 3rd Person stuff solidly enough, def intrigued by the story.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 Jun 2012 15:29:38 6,654 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, just played the demo on steam. Pretty good.
  • RunningMan 27 Jun 2012 15:47:52 2,396 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good discount on getgamesgo at the mo.
  • Ultrasoundwave 29 Jun 2012 08:52:45 3,281 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone managed to pick this up yet?, definitely going to make a purchase later on i think, especially with the positive reviews its been getting.

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 08:53:20 29-06-2012

• repairmanjack 29 Jun 2012 09:14:44 6,014 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just up to the seventh chapter. Been some great stuff in the story - I adore the music. Use of a DJ was a smart idea - hearing Hush blurt out over the speakers during a particularly intense firefight was massively grin-inducing.

I'm a big fan of Heart of Darkness and that's written large here, but there's more than a few nods to Apocalypse Now (which is not just inevitable but intentional - the DJ reminds me of Hopper's character, actually).

Tried the MP yesterday and found it to be an unworkable clusterfuck, even with three people on. Looks intriguing in the vids, but need to see it working before I can comment much.

Very keen to get back to the SP later. Shooting is pretty solid, sand mechanic used well. North doesn't conjure any sense of Drake here, but that's helped by the story getting darker all the time. Mechanics-wise it's not doing anything different at all; if you like the demo, you'll like the full game.
  • repairmanjack 29 Jun 2012 14:36:11 6,014 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chapter 8. Damn. :o

I hope a few other developers take a look at what this game is doing.
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Jun 2012 15:21:29 14,589 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thoughts chaps ?
    I like the look of this, it was either this or Spider-man on my lovefilm list, I got spider-man (loads of fun) only an hour in so far.
    Really looking forward to Spec thought.

• Ultrasoundwave 29 Jun 2012 15:27:08 3,281 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am genuinely intrigued that a developer has finally focused on the story for a game like this - ive only heard positive things about this game.

Will be heading out and picking it up tonight for sure.

• L_Franko Moderator 29 Jun 2012 15:36:19 9,694 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Damn it, you had to all like it didn't you!
    I was hoping to get away with not buying anything this week.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous