Problems with new housemate - advice please!

• Page

of 18 First / Last

Previous
  • spamdangled 17 Mar 2011 18:25:55 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Right, I need some advice.

Two weeks ago a new housemate moved in. He seemed great at the interview, he really liked the flat (he had a good look around and stayed for a few hours, had coffee and a chat, etc).

However, he is already really rubbing me up the wrong way.

Problem one: He plays the television in his room REALLY LOUDLY. Not too much of a problem at 7pm when I'm in the living room watching telly myself, but very annoying at 4am when I am trying to get to sleep. I've tried mentioning it to him, saying how it keeps me up all night, and his response was simply "well, I can't sleep without the telly on so I don't know what you expect me to do dude". I suggested that he turn it down, to which he replied "but I need it that loud to get to sleep". It's that loud that my bedroom wall vibrates and he does this EVERY NIGHT.

Problem two: He claims he is being bitten by things in his room, which he assumed, given I have a cat, must be fleas. Now, this would be a fair assumption except that a) my cat is a housecat and doesn't go outside, b) gets regular treatment every fotnight just to be on the safe side anyway, c) I have not seen any bugs or received any bites myself, d) the cat has not been inside that room in over two years. I suggested that if there is anything in the house that it is just in his room considering he is the only one supposedly affected, to which he said I was being stupid and that it has to be the cat (despite the fact that he works by a lake which, I know from experience, is infested with fleas). Not wanting to argue, I went out and got him some flea powders and sprays so he could treat his room, but he refuses to use them saying that they will bring him out in a rash.

Problem three: Before he moved in, I told him that he needed to pay a month's deposit. At the time he had no problem with that. The day he moved in, he suddenly developed a problem saying he couldn't pay the deposit all in one go because of problems with his old landlord. Fair enough, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and said he could pay in installments. Now, whenever I mention it, he says that he can't afford it and quickly changes the subject.

Problem four: Before he moved in, I told him that I had no problem with him having people come over or staying, so long as he let me know because I feel really uncomfortable having strangers in the house. Last night he brought someone over, didn't introduce them, and they stayed the night. I could have dealt with that, though I did find it inconsiderate. What I didn't like is that he then went to work this morning and LEFT THIS STRANGER IN THE HOUSE without telling me. He had even given him his keys.

Bearing in mind that he's only been here two weeks, I really feel like he is taking the piss. What should I do?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• morriss 17 Mar 2011 18:26:32 70,913 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kill.
  • King_Edward 17 Mar 2011 18:27:11 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FHUTA
  • Deleted user 17 March 2011 18:27:51
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Right, I need some advice.

Two weeks ago a new housemate moved in. He seemed great at the interview, he really liked the flat (he had a good look around and stayed for a few hours, had coffee and a chat, etc).

However, he is already really rubbing me up the wrong way.
    Got this far and started sniggering. I need sleep sorry!
  • LionheartDJH 17 Mar 2011 18:28:40 19,372 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Has richardtock's old housemate struck another EGer?!

She dives for cheese pasties

• spamdangled 17 Mar 2011 18:28:44 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    /slaps mowgli

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 17 Mar 2011 18:29:15 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:

Argh! Don't! I really hope this doesn't get as bad as that.

• RabidChild 17 Mar 2011 18:29:28 2,292 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:

Problem two: He claims he is being bitten by things in his room

You're biting him, aren't you?

Problem 4 would be the one that would reall fuck me off.
  • Syrette 17 Mar 2011 18:30:46 43,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Infest his room with fleas until he can take it no longer and, er, flees.

• LionheartDJH 17 Mar 2011 18:30:55 19,372 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    LionheartDJH wrote:

Argh! Don't! I really hope this doesn't get as bad as that.

Do you have a CD player, some furniture coverings and some newspaper? If so all your problems are solved.

• spamdangled 17 Mar 2011 18:31:34 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I also forgot to mention that he had no problem with the cat until he moved in, but now suddenly decides to tell me that he allergic to cats and that I need to do something about this.

• Deleted user 17 March 2011 18:32:26
    Sounds like a complete cock tbh.

But do you honestly get your cat checked every two weeks?
  • Syrette 17 Mar 2011 18:32:38 43,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds like a dog lover.

• DUFFMAN5 17 Mar 2011 18:32:44 14,523 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How long is the "settling in period" before you can throw him out ? I assume he has signed something along the lines of do's and don'ts ?

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• MrTomFTW Moderator 17 Mar 2011 18:33:00 37,648 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've entered this thread to ensure someone has written FHUTA.

King_Edward wrote:
    FHUTA

Good man.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 17 March 2011 18:33:29
    mowgli wrote:

But enough about darkmorgado, let's talk about the housemate.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2011 18:34:00
    Seriously, get rid asap.
  • spamdangled 17 Mar 2011 18:34:31 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    How long is the "settling in period" before you can throw him out ? I assume he has signed something along the lines of do's and don'ts ?

I can kick him out whenever I want, the landlady lets me sublet the spare room.

• Syrette 17 Mar 2011 18:35:16 43,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:

And if he threatens you with legal action, just give mowgli a call.

• King_Edward 17 Mar 2011 18:35:22 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:

DUFFMAN5 wrote:

Then get rid. He's a dick.
  • spamdangled 17 Mar 2011 18:35:56 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mowgli wrote:

One of my close friends is a vet; he always gives JD a quick check whenever he comes over.

• mrpon 17 Mar 2011 18:35:58 28,688 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The TV thing is taking the piss. Are you a bit of a soft touch?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• HoriZon 17 Mar 2011 18:37:29 13,517 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8rcnV9iYGo

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Deleted user 17 March 2011 18:37:34
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Problem three: Before he moved in, I told him that he needed to pay a month's deposit. At the time he had no problem with that. The day he moved in...

Think this is the main problem tbh, it should have been paid before he moved in, not the day he did. At least then you'd be quids in and could probably tolerate the other issues until you've both settled into a suitable routine.
  • AaronTurner 17 Mar 2011 18:37:36 7,667 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1. Tell him it's night time and if he needs tv to sleep put headphones in. It's natural to want a quiet place to sleep, not a loud one.

2. Get Advantage for your cat, it'll kill any fleas in the house and won't do any other damage to anything. Just get it and you've done your part.

3. Don't take the deposit now, tell him he has the rest of the month to find somewhere else.

4. Tell him he's a cock for being completely unthoughtful to live with.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2011 18:38:25
    darkmorgado wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

One of my close friends is a vet; he always gives JD a quick check whenever he comes over.
    Ah fair enough then. Hard to imagine anyone dragging a house cat to the vets every fortnight.

He looks like he knows you are a soft touch. Pushing his luck now to establish who is in charge.
  • spamdangled 17 Mar 2011 18:39:21 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    The TV thing is taking the piss. Are you a bit of a soft touch?

He's developed a habit of making me feel like I'm being a prick and acting really offended if I say anything to him about it.

Aaron: Cat gets Advantage every two weeks anyway. Always has. I know the thing says it lasts four weeks, but I always like to be sure with stuff like that.

Lionheart: He's a big woofter himself, so I don't think that bothers him somehow.

• LionheartDJH 17 Mar 2011 18:39:57 19,372 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Did you tell him you batted for the other team before he moved in? He might be a bit uneasy about that perhaps aswell.

• Doggypup 17 Mar 2011 18:39:59 165 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Throw your cat at him.
  • megastar 17 Mar 2011 18:42:36 17,176 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    just start defecating everywhere!! acting like it's a normal thing to do - he'll move out withing a week!
  • Page

of 18 First / Last

Previous