Game of Thrones (HBO TV SERIES) @ U.S. Pace - NO BOOK SPOILERS! Page 102

• Page

of 289 First / Last

• nickthegun 6 Jun 2012 18:39:44 60,514 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having a separate arc wouldn't necessarily a bad thing if it was any good. Most of the stuff on and beyond the wall happen in isolation, the difference is that the plot and the characters for that are pretty cool.

The worst thing is that it's almost impossible to see how it can be improved without recasting and writing her in a totally different way.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• ecu 6 Jun 2012 18:44:12 77,039 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    She doesn't even need to be in the show at all. If she's going to become important in season 6 or whatever, they might as well introduce her then. What we've learned about her character so far could be explained in a single scene, and it would have been one less plotline to follow.
  • shamblemonkee 6 Jun 2012 18:55:34 14,491 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    haha, book 4. then you'll have reason to whinge.
  • Flightrisker 6 Jun 2012 18:57:31 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was linked a bit at the start when Robert wanted to send assassins after her. They were all shitting themselves about the Targarean girl. Not sure why they stopped caring. Oh I guess it was her baby they were worried about?

Might have even worked to just have her referred to. Build her up through rumours and whispered stories from beyond the narrow sea. Tales of horseman armies and dragons. HAve us not really knowing what to believe and then season 35 or something BOOM it's the Dragon Queen bitches!
  • thedaveeyres 6 Jun 2012 19:00:09 11,276 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Funnily enough, she's my missus' favourite character by far. I doubt we'd be even watching the show together without Dragon Momma.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• WoodenSpoon 6 Jun 2012 20:07:40 12,291 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    It was linked a bit at the start when Robert wanted to send assassins after her. They were all shitting themselves about the Targarean girl. Not sure why they stopped caring. Oh I guess it was her baby they were worried about?

Might have even worked to just have her referred to. Build her up through rumours and whispered stories from beyond the narrow sea. Tales of horseman armies and dragons. HAve us not really knowing what to believe and then season 35 or something BOOM it's the Dragon Queen bitches!
    I think they were more worried about her in series 1 because they thought she'd turn up imminently with a bunch of Dothraki. Now even though (some) people know she's got her dragons, they're still only little and people in Westeros have the massive war to deal with.

I'm not a massive Dany hater, her character is meant to be young and brash... that said I pretty much just watch those bits for Mormont cos he's a badass.
  • ResidentKnievel 6 Jun 2012 20:09:52 6,240 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Totally agree with everyone, as big of a twist having Drogo killed was, I bet George R. R. Martin is regretting it by now. I haven't read the books but I can't imagine she does much in book 3, 4 and 5 other than build up an army over a painfully slow amount of time.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Deleted user 6 June 2012 20:13:19
    Thought it was obvious that she stopped being at the front of everyone's mind because, you know, there is a fucking army at the door...

Her character is fine, she is walking about the place with fucking dragons on her shoulders. Not everyone has to be raping and scheming every five minutes to be relevant.
  • mattigan 6 Jun 2012 20:15:29 1,429 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But if there hadn't been Danerys we would never have met Khal Drogo or seen Viserys' coronation....
  • ResidentKnievel 6 Jun 2012 20:26:28 6,240 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just think the her overall story would have been a lot better if Drogo was kept alive. We wouldn't have learned the lesson that even the strongest of warriors can be killed so easily, and we probably wouldn't see Danerys develop much as a character, but at least we would have had a massive Dothraki horde invading Westoros instead of the predictable walk around the desert we have now.

• kalel 6 Jun 2012 20:30:00 88,467 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yup. Ned too.

Yes, killing off your most interesting characters gives the audience a big shock, but unfortunately it also leaves you without your best characters.
  • ResidentKnievel 6 Jun 2012 20:42:19 6,240 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmm, I'm not so sure about Ned, it did set a lot of the stuff we're seeing in motion.

• President_Weasel 6 Jun 2012 20:47:19 9,460 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tyrion's the most interesting character, and he's still alive. Jaime is a slightly regretful but stone cold child-murdering, king-killing, sister-fucker who killed his hero-worshipping cousin in an escape attempt, and he's still alive so far.
    Stannis just got told he'd betray everything he loved and destroy the world, or something similar, but he seems OK with it as long as he gets the crown.

There's still some pretty interesting characters, is what I am saying.
  • ResidentKnievel 6 Jun 2012 20:53:44 6,240 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's plenty, but none of them are in the desert.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 20:54:00 06-06-2012

• PazJohnMitch 6 Jun 2012 21:52:07 8,350 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ned was a strong character but a fair chunk of that came from casting Sean Bean. I doubt he would have agreed to do the show if he had to commit any longer to it. He has already done his extended stint in TV with Sharpe. (And even then that was lots of 3 part mini series).
  • Deleted user 6 June 2012 22:22:34
    Wow, just finished watching last episode of game of thrones season 2 LOVE this show!! So so so good. Season 3 can't come soon enough.
  • Deleted user 6 June 2012 22:24:03
    Oh I had to come post in here as I don't want to get told off again, made the grave mistake of posting my thoughts on the tv show in the game section!!! The horror of it.
  • geeza2020 13 Jun 2012 11:01:15 1,888 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just managed to catch up with this. Although the second series has its good points (The Iron Islanders, The Man, John Snow beyond the wall, and the continued excellence of Jack Gleeson as Joffrey, plus more Dinklage) I can't help but feel it's not as memorable as the first. I cant quite put my finger on why yet, but maybe I am being too harsh and need some perspective. The final two episodes of series two were pretty awesome when you consider you're watching a TV show, but big battles and CGI dont a good series make.

I think that the main reason why I dislike the second series when compared to the first is Daenarys/Khaleesi (sp?) is frankly a bit rubbish in it. In the first she had Drogo to be awesome for her, and I couldnt wait for them both to be charging about Westeross with their horsemen. But it just feels like very little happens in her story in the second series, she gets to Qarth very late in the running too, and then very little seems to happen there until the final two episodes anyway.

All in all though, I'm enjoying this show more than anything else on TV at the moment, and I can't wait for series 3!
  • BinaryBob101 13 Jun 2012 11:17:29 23,568 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    EYEBROWS!

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• HoriZon 13 Jun 2012 17:40:27 13,565 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• HoriZon 13 Jun 2012 17:40:50 13,565 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted

• sirtacos 13 Jun 2012 19:26:34 7,319 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Salaman is right methinks. The Red God probably bestows this face-changing power to his ardent followers or some shit.

Woops. Way late with this reply

Edited by sirtacos at 19:27:16 13-06-2012
  • Salaman 14 Jun 2012 11:38:30 19,301 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, there might be a few awkward moments if you're watching it with the inlaws and your kids.
  • Aretak 14 Jun 2012 11:43:32 10,367 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    EyeLand wrote:
    I was wondering if season 1 is too gory/sexy for a family get together? Probably.
    No family occasion is complete without a child being crippled and a dwarf banging some whores.
  • Megapocalypse 14 Jun 2012 11:53:18 5,472 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't forget incest. Fun for all the family.
  • Benno 14 Jun 2012 13:02:07 10,049 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    glol
  • Tonka 14 Jun 2012 13:04:51 20,823 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OMG, look at the state of that pavement. And the houses? Where is that? Some third world country I surmise.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• HoriZon 14 Jun 2012 13:58:06 13,565 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The US of A then.

• Page

of 289 First / Last