In-ear headphones

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • FWB 26 Feb 2011 11:53:07 44,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any recommendations for walkmaning? Oh and where would be the best place to buy them?
  • FWB 26 Feb 2011 12:06:53 44,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually quite like the ones that penetrate my ear, delving deep into my aural canal. But thanks for the tip.
  • Dynamize 26 Feb 2011 13:18:44 1,672 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I recently got some Sennheiser CX300 II to replace my broken Logitech thingies which I can't remember the name of.

They're pretty good, maybe a touch too bassy for my tastes but they have a richer sound than the cheaper Logitech pair.
    One thing that I'm wary of is the sturdiness of them; quite thin, light wiring between the 'phones and the wire seperator bit, although they do have some long sheaths at the 'phone end which might stop the bane of my headphone existence - left channel wire crapping out.

Still, at ~28 they're pretty affordable and sound good. Got mine from John Lewis because I wanted to immediately replace my broken pair (so the highstreet's still got that in its favour), with 2 year manufacturer's guarantee on the receipt.
    Play and all that probably do them a touch cheaper.
  • kentmonkey 26 Feb 2011 13:36:04 20,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Loads of fake CX300II's on the net. Even Amazon Marketplace sellers have been accused of distributing them. So if you buy a pair, probably better to pay John Lewis a few extra quid (and it is only normally a few, as they're pretty good price wise) and get a cosher pair.
  • infoxicated 26 Feb 2011 13:41:10 1,098 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shure's noise isolating SE115's are on sale right now at Advancedmp3.co.uk

I've been using them and their predecessors for four years and the sound quality is fantastic. Sadly the build quality can be suspect if you're rough with them, but there's a 2 year warranty on them that Shure will honour without question if you buy them from an authorised dealer.

In fact, I had a pair had their EC2's originally and when they broke, Shure sent me their SE110's which had superceeded them as a replacement.
  • ecureuil 26 Feb 2011 13:57:05 76,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Actually quite like the ones that penetrate my ear, delving deep into my aural canal. But thanks for the tip.

Yeah me too, but the left one always falls out. Even using the different sized coverings, I can't get it to stay.
  • kentmonkey 26 Feb 2011 13:58:00 20,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    infoxicated wrote:
    Shure's noise isolating SE115's are on sale right now at Advancedmp3.co.uk

I've been using them and their predecessors for four years and the sound quality is fantastic. Sadly the build quality can be suspect if you're rough with them, but there's a 2 year warranty on them that Shure will honour without question if you buy them from an authorised dealer.

In fact, I had a pair had their EC2's originally and when they broke, Shure sent me their SE110's which had superceeded them as a replacement.
    advancedmp3.co.uk doesn't appear to be a site at all. Just comes up with an affiliate website when I go to that address.
  • SergeantMajorFury 26 Feb 2011 14:02:42 336 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Should be advancedmp3players.co.uk or amp3.co.uk, that's why.

Edit: Linky to the SE115's
  • kentmonkey 26 Feb 2011 14:04:15 20,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ah cool, thanks.
  • simiankid 1 Mar 2011 11:27:55 594 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gah, wish I'd bothered to check this thread before buying my latest 'phones. Bought a pair of Sony MDR-EX76's on the basis that I've had a lot of good experience with mid-range sony stuff (especially the MD series).

They're rubbish. Tinny, cold sound with no mid at all and a hugely flat bass response. Absolutely gutted - they're actually putting me off listening to music : (
  • Zerobob 1 Mar 2011 11:44:58 1,605 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    Yuin PK3. They sound better than those annoying earphones that go right into your ear canal.

They'll take 2 weeks to arrive from China, but they're better than anything else around, and are cheap to boot. I've never been happy with any pair of headphones before these.

eBay

Really? Really?! They look like shit, no offence. Don't they leak noise like a motherfucker too, being earbuds?

I have to admit if you are looking at earphones under 60 it makes no difference at all how much you pay for them. It's a complete minefield. I also wouldn't trust reviews too much. I swear a lot of people who test earphones must be half deaf.

I've got some recommended AKG K26P, but they are uncomfy, look silly sitting on your ears rather than over them, and the sound is sort of muffled and boomy - too bass heavy. Perfect for dance music I guess but not rock and metal.

I currently use some Sennheiser CX400 II's which were only 18 on Play.com and are holding up well after 6 months. Again, the sound is a bit sort of boomy and undefined in terms of the soundstage, but they block out a fair bit of outside noise, are quite comfy and give decent bass definition and excellent definition to the most subtle of sounds when they feel like it. Good pair of phones to casually listen to things on for extended periods of time as the sound is easy in your ear, rather than sharp and constantly assaulting your ear.
  • coda 27 Apr 2011 16:08:41 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Could anyone recommend some sub-20 in-ear phones?

I've been looking at the Klipsch Image S3's but they've gotten afew mixed reviews.

Bass is important to me but I'm more concerned by headphones having well defined high's and good imaging/soundstage.
  • morriss 3 Jun 2011 19:05:59 70,930 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Running, in-ear phones. Or, are the suggestions above good to use while running?
  • Dirtbox 3 Jun 2011 19:23:58 77,701 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/yuin-pk3-2826.html

I got them on rod's word thinking why the hell not and they're amazingly good. Quite bassy, but still very clear.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• morriss 3 Jun 2011 19:34:55 70,930 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cool. What about noise-leak?
  • morriss 3 Jun 2011 19:36:58 70,930 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I listen to a lot of Beastie Boys, Gorillaz, Chemical Brothers, Underworld etc. etc. when I run. Will they be good for that, do you think?
  • Tomo 3 Jun 2011 19:41:27 13,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My Senns (4th? maybe 5th pair) died a few weeks ago, so perhaps it's time to try another brand. Think I'll give those PK3s a go too...
  • beastmaster 3 Jun 2011 19:57:43 11,322 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got Shure SE115. They are crystal clear.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• whatthefu 3 Jun 2011 20:01:59 869 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would perhaps like a pair of decent earphones for my iriver player.
    I dont fancy the in-ear ones since you can hear your own footsteps.
    As they would be used for weight lifting and running, a design that helps keeps them in your ear would be important (but without being in the ear canal).
    Budget options preferred.
  • coda 3 Jun 2011 20:12:27 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I use a pair of Sony EX-90's and absolutely love them, the bass power and general clarity of sound is phenomenal. I've used them at the gym a few times and they've never fallen out while on the treadmill, so I don't see why they wouldn't stay in while running. They also have that style of cable that loops around the back of your head which is very useful.

If you buy them then let me as I know of a really easy way to mod them that makes the bass even better.
  • whatthefu 4 Jun 2011 18:28:08 869 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone got anything like i mentioned above, but under 30?
  • coda 4 Jun 2011 18:36:24 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've also got a pair of Soundmagic PL30's which I use when commuting, the cable loops around the back of your ear which makes them stay in firmly.

Again, they're in-ear monitors so not exactly what you're looking for but I don't know what you mean with the footstep comment.. I've never experienced that with ear canal headphones and I've owned many!

They cost me just 22 and I'd consider them a bargain at that price.
  • THFourteen 4 Jun 2011 18:42:28 33,184 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How about these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-PMX-680-High-Performance-Headphone/dp/B0034L3G8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307209292&sr=8-1
  • morriss 4 Jun 2011 18:54:37 70,930 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers. They look perfect. Reviewed well too.
  • Tomo 9 Jun 2011 11:57:21 13,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My pair of Yuin PK3s turned up the other day. They really are wonderful little headphones! I was prepared to be disappointed but they pick out a lot of detail.
  • BlackSentoki 9 Jun 2011 12:04:49 917 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shure SE535s (or the earlier 530s) are great. A bit expensive perhaps...!
  • delboy83uk 9 Jun 2011 12:54:18 316 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I recently purchased a pair of Klipsch S4 headphones for about 36 (RRP is about 80 -90 i think). I'd had two pairs of sennheisers fall to pieces at the jack withink 12 months, made from shoddily put together rubber that perished and fell apart.

The Klipsch headphones not only sound awesome but actually have a headphone jack that wasnt designed by an imbecile.
  • Zerobob 9 Jun 2011 14:53:41 1,605 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    delboy83uk wrote:
    I recently purchased a pair of Klipsch S4 headphones for about 36 (RRP is about 80 -90 i think). I'd had two pairs of sennheisers fall to pieces at the jack withink 12 months, made from shoddily put together rubber that perished and fell apart.

The Klipsch headphones not only sound awesome but actually have a headphone jack that wasnt designed by an imbecile.

Hmm, I've heard a lot of people online say their Sennheisers broke or fell apart, but mine are still in mint condition a year after purchase. No sign at all of them perishing or breaking whatsoever. I don't look after them at all either as they were only 17. I fling them onto my desk or throw them loose into my bag all the time.

Anyway, where did you buy your Klipsch S4s from for 36 by the way?
  • President_Weasel 9 Jun 2011 15:45:24 9,175 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just had another pair of Sennheisers fall apart on me (actually, they developed a loose connection at the jack so the sound to one ear started cutting out) so I'll be trying another brand this time. I've still got a pair of arctic cooling wooden in-ears, but the sound quality is just poor enough compared to the sennheisers that I'm willing to spend 50 quid on the SE115s to improve my daily.
    I'm not willing to save 15 by buying the pink ones though.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous