Restaurant's Dress Codes

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • wobbly_Bob 2 Feb 2011 16:47:47 1,627 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hate that every half decent restaurant has silly dress codes with most of them falling under the smart casual code. Look im paying you 100 pounds for dinner if i want to wear jeans and trainers then who cares? As long as you dont look like a meth addled tramp then whats the problem? I wonder if its a classist thing, since its britain? Ok you are too poor to own a suit so you dont belong.... i do own a suit and shirt and even a tie but i want to be comfortable when im out and not conform to some silly code of what you think i should be wearing as long as im clean and tidy who cares? I just find it silly and annoying.

What do you all think?
  • Chopsen 2 Feb 2011 16:49:52 15,727 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's about the experience and making the surroundings nice for other people. If everybody looks
    smart and nice, it makes it a nicer experience all round.

You filthy tramp.
  • iancognito 2 Feb 2011 16:50:30 998 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Conversely I hate being out to dinner at a half-decent restaurant in trousers, shirt & maybe a tie and being sat near some scruffy git in their jeans and t-shirt. I think it's a class thing.
  • neilka 2 Feb 2011 16:56:26 15,668 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You mean you haven't read rauper's post about the EG dress code?!

/adjusts straw boater
  • RyanDS 2 Feb 2011 16:58:22 9,062 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    As long as you dont look like a meth addled tramp then whats the problem??

It's easier to say "wear a suit" than try to have subjective dress codes. What constitutes a meth addled tramp to one person is just a scruffy person to the next. So one day I get turned away because I am not smart enough, the next day my friend, dressed exactly the same gets in as it's a different waiter who has interpreted the rules differently. So I get shitty and tell the restaurant to fuck off and it all gets messy.

Much easier to just say "wear a suit."
  • wobbly_Bob 2 Feb 2011 16:59:08 1,627 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /adjusts hoodie and tightens string around trakkiea... no.

You bunch of trampist snobs, we are people too.
  • smoothpete 2 Feb 2011 16:59:11 31,347 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mcdonalds has a dress code. You have to wear a shirt or a top, whatever, no bare chests. Fucking unreasonable, how am I supposed to rub cheeseburgers over my nipples with a shirt on?
  • Pike 2 Feb 2011 17:00:01 13,448 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Mcdonalds has a dress code. You have to wear a shirt or a top, whatever, no bare chests. Fucking unreasonable, how am I supposed to rub cheeseburgers over my nipples with a shirt on?

You just have to press with enough force.
  • kalel 2 Feb 2011 17:57:37 86,409 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Ivy has no dress code.

In fact, the scruffier you dress, the more famous people will assume you are.
  • President_Weasel 2 Feb 2011 18:36:12 8,981 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The more famous people will assume you are what?
  • morriss 2 Feb 2011 18:38:31 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I pay my money therefore I can do what I like and no-one has the right to question or judge me.

Thatcher's Britain. Thatcher's. Britain.
  • TechnoHippy 2 Feb 2011 18:40:54 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:

You just have to press with enough force.

Or just cut suitable holes.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• simplerotation 3 Feb 2011 10:31:25 332 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I second the what restaurants are these? I work in a casual, dot.com style office, so we go to posh restaurants in Jeans and t-shirts all the time, it's bill-gates chic.
    I think it's an attitude thing, or possibly a BO thing, there's a world of difference from casual jeans to smelly tramp jeans.
  • nickthegun 3 Feb 2011 10:35:46 58,851 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like to think it's partially down to me but, sadly, my local tesco metro have introduced a 'no pyjamas' policy.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• sport 3 Feb 2011 10:36:43 12,572 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Giant bow tie or GTFO!!!
  • nickthegun 3 Feb 2011 10:38:15 58,851 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    simplerotation wrote:
    I think it's an attitude thing, or possibly a BO thing, there's a world of difference from casual jeans to smelly tramp jeans.

This is the thing a £5 pair of jeans look like a £5 pair of jeans.

I've been let in places before where I havent adhered to the dress code but because I'm so dapper, I can get away with it.

He totally called it

• neilka 3 Feb 2011 10:40:24 15,668 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Giant bow tie or GTFO!!!
    Does it have to rotate?
  • andytheadequate 3 Feb 2011 10:40:34 8,081 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I like to think it's partially down to me but, sadly, my local tesco metro have introduced a 'no pyjamas' policy.

I'm not usually a supporter of Tesco but I back them completely on this policy...

When I was at Uni, doing my final yea exams, some idiot wore their pyjamas to it
  • nickthegun 3 Feb 2011 10:42:31 58,851 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was frankly disgusted. My Calvin Klein bottoms look twice as good as some of the stuff the local weirdos wear.

He totally called it

• sport 3 Feb 2011 10:44:58 12,572 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    sport wrote:
    Giant bow tie or GTFO!!!
    Does it have to rotate?

Preferably, if not, then add giant squirting flower on lapel.
  • kalel 3 Feb 2011 10:52:03 86,409 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    simplerotation wrote:
    I second the what restaurants are these? I work in a casual, dot.com style office, so we go to posh restaurants in Jeans and t-shirts all the time, it's bill-gates chic.

Claridges and the other Gordon Ramsey restaurants have dress codes, but I think it's just "no jeans or trainers", nothing beyond that. Buddha Bar is also no trainers.

The only restaurant I know of that has a true dress code (i.e. jacket required) is The Ritz, and you know...it's The Ritz. It's kinda what you go there for (not that I go there).

Ironically many many more nightclubs (and strip clubs) have codes than restaurants. The vast majority of restaurants have none, even the most expensive ones. And frankly if you're going to an expensive restaurant dressed like a tramp then you're either George Michael or a dick.
  • L_Franko Moderator 3 Feb 2011 13:11:17 9,694 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If I was to go to an expensive restaurant and there was no dress code I'd still want to suit up.
    I was in a posh'ish place last night just for a drink and everyone that was walking through the door was dressed nice and smart then there is me sat there in a hoodie, jeans and trainers and I felt rather scruffy and out of place.

My step brother got my family into The Fat Duck on Tuesday and I can't imagine anyone getting to up the drive way without a suit.
    I didn't go because I'm poor :D
  • AaronTurner 3 Feb 2011 13:12:26 7,594 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What the? I've been to loads of nice and fairly expensive restaurants wearing jeans and a tshirt. No one batted an eyelid, they just wanted my money is all.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2011 13:14:41
    This is my favourite bit:

wobbly_Bob wrote:
    i do own a suit and shirt and even a tie

Even a tie! The rarest of suit accessories.
  • kalel 3 Feb 2011 13:17:23 86,409 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fat Duck has no dress code.
  • RyanDS 3 Feb 2011 13:18:30 9,062 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    If I was to go to an expensive restaurant and there was no dress code I'd still want to suit up.
    I was in a posh'ish place last night just for a drink and everyone that was walking through the door was dressed nice and smart then there is me sat there in a hoodie, jeans and trainers and I felt rather scruffy and out of place.

My step brother got my family into The Fat Duck on Tuesday and I can't imagine anyone getting to up the drive way without a suit.
    I didn't go because I'm poor :D

Fat Duck Website...

•We do not have a dress code
    http://www.thefatduck.co.uk/Reservations/

Edit: shit, I was actually looking to see about maybe treating my wife for a meal there. £160pp for the tasting menu is a bit out of my range though. Plus service charge that's £360 before you even think of drinks.

Anyone recomend anywhere good that I'd get away for under £200?
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous